City National Bank Employee Reviews

Stress and Drama!!!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 24, 2018
I worked at several locations over a 10 year period. There is a lot of drama and bad management in the area. It is a high stress job. The manager at Huntington office would belittle the staff and remind you that you are replaceable on a regular basis. Absolute worst manager I have worked for in the company. Spare yourself the stress and petty drama. It isn't worth it.
Easy going co-worlers
Teller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 20, 2018
Although it has been many years since I worked there, it was a friendly atmosphere with very good management. I worked as a teller, head teller and was training as a Customer Service Representative.
competitive sales job
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJune 13, 2018
This job wasn't the job for me. You really have to be very good at sales and want that to be your main focus. You need to be very good with computers and willing to do a lot of training often. I didn't appreciate the way that customers would treat the employees and management was very poor. You're guaranteed to get the hours that you applied for and the schedule is flexible if you need certain times off.
Pros
accrued paid time off, holidays off, fixed hours
Cons
competitive, stressful, sales driven, poor management
Workplace Summary
Teller (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 4, 2018
I loved working here. I loved the fact that it was very client centered and you engage with private and celebrity clients on a personal level. This is a great job, especially for students.
Managment is inhumane
Lead QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 31, 2018
Managment was very insensitive to employees. I worked in the business side and they fired me without any explanation. They claim they care about employees but they are just another horrible company who only care about numbers. They also steal employees aggressively from penny mac very fake. Horrible company.
Pros
not much
Cons
Insensitive care about numbers, fake and deceiving
Business Development
Client Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 22, 2018
In this role you have the opportunity to learn the role of business development through cross enterprise working relationships. There is a lot of different career paths available
Pros
career paths availability
Cons
technology needs an overhaul
Maintained various positions as a lender, in management and sales.
Senior Vice President, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAMay 10, 2018
I was with the bank for almost 25 years. I started my career as a loan officer and had several promotions over the years to key positions in management and sales.
Amazing place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 7, 2018
The people that I worked for were at city national bank were some of the best people I know. They work with you and train you on areas that you need to improve on and help you with any questions that you have. They treat you like you are one of them and want to keep you working for them in the long term. They look for areas for advancement for you if they see fit at that position.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Sitting at your desk a lot of the time.
Proceed Cautiously
LOS ANGELES (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 30, 2018
CNB Marketing organization has a great group of marketing team leaders that get along great. It makes the job bearable. Senior Management is another story. It is a very ambiguous environment that is ruled from the top of the company and any marketing professional who wants to make a difference should look elsewhere. Marketing team in this group are order-takers and if something goes awry the SVP of Marketing is quick to deflect her responsibility onto those team members who have little or no control over the outcome of specific situations. Recent changes in marketing have left people unsure of their future and with the exit of key roles for no apparent reason other than the SVP was done with them, people are actively looking. It's not a healthy environment for growth or mental / emotional well being.
Pros
Colleagues, salary, bonus, benefits
Goal oriented enviornment
BCI, Business Service Manager, Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 25, 2018
Customer service is essential in this job, high end clients, sales calls and business development needed. Very high expectations from clients and employer. Team oriented environment .
worth a try
INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2018
It's a area/dept where one can learn a lot if it is a new area for you. The culture is mixed, however the environment is very negative. No room for growth. The most enjoyable part is knowing there is a payday coming. It just all depends on where one wants to be in his or her career path. Also it depends on your location and in which the dept you work.
Pros
near metro trains
Cons
the area
City National Bank
Imaging Processor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 4, 2018
Has amazing job advancements very family oriented they are very understanding and offer great education for advancement I would very much so recommend working here
A Good Company to Work For
Transit Operator / Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 3, 2018
Work day went fast because it was always busy and I like that. I looked forward to company events and interaction with my co-workers. I was saddened when the layoffs happened. I lost my job to technology.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
didn't last
Poor Onboarding Process
Assistant Vice President; FIU - KYC Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
While Day 1 was very promising and something I hadn't experienced in my 20+ years of working within a bank, the process after Day 1 was an absolute mess. I can only speak for the business unit I was in, but it was terrible. I was discouraged from asking the people working around me for assistance becasue Management was afraid that they may find out I had no prior immediate experience in the area I was managing, but then they also gave me little to no training to understand what it was that I was supposed to be managing. I can manage anything, I stepped in and made immediate adjustments to how production was being viewed, but then was discouraged from communicating anything since they were afraid it might ruffle feathers. They were happier with people sitting at their desks on their cell phones and socializing than doing their job; but complained that they were months behind the case loads. The company's training is well below poor. I didn't even get my ID access until two month's had already passed. All I can really say is that I was extremely disappointed. I've seen better training in fast food businesses and I was managing multi-million transactions.
Good Bank
SR. CLIENT MANAGER/VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2018
Nice place to work, with good benefits.
I loved the clients and the workplace culture.
I only left because my office was closed.
Enjoyed City National.
Vice President, Events & Strategic Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2018
I very much enjoyed the colleagues that I worked with at CNB. The hardest part of the job was the management as well as the culture of the bank. This was a culture I have never experienced at other employers that I have work for.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Poor Management
Collaborative environment
Residential Lending Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2018
Colleagues at City National Bank are intelligent, talented and well-informed. There is a team atmosphere and it is easy to get help or information when needed.
Competitive and Challenging
VP, Sales Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2018
CNB was a great company to work for with solid benefits. The company merged with RBC in 2015 and is currently going through a culture change which may hamper career growth with legacy employees
Pros
Solid Reputation in the industry
Cons
Losing it's Culture due to many changes with management structure
Great reputation with commercial, private banking and entertainment industries.
Vice President, Sr. Residential Lending Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2018
Interesting and challenging work; entrepreneurship and creativity valued; good working relationships and camaraderie with your peers; profit sharing. Great company -cares about employees
Productive place fun place to work and learn
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2018
A typical day at work is greeting customers and helping them figure out what account is best for them. Cash transactions as well. I learned how to be patience and listen more to the customers. I had a great manager very understanding thought me so much and she would work with you if there was a issue that had to be taken care of. The hardest part of the job was sales but once I got comfortable with the product it got a lot easier. The best part was the staff meetings and going to the evening events to get new customers
Pros
Incentives when a goal was reached
Cons
short lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City National Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight