City University of New York Employee Reviews

Not good at all.
Porter/Janitor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
To much Politics with the city and this job. The cost of living makes more money then I do. I have to work 2 jobs to take care of my two kids an I have a college student my Daughter is in her third year of college and I’m in the hole with financial loans.
Poor Management
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  BMCC, AATCOctober 4, 2018
Typical work day, answer phones, sign students in, advise students. You will basically do every thing a full timer is doing but you get paid way less. I worked in an office where favoritism is prevalent. The director should not be a director.
Pros
Health Care, Can lead to full time position, paid leave
Cons
Poor management
ok job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  baruch collegeOctober 1, 2018
the job itself is easy, and can be fun depending on the supervisor. the higher ups are the wicked kind of people though. I did a great evaluation on a friday, came to work saturday, and was fired after my days off, on tuesday. thats wicked! management sucks!
Stressful Environment
Assistant Principal/Chairperson (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2018
Great students who are motivated to achieve, but the organization is wallowing in a bureaucratic morass. Wish more resources were devoted to student wellness in the emotional realm.
Great Pharmacology Professor
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
NA Research Assistant( Student)
Great Pharmacology Professor, knowledgeable
Friendly staff
Field work helped with subject matter
Adjustable hours and flexible schedule
Pros
Adjustable hours
Cons
Only lasted 1 year
Human Resources plan, direct and coordinate the administrative functions of an organization.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
My job gives me the opportunity to have a positive impact on people's lives both on the job and outside of the job. I make a difference every day i am employed here. Tt feels good to make a difference. At my job i work with nice people and learn a lot on the day to day basis, everyone is always uplifting one another.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
N/a
challenging work environment
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2018
CUNY is a challenging and under-resourced work environment. The work can be satisfying as the students are generally wonderful and looking to improve their futures. There is a lot of confusion as information is often not shared for fear that it will not be well received. Senior management is knowledgeable but choices are often constrained by intense office politics. Since it is public employment, you will have to learn to work around those with a limited notion of their job duties. Having said that, I think most people working at CUNY want to make an impact. There is a need for new blood however.
Pros
schedule, impact
Cons
salary, resources
fun place
Public Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYAugust 19, 2018
fun places to work..staff is fun workers are fun . .wish i didn't move to Georgia. or else i would still be working their.wish i could go back their to work
Fantastic benefits, good mission, lousy salaries, great work-live balance
Business Intelligence Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
This is one of the few places you can get a lifetime pension, lifetime medical insurance for you and your family, and be supporting a great mission. However, in IT you are unlikely to progress; there just isn't space for growth.
Great position to add to your resume
Campus Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
I learned a lot from being a Peace officer, great training. The academy gets you prepared to get out on the field. This position can set you up for a better opportunity.
Audit Benefits Coordinator
University Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
It was a nice City/State job however, many of the mangers were micro-managers and knew nothing about the job that the each employee they monitored did, nor did they take an interest in learning. Each colllege acts like its own entity, when they are all uner the City University
Pros
4 days off 5/28-9/6 summer Fridays, all holidays, weekends, etc.
Cons
management, each school thinks they are their own entity
College assistant/ Laboratory technician
College Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  2800 victory blvd. Staten island NY 10314June 27, 2018
I was able to work with the instructor in the astronomy and physics lab. Helping students to learn the material better, and taught them techniques on how to use the laboratory's equipment.
Pros
very interesting
Cons
was a part time job
working with new intakes into the seek program
Peer Coach (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 14, 2018
On any given day, we would welcome at least 25-30 students. they will come in for any thing like metro cards to meeting with their counselor for support.
Pros
very friendly environment to work in
Cons
salary and benefit
Cheating, harassment
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
I had to deal with student cheating, harassment, verbal abuse on a $70 per hour salary and no more than 9 hours per week as my contract stated. My side of the story never mattered
Chairmen didn't solve any problems, just cashed in $150K+ .
Lots of plagiarism among professors that copy my materials and books and give it to others. No leadership.
At John Jay College the HR deactivated my employee account upon getting the job for 1.5 months. A John Jay I got no IT support, the classroom had open windows exposed to construction dust and no air conditioner. At John Jay the classroom was overcrowded with 29 students per 24 seats/PC room, no up-t0-date compilers, Nobody cared and I had to solve these problems for $70 per hour.
At Medgar Evers College an observer would want me to sign blank evaluations while he will give them cooked after 6 months to the chair.
At Medgar Evers I was threatened by students that if I don't give them A's I will not work there anymore. At Medgar Evers College they erased my Blackboard account of all courses to demote me
At NYCCT they still didn't pay me all the raised wages from a year ago and there's no one to talk to to solve any problems
Pros
a job
Cons
no fairness, no leadership
Great Opportunity to Meet Great People
Legal Assistant, Professional Staff Congress (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
I worked for the Union that represented the Professors and Professional Staff at CUNY. It was an environment that gave you great access to a great College.
good benefits
High Pressure Plant Tender (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 4, 2018
good benefits however new management has created a little bit of a problem other then that the job is great laid back friendly environment i would highly recommend.
Consultant for CUNY
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kingsborough Community College, Brooklyn, NYMay 31, 2018
The job required me to travel from Stamford, CT to Brooklyn, NY. once a week. My daughter was an infant at the time and I traveled with her. The commute back and forth took me more than 5 hours due to traffic. It wasn't enjoyable, but that was my decision. My supervisor (Director) was awesome and I still was able to review foreign academic credentials.
Pros
Able to continue in my chosen profession
Cons
The travel
Fast paced, challenging work environment
Enrollment Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 23, 2018
Fast paced, challenging work environment. Always a learning process, regardless of years working there is always room for an improvement and gathering more knowledge. Everyday work is not just processing and evaluating high school and college transcripts, it is all about helping students to get in to colleges.
CUNY Great place to work
Adjunct Instructor of Anatomy & Physiology (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
Great place to work. Students are generally first generation immigrants who very committed to their studies, eager to learn and with lots of life experience.
Pros
Nice compensation
love the position
Intruduction (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYMay 7, 2018
knowledgeable, hardworking faculty & staff, care about students and their success and try to accommodate the best learning environment, and the most advanced learning tools.