City University of New York Employee Reviews

love the position
Intruduction (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYMay 7, 2018
knowledgeable, hardworking faculty & staff, care about students and their success and try to accommodate the best learning environment, and the most advanced learning tools.
Dead end job led by liars
Hunter College College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
I endured a lot of micro-managing from my supervisor, who was never seen by my colleagues as a professional.She would belittle her staff front of all.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Micro-managing, no upward mobility, extra work with no pay
Wonderful and fast pace place to work
Coordinator of Administrative and School Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
There is never a typical day at work. Each and everyday your had different assignments and work to accomplished.
Management was wonderful to work with and assisted you in accomplished what need to be done.

Workplace culture was cohesive where everyone work as a team in a cohesive manner.
Good stable company to work for
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
Good stable company to work for. Great 4 day work week during the summer. Salary increases not necessary always year to year, but overall very good once you received one.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Relaxed environment with multi cultural student interaction
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYApril 9, 2018
I enjoyed my experience teaching in the Massage Therapy program and the positive interactions i had with the students. The program coordinator is an exceptional leader and wonderful to work with. This program has exceptional teachers and the students get a very good entry level introduction to the profession of massage.
Pros
Teaching new students
Cons
politics
Decent institution for professors
Professor of Nursing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2018
If you're interested in helping the future of tomorrow in many of the undeserved areas of the city, this is a great place to work and make a difference.
Pros
Paid summers off
Cons
Lack of resources
Bons beneficios; flexibilidade do horario de trabalho
Especialista em Melhoria de Qualidade (educacao) (Current Employee) –  Cidade de Nova YorkApril 6, 2018
A CUNY oferece um bom ambiente de trabalho; ha flexibilidade da jornada de trabalho e os beneficios sao acima da media.
Pros
beneficios
Cons
nao oferece vale-refeicao
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2018
Great place to work! The College is a great institution where students get the support, guidance and encouragement to do their best and prepare themselves for real world work/career experiences
Pros
Helping students learn and grow is rewarding.
Cons
Salaries for Adjuncts could be better
grant and data driven
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 27, 2018
The focus is getting more and more grant money and having everything driven by data. This compromises the work programs do with students and greatly compromises the working culture and staff satisfaction.
Productive work environment
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 26, 2018
The work environment is very relaxed, I enjoy working alone without constant supervision. My job requires a lot of travel time to different locations which can be quite a hassle. The hardest part of the job is learning so many new information everyday, I wish I had more training before I was thrown in the field. However, I am a hands on learner so with more experience I was able to manage. The attorney I worked with are very knowledgeable and always available to answer my questions or concerns. The most rewarding part of the job is the reaction and result of those people who I've helped obtaining citizenship or helping them bring their family together.
Pros
Free food at events
Great company to work for
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYFebruary 26, 2018
CUNY is an amazing company to begin a career with. There are many opportunities for growth and advancement as there are many campuses and headquarters throughout the greater NYC area.
productive
College assistant, Bronx Community College (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 25, 2018
The environment is friendly but strict. The students at the college are respectful and so are the staff co-workers. If ever I need help in anything as simple as timesheets, they will be there to guide you.
The Library Department is a great place to work.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2018
The Library Department is a great place to work, and employees are treated respectfully, and their input matters. The staff really make you feel valued.
Excellent Work place
INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2018
I enjoyed working their...! It given me great experience .The supervisor is very friendly person.Everyone at the workplace welcomed me to assist their problems.I learned lot from this place
It was fun workplace
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 17, 2018
I did my PhD and postdoctoral research here. Although departmental facility is minimal, it was fun to work in a collaborative environment. My mentor is a great person and I work here because of him.
Unfortunate experience
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
The PI explicitly made decisions regarding the direction of the academic research being performed based on purely political dealings. This culminated in the actual disposal of valuable data. In fact, the disposed data bolstered the scientific argument and instead, favored the use of isotopically enhanced compounds. While excellent markers in their own right, the isotopically enhanced compounds were favored so as to curry favor with a joint research group.
Varies by department
poet (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2018
CUNY has been very supportive of me -- I have been a grad fellow and an adjunct at the CUNY colleges. CUNY has large, diverse classes, which makes teaching interesting and at times, challenging (the size fo the classes is challenging).
Pros
health insurance after several semesters
Cons
space availability
Cuny is cuny
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 4, 2018
Great learning opportunity, wonderful people, at an institution that values diversity a great deal. Enjoyed my stay and contributed specially to the recruitment strategy of the college by pointing out a risk that if left unattended could have costed the college a lot.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Low salaries and a tough bureaucracy
My Work Day
Confidential Executive Coordinator, HR Pol & Strat (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2018
A typical day at work for me includes a magnitude of duties which require prioritization, organization, and extreme attention to detail. In my office I've acquired the ability to work effectively with clients and staff members of diverse backgrounds. I am a reliable, resourceful and articulate person who carries both the interpersonal and professional skills that would be conducive to any type of environment.
The culture at my office is focused on intellectual achievement.
I am currently enrolled in the CUNY School of Professional Studies as a Business Management student, an on-line business program to complete my Bachelor’s degree. I have also completed the HR Certification course with HR.com to receive my aPHR Certification.
The hardest part of my job is maintaining poise and professionalism during emergencies and getting the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team-work displayed during continued assigned projects and the relationships established throughout the years of being employed.
Benefits
Cons
Growth process
university environment, continuous learning
Adjunct Lecturer in the department of mathematics (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2018
The City University of New York produces graduates that have and continue to add value to society.

As an adjunct lecturer, work benefits were less than expected for such a prestigious institution.

The City University of New York more than most companies I have been employed to, does allow for employees to present solutions to existing challenges and provides funding for new program and is receptive to re-engineering processes.
Pros
Excellent graduation rate, involved management team
Cons
Poor health insurance and other benefits