City University of New York Employee Reviews

Great position to add to your resume
Campus Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
I learned a lot from being a Peace officer, great training. The academy gets you prepared to get out on the field. This position can set you up for a better opportunity.
Audit Benefits Coordinator
University Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
It was a nice City/State job however, many of the mangers were micro-managers and knew nothing about the job that the each employee they monitored did, nor did they take an interest in learning. Each colllege acts like its own entity, when they are all uner the City University
Pros
4 days off 5/28-9/6 summer Fridays, all holidays, weekends, etc.
Cons
management, each school thinks they are their own entity
College assistant/ Laboratory technician
College Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  2800 victory blvd. Staten island NY 10314June 27, 2018
I was able to work with the instructor in the astronomy and physics lab. Helping students to learn the material better, and taught them techniques on how to use the laboratory's equipment.
Pros
very interesting
Cons
was a part time job
working with new intakes into the seek program
Peer Coach (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 14, 2018
On any given day, we would welcome at least 25-30 students. they will come in for any thing like metro cards to meeting with their counselor for support.
Pros
very friendly environment to work in
Cons
salary and benefit
Cheating, harassment
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
I had to deal with student cheating, harassment, verbal abuse on a $70 per hour salary and no more than 9 hours per week as my contract stated. My side of the story never mattered
Chairmen didn't solve any problems, just cashed in $150K+ .
Lots of plagiarism among professors that copy my materials and books and give it to others. No leadership.
At John Jay College the HR deactivated my employee account upon getting the job for 1.5 months. A John Jay I got no IT support, the classroom had open windows exposed to construction dust and no air conditioner. At John Jay the classroom was overcrowded with 29 students per 24 seats/PC room, no up-t0-date compilers, Nobody cared and I had to solve these problems for $70 per hour.
At Medgar Evers College an observer would want me to sign blank evaluations while he will give them cooked after 6 months to the chair.
At Medgar Evers I was threatened by students that if I don't give them A's I will not work there anymore. At Medgar Evers College they erased my Blackboard account of all courses to demote me
At NYCCT they still didn't pay me all the raised wages from a year ago and there's no one to talk to to solve any problems
Pros
a job
Cons
no fairness, no leadership
Great Opportunity to Meet Great People
Legal Assistant, Professional Staff Congress (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
I worked for the Union that represented the Professors and Professional Staff at CUNY. It was an environment that gave you great access to a great College.
good benefits
High Pressure Plant Tender (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 4, 2018
good benefits however new management has created a little bit of a problem other then that the job is great laid back friendly environment i would highly recommend.
Consultant for CUNY
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kingsborough Community College, Brooklyn, NYMay 31, 2018
The job required me to travel from Stamford, CT to Brooklyn, NY. once a week. My daughter was an infant at the time and I traveled with her. The commute back and forth took me more than 5 hours due to traffic. It wasn't enjoyable, but that was my decision. My supervisor (Director) was awesome and I still was able to review foreign academic credentials.
Pros
Able to continue in my chosen profession
Cons
The travel
Fast paced, challenging work environment
Enrollment Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 23, 2018
Fast paced, challenging work environment. Always a learning process, regardless of years working there is always room for an improvement and gathering more knowledge. Everyday work is not just processing and evaluating high school and college transcripts, it is all about helping students to get in to colleges.
CUNY Great place to work
Adjunct Instructor of Anatomy & Physiology (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
Great place to work. Students are generally first generation immigrants who very committed to their studies, eager to learn and with lots of life experience.
Pros
Nice compensation
love the position
Intruduction (Current Employee) –  Bayside, NYMay 7, 2018
knowledgeable, hardworking faculty & staff, care about students and their success and try to accommodate the best learning environment, and the most advanced learning tools.
Dead end job led by liars
Hunter College College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
I endured a lot of micro-managing from my supervisor, who was never seen by my colleagues as a professional.She would belittle her staff front of all.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Micro-managing, no upward mobility, extra work with no pay
Wonderful and fast pace place to work
Coordinator of Administrative and School Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
There is never a typical day at work. Each and everyday your had different assignments and work to accomplished.
Management was wonderful to work with and assisted you in accomplished what need to be done.

Workplace culture was cohesive where everyone work as a team in a cohesive manner.
Good stable company to work for
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
Good stable company to work for. Great 4 day work week during the summer. Salary increases not necessary always year to year, but overall very good once you received one.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Relaxed environment with multi cultural student interaction
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYApril 9, 2018
I enjoyed my experience teaching in the Massage Therapy program and the positive interactions i had with the students. The program coordinator is an exceptional leader and wonderful to work with. This program has exceptional teachers and the students get a very good entry level introduction to the profession of massage.
Pros
Teaching new students
Cons
politics
Decent institution for professors
Professor of Nursing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2018
If you're interested in helping the future of tomorrow in many of the undeserved areas of the city, this is a great place to work and make a difference.
Pros
Paid summers off
Cons
Lack of resources
Bons beneficios; flexibilidade do horario de trabalho
Especialista em Melhoria de Qualidade (educacao) (Current Employee) –  Cidade de Nova YorkApril 6, 2018
A CUNY oferece um bom ambiente de trabalho; ha flexibilidade da jornada de trabalho e os beneficios sao acima da media.
Pros
beneficios
Cons
nao oferece vale-refeicao
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2018
Great place to work! The College is a great institution where students get the support, guidance and encouragement to do their best and prepare themselves for real world work/career experiences
Pros
Helping students learn and grow is rewarding.
Cons
Salaries for Adjuncts could be better
grant and data driven
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 27, 2018
The focus is getting more and more grant money and having everything driven by data. This compromises the work programs do with students and greatly compromises the working culture and staff satisfaction.
Productive work environment
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 26, 2018
The work environment is very relaxed, I enjoy working alone without constant supervision. My job requires a lot of travel time to different locations which can be quite a hassle. The hardest part of the job is learning so many new information everyday, I wish I had more training before I was thrown in the field. However, I am a hands on learner so with more experience I was able to manage. The attorney I worked with are very knowledgeable and always available to answer my questions or concerns. The most rewarding part of the job is the reaction and result of those people who I've helped obtaining citizenship or helping them bring their family together.
Pros
Free food at events