City University of New York
76Above average

City University of New York Employee Reviews

United States428 reviews
Good place to work.
BMCC staff is friendly and always helpful. My immediate supervisor is always available and supports my efforts greatly. The atmosphere is conducive to learning and teaching.
Absolutely Amazing
Working in an Animation internship at Hostos Community College was an enjoyable and eye-opening experience. I learned a lot about the Animation industry and how to properly work with peers.
negative zero across the board
The managers are overpaid to have other people do their work for them. If you are a family member, friend to one of the employees, wiling to kiss butt, snitch, be dishonest or willing to sleep to the top you are a prefect fit. The people in Human Resources are liars and thieves. The people who actually work are treated worse than slaves.
Worst experience ever
I would never recommend anyone to work at City College of New York they love to hire anyone with bad rap sheets or served time in jail which are the supervisors. They have no respect for workers. You pay union dues and they don’t even have your back. As a custodian I worked as a slave given no respect by supervisors plus co workers are not to be trusted they are all rats
made a difference for the 2 grant years I was contracted
Interfaced with up to 15-20 students daily through one-on-one counseling sessions, online/email conversations and workshops. Successful at getting 8 NYCI students into the America Needs You initiative of the 100 maximum students allowed from CUNY. I was encourage to make suggestions on improving student career counseling services
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
great people
I am very happy with the CUNY system as a whole and hope more people join - I think employee benefits are great, and they are very supportive of staff and their varying needs over the course of one's life. I am very appreciative of the experience I had working there.
Passionate professors
I loved working at City University of New York because I found my colleagues as passionate about education as I was. Everybody was very involved and we all wanted to support our students the best we could.
Poor management and unfair treatment of the mentally ill
The culture is so toxic that managers are lying and manipulating coworkers on a daily basis. Sadly Management is so corrupted by outdated strategies that they are firing talented employees and keeping a lot of incompetent employees who become managers and running this organization in the wrong direction.
Productive working with students
I enjoyed working with students because it allowed me to help them learn and grow in their writing. I also enjoyed working with professors as we coordinated efforts to engage student learning.
Best Criminal Justice Program in the Nation
Teaching at John Jay College is a very rewarding experience. The school attract students from different parts of the world with a keen interest in public service and who have heard of the reputation of the school's criminal justice program in the United States.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City University of New York?
Diversity
There is a lot of diversity and culture at this job. Constantly learning new things and different aspects of the educational world. Flexible work enivroment.
It's a big place
I really have nothing to say. It payed decent for the area. The hardest part was the size of the area meaning you had to be all over the place. The hardest part was that my manager could be a bit unreasonable sometimes.
Everyone has a sense of inclusion and always helps each other to ensure our students have the best learning experience and are either ready for employment or to continue their pursuit of further degrees.
Challenging, Learning new things and good people
Being at CUNY Central Office was the best work experience I ever had..Healthy challenges with strong support and excellent staff. Each day offered something new.
Pros
Office camradrie, Professional respect among peers
Cons
None come to mind.
Good job for a Full time College student who desires extra pocket change
I had a pleasant experience overall. I met a lot of people on campus from the staff to the students. My hours for the semester were solely based on my availability as well as classes that were available. I was paid based on the amount and length on the amount which wasn't a lot.. I couldn't pay rent with my checks, but I was blessed to have some pocket change throughout the semesters.
Great benefits, work environment needs a lot of improvement.
Your day: Come in, mise en place, open the department/office for the day, field questions from professors, students, parents, and other office folk. At lunch, leave the office. Do not stay in the office for your own sake. Leave promptly at the agreed upon time, otherwise everyone will try to make you stay late to do extra. Most of the work is done on a computer and manually filing papers. Great benefits, work environment needs a lot of improvement.
Good. I learned DNA aptamers engineering
Good enough
I like the organisation and the administration

The Work place culture is great

Their is a various topics with very kind.

There's enough space and many majors are available

research z
n/a
Good place but hard to advance. Reach out to as many departments as possible and build connections. Do you HW as well. Would recommend but its a slow process.
safe environment and productive
In the setting that I am in allows me to feel less stress and able to assist people with kindness and respectful too. Also professionalism is the key.
Pros
Best co worker and an amazing Supervisor
Cons
there is none
Scheduling that accommodates my needs.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interfacing with the students, and advancing their knowledge and career aspirations. The company restricts the number of courses that can be taught by an Adjuct. This is a disadvantage to the University and to the Adjunct.
Great place to work and everyone carries on in a friendly manner
Love working for CUNY one of the best jobs yet! Very friendly informative and energetic environment. Everyone is willing to give a hand and always helps in getting the job done
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City University of New York. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.