City University of New York Employee Reviews

adjunct misery
Assistant Professor of Economics (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2019
They don't want any one to have a full-time contract anymore. They want everyone working part-time on a semester to semester basis. The pay is low. There's no job security and no one cares.
Prosecutice and educational
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn nyFebruary 11, 2019
This position allowed me to create projects for residents in the community from 5 years oldv to the elderly I alsonincorporsted outdoor and indoor activities
Public University
ERP Functional Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2019
The needs of this student population is a blend of financial and academic, making this a rewarding place to work. At the same time, these economic considerations of this group created less routine requirements to solve.
Pros
Great experience with a large community of diverse schools.
Cons
Can be resistant to change.
Behind the Scenes of a College NCAA Game D3
Assistant, 1R Athletic Building (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 30, 2019
Able to work the games and know the players around you. Everyone is friendly while working on the job. Able to do more than one task. Working with athletes behind the scenes and making game day possible to them. Hardest part is jumping around but understand the different tasks easily. Once you understand how to do your task it is a breeze from there.
an ever changing culture of creative production team
Senior Producer/ Web Series Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2019
It is an environment where you wear many hats. The ability to learn new things on the job happens daily. There are many creative minds at CUNY TV with the opportunity to help the station with its mission in reaching the public.
Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2019
Very diverse and fun environment. Would recommend positions to college students as they are very flexible with schedules. Most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with students and diversity.
great atmosphere
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2019
The people here are amazing and they care for each other. This is a great organization. anyone who are thinking of joining this organization should do so. You learn so much from the staff.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Na
Not great for adjuncts
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2019
This is a great start for those who wants to teach. However, as an adjunct, they do not treat you well since you are not guaranteed to be hired every semester.
Working in IT for The Graduate Center
I.T. Senior Support Associate Level (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Typical work city work life. 9am to 5pm. Good holidays and of course city benefits.

Work with some great employee's.
I just think if the structure of management was better, a lot more employee's will be happier.
Cons
Too much favoritism and too many seperated groups.
Very Good!
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten IslandJanuary 8, 2019
Great Job, Great people. Enjoyed every moment of it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone. Awesome management and job environment. Best!
Great Organization
CUNY Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2018
Great place to work with full benefits, and free college tuition. Only downside is the salary and the low contract increases. There are different jobs and department that offer different salaries.
Pros
Free college tuition and benefits
Cons
Low salary
Diversity is highlighted on the college campus-base
Human Resources Inquiry of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2018
Responding to internal and external HR related inquiries or requests and provide assistance
Redirecting HR related calls or distribute correspondence to the appropriate person of the team
Maintaining records of personnel-related data in both paper and the database and ensure all employment requirements are met
Pros
Management team player, inquiry problem solver, and people personal skills
Cons
1-9 non-work documentation, suspension, and immediate termination
A great manager in a slow paced environment with many useless employees around
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2018
When I was in graduate school I worked in the learning center of a community college within CUNY. It was a part-time tutoring job with a very low wage. However, my manager was hard working, knowledgeable, and always eager to help. At the same time, other full-time employees did absolutely nothing. They came in the morning and usually left around 2 or 3 pm after staring at their computer screens for a couple of hours. So, it was a job that gave me mixed feelings about the institution. I met a couple of fine people, and the students were really great, but the whole system lacked efficiency, focus, and drive.
Pros
A feeling you are helping individuals to advance academically.
Cons
Highly bureaucratic environment; low salaries; many useless employees
Enjoyed working at CUNY
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  57th and 11Ave, NYDecember 13, 2018
The commute was a killer, but work was enjoyable. My work day was very busy. We supported 13 colleges under CUNY. I had an amazing manager, at the time of need he accommodated me by being flexible. I owe him big time. He retired later, I still will never forget his flexibility in my family situation. I would go back to CUNY any day.
Pros
work
Cons
distance
CUNY Nursing Program
Lehman College Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYOctober 27, 2018
Provides Education at an affordable price with quality instructors. Independent learners will thrive in this environment, large classes, located in the Bronx NYC.
Pros
Affordable tuition
Cons
large classes, requires independence
intern
INTERN NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR, CUNY (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 23, 2018
it was good quality of work. However employees lack the teaching part of things. They expect for you to know everything and be good under no supervision.
It's cuny
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  BMCC, John JayOctober 21, 2018
You get what you get and you don't get upset. It's a bureaucratic city university where people are in the mold of american public life. Don't be alarmed.
Productive work environment
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2018
Typical work day includes preparing for and delivering lecture; conference with students; research new content and platform for delivery of next lecture; grading papers and assignments
Pros
union membership even as a contract/part-time employee
Cons
no security; only 3 month contracts available
Not good at all.
Porter/Janitor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
To much Politics with the city and this job. The cost of living makes more money then I do. I have to work 2 jobs to take care of my two kids an I have a college student my Daughter is in her third year of college and I’m in the hole with financial loans.
Poor Management
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  BMCC, AATCOctober 4, 2018
Typical work day, answer phones, sign students in, advise students. You will basically do every thing a full timer is doing but you get paid way less. I worked in an office where favoritism is prevalent. The director should not be a director.
Pros
Health Care, Can lead to full time position, paid leave
Cons
Poor management