City Year Employee Reviews

Team Lead- Elementary School
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2019
A typical day consists of working with your team in a setting of approximately 5 young adults or more. You have to maintain a very flexible management style seeing as though each school has their own set of specific needs you have to adjust to.
It was a wonderful experience, just not enough resources
Americorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2019
I was super excited to join City Year and enjoyed my time there. For example, I really enjoyed working with my students and seeing them flourish. However, the only pitfall, was that there were not enough resources to help me when I needed it.
Pros
Super fun to work with students and see them grow
Cons
Not enough resources to go around if you need extra help
Life of the Red and Khaki
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 9, 2019
City year was an amazing experience to have putting your foot into the real word. Dealing with kids from all backgrounds and not knowing how it will turn out. My year started off scary but i left with so much love and even alot of friends.
Pros
They provide the uniform, free cellphone, free transpass, great people to work with
Cons
The whole outfit is horrible and then the boots just put the stano of oh my goodness on it.
City Year
AmeriCorp Member (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 23, 2019
When I first heard about City Year I loved everything about it, The culture, The mission, I enjoyed relocating, but after working here for quite a few months I've grown to hate it. My team and I have gotten the short end of the stick since we have started, We had a new manager who did not know anything about city year culture and did not practice any values of city year. Actually most of the Managers at city year do not show many of the values Especially Empathy, Use Corp Members put in 50 hours a week to this job and get paid Very little/ Minimal, It is hard to survive off the paychecks, Most of us do not even have time to make doctor's appointments, or have time to enjoy our personal lives, When we request a day off They give hassles about it, Also Corp Members have so much work to Do, Enter dosage for academic, Behavior, Attendance students and have so much extra stuff SO it always feels like we are playing catch up every other week. Management likes to hold their corp members to very high standards but do not want to reciprocate the same requirements for themselves. Their mission is GREAT but how the corporation goes about executing is not all that great.
Relationship Building
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 27, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to build strong relationships with the students and being able to see them achieve their goals little by little every day.
Inconsistent, Poor Management, Outrageous Expectations
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 29, 2019
The rules and expectations put upon corps members were often more strict than those given to staff or other professionals in education. Corps members were expected to wear the uniform every day and could be written up for even the most minor infraction whereas management was allowed to wear whatever they wanted basically with no repercussions. Corps members had to circle every day at 7:30 and if you were even 30 seconds to 1 minute late, you could get written up for it. It felt as though everything you did, you could get in trouble making the environment incredibly unsupportive. Corps members are responsible for entering data for around 23 students every week and if a student leaves or is uncooperative with assistance even mid year, the corps member is expected to start over with a new student and is forced to make up hundreds of minutes in a short time period. Because of the team leader position, members are often treated inconsistently depending on their relationship with this individual. Expectations are also not upheld site wide, they differ school to school, so basically at one school corps members could get written up for being 30 seconds late whereas at another there was a system that allowed for members to "exchange in minutes" if they had to be ever so slightly late for a reason out of their control. Also, communication between staff members and individual yes was horrendous.
Pros
Free bus pass, education award, working with students, loan forbearance
Cons
Long hours, poor management, structural problems, inconsistent, unempathetic, ableistic
experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2019
*working young adults on a daily bases
*working with different cultures, supervising, creativity
*supervised, keeping track of my team, managing life experiences with young adults. young adult hours tracked, off hours availability for young adults
*fast paste, high morale, fun
*off hours of team members
*the cultural experience
Pros
cultural experience
Cons
off hours work
Excellence
Americorps Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2018
Workers are encouraged from the start and are assisted to develop their excellence and professionalism in general. There are multiple opportunities for leadership and advancement and team work.
Worth it
Educator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 14, 2019
Your students make everything worth it . Everyday is a new day but they all seem to back your tough days better, either with a laugh or smile, or even just getting an a on a quiz.
Management Issues Impeding Growth
Impact Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 9, 2018
Changes in management have created issues for the organization. Management does not get down on the front lines with you to know how day to day operations go. They judge you based on others' opinions of you. You cannot speak up at meetings or you will be on the outs. People that are promoted into higher management do not have the education or skills to be performing at that level. It is run by young people lacking real world skills. Bad work/life balance. Unless you are young and single and able to be on call 24/7, do not apply.
Benefits
Cons
Bad management, poor work/life balance
excellant mission
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 4, 2018
Mission is to serve in low income high schools with the students most at risk of dropping out. The City Year corps members are college age young adults.
Pros
strong mission
Cons
sometimes you have to wear the unform.
Awesome
Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2018
City year is a great organization that was be implemented to have student success coaches in the classrooms of children struggling in content areas of Math and English and Language Arts.
Overwhelming at times
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 5, 2018
Good preparation for a teaching career but it took up all of my time and energy. Wanted to work a part time job but couldn't find the energy. Had little money but made good friends.
Just Not What You'd Expect
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 30, 2018
This is truly a selfless job in every single aspect of it. Don't plan on reaping any type of reward from this job, and do plan on being really exhausted, really stressed, and really poor. You expect the work to be hard, but you don't expect to be so under appreciated. It's a tough position to say the least.
Great but not for me
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
Typical day your writing lesson plans or working with kids or doing nothing, I’ve learned a lot about my self and gained some professionalism, management sucks every year gets worse managaers are cold hearted will write you up for the littlest things like not sending an email, lots of fake people and cliques when it’s supposed to be the opposite just bunch of whites and college people wanting to do something during their time off, hardest part of the job it keeping up with the pace and not getting credited or recognized for the work you do focus on the wrong things you do city year is all about image, I love city year but from the outside never will I go inside of city year again but I’d recommend it to other people, I used to go home and just cry I have no friends because no one ever has time when your doing city year
Pros
Networking, relationships, image
Cons
Cut-throat, poor management, no considerations, forced to do things, long hours, no time for anything
Not for everyone
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2018
You get the opportunity to serve the community which is a good thing. City year isn't for everyone though and I don't think it was for me. I grew a lot as a leader and I loved my school and the staff but there were things that I really disliked. I had many issues on my team that was handled poorly by management like bullying and clique like behavior. The Education award that they give you, you aren't really able to use all of it because you will have to file it as income on your taxes and it may make you have to pay more on your taxes and that's something you don't find out until you're already in. You are treated more like a brand than an individual. There are several scripts you have to memorize if people ask you what city year is and you must strictly adhere to it. If you are on the train coming home after a long day you are expected to always make yourself available to people who want to ask about city year. If you have earphones on, you must remove them to answer a person's question about city year even if you don't want to. You work 50 hours a week to make less than minimum wage and although city year does give you food stamps, the cost of living is still much too high to pay so low. One thing I did like was the amount of job readiness things they did like resume building and mock interviews. Overall, I just feel like city year isn't really for everyone unless you are strongly motivated to help your community and will let nothing stand in your way of that.
Pros
Great culture, leadership growth, helping the community, beautiful relationships built with students and staff
Cons
Cons outweigh the Pros but this was only my experience and there are others that weren't bad
A lot of work but builds character
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
It is a service year so you expect to do work. It can be stressful because it takes a lot of time and multitasking, but you learn a lot in the process.
Looks good from the outside..
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  JacksonvilleSeptember 17, 2018
Working with students is amazing, but everything else was fake. There is a major problem in the organization and management of the company, I have never been in such a toxic environment. Gossip, Discrimination, Hours of just sitting with nothing to do, PC culture to the extreme to cover up the mass amount of race issues in the organization. You are not paid enough for the environment you are being put into.
Pros
Your students you impact
Cons
Awful management, awful organization, low pay, long hours
Learning experience
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2018
Overall, City Year is a learning experience and you have to be flexible with the program because things at the schools we serve are constantly changing. Things might not go according to plan so you have to take time to always have other plans because your teams needs you to have it. It’s all about team work and working with numerous individuals that you just met just work on a common goal. Self care is extremely important because you have to consider the fact that you work long days.
Great local team!
Diversity Recruitment Director (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 22, 2018
I helped to start an expansion site and loved every minute of it! It challenged and developed my leadership and it gave me the autonomy to develop systems that were bot effective and efficient. Unfortunately, when if came to regional and national management/leadership, there were some poor choices made that tarnished my experience and caused me to have to leave.

I believe that they are on the rebound now!
Pros
GREAT Cultural Pieces!!! Believe in people!
Cons
Significant changes in upper mid level leadership/ overpromoting people beyond their ability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Year. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight