City Year Employee Reviews

Not for everyone
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2018
You get the opportunity to serve the community which is a good thing. City year isn't for everyone though and I don't think it was for me. I grew a lot as a leader and I loved my school and the staff but there were things that I really disliked. I had many issues on my team that was handled poorly by management like bullying and clique like behavior. The Education award that they give you, you aren't really able to use all of it because you will have to file it as income on your taxes and it may make you have to pay more on your taxes and that's something you don't find out until you're already in. You are treated more like a brand than an individual. There are several scripts you have to memorize if people ask you what city year is and you must strictly adhere to it. If you are on the train coming home after a long day you are expected to always make yourself available to people who want to ask about city year. If you have earphones on, you must remove them to answer a person's question about city year even if you don't want to. You work 50 hours a week to make less than minimum wage and although city year does give you food stamps, the cost of living is still much too high to pay so low. One thing I did like was the amount of job readiness things they did like resume building and mock interviews. Overall, I just feel like city year isn't really for everyone unless you are strongly motivated to help your community and will let nothing stand in your way of that.
Pros
Great culture, leadership growth, helping the community, beautiful relationships built with students and staff
Cons
Cons outweigh the Pros but this was only my experience and there are others that weren't bad
A lot of work but builds character
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
It is a service year so you expect to do work. It can be stressful because it takes a lot of time and multitasking, but you learn a lot in the process.
Looks good from the outside..
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  JacksonvilleSeptember 17, 2018
Working with students is amazing, but everything else was fake. There is a major problem in the organization and management of the company, I have never been in such a toxic environment. Gossip, Discrimination, Hours of just sitting with nothing to do, PC culture to the extreme to cover up the mass amount of race issues in the organization. You are not paid enough for the environment you are being put into.
Pros
Your students you impact
Cons
Awful management, awful organization, low pay, long hours
Learning experience
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2018
Overall, City Year is a learning experience and you have to be flexible with the program because things at the schools we serve are constantly changing. Things might not go according to plan so you have to take time to always have other plans because your teams needs you to have it. It’s all about team work and working with numerous individuals that you just met just work on a common goal. Self care is extremely important because you have to consider the fact that you work long days.
Creative work space in classroom setting. Varies from school to school.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2018
One of the most challenging years of my job experiences, but definitely one of the most rewarding ones as well. I've learned the difficulties of the life of a child in the inner city and had the opportunity to receive and give compassion to struggling scholars.
Pros
Provides plenty of hands on experience with children within the classroom, work environment pushes you to be adaptable, my partner teacher was phenomenal.
Cons
Hours were extreme, pay was just enough for me to get by and benefits were few.
Collaborative team
AmeriCorps Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
Quick pace environment in a school setting from elementary to high school . Recieve training for job duties and working with students behavior, academics and soft skills.
Great local team!
Diversity Recruitment Director (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 22, 2018
I helped to start an expansion site and loved every minute of it! It challenged and developed my leadership and it gave me the autonomy to develop systems that were bot effective and efficient. Unfortunately, when if came to regional and national management/leadership, there were some poor choices made that tarnished my experience and caused me to have to leave.

I believe that they are on the rebound now!
Pros
GREAT Cultural Pieces!!! Believe in people!
Cons
Significant changes in upper mid level leadership/ overpromoting people beyond their ability
Enforced productivity, but overall postive and collaborative work enviornment
Americorp Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2018
The City Year experience is a tough, but overall compensative work experience. At times there are moments you want to give up, but the rewards outweigh the challenges. The sight of students succeeding and feeling happy about your effort and time is something completely awe inspiring.
Tiring but rewarding because of the students
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2018
City Year is different at every site, and every school. I worked at an elementary school. It was very demanding, and management doesn't always know how to help. I would recommend this program to anyone who has money saved up already(for health/car troubles) and wants to work in education. This program is impressive for those wanting a masters degree in education. Other than that, I would not recommend.
Pros
Amazing students, connections to other fields
Cons
Low pay, long hours, bad management
Non profit organization
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2018
Awesome experience. They gave money for us to go toward college. The life experiences we shared was all well worth it. The many different people you meet and friendships you will make is all worth the long hours kept.
Pros
Awesome experience
Good launching board
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2018
I had a very positive experience with management, and learned a ton through the classroom environment and working with the youth. People seem to either love or hate the culture. It is a strong culture
Exhaustive w/ low pay, but rewarding and life changing
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2018
My whole week is filled with tasks to complete; its a fast-paced environment where new procedures are added almost weekly. My typical day lasted ten hours from 7 to 5. Every other morning, we danced and cheered in front the school to motivate the kids. You spend about 80-90% of your time interacting with students inside/out classrooms. You're responsible, alongside your team members, for running the after-school program.

The hardest part about the job is time management and burning out. You've gotta find ways to motivate yourself & your students, while at the same time balancing all your other duties and remaining positive.

The most enjoyable part though, and what I think makes this position worth it, is the visible impact you have on the students, the school and the community. You're tasked to be a tutor, mentor and role-model for young students. It's a daunting task, but surmountable with the support you get from your teammates, your supervisor and the entirety of City Year.
Pros
lasting impact, personal/professional development
Cons
low stipend, long hours, tedious routines
Full time, Volunteer
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 8, 2018
This job is very draining, emotionally, physically and mentally. Long hours, teamwork is a big part of this job. although this job is draining and hard work it is VERY rewarding.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hard hours, low living stipend
Difficult and worth it because of how much one can learn.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 27, 2018
It was fun and helpful growing and learning with 50 other young adults, all interested in similar work, sharing similar values of supporting kids, believing in all students' potential etc. City Year Providence is going through a transition with their managing staff. which makes communication amongst the whole organization difficult. Overall, the experience provides you endless opportunities to push yourself in education support growth and some opportunities in professional growth and networking.
This was a volunteer position
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 20, 2018
This was a really important job at a really important point in my life. I often think back to this experience and how it shaped my later careers path and goals.
Good Mission, bad execution
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2018
City Year is a non-profit educational organization run by Americorps. I was fairly idealistic when I went into this program about how I could affect change in the world.

In my time it felt like upper management didn't have or realize the same goals that we did in the actual classroom. The "Training" we received did not prepare us for some of the situations that we encountered on a day to day basis and many of the situations we found ourselves in we were not able to engage or help as a legal issue and had to be left up to teachers or mental health specialists.

A lot of my time was spent trying to figure out where I fit in to the culture and structure of the program and while the core value of this company was something I believed in, it was difficult to feel any sort of sense of accomplishment.

I am intentionally being vague as I do not want to besmirch the company's reputation but things that I was offered that didn't pan out:

Mentorship that would help me to find my next career after my service with City Year

An excellent organization that would be good to put on my resume as people would recognize the brand and Americorps and be more willing to hire me

Relevant and marketable skills

Opportunities to network with company's that were looking to hire often were things that I was not qualified for

Supportive environment (the environment was toxic where many of my fellow corpsmembers felt tricked, disillusioned, overworked and underpaid while the CEO made a more than comfortable salary. On more than one occasion things got heated to a point where HR should
  more... have stepped in but HR was only my fellow Corpsmembers who were as beleaguered as any of us were)

There were those that moved on and managed to make this "opportunity" work for them but many of them came from money and had opportunity both during their time and after that allowed for comfortable career path flow. For many of us though this was a year of suffering that made it quite challenging on a day to day to survive.
Tutor
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
this job requires major commitment. city year will put you in the lowest performing schools with goals of helping those students become both socially and academically successful.
Stressful, demanding, tense working relationships
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2018
If you are not a people person, then this may not be the experience you want to sign up for. Don't always expect to get along with team members, ergo working on group projects can be quite frustrating if you feel that not everyone on the team is pulling their weight or purposely trying to pull you down. The kids you work with can be loud as well--some of them will refuse your help and go out of their way to stress you out. The hours are long and you will essentially feel like you live at the school-- basically no work/life balance. And if you don't find the support you need then best pack your bags and run as fast as your legs can carry you.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work Conditions
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2018
- I really enjoyed my experience at city year.
- I made some life-long friends
- Work-place culture was very campy
- The management was great
- The hardest part of the job was the long hours
- The most enjoyable part of the job was working with children and making a difference in the lives of youth
Pros
Working with youth
Excellent Experience
Corps Member/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2018
Very good for aspiring teachers. Hands on coaching. Helpful environment. It was a fantastic experience and I'm glad to have served. It was a great time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Year. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight