City Year Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good Mission, bad execution
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2018
City Year is a non-profit educational organization run by Americorps. I was fairly idealistic when I went into this program about how I could affect change in the world.

In my time it felt like upper management didn't have or realize the same goals that we did in the actual classroom. The "Training" we received did not prepare us for some of the situations that we encountered on a day to day basis and many of the situations we found ourselves in we were not able to engage or help as a legal issue and had to be left up to teachers or mental health specialists.

A lot of my time was spent trying to figure out where I fit in to the culture and structure of the program and while the core value of this company was something I believed in, it was difficult to feel any sort of sense of accomplishment.

I am intentionally being vague as I do not want to besmirch the company's reputation but things that I was offered that didn't pan out:

Mentorship that would help me to find my next career after my service with City Year

An excellent organization that would be good to put on my resume as people would recognize the brand and Americorps and be more willing to hire me

Relevant and marketable skills

Opportunities to network with company's that were looking to hire often were things that I was not qualified for

Supportive environment (the environment was toxic where many of my fellow corpsmembers felt tricked, disillusioned, overworked and underpaid while the CEO made a more than comfortable salary. On more than one occasion things got heated to a point where HR should
  more... have stepped in but HR was only my fellow Corpsmembers who were as beleaguered as any of us were)

There were those that moved on and managed to make this "opportunity" work for them but many of them came from money and had opportunity both during their time and after that allowed for comfortable career path flow. For many of us though this was a year of suffering that made it quite challenging on a day to day to survive.
Tutor
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
this job requires major commitment. city year will put you in the lowest performing schools with goals of helping those students become both socially and academically successful.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2018
- I really enjoyed my experience at city year.
- I made some life-long friends
- Work-place culture was very campy
- The management was great
- The hardest part of the job was the long hours
- The most enjoyable part of the job was working with children and making a difference in the lives of youth
Pros
Working with youth
Excellent Experience
Corps Member/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2018
Very good for aspiring teachers. Hands on coaching. Helpful environment. It was a fantastic experience and I'm glad to have served. It was a great time.
fun workplace
AmeriCorps Member/Afterschool Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 14, 2018
It was the great place to get your foot in if thinking about becoming a teacher as you are in a classroom with students. You create a lesson for a small group of students that need help in Math and ELA
Lots of hours and lots of stress
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 11, 2018
City Year is a good experience for exposure to schools and to the world outside of your white bubble, if that's all you've ever lived in. Otherwise, lots of hours, lots of stress.
Exhausting but worth it
City Year AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 11, 2018
You work with students and sometimes they yell at you and treat you like garbage. However, you build relationships with them and you see them grow. The work outside of the direct work with students is very demanding and exhausting. The hours are long, the days are stressful and you always have a lot on your plate, but it is truly a learning experience and the staff are committed to your professional and personal growth.
Difficult but Worthwhile
Literacy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2018
While the entails of the job were many times pressing and unsupported, the opportunity to work with such great students and do such fulfilling work. To be able to work in such a setting, is more worthy than any dollar; which is why many stay without regard for the pay.
Pros
Many skills learned; Teaching, Intervenitonist
Cons
Pay, Administrative woes, Long work hours
A volunteer gig with advancement opportunities.
Americorp Member, Student Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 3, 2018
It depends a lot on who you are placed with and how well you can work with your team. There's a lot of work that feels superfluous. It's difficult to be able to work with the teachers in order to achieve what city year's goals are.

Unfortunately, city year needs to figure out if they want to be a serious academic intervention program and provided the necessary training for such, or if they want to stick to events and school environment projects.
Great hands on experience working directly with students
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2018
My typical day starts at about 6:00 AM and do not finish until 6:00 PM. As a City Year AmeriCorps Member, you are required to reach a 15 hour commitment per student (6 English Language Arts and 5 Math). Required to host 8 sessions focused on socioemotional learning while doing school wide activities. It is long days and pay does not allow employees to live in the nicer areas. It is not accommodating for folks who are out of state.

Want to know more about City Year?

Ask a question
This service isn't just for anyone
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 18, 2018
You work with in the Miami dade county schools. Some days might be harder than others and some might be easy breeze. It is very Team oriented which I love because you get to work with people across the world. You build this second family and work with amazing students. It might get tough sometimes but at the end it all worth it.
Not a sustainable workplace, but alright for short time work.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 15, 2018
High turnover is common. People work off hours, over weekends. They work long hours in some of the most difficult schools in Seattle, and there are little structures built to alleviate the workload.
Pros
Culture, good people
Cons
Lack of organizational structure, documentation is poor, people are overworked.
Productive and Empowering
City Year Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 2, 2018
City Year helped shape me into who I am now. It was a meaningful way to learn about bigger social issues and facilitated creating strong bonds between people.
Whatever you make it as
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2018
This can be the most nerve wrecking job if your straight out of college. The long hours and minimum pay doesn't make it an attractive over which leads to some members quitting.
Challenging but rewarding work
Corps Council Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
It is a year of service. With that comes many challenges that you do not always have the resources to solve, but you must find solutions. It strengthens people and provides a greater appreciation for the education system
Productive and fun workday interacting with students, Staff is super supportive
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 1, 2018
A typical day at work consists of providing whole class support in either a math or english classroom. We have a designated amount of students we work with separately from the entire class. We power greet students in the morning, depending on what grade levels we work with(not on the high school level), we assist with afterschool and morning programs. We plan and sponsor initiatives and events within the school. Extra hour opportunities occur after school hours.
Solid
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 30, 2018
CY is one of the strangest, most unique, and hardest jobs I've ever encountered. Not only will you develop the minds of the students you work with, but you'll develop yourself. You'll be tested to your limits and you'll be able to say that you did it; which if you're like me, means the world.
city year
AMERICORPS MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 28, 2018
everyday is different and unpredictable. you are serving in urban schools and low income communities, which is why i love the organization. my manager is great.
crazy cult
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 27, 2018
it was the biggest test of my life. never drank the kool aid and never intended to. It paid off my student loans and was a means to an end while torturing myself with 60 hour weeks for $4 per/hr
Save Yourself
Member (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 26, 2018
The worst management I could have ever come across. Very underfunded. Hired the worst manager and team leader they could find. Do not recommend this to anyone.