City Year Employee Reviews

Management Issues Impeding Growth
Impact Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 9, 2018
Changes in management have created issues for the organization. Management does not get down on the front lines with you to know how day to day operations go. They judge you based on others' opinions of you. You cannot speak up at meetings or you will be on the outs. People that are promoted into higher management do not have the education or skills to be performing at that level. It is run by young people lacking real world skills. Bad work/life balance. Unless you are young and single and able to be on call 24/7, do not apply.
Benefits
Cons
Bad management, poor work/life balance
Excellence
Americorps Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2018
Workers are encouraged from the start and are assisted to develop their excellence and professionalism in general. There are multiple opportunities for leadership and advancement and team work.
excellant mission
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 4, 2018
Mission is to serve in low income high schools with the students most at risk of dropping out. The City Year corps members are college age young adults.
Pros
strong mission
Cons
sometimes you have to wear the unform.
Awesome
Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2018
City year is a great organization that was be implemented to have student success coaches in the classrooms of children struggling in content areas of Math and English and Language Arts.
Just Not What You'd Expect
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 30, 2018
This is truly a selfless job in every single aspect of it. Don't plan on reaping any type of reward from this job, and do plan on being really exhausted, really stressed, and really poor. You expect the work to be hard, but you don't expect to be so under appreciated. It's a tough position to say the least.
Great but not for me
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
Typical day your writing lesson plans or working with kids or doing nothing, I’ve learned a lot about my self and gained some professionalism, management sucks every year gets worse managaers are cold hearted will write you up for the littlest things like not sending an email, lots of fake people and cliques when it’s supposed to be the opposite just bunch of whites and college people wanting to do something during their time off, hardest part of the job it keeping up with the pace and not getting credited or recognized for the work you do focus on the wrong things you do city year is all about image, I love city year but from the outside never will I go inside of city year again but I’d recommend it to other people, I used to go home and just cry I have no friends because no one ever has time when your doing city year
Pros
Networking, relationships, image
Cons
Cut-throat, poor management, no considerations, forced to do things, long hours, no time for anything
Not for everyone
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2018
You get the opportunity to serve the community which is a good thing. City year isn't for everyone though and I don't think it was for me. I grew a lot as a leader and I loved my school and the staff but there were things that I really disliked. I had many issues on my team that was handled poorly by management like bullying and clique like behavior. The Education award that they give you, you aren't really able to use all of it because you will have to file it as income on your taxes and it may make you have to pay more on your taxes and that's something you don't find out until you're already in. You are treated more like a brand than an individual. There are several scripts you have to memorize if people ask you what city year is and you must strictly adhere to it. If you are on the train coming home after a long day you are expected to always make yourself available to people who want to ask about city year. If you have earphones on, you must remove them to answer a person's question about city year even if you don't want to. You work 50 hours a week to make less than minimum wage and although city year does give you food stamps, the cost of living is still much too high to pay so low. One thing I did like was the amount of job readiness things they did like resume building and mock interviews. Overall, I just feel like city year isn't really for everyone unless you are strongly motivated to help your community and will let nothing stand in your way of that.
Pros
Great culture, leadership growth, helping the community, beautiful relationships built with students and staff
Cons
Cons outweigh the Pros but this was only my experience and there are others that weren't bad
A lot of work but builds character
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
It is a service year so you expect to do work. It can be stressful because it takes a lot of time and multitasking, but you learn a lot in the process.
Looks good from the outside..
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  JacksonvilleSeptember 17, 2018
Working with students is amazing, but everything else was fake. There is a major problem in the organization and management of the company, I have never been in such a toxic environment. Gossip, Discrimination, Hours of just sitting with nothing to do, PC culture to the extreme to cover up the mass amount of race issues in the organization. You are not paid enough for the environment you are being put into.
Pros
Your students you impact
Cons
Awful management, awful organization, low pay, long hours
Learning experience
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2018
Overall, City Year is a learning experience and you have to be flexible with the program because things at the schools we serve are constantly changing. Things might not go according to plan so you have to take time to always have other plans because your teams needs you to have it. It’s all about team work and working with numerous individuals that you just met just work on a common goal. Self care is extremely important because you have to consider the fact that you work long days.
Creative work space in classroom setting. Varies from school to school.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2018
One of the most challenging years of my job experiences, but definitely one of the most rewarding ones as well. I've learned the difficulties of the life of a child in the inner city and had the opportunity to receive and give compassion to struggling scholars.
Pros
Provides plenty of hands on experience with children within the classroom, work environment pushes you to be adaptable, my partner teacher was phenomenal.
Cons
Hours were extreme, pay was just enough for me to get by and benefits were few.
Collaborative team
AmeriCorps Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2018
Quick pace environment in a school setting from elementary to high school . Recieve training for job duties and working with students behavior, academics and soft skills.
Great local team!
Diversity Recruitment Director (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 22, 2018
I helped to start an expansion site and loved every minute of it! It challenged and developed my leadership and it gave me the autonomy to develop systems that were bot effective and efficient. Unfortunately, when if came to regional and national management/leadership, there were some poor choices made that tarnished my experience and caused me to have to leave.

I believe that they are on the rebound now!
Pros
GREAT Cultural Pieces!!! Believe in people!
Cons
Significant changes in upper mid level leadership/ overpromoting people beyond their ability
Enforced productivity, but overall postive and collaborative work enviornment
Americorp Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2018
The City Year experience is a tough, but overall compensative work experience. At times there are moments you want to give up, but the rewards outweigh the challenges. The sight of students succeeding and feeling happy about your effort and time is something completely awe inspiring.
Tiring but rewarding because of the students
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2018
City Year is different at every site, and every school. I worked at an elementary school. It was very demanding, and management doesn't always know how to help. I would recommend this program to anyone who has money saved up already(for health/car troubles) and wants to work in education. This program is impressive for those wanting a masters degree in education. Other than that, I would not recommend.
Pros
Amazing students, connections to other fields
Cons
Low pay, long hours, bad management
Non profit organization
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2018
Awesome experience. They gave money for us to go toward college. The life experiences we shared was all well worth it. The many different people you meet and friendships you will make is all worth the long hours kept.
Pros
Awesome experience
Good launching board
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2018
I had a very positive experience with management, and learned a ton through the classroom environment and working with the youth. People seem to either love or hate the culture. It is a strong culture
Exhaustive w/ low pay, but rewarding and life changing
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2018
My whole week is filled with tasks to complete; its a fast-paced environment where new procedures are added almost weekly. My typical day lasted ten hours from 7 to 5. Every other morning, we danced and cheered in front the school to motivate the kids. You spend about 80-90% of your time interacting with students inside/out classrooms. You're responsible, alongside your team members, for running the after-school program.

The hardest part about the job is time management and burning out. You've gotta find ways to motivate yourself & your students, while at the same time balancing all your other duties and remaining positive.

The most enjoyable part though, and what I think makes this position worth it, is the visible impact you have on the students, the school and the community. You're tasked to be a tutor, mentor and role-model for young students. It's a daunting task, but surmountable with the support you get from your teammates, your supervisor and the entirety of City Year.
Pros
lasting impact, personal/professional development
Cons
low stipend, long hours, tedious routines
Full time, Volunteer
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 8, 2018
This job is very draining, emotionally, physically and mentally. Long hours, teamwork is a big part of this job. although this job is draining and hard work it is VERY rewarding.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hard hours, low living stipend
Difficult and worth it because of how much one can learn.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 27, 2018
It was fun and helpful growing and learning with 50 other young adults, all interested in similar work, sharing similar values of supporting kids, believing in all students' potential etc. City Year Providence is going through a transition with their managing staff. which makes communication amongst the whole organization difficult. Overall, the experience provides you endless opportunities to push yourself in education support growth and some opportunities in professional growth and networking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Year. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss