City Year
69Average

City Year Employee Reviews

United States852 reviews
The position is overall rewarding and it takes a person with dedication and and open mind and a willing heart when working in this position you can make a difference it is difficult but worth it
Pros
Impact that you make
Cons
Pay
When you sign up with City Year you are making a commitment to improving the education system within a non profit organization. You may not have much power in making executive decisions, but you make a difference to the people that matters the most, the students. The students need to see self driven, smart and talented young adults working their hardest to improve the education system. And to all the City Year members regardless of how you look, YOU MATTER and YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!

I like most City Year members, wanted to be a part of something bigger than me. However, the City Year staff had something else in mind. The work City Year members have to do is tough as it is, but the experience can be worthwhile. There is a BIG problem that needs to be addressed in order to improve the City Year experience for everyone.

My only issue with City Year is the management staff located in San Jose. I believe the City Year staff should be like mentors and guide us through the tough tasks we are assigned to complete. In short, the staff was anything but that. If you are good at what you do and are talented, they will do everything they can do to get rid of you. I understand the stress City Year can have on everyone, but there is no excuse for maladaptive behaviors.

The trainers, managers and basically all the City Year staff in San Jose showed little compassion towards me and did everything they could to destroy self esteem. The work culture in the San Jose location makes it seem like the organization is not well developed and in dire need of an intervention.
Pros
Gaining experience, Gaining a sense of purpose, Making a difference
Cons
Maladaptive behaviors by staff, Bullying tactics, long hours for little pay
I learned how to maneuver through the school space efficiently. Learned how to engage with students with different personalities to find a common goal. Document and keep track of student progress. The most important and enjoyable part of the job consisted of the relationship building and academic progression of the students.
This company has many section to help you grow as a educator and to understand how the school system is in Boston. They encourage me to find my own style of teaching and also to maintain my self care routine.
Working at City Year was an ok experience. Work-life balance was very off. They expected so much from the group.My manager barely helped out with things. Overall Jacksonville City Year is an ok organization.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
On days where we have events we usually start at 6 AM and end around 9 PM. In all honesty 13 hour shifts never felt so good before. As a team of four, planning and leading events almost every other week can become draining. We had to learn quickly how to lean on each other while being cognizant of each others workloads. Whenever one of us were a lead on a certain event it was as if they became the boss for that day. Everything would go through them and they were given the trust and respect to make the right decisions. That is probably one of the highlights of the job. Being trusted enough to run an entire event ourselves even when some of us have never had the experience before.
At City Year your professional development is really important, but you are paid a stipend, which barely covers expenses. Your work is hard, your students can be rude, your situation might be tough, but it's so wonderful getting to help your students and see them smile when they understand a topic. I got step by step help to update my resume, and landing a job, and finding a good graduate program. ANd your managers understand that you need extra support. You get options to go to local events for free and have most of your uniform provided for free. It's tough, but I'm glad I worked here.
When working in an educational setting the students are always the best part. However, the reality of this program is not how they market it. Many of the people in my cohort dropped out because it was too much.
Don't really have any just that the kids make this job so worth it and makes it and just really makes the job a fun thing and really just is a big joy
City Year provides a crucial gap year from high school or college into the world. During this time, I was able to identify what I wanted to do while giving back to the community.
pros
-you see your work work, if you do it right

-most people want to do well

-students are bought in

cons

-org/district relationship is trash

-competing goals with school district and org

-pay is garbage

-no union

-white supremacy runs most non profits, this is no different. black women are oft taken advantage of, used up and tossed aside. as per usual white cubans (and those who pretend they are), and other POCs stand by and do nothing or are the perpetrators themselves.

anything more than 3 years is a waste of time
City Year Chicago is a difficult commitment, yet it is one of the most fulfilling. The leadership make a very obvious and effective attempt at being helpful and caring, they really make everything better.
This is a job of service! It was one of the best experiences of my life! City Year helped me learn my passion for working with children. I gained a lot of work experience that put me above the curve !
City is an awesome place to grow and develop all the components needed to be successful in life. If you don’t know what your purpose is in life, try city year. They have helped take the scales off my eyes in more ways than I can name!
Being an AmeriCorps Member with City Year has been the best decision I've made career wise in my working life. I learn something new everyday and I know that the work I do benefits my team, the organization, my students, and myself. City Year has become a second home for me.
kids will forever be worth it. what they dont tell you is all the drama you have to deal with if people leave and you work at a dont give a * school and have a not amazing/decentmanager. but the relationships you do build are honestly worth all the flack
The Job Work and Life Balance was totally unequal. The compensation and benefits were not the best either. The best thing about the job is that if you truly enjoy helping kids and seeing them progress, then that can help you push through the day besides everything else. That can be your drive.
City Year markets itself as a gap year to privileged young people; however, the year of service is really about so much more than taking a break from one's own school journey. Working to help the young people of Boston was really fulfilling and wonderful; however, I found the organization to be immensely pseudo-liberal. The company doesn't practice what it preaches, and it designed to help corps members advance and not to actually prioritize helping the children of Boston. I think my experience was invaluable in the sense that it pulled back the curtain and showed me that I could never work at a non-profit run by people who are not of the community they are seeking to help.
The main complain from Americorp volunteers are the long hours that we work.However, working with the students is truly the most rewarding part of this work.
It's an extremely hard job with the only benefit being you get ahead on the resume. To be honest we do not help the schools, as much as becoming extra bodies for the failing schools to rely on. Most of these schools are failing due to their administration, with that the kids are being let down. Us being underpaid with little to no teaching experience does not help if not worsen this situation. The organization is less of a community outreach program and more of a way for companies to use as a write off as a donation. I would not recommend anyone for this type of career. Management is poorly trained and likes favoritism and scare tactics, HR was of no help as I contacted them multiple times due to my environment becoming hostile due to my coworkers behaviors with no consequences. If you are up for the hardest year of your life, loosing contacts with friends and family and deteriorating mental and physical health due to long work hours with not guarantee of a break or overtime, then this job is for you.
Pros
The students were wonderful, I did meet teachers that wanted to make a difference despite how hard the work was
Cons
Little to no breaks, healthcare awful, no overtime pay, disorganized leadership, expect you to take work home, long work hours ranging from10-15 hour days, no compensation for travel only if it's public
If you are looking for an organization where you can grow within, please stay away! If you are looking for work life balance feel free to apply. I would stay away though!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Year. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.