City and County of Denver

City and County of Denver Employee Reviews

United States286 reviews
The job is hard work and rewarding. There is a lot to learn about all aspects of this jobs. The politics are tiresome, and take away from the fact that the job you do is good for Colorado.
Pros
You work outside in all weather.
Cons
No bathrooms.
The Office of Human Resources (OHR) does not practice what we preach. The Directorial level leadership is a complete joke. Communication is lacking from all areas. No one talks to one another, so we look like we don’t know what we’re talking about to our agencies. Senior level leadership is great, however, it’s clear there are favorite Directors. This makes it difficult trying to accomplish anything for teams who do not have a favorite Director.
There’s also no sense of a team between different service groups in OHR. Everyone only cares about themselves and their own success, that they’ll willingly throw anyone under the bus to get ahead. It’s an awful culture and it shows in the turn-over rate.

I do however, love my departments I have! I love serving them and have built wonderful relationships with their leadership over the years. They keep me coming to work every day.
Pros
Benefits are outstanding
Cons
Pay is very low, culture is awful, favoritism, lack of communication
The supervisor in the job I had at DIA worked multiple jobs and could not give full attention to what I believe was her primary job. The job was so manual should have been brought into the 21st century years ago. She did not like change and did not care to be present as a manager. I ultimately left because she manipulated my time card. She only cared about all the overtime she could get from doing too many jobs and intimidated those who worked for her.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Management didn’t care and was hostile to change and suggestions
I was terminated and treated like a criminal for defending myself against a violent coworker. My supervisor didn’t stand behind me even though I communicated beforehand that there was a problem with the other employee..
Fulfilling and engaging work every day. A role in government is one that any leader would benefit from having. The drive to improve the life of citizens in your community provides a critical lens and hones skills that are portable to/in any other leadership role.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Low pay, management always against you no support. Lots of back stabbing coworkers. The most unappreciated bosses , never promoted, way under paid.
Every day was never the same, especially during snow season. I learned a lot about HVAC equipment maintenance and repair. I learned new skills I never thought I would be exposed to including operating large snow removal equipment. Management was extremely supportive and easy to talk to. Working there was always intersperesed with fun breaks and social meetings that made working there fun. The culture there was good, with great coworkers that really made the days passby quickly. The hardest part of the job honestly was surviving the long winter season. being on call sometimes with minimal notice for 9 months out of the year was draining. But the compensated decently for it and made it not nearly as bad as it could have been. The most enjoyable part honestly was the coworkers. The light hearted honest conversations and trust was great.
High turnover job, very difficult work and little reward, lots of satisfaction working with families, meet new interesting people from very diverse backgrounds which keeps it fun, procedures always change, very political
The city is a great deal of outstanding co workers. Although management was not on top of the most popular agency. The city has a big turn around due to the pay rate for each position.
I loved this job more than any job I have ever had. The people were great to work with, and the IT department, while not on the "bleeding edge," was pretty sophisticated. I did have to learn a lot on my own, but was given latitude to do that, and also allowed to branch out to new responsibilities. Some of the projects required extensive extra hours (which exempt staff are not paid for), but it was manageable.
The IT department lost their CIO while i was contracting there. It really changed things, and not for the better. Some really good talented people. 150
I was working as temp for someone until they returned back from the service. It was a great learning experience, but when it came down to the pay it was low and when another full time position came open it was not offered to the temp people who wanted and where looking for a full time job.
Pros
Great view of Golden downtown, nice area to walk and talk lunch outside. Great team
Cons
Pay was low.
Its hard to find a job with good benefits, good pay, and weekends off. This is one of those jobs. Most of the enployees are respectful and hard working.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, hours.
Cons
We are fast paced with high expectations for performance. If you want the typical government job this is not the place for you. If you want to be part of making changes to the culture and improving services to Denver citizens this will be the most rewarding job you will have. We aren't perfect but we are working on improving.
Culture is inclusive. Speaking up is not so much rewarded but creates a target.

You have to create your own path. Networking is encouraged within the agency.
Great work life balance. Flexibility is great, especially with kids. There is a lot of opportunity for growth. Management is very helpful and wants their team to grow. Workplace culture is great, plenty of office activities!
Hardest part of the job is all the processes and procedures you must go through at times to get one thing done.
The pay is way low for the laborers and the job they are asked to perform. And the people who have a higher pay think they dknt have to help the crew.
They needed someone to learn and grow at the airport. I was willing to learn and grow. I found how to find work in a busy atmosphere. it was important to my to keep the airport safe. People do matter to me.
Caseworkers are constantly cycling through because they can’t keep anyone- not because the job is tough, but because management, training, supervisors and culture is unbearable, inconsistent and downright awful. Each supervisor works different and plays favoritism. There wasn’t one week that someone didn’t quit on the spot or turned in notice. There’s this idea that the “tough” caseworkers stick it out but people with compassion, ethics, and sanity leave pretty quick.
It was a good company to work for. Good benefits good investment good retirement just a good place for employment opportunities to thrive and grow just a good place to work.
I worked for the City of Denver for 27 years. The culture is diverse and most of the employees are caring and hard working. Everyday, management tries to make things better for employees by conducting yearly employee engagement surveys. They also offer Peak Performance trainings to improve work efficiencies. The work life balance is good for the most part and the offered benefits are great.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of Denver. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight