City and County of Denver Employee Reviews

Terrible Workplace
Eligibility Technician I & II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 18, 2018
Awful place to work. Awful pay with terrible management. Would not recommend to my worst enemy to work here. There is no opportunity for advancement and most people are lazy but no one ever gets fired so i guess that's a plus for someone who doesn't care about there job.
Satisfying and rewarding job, great co-workers, management not supportive, punitive and demeaning to employees
Former employee of Family and Adult Division. (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 9, 2018
It is so fulfilling to provide assistance to needy adults, families and children. It is an amazing fulling experience to know you were a part of so many success stories. The front line staff is amazing, they have such compassion and respect for the clients. Employees support each other and work well together to achieve incredible results.
Regarding the Family and Adult Division do not apply.
The management team for the Family and Adult Division.and a majority of the supervisors were all promoted or hired because they either knew the division director or worked with her in the past. If you don't agree with everything the division direct says or she doesn't like you for what ever reason she will make the job so difficult you are forced to quit. It is a punitive environment, expectations change all the time but are not communicated. Staff are reprimanded unnecessarily regularly.

Denver Hunman Services does have other Divisions that are amazing to work for like CORE and Child Support where management is supportive to staff and recognizes them for the hard work they put in everyday..
Pros
Fulfilling and rewarding job
Cons
Division director of Family and Adult Division.is tyrannical, abusive and the definition of a bully.
Steady hourly maintenance position on city equipment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 7, 2018
Diagnosis, service and repair of city trash trucks, street sweepers, mowers, etc. Worked as a lube tech, tire and brake repair, performed routine maintenance and operator defect repairs, periodic services based on hours and mileage.
Pros
Company benifits, no cost health care, shift work
Cons
Very dirty working conditions, noisy, dirty, long hours, limited advancement
Extremely behind the times, but no stress or pressure
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 30, 2018
CCD provides excellent job security and somewhat competitive salaries. It's not a good place to work if you are a go-getter, which is why I left. It's extremely behind the times on technology and efficiency, and remains very male-dominated. It's perfect if you're looking for a low-stress environment.
Pros
Low stress, great job security.
Cons
Bad management, male-dominated, bad technology
Some of the coworkers are great people
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80204September 29, 2018
I have worked for the City and County of Denver for 17+ years and in my time, I have had some interesting situations. The hardest part of the job is to navigate the political climate and deal with people that want to hurt you simply because of the uniform that you wear.
Pros
Free CCW license, massive amounts of overtime
Cons
No breaks, massive amounts of overtime
Working for PHI is a real mess
Environmental Public Health Investigator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2018
This review is about DDPHE, specifically Public Health Inspections, rather than the City and County of Denver as a whole. PHI is a colossal disaster. Poor management, favoritism, nepotism - you name it and it happens in PHI. The turnover rate is astronomical both in residential and food safety. Employees are micromanaged over everything, including tracking how every day is spent down to the minute. The culture is toxic and negative. The workload is ridiculous even for the hardest worker. Little to no advancement opportunities available, especially if you aren’t one of management’s selected favorites. To be frank, I’ve been working for a long time. I’ve had some not so great jobs that I take in stride, but I’ve never seen anything close to what goes on in PHI. It’s genuinely abysmal. Management pretends to act so bewildered when people constantly quit, as if they can’t even wrap their heads around why people leave. They ask employees to express their concerns, yet time after time nothing changes. Then they turn around and target the employees who were brave enough to even speak up. It’s clear that they don’t really care and have no desire to take the real actions required to make PHI a worthwhile place to build a career. It’s a shame because they do important work that is of great value to the public. The City itself might be a great place to work, but I’d caution against joining PHI unless it’s to get some experience and then get out quick. Leaving this job was the best thing I ever did for myself.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Terrible management, micromanaging, excessive workload, toxic culture
Loved it!
Program Coordinator-Administrative Hearing Office (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 7, 2018
I relocated to Texas, missed my job, the pay immediately. I worked with a great department and learned something new every day. Great benefits and discounts to events.
Ehh
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 6, 2018
It has good benefits but do your research on departments. Some departments are better than others and some are sketch! Always ask questions when you don't understand
benefits
Cons
no work life balance, short staffed
Promotional opportunity are usually predetermined.
Senior Accountant/Senior Agency Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 13, 2018
Needs more diversity in the Budget Management departments as that department is often used to feed upper management opportunities within the city and has an advantage over other departments.
Decent annual raises, but high-deductible health plan
Executive Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2018
Most everyone gets an annual raise, but they now have a High-Deductible health plan which takes away from over-all benefits. I enjoyed working there, but experience varies by Agency.
No fun
Deputy Sheriff-Captain (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2018
Mismanagement of the department and mayor's office. Inmates have more rights than the staff. They should be investigated by the Department of Justice.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Stress
Denver - Office of Economic Development (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2018
The City of Denver is a great place to work. I left this position only because I left the state of Colorado. Hard work can be rewarded through recognition and promotion, which is the way it should be.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Extremely poor upper management
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2018
Supervisors and coworkers were generally great people to work for. Upper management took a me first attitude and did not care about the well being of employees unless it benefited management. Rather than helping employees grow, their approach was to create a negative atmosphere and always put down employees.
Pros
supervisor was great
Cons
management didnt care
It's the govt, what can I say?
Business Development Associate II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2018
The best part about being employed with this agency is working with the public to help them access benefits and services they may be eligible to receive.
Pros
work with the community to improve lives
Cons
limited career advancement opportunities
Culture needs some work
Denver (Former Employee) –  COMay 29, 2018
They're trying, just a bit slow. Usually the solution provided by management is a survey which results in only a follow up survey and no substantial changes.
Enjoyable place to work, but is not terribly diverse
Recreation Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 23, 2018
I enjoy working for this organization, but it doesn't offer a lot of diversity. You're doing a lot of the same things over and over again. You have to apply to higher positions in order to learn anything about them. It is a stagnant position for the most part.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Boring
Non-disclosure
(ADA) City Inspector (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 7, 2018
I have a no compete clause and non disclosure in place with the City and County of Denver, therefore I will not be posting any comments regarding the City and County od Denver Employment services.
good place to work
Golf Course Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 13, 2018
maint. vehicles, load trucks with proper equipmrnt and tools to complete job, drive out to various locations to complete tasks, clean and maint. equipment when complete.
Teamwork
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2018
I loved my team, and learning new things. I came in with no experience and they gave me a chance, and I was able to learn many new things which made me love landscaping and want me to further in this career.
Great community engagement
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 25, 2018
The community and coworkers are great. They city needs to reevaluate and pay accordingly to cost of living. Programs are still growing but seem to still be behind the times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of Denver. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight