City and County of Honolulu Employee Reviews

Good but limited job growth opportunities
Legislative Aide District VII (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 1, 2019
At the City and County of Honolulu, I worked within the legislative branch. The legislative branch is a small division within government, relating to legislation branch. The work came in spurts and was busy and slow at times. The period when the job was busy it could be overwhelming at times, especially is work wasn't distributed among staff. However, the co-workers were always to talk to and friendly. The growth for my position was very limited and hardly built to be a career job.
Pros
Vacations
Cons
Distribution of work
Productive work place
Labor Supervisor-supervised work crew (Former Employee) –  Wahiawā, HIFebruary 4, 2019
I learned a lot while working for the city & county. I learned to operate different eqiupments and skills, got my CDL license. My crew was awesome. The benefits were great for my family & I. I loved working and being out at different jobsites, meeting new people.
City and County of Honolulu
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 13, 2019
The position I held was slow paced, but all of my co-workers were great to be around. The C&C does not have very good benefits where healthcare is concerned, but their Retirement plan is wonderful
Pros
Set work hours
Cons
Cost of healthcare
Management sucked
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Waipahu, HIJanuary 5, 2019
Where I worked the management sucked big time! He favored other men over women and definitely seemed racist. He’d bet on employees with other employees. Definitely a good job with the wrong kind of management.
Pros
Good team good pay.
Cons
Management sucked. Favoritism. Needed to retire earlier.
Poor management, salaries no where near comensurate with the cost of living.
Water Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 13, 2018
While I did enjoy working with the majority of people there. The upper managment had no concern for the employees, and their quality of life. Management actively worked to keep salaries low in the most expensive state in the nation. I had to work 2 jobs just to make ends meet.
Pros
Good people to work with mostly.
Cons
Terrible compensation.
fun work place
Park Attendant Service (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 28, 2018
Hanauma Bay Visitor Center Information Desk, Receptionist
Explain visitors the orientation procedures in English & Japanese
Data input & maintenance in the Repeat Visitors List Database in Windows OS Help visitors in English & Japanese for any incidents or accidents to assist park attendants, Lifeguards, Policemen, EMS workers, etc.
Productive Workplace
Public Facility Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 17, 2018
Learned a lot while employed with the City and County of Honolulu.
My crew always enjoyed coming to work, never complained to me about work loads. Enjoyed my time
Pros
Time off with pay
Cons
Poor managment
Working with children’s and giving back to the community
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 27, 2018
Working with children’s
Sports and games
Learn new things everyday from the children’s
Great work place
Giving back to the community
Making the community come together
Productive and Fun Place
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Downtown HonoluluSeptember 6, 2018
It is a very flexible job, always about teamwork and cooperation with another Personnel...
Get plenty opportunities to move up to another department or promote to a better jobs.
Pros
Great Benefits
Emphasis on Work Relationships
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 3, 2018
Working with the City and County of Honolulu you learn quickly how much they emphasize work relationships. Everyone becomes close to make the daily grind that much easier for you. Each member in office is proud of their culture, the beauty of Honolulu shines through each personality.

Least favorable thing about the work is how slow it can become, but when paperwork is your job it should be on you to make the work exciting and keep the office space alive and vibrant.
Not all City jobs are Civil Service Jobs
Manager (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 21, 2018
Don't assume that because someone works for the City that they have easy hours and light workloads. Mayoral appointees have little-to-no work-life balance, the culture is totally reactionary with very short, long-term planning. I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone who has a family, or wants time to pursue hobbies or life outside of work.
Benefits
Cons
Office environment is disgusting, roaches, hoarders, pre-WWII furniture, inefficient.
Working for the City and County CSM
orderly product displays (Former Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIJuly 27, 2018
Issuing out tools and supplies to the crew, I learned how to purchase parts, supplies with Pcard. Management was so wonderful and helpful. There was no hard part of this job. I really enjoyed working with different coworkers
Park watcher
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIJuly 17, 2018
I go to the park i open the gates the office and rooms in the evening time i than clean the rooms ready for the people that have permits to use the rooms. i sit in the office answers questions stay for 4 hours. After the hours and once everyone leaves i lock up the rooms office and gates end of my work night. The office have a AC so i don't have to be hot on summer evenings. Its a pretty much a relaxing position you can read books, study, or go on phone but always make sure to be aware on whats going on outside of the office. The hard part for me was answering questions like asking " how can i have a permit to use the rooms?" or " dose it cost money to renew my permit here?" i wish there was a book that can help me to help the answer questions to the people.I enjoy meeting with people and getting my personal stuff done in the office.
Pros
Relaxing
Cons
Lost with peoples questions sometimes
Job Security
Abstracting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 14, 2018
You will never advance in the city and county unless you know someone in management. Its hard to advance no matter how many years you put in working for the city and county. The only pro is 21 sick and 21 vacation days; in addition to 14 holidays off.
Great place to do an internship for school or experience.
Internship (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 24, 2018
A typical day at work varies depending on what ongoing projects or events may be coming up. The staff is friendly but working can be stressful due to the nature of the job.
Corruption part of the job
Planner III (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 22, 2018
You may witness things that you donʻt agree with and if youʻre lucky, you wonʻt be a part of it. Make no mistake, ethics is not important as reputation and sealing the "deal".

This job does not allow for long enough breaks for as long as you are required to sit in your cubicle. If you are lucky, you will have a boss that buys you an adjustable desk so you can stand up part of the time instead of sitting on your **s.

Lots of office treats and parties make one fat and immobile which is systemic. Consequently, the county is sluggish and immobilized by bureaucracy. Thereʻs no hope under the Caldwell Administration.

If youʻre a parent, you can use your lunches back to back with your vacation time to go take your kids to drʻs appointments. But this means that you wonʻt have time off for yourself.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Productive and fun environment to work at
Summer Aide (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 22, 2018
i enjoyed the time I spent with the City and County of Honolulu. It was a learning experience for me, giving me many different skills and knowledge that will help me throughout life.
Pros
excellent co-workers
HGEA and UPW are detriments
Accountant VI (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 3, 2018
The presence of Unions and 13 different Collective Bargaining Agreements result in the inability of management to reward good staff and to discipline non performing staff. Nonetheless, the majority of employees work hard and get their jobs done. They welcome input from management, notwithstanding interference from Union officials. Very few workers feel their union dues are justified by union performance.

The computer system for Accounting and HR is one of the worst I have ever experienced.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Lack of upward mobility
Great co-workers.
Real Property Management Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 6, 2018
I was responsible for highly confidential financial data and cash flow analysis, spreadsheet development, contract compliance and site inspections. The work was nothing new to me.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Small open work station, no privacy.
Best job I ever had
Tier 2 Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 28, 2018
This is the best place I have ever worked for. The work culture revolves around solutions, and not creating more problems. it is a realistic business culture where teamwork is a must. Everyone's best skills are taken into consideration. Cross training is offered as well.
Pros
Ability to switch departments with training
Cons
Government job, hard to find a parking spot