City and County of San Francisco Employee Reviews

Temp Employee
Payroll Clerk/Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 4, 2018
As a temp employee, it was difficult to come to work on a daily basis because you don't know whether or not it would be your last day. Your appointment summary states when your assignment would end but in my experience having to do this twice, it wasn't so. They only give you 2-3 days to let you go and then they hire a new temp. Even though I've passed the exam for the position I was filling, I was not chosen even though I've been with them for a year and have stated my interest in the field. I'm still optimistic with wanting to work in the department because of the people whom I was surrounding by. They guided with open arms and did what ever possible to keep on staff.
You give dignity to those in need.
Sr Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2018
On a typical day, I see 4 clients, assessing their needs. Often times, they don't have child care, and they bring their child/children during the assessment and I have to be flexible to accommodate their needs as well as their children.

Majority of the families that I see are families living in poverty, homeless, or doubling up (families living in the same household). I see clients of different cultures. Often, I am required to use an interpreted to assist me during my assessment which may take several hours.

The hardest part of the job can be a simple referral and it turns into multiple needs: medical, housing, mental health, and homeless with children. What I learned is having the skills to do a thorough assessment, be flexible and have a good time management. Often times, client will dropped in without an appointment, and putting out putting out fire. In the mean time searching for resources that matches the client's needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is when you have a good relationship with other workers, it works as a joint venture with client and worker. In addition, you see the client become self sufficient, and see them flourish.
Pros
Using Client centered approach educate clients make their own dicisions.
Cons
You take a break when you can.
A unique work environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2018
The typical day as a lifeguard ranges from being relatively easygoing to having locker break-ins and conflict resolution. It definitely varies with the different pools. It's a stress-free job with career advancement opportunities within the department.
Pros
easygoing as long as you are paying attention, time to swim during your breaks.
Cons
can get comfortable and slow
dream came true
Junior Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 22, 2018
I always love to work at City and County of San Francisco. I wish I could get a full time job and forever to work there. There is a lot of room to grow if given a chance.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant Duties
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 21, 2018
o Provided general administrative and clerical support.
o Greeted persons entering office and escorted guests.
o Maintained a safe, clean and secure working environment
o Administered all incoming phone calls and redirecting calls as appropriate
produictive
SFMTA Secretary Division (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 21, 2018
you are always learning new things about what going on in the city .the staff at the division are so welcoming and always help full .they are the best
I enjoyed my position but was not paid enough.
Public Service Aide Temporary Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2018
I actually want to return to The City one day when the clerk position I was working in becomes a permanent position with open availability. I enjoyed my co-workers, manager, and did not feel stifled by my every day tasks.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Low pay
Never a dull moment at work
Environmental Health Inspector (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2018
There is no alternative work schedule and all REHS inspectors are required to work 3 weekends per year to inspect temporary food events. Supervisors are very supportive of their staff. The department encourages and nurtures team work.
Pros
supportive supervisors
Cons
no AWS
Government
Deputy Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2018
The City & County of San Francisco provided great benefits and a competitive salary structure. THe work-load was not always evenly shared. A great place to make a career, but take care of yourself too.
Pros
Benefits, retirement packages
Cons
Working with convicted people gets tough
Great bosses make the difference
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2018
Working for the City was frustrating and rewarding at the same time. Your manager makes all the difference in the world. Benefits are great and co-workers can be great too.
bad place
Network Operations Center (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 9, 2018
Bad place to work. bad working environment. Micro mamaged by managers. NOC management was bad. noc ceo was a jerk . Will never work there again. Pay was terriable.
Good compensation/Benefits
Management Assistant/Accounts Payable Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 6, 2018
work hours can be flexible especially when you have children
typical work hours is 8:00am to 5:00pm with hour lunch
Management depends on the the management style. some managers are nice to work with
Cons
longer hours
ok
Public Policy Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 1, 2018
This job was okay. It was unpaid but people were nice enough. The hardest part of this job was working with politicians. A typical day would be coming in and answering phones.
Fun workplace
Accountant-Workers compensation (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 29, 2018
expected to plan time accordingly to meet deadlines
Diversity welcomed
work/life balance encouraged
open to telecommuting
leadership staff is kind to everyone
trainings/seminars available to expense knowledge bass
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
must pass a test for permanent employment
Productive workplace
Claims Investigator, Office of the City Attorney (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 29, 2018
Found work Investigating claims of personal injury and property damage; resolving claims by recommendation of settlement or denial; and compiling evidence and provided reports of investigations fun and fufilling
ASSISTANT GARDENER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Park and Rec. Learned a lot about horticulture, and plant identification. It was great working out doors. The hardest part about this job was working in the rain. The most enjoyable part about this job was working and dealing with the people in public.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
N/a
Good place to work but getting a permant position is difficult
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2018
Good place to work but getting a permant position is difficult. That's about all I have to say about the place but this site is forcing me to write more
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Difficult to become full time
Great!!!
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 18, 2018
Both the salary and benefit package provided to me was great and more than what I initially expected.

Both my supervisor and co-workers were great and every made me feel like close family.

Great working environment.
Pros
Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Paid-time-off
No Complaints
Senior clerical typist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 6, 2018
I have no complaints working for the SFUSD. A substitute secretary goes to any school in the SFUSD when a secretary is on vacation, medical leave, maternity leave, injured, fired, etc...
Great Department
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2018
I love working for San Francisco Fire Department. There are a lot of extremely knowledgeably people that are willing to share and teach. Most people are very down-to-earth and easy to get along with.
Pros
The people, residents, schedule, environment, etc.
Cons
Doesn't pay enough to live in SF.