City and County of San Francisco Employee Reviews

About myself
Investigations Division Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2019
Anticipating on getting back in the work force. I'm a team player ,eager to learn, always willing to learn something new. Can't wait to get to work..
Pros
good people
Cons
good and bad days
About park and rec.
FACILITY MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 10, 2019
I loved working for park and recreation but the supervisors did not have totall control. The way the supervisors trained the employees was not proper. There was no say to sign in or out, So we would text our supervisor when we got to work LOL, how ghetto. But the just needed to be more organized and not so messy.
Pros
I loved working with the public.
Cons
They pay attention to the wrong ISSUES.
A great place to work
Junior Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2019
It’s a great Diverse work environment. Lots of teamwork and also help to manage amount of online classes as well as today classes.There are two men this opportunities to grow with the city and County of San Francisco
Pros
Great diverse work environment
Cons
Not safe at night
Pretty good job, benefits are good. Taxes are atrocious.
Industrial Hygienist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Overall i like the positions and my co workers. The taxes are insane. Only get to take home 1/3 of actual salary - no one tells you that when you sign the HR contract.
Pros
Flexible hours, good benefits, good time off/sick leave
Cons
Horrible taxes, salary take home is not what is advertised.
Diverse Environment
Behavioral Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 11, 2019
The people really make the job at City and Co of SF, in my experience. Leadership is weak. The bureaucracy is crazy. The hiring process for me was easy, but now, it's very strict and strange. It takes a ridiculous amount of time for someone to be hired and they are kept in the dark during the hiring process. And, the benefits are not as great now as they use to be when I was hired.
Pros
Diversity in culture
Cons
Weak, passive leadership
A difficult place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 20, 2018
My mission was clear and I was successful to a point. As I would complete a task for review, the sponsor would cancel the task. I was to replace a 35 year old system, but the original authors were in the basement and did not want the system replaced. So I develop and replaced the system, but the project management would not let us fully implement it.
Pros
Beautiful city
Cons
Fairly corrupt office
Many challenges
Project Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 3, 2018
Many challenges required my constant attention and a thorough knowledge of the project. Physically tiring on some days. Very challenging, thoroughly enjoyable project.
You can advance at SF Municipal Railway
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 3, 2018
It was fun days but challenging dealing with different personalities and trying to keep your emotion in check. I learned how to drive buses. For the most part management was cool, they were drivers before becoming managers or supervisors. Workplace culture is cliquish almost like jr. high and high school. The most enjoyable part of the job meeting tours.
Pros
Meeting tours, and scheduling on different runs and division quarterly
Cons
Drivers suck in high school mentality...cliques. And, most of the male drivers hitting on the females though they are married
Good Place To Work
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 1, 2018
Working for the City & County of San Francisco is a great experience. The medical/dental/voluntary benefits are unmatched. The Retirement benefits are extremely well designed as well
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Slow process for promotions
Good Place to Work
Acting Custodial Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 24, 2018
A typical work is busy, but you feel like got something done. You have up and down dealing with management things get resolved. The work culture was fun and hardest part of the is sometime dealing old buildings.
Pros
Great Retirement
Cons
High price of real estate
Temp Employee
Payroll Clerk/Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 4, 2018
As a temp employee, it was difficult to come to work on a daily basis because you don't know whether or not it would be your last day. Your appointment summary states when your assignment would end but in my experience having to do this twice, it wasn't so. They only give you 2-3 days to let you go and then they hire a new temp. Even though I've passed the exam for the position I was filling, I was not chosen even though I've been with them for a year and have stated my interest in the field. I'm still optimistic with wanting to work in the department because of the people whom I was surrounding by. They guided with open arms and did what ever possible to keep on staff.
City County
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2018
Worked with various department for San Francisco City and County providing services to people who are in need of help specified assistance in order to progress. I served in positions that acquired me to have specialized skills in order to fulfill the positions.
You give dignity to those in need.
Sr Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2018
On a typical day, I see 4 clients, assessing their needs. Often times, they don't have child care, and they bring their child/children during the assessment and I have to be flexible to accommodate their needs as well as their children.

Majority of the families that I see are families living in poverty, homeless, or doubling up (families living in the same household). I see clients of different cultures. Often, I am required to use an interpreted to assist me during my assessment which may take several hours.

The hardest part of the job can be a simple referral and it turns into multiple needs: medical, housing, mental health, and homeless with children. What I learned is having the skills to do a thorough assessment, be flexible and have a good time management. Often times, client will dropped in without an appointment, and putting out putting out fire. In the mean time searching for resources that matches the client's needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is when you have a good relationship with other workers, it works as a joint venture with client and worker. In addition, you see the client become self sufficient, and see them flourish.
Pros
Using Client centered approach educate clients make their own dicisions.
Cons
You take a break when you can.
A unique work environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2018
The typical day as a lifeguard ranges from being relatively easygoing to having locker break-ins and conflict resolution. It definitely varies with the different pools. It's a stress-free job with career advancement opportunities within the department.
Pros
easygoing as long as you are paying attention, time to swim during your breaks.
Cons
can get comfortable and slow
dream came true
Junior Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 22, 2018
I always love to work at City and County of San Francisco. I wish I could get a full time job and forever to work there. There is a lot of room to grow if given a chance.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant Duties
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 21, 2018
o Provided general administrative and clerical support.
o Greeted persons entering office and escorted guests.
o Maintained a safe, clean and secure working environment
o Administered all incoming phone calls and redirecting calls as appropriate
produictive
SFMTA Secretary Division (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 21, 2018
you are always learning new things about what going on in the city .the staff at the division are so welcoming and always help full .they are the best
I enjoyed my position but was not paid enough.
Public Service Aide Temporary Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2018
I actually want to return to The City one day when the clerk position I was working in becomes a permanent position with open availability. I enjoyed my co-workers, manager, and did not feel stifled by my every day tasks.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Low pay
Never a dull moment at work
Environmental Health Inspector (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2018
There is no alternative work schedule and all REHS inspectors are required to work 3 weekends per year to inspect temporary food events. Supervisors are very supportive of their staff. The department encourages and nurtures team work.
Pros
supportive supervisors
Cons
no AWS
Government
Deputy Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2018
The City & County of San Francisco provided great benefits and a competitive salary structure. THe work-load was not always evenly shared. A great place to make a career, but take care of yourself too.
Pros
Benefits, retirement packages
Cons
Working with convicted people gets tough