City and County of San Francisco
73Above average

City and County of San Francisco Employee Reviews

United States221 reviews
work place
Laguna Honda hospital was a great experience for me learned a lot from the health department and working front desk and also in admin.
But what made me sad was the patients was not being treated right and no one was doing anything about it
Stable, good benefits and possibilities for pension
The city and county of SF is stable, offers good benefits and if you put in time possible pension.

Poor leadership, cronyism, mis-management, poor vision, corruption, un-needed bureaucracy, outdated ideas, systems and unrealistic expectations.

If you can deal with basically being a # it is ok.
M-f no weekend
It's a do as I say and don't ask questions. Don't contact union for any reason or you will be terminated as per employee lead ad of day 1. If you have problems you have to tell the person who it's about and then the front desk will decide if you can talk to a manger.
Union helps keep it an employer of choice
Final work site for me at SFDPH was Laguna Honda Hospital. A great institution with a lot of fine doctors and nurses but unfortunately had corrupt administration from 2010 to 2019 that fostered favoritism and nepotism. I left due to this "glass ceiling". These corrupt administrators and managers indirectly caused a preventable scandal in which members of the same ethnic group abused and ridiculed dependent residents and shared their photos among themselves as a joke. Administrative heads rolled, as well they should have. It can become a great place again under superior leadership.
Pros
Competitive wages and benefits
Cons
Unfair promotional practices
Although as an non-sworn (civilian) employee always had good working relations with swon officers and command staff
City and County of San Francisco is a leading employer in the Bay Area employing thousands of employees in their organization. CCSF has a policy has a unique policy in hiring qualified employees without any bias, its a Equal Opportunity Employer period. Almost Each Department has its own civilian commission to oversee its functionality and making sure each Department is transparent and following guidelines in fairness.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
City of san Francisco
One of the best city jobs I had. Good environment. Job was willing to help you progress further into your career. Staff is always willing to help you accomplish any goal. Pay is fair for the work asked of you.
Bad place to work
Racist culture to work in, not friendly at all. New staff treated like outsiders who aren't wanted very distrustful very hostile angry place to work. More sites are segregated by race Asian dominated most of the races aren't really welcome
No diversity
No DIVERSITY and thats a problem 90% all Filipino. Then the CHP is very very rude and they are the ones that screen you upon entering the building and ALL of the African American women CHP Cadet officers are very UNPROFESSIONAL AND RUDE
The places I worked at was great, and also challenging.
The job could be busy and crazy, but also rewarding at the end of the day. Certain places were great and others were not. All Directors were different.
Pros
Great Benifits.
Cons
Human Resource Director was not their for worker.
Learning how the sausage is made
The culture was scary. This was my first professional job out of graduate school so I thought the culture there was normal. After leaving the City, I realized how bad it was. The job paid very well and the work is rewarding. Not the best place to bring a "can-do" attitude, those who succeed blend in.
Poor Culture
This facility is has a poor culture for bringing new people on board. but the pay is fair although not up to standards with other facilities in the SF Bay area.
Pros
not sure what to say
Cons
the culture exclusivity, lots of nepitism
HHWP - Poor management that tolerates and promotes discrimination
Has the potential to be an amazing place to work, but poor management and managers, authoritarian, fear mongering and their support and tolerance of discrimination and exclusion (opposing what their public views lead everyone to believe) make this a terrible place. Lack of local opportunities promotes the toxic environment.
n/a
I would not go back to this job, it is long hours on the days of election. This is a day that they should have multiple people work, and not make people work long hours
Great!
Honestly a great place to work but it varies department to department. You wont get paid as well as private sector, but it's public sector work so not surprising. Not a lot of flexibility in terms of working from home/alternate work schedules etc.
Zero excitement but excellent benefits
Projects are boring and sometime people are even more boring, but the impact of your work can be seen throughout the city. Management struggles keeping up with work load and ends up passing stress down to the workers. Pay is a bit lower than average, but is topped with outstanding benefits you cannot get anywhere else.
One side only for Management
If you’re not one of the good old boys club and you go against a good old boys club you try to do the right thing you get punish and you get kicked all of the company do you need to be able to be part of the good old boys club
You gain great experience
HSA provided training for Microsoft. I worked at DAAS and helped in the front desk when needed. I worked closely with social workers and registered nurses, by inputting client referral's.
Nda
I enjoy the team I work with and most of the management staff make themselves available when you need them. They encourage you to use the chain of command and someone always gets back to you in a timely manner. The individuals are a pleasure to be around. The job is not always easy however it can be very rewarding. You have to be willing to put the work in and be a team player.
Steer clear of the bad apples
Great job if you get a good supervisor. Bad job if your supervisors is bad. I have had both. Somewhat toxic atmosphere depending on which park you land.
Work life balance is okay. City job can be irritating
The job can be great but also can be irritating. City employees definitely have a different way about them and it takes getting used to. A far stretch from working in the private sector but at least job security is there.
Lots of phlebotomy draws
The hardest part of the job is being short staffed. The easiest part of the job is patient care.I like my manager she is personable and helps with work if we get overwhelmed.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight