City and County of San Francisco logo
City and County of San Francisco

City and County of San Francisco Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Good intentions, outdated system

Working for the City and County of San Francisco is both rewarding and frustrating. It's nice to serve the community and be a part of a good cause, but everything is so disorganized it can be exhausting.

It is a nice place, with a ping pong table, but lots of dust.

Loved working here! I get to do hands on prep for upcoming elections. Far better than just sitting behind a desk for 8 hours. Management is very easy going and relaxed even when the pressures of the job intensify. The only slight problem is the management communication can be lax at times. But, easily fixed by going straight to management and asking directly. Oh yes, there is a dust problem, but it's expected from a warehouse job.

Pros

Open to opinions free from judgements

Cons

Not enough microwaves.

Soul Crushing Bureacracy

Kafkaesque nightmare, but great benefits thanks to unions. There is no rhyme or reason to anything that is done. Great benefits if you just want to keep your head down and coast for a couple of years. Very little upward mobility, so most jobs are dead end.

Pros

union

Cons

management

Was able to use initiative and schedule work, spend budget and basically make a lot of decisions on my own judgment

I enjoyed interacting with the different site staff whose Custodial maintenance I was responsible for. I was able to work independently and got a lot of support from my manager.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Scheduling vacations could be problematic

Dynamic organization with many opportunities

Each department has its own culture. You work with great people who are top notch professionals who are passionate about improving the ways in which the city functions and to improve the services to the city residents.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Former Temporary Account Clerk

Typical day at work was helping property owners get rewarded for the credit they deserved. My experience with my position was a happy one, because I learned how to contribute to The City as a part of this community. Management was excellent. Culture was diverse-friendly. Accommodations were granted for all! The hardest part of the job was that rush requests took time away from the many regular requests. The most enjoyable part of the job was the inspiring environment and excellent transportation access.

Pros

Free potluck to share!

Cons

Very hard to obtain permanent work, is still the situation today as job security has been displaced.

You’re entering a old timers club. Newbies are treated like dirt.

Don’t do it, Don’t recommend it, Never will I ever work there again. If you can bite your tongue for 365 days then you might survive. Management is terrible.

Cons

Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table and other workout equipment

Working at the SF Airport location was a good experience. I was able to help with updating valuable information. I would go back if they hire temps again.

Pros

Hours

Cons

No benefits

Sf recreation & parks

Your not an individual and that's made clear day one. It's evident that an underlying group corruptly influences the department. Your either in or out. If your not in THE click then expect your life to be a nightmare from backstabbing, opportunistic supervisors/managers trying to lead by intimidation and very limited support from Local 261 who shares the same mattress.

Its ok

Supervisor need to learn how to treat people nice pay nice hours had to resign because my mom got sick but overall nice place to work if you mind your own business

Jobs at City and County of San Francisco

See more jobs

work place

Laguna Honda hospital was a great experience for me learned a lot from the health department and working front desk and also in admin. But what made me sad was the patients was not being treated right and no one was doing anything about it

Stable, good benefits and possibilities for pension

The city and county of SF is stable, offers good benefits and if you put in time possible pension. Poor leadership, cronyism, mis-management, poor vision, corruption, un-needed bureaucracy, outdated ideas, systems and unrealistic expectations. If you can deal with basically being a # it is ok.

M-f no weekend

It's a do as I say and don't ask questions. Don't contact union for any reason or you will be terminated as per employee lead ad of day 1. If you have problems you have to tell the person who it's about and then the front desk will decide if you can talk to a manger.

Union helps keep it an employer of choice

Final work site for me at SFDPH was Laguna Honda Hospital. A great institution with a lot of fine doctors and nurses but unfortunately had corrupt administration from 2010 to 2019 that fostered favoritism and nepotism. I left due to this "glass ceiling". These corrupt administrators and managers indirectly caused a preventable scandal in which members of the same ethnic group abused and ridiculed dependent residents and shared their photos among themselves as a joke. Administrative heads rolled, as well they should have. It can become a great place again under superior leadership.

Pros

Competitive wages and benefits

Cons

Unfair promotional practices

Although as an non-sworn (civilian) employee always had good working relations with swon officers and command staff

City and County of San Francisco is a leading employer in the Bay Area employing thousands of employees in their organization. CCSF has a policy has a unique policy in hiring qualified employees without any bias, its a Equal Opportunity Employer period. Almost Each Department has its own civilian commission to oversee its functionality and making sure each Department is transparent and following guidelines in fairness.

City of san Francisco

One of the best city jobs I had. Good environment. Job was willing to help you progress further into your career. Staff is always willing to help you accomplish any goal. Pay is fair for the work asked of you.

Bad place to work

Racist culture to work in, not friendly at all. New staff treated like outsiders who aren't wanted very distrustful very hostile angry place to work. More sites are segregated by race Asian dominated most of the races aren't really welcome

No diversity

No DIVERSITY and thats a problem 90% all Filipino. Then the CHP is very very rude and they are the ones that screen you upon entering the building and ALL of the African American women CHP Cadet officers are very UNPROFESSIONAL AND RUDE

The places I worked at was great, and also challenging.

The job could be busy and crazy, but also rewarding at the end of the day. Certain places were great and others were not. All Directors were different.

Pros

Great Benifits.

Cons

Human Resource Director was not their for worker.

Learning how the sausage is made

The culture was scary. This was my first professional job out of graduate school so I thought the culture there was normal. After leaving the City, I realized how bad it was. The job paid very well and the work is rewarding. Not the best place to bring a "can-do" attitude, those who succeed blend in.

Poor Culture

This facility is has a poor culture for bringing new people on board. but the pay is fair although not up to standards with other facilities in the SF Bay area.

Pros

not sure what to say

Cons

the culture exclusivity, lots of nepitism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss