City and County of San Francisco
Happiness rating is 69 out of 100

City and County of San Francisco Employee Reviews

United States250 reviews

Excellent Pay, Work not Motivating

Great pay and benefits. Too much office politics. All about who you know. People and coworkers make the culture a good place to work. Not so much can be said for management. Lack of leadership. Can be very difficult to land a permanent position but the work itself is not very difficult or challenging.

Not a good place to work for aspiring people

I used to work with systems division. The whole department and its functioning is broken. If you find good experienced people in your team consider yourself lucky. Turnover is high among achievers and those who stay produce little. Management has no skills. FavoritismDrives the department. People fight among themselves and no team management. Inefficient employees duck under few efficient ones. Chance of permanent civil service is almost none until someone favors you. No flexibility, low trust, I can go on and on

City and County of San Francisco insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

To political

Would never work for the city again!!! They make their own rules. Favoritism is big with the city. They also, backstab their own employees. They use you as a scapegoat

Discrimination and Disrespect

They do not respect or honor religious beliefs. They do not care about their employees. You're only a number in their system. Pay and benefits are decent. That's the only thing you have to look forward to.

Amazing and Compassionate Organization

This is a great organization. Excellent pay and lots of support from management. Great mission to help the underserved of San Francisco. Schedule is flexible. Lots of training provided.

Come in do your job and go home. Don’t get caught up with other people and what they are doing.

Pros: Great pay,excellent medical coverage and awesome retirement benefits. Cons: Lots of politics and strong personality’s to deal with. Other workers always sucking up to the bosses and snitching for advancement or brownie points. Trust no one and stay to yourself.

Fun work but very old school working atmosphere

While projects were interesting, the lack of the use of technology (still using paper for most processes, work) made the work more time consuming than it needed to be. In a year, I had 5 different supervisors due to constant changes (promotions, demotions, moves) of management in the department. No avenue for promotion in the engineering position.

This place is great if you get a permanent position

I enjoy working here and at the time of writing this I still work here but as an intern I don’t really make good enough pay especially with inflation rising as quickly as it is and moving up in this job is tedious can take months just for an interview and then even longer to actually get the position

Positive review overall

It can take awhile to get a full time position, and then afterwards to find one’s niche. Working here is a good for long term security and most people are happy here. There’s definitely a drive to help the public that is satisfying. Pay and especially benefits are better than average. Yet this is San Francisco so one might need to commute or find some lucky housing situation in order to make this opportunity workout. Overall a happy place to be!

Pros

Benefits, job durability, positive mission

Cons

A few dud bosses/employees but you can usually shift away from them

Fantastic diverse company to work for.

This company was amazing for the 31 years that I was there. Comradery and adrenaline every day. You get to interact with the community and get top notch training to deal with most situations. The schedule is a 4-10, the only downside is that it is by seniority, so you will be working the night shift for at least a couple to three years. The benefits are amazing.

Pros

your office is outside every day.

Cons

I should have stayed longer...

City is a great place to earn retirement security

The City is a great place to work if you are looking for great benefits. Overall, there is some training and opportunity to move up as long as you work hard and work above and beyond at times.

Pros

Great pension and health care plan

Cons

Office culture may be divisive at times

Great compensation and benefits available but hard to be promoted.

Many large departments that promote based on seniority or who is closest to retirement date. This causes staff to be stuck in positions for 5-10 years or more before advancement opportunities arise.

Good benefits and union

Role had good job security. I had the resources and guidance needed to do my job. I was able to develop competencies and help others. The union helped me in certain times and I never felt undermined by management

Great work life balance, excellent pay and benefits

Supportive environment that emphasizes employee training and development. Great team members. Managers are thoughtful and flexible. Project work load is manageable.

Pros

Great benefits and pension

Best employer with outstanding coworkers and supervisors. Highly recommended

I absolutely love working for the City and county of San Francisco. I have so much pride and a sense of accomplishment just having that local governmental backing. Great benefits, great working environment and just kinda of a fantastic overall career. If you're dedicated to your city, like I am, City employment is definitely the way to go.

Pros

Everything!!! Pay, training, benefits and an understanding of life's impromptu events.

Cons

I don't think I have found one yet.

Productive and fun work place

As like most work environments it’s the co works that have trouble with diversity issues, that are the true problems. I think it’s improving and more opportunities are available.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Short breaks, bias, brown nosers, gossip .

City & county of sf

My department and my supervisor were amazing. I had a great experience but I’ve heard some stories so you never know. I feel like I lucked out. The city treated me well and I would gladly go back!

Pros

Pay, benefits

Cons

Parking

Passive Aggressive

Planners are directed to approve cases and schedule for Commission as quickly as possible. The most successful planners do not conduct a thorough review, but chat with management and draw the *correct* conclusion. This system works best with planners that come straight from school, with no previous experience to compare it to. Beyond that, a planner spends the majority of their time learning and mastering processes that constantly change and have little to nothing to do with planning. Many positions only deal with narrow portions of planning, so what little planning exposure you get in will not be very helpful experience for another standard planning job. What is transferrable is the San Francisco branding.

Pros

If you are in the "in crowd" life is grand

Cons

If you are not in the "in crowd" everything you do is abhorrent and used against you

Always something new happening at work.

Overall, working at the Airport and City and County of San Francisco is very satisfying. My co-workers and supervisors are great individuals. Helping passengers find their way around the Airport and staying safe makes me feel good. Making sure that commercial vehicles stay compliant, follow the rules and regulations is very important and gives me great feeling of gratification.

Pros

Independence, Flexibility

Cons

Long commute, traffic

Good intentions, outdated system

Working for the City and County of San Francisco is both rewarding and frustrating. It's nice to serve the community and be a part of a good cause, but everything is so disorganized it can be exhausting.

It is a nice place, with a ping pong table, but lots of dust.

Loved working here! I get to do hands on prep for upcoming elections. Far better than just sitting behind a desk for 8 hours. Management is very easy going and relaxed even when the pressures of the job intensify. The only slight problem is the management communication can be lax at times. But, easily fixed by going straight to management and asking directly. Oh yes, there is a dust problem, but it's expected from a warehouse job.

Pros

Open to opinions free from judgements

Cons

Not enough microwaves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss