City of Aberdeen Employee Reviews

Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDOctober 17, 2018
Great place to work. Good work culture and management. Excellent benefits, good amount of PTO and fair wages. Great atmosphere with kind and professional people.
Pros
Benefits, Pto
city of aberdeem
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDMay 30, 2018
Not a bad place to work. management can be stressful but the people you work with are good people. pay is the killer part for the city and the reason why most will leave. Id go back if the pay was competitive to other places in this industry
People friendly
City Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, IDMay 23, 2018
It was a good place to work for. I learned a lot met new people more experience. Never had any problems. Love my job just had to go for more money. Was raising 2 kids on my own.
Pros
Small town easy place to work for.
relaxed atmosphere, maybe too relaxed, bosses are distant with employees
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDApril 6, 2018
It depends on what your looking for here, It can be decent for part-timers but difficult for those who wish to work long-term. For some folks it will be worth it but only to those who wish to make a career out of it.
I learned alot about how city goverment worked
Building Official (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MSJanuary 24, 2018
l was administrator of building codes permits and accepted construction drawings and reviewed and Supervised Construction meetings. Enforced land-use codes within a municipality.
Interpret Building codes, handled permit applications.
Coordinate enforcement efforts.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
Political
Decent place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDJanuary 17, 2018
-Good benefits
-Set schedule aside from when on call
-Pay a little lower then it should be
-Decent trucks/equipment
-Typical DPW type work
-Job security
Quick Paced Work
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, WASeptember 17, 2017
A typical day at work mostly included watering flowers, picking up trash in the reserved areas/parks. We were also tasked with weeding flower beds, pressure washing sidewalks, and statues. I learned how to operate most lawn-care equipment (i.e weed eaters, lawnmowers, ETC) The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendliness of my co-workers and employers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Hours are cut in the winter time
Good place to work for
Wastewater Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDMay 8, 2016
You are responsible for performing a variety of duties relation to the operation, maintenance, and repair of the water and wastewater treatment systems. You are required to work in a safe manner, and monitor the performance of equipment such as inspecting motors, bearings, gear boxes, and shafts for overheating, vibration, and proper lubrication. You are also required to take training classes to keep your temporary licenses, and try to pass the exams within 3 years of service. Management is also ok some of the times, and the co-workers are also okay if they want to work but have the times they are not usually available for snow emergencies either.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks and healthcare, and rotating shifts
My Typical Day at work
Administrative Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDOctober 25, 2015
Typical Day at work can be slow to very busy due to the nature of emergency work. I have learned many life experiences in dealing with people of varying backgrounds and cultures. I'm a fair but just manager always willing to get the facts and listen to both sides of the story. I love to learn form my co-workers I value their thoughts ideas and input very much. The hardest part of the job you cannot always please everyone all the time so I always try resolve any given situation the best I can willing to use other resources as well when needed. The most enjoyable day is that we all go home safe knowing that I gave the best performance in all my endeavors.
Pros
the interaction with the public in general.
Cons
sometimes not getting to resolve a situation to everyone's satisfaction
Fun
Maintenance Worker/Score Keeper (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, WAAugust 20, 2015
Loved being a score keeper, not only do I love playing sports but I loved watching them also, so it was a win win when I was able to watch sports and get paid at the same time
Pros
Working with people
Cons
No working there any more
Good job for college students with guaranteed hours
Seasonal Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDAugust 26, 2013
Part-time employees were expected to complete different tasks each day that managers wanted to be completed. Could work on a number of different public works projects throughout the day. The hardest part of the job is being outside for most of the day in all types of weather. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to operate different kinds of equipment.
Pros
Good part-time pay, guaranteed hours during the summer
Cons
Personnel problems
Low stress job with good hours and decent pay for college kid.
Chelsie Bickel, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDJuly 1, 2013
Some days are slower than other but it depends on your department. Low stress jobs with good supervisors. Do what youre told and dont mess up too badly and you wont have a problem with any of the foremans, supervisors, bosses etc. I learned how to deal and work with co workers that I would not get along with outside of work or people who were poor workers. Overall the City of Aberdeen is a great place to work for, especially if youre looking for seasonal or part time work if youre a college or high school student.