City of Alexandria, VA

City of Alexandria, VA Employee Reviews

United States82 reviews
No room for advancement
Hours not guaranteed. City prefers to hire and train new employees instead of promoting current employees. Salary is insulting for the amount of work you do. No benefits or full-time positions offered to employees that have been there for years.
Small department
Small department, you get to know everybody. EMS division was elimimated and single role medic position eliminated, all personnel must be firefighters.
Good community
Would like to work for them again. I was enjoying the building of the city and projexcts throughout the city. Saving the taxpayer money by running projects efficiently
Other Cities could learn from City of Alexandria
City of Alexandria is by far a superior place to work. Pay, benefits/pension, diversity, equity, work-life balance, advancement, positive work environment. Alexandria City runs like a well-oiled machine; with good ethical leadership, efficient initiatives and willingness to try new things for the good of the employees and residents. I've worked in cities with poor leadership and Alexandria sets a gold standard for how well they include and take care of rich residents and poor alike. A great indicator of how a city's doing is how its poor are doing. Alex gets that and takes it seriously. My favorite thing about City of Alex is that they hire talent from across the country with diversity in mind to bring new ideas, perspectives and high competency to their workforce. When you work alongside other talents and leadership that has your back, your standards of a workplace will change forever.
A great place to work
I love my job, and I would recommend the City of Alexandria to everyone.
I learn new skills every day. The management team is awesome. My co-workers are crazy to work with I really enjoy my co-workers.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
My experience was not positive
In my particular department, the work/life balance was not a priority for management and my family needs were seen as inconvenient to the larger goals of the office. The workplace culture was not collaborative or welcoming.
Challenging but rewarding
If you become too emotionally invested the job can very taxing. If you are only here to collect a check it's an easy job. The bonds that you build with the community are where you reap the rewards of the job. I feel the hardest part of the job is wanting to do right by the community you serve but having to stand by the employer even when you don't agree. I will say that the center I have worked at over the years is very family-oriented. The staff and the community are all like one big family.
my opinon
The Chief has a hard road ahead, and it is sad that his upper staff are not on the same page as he is. It is hard to move up in rank and they don't weed out the bad seeds in management.
Welcoming workplace
As an intern, I was generally just working with spreadsheets and organizing their data system. I was able to learn a lot from welcoming coworkers who made the effort to be inclusive.
Most jobs have managment that dont know as much as the employies however they are expert at navigating red tape the truley grate employers know how to
I am an expert in the trashdepartment I have been a leader an have worked with the best in all jobs I have worked for in the last thirty years I have not been satisfied sitting on the sidelines watching others do al the hard work if I see or know a better way of doing things I will share it employers or people in charge
Pros
Time with family coworkers
Cons
City does not compisate you for ideas that save them milions
Creative and environmental friendly
A great place to work for environmental friendly people. The city is on track when it comes to going green. The city yard waste program has taken to a higher level along with expanding the transportation program.
Never Again
This was one of the worst jobs that I have ever held. I do not recommend anyone with any amount of self respect apply to this job. I would never go back.
Work Place
All locations have different work environments. You have to make the best out of it. From the recreation center to the administrative office be sure to focus on what you came to do.
Great place for anyone
Great place to learn and grow in your specific career field. Supportive management and friendly people here at the job and within the community. Great experience.
Pros
Weekends and holidays off
Cons
Staying late for mandatory meetings
Great environment with opportunities to advance in rank
A great environment, with opportunities to advance; a good place to work with a professional atmosphere. There are numerous opportunities for advancing.
Pros
Work hours are flexible
Cons
Breaks could be longer
Not a good place to work
Not a good place to work. Management in the T&ES division needs replaced. They only care about them selves. Plus the pay isn't good at all. They want you to be able to preform all job duties and tasks without having the proper man power or tools. Another thing is if you want any overtime. You have to hang out with management after hours and really be liked by them. Not fair at all. Really consider your job options before committing to this job. City of Alexandria...... NOT THE WAY TO GO........
fun place to work
It is an easy job for someone looking to get into the city. Best part is being able to interact with different people all day. Summer time is hard to work with the heat and being outdoors.
Alexandria is a beautiful city.
The citizens, council, retirees, and employees are friendly. Employees provide excellent service to the community. Employees will notice their job security and satisfaction depends on their manager - experiences vary.
Benefits
City of Alexandria
Great people to work with, management can be so so at times.I learned that you need to be able to be flexible and move within departments but also know what your role is to the organization and master that.
Great place to work!
The City of Alexandria is a great place to work. There is room for advancement and growth and it is really encouraged. Many employees retire after they have worked for the City of Alexandria for 30 plus years.
Great place to work!
Great place to work! I will miss my colleague and the community the most. Fast-paced, small town environment and plenty of opportunities for career advancement and changes.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Alexandria, VA. Our community is ready to answer.
City of Alexandria, VA Reviews by Location