City of Alexandria, VA Employee Reviews

Creative and environmental friendly
Equipment Operator II (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 22, 2018
A great place to work for environmental friendly people. The city is on track when it comes to going green. The city yard waste program has taken to a higher level along with expanding the transportation program.
Never Again
Procurement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 25, 2018
This was one of the worst jobs that I have ever held. I do not recommend anyone with any amount of self respect apply to this job. I would never go back.
Work Place
N/A (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 21, 2018
All locations have different work environments. You have to make the best out of it. From the recreation center to the administrative office be sure to focus on what you came to do.
Great place for anyone
Real Property Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 27, 2018
Great place to learn and grow in your specific career field. Supportive management and friendly people here at the job and within the community. Great experience.
Pros
Weekends and holidays off
Cons
Staying late for mandatory meetings
Great environment with opportunities to advance in rank
DOT Para-transit Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 23, 2018
A great environment, with opportunities to advance; a good place to work with a professional atmosphere. There are numerous opportunities for advancing.
Pros
Work hours are flexible
Cons
Breaks could be longer
Not a good place to work
Laborer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 13, 2018
Not a good place to work. Management in the T&ES division needs replaced. They only care about them selves. Plus the pay isn't good at all. They want you to be able to preform all job duties and tasks without having the proper man power or tools. Another thing is if you want any overtime. You have to hang out with management after hours and really be liked by them. Not fair at all. Really consider your job options before committing to this job. City of Alexandria...... NOT THE WAY TO GO........
fun place to work
LIFEGUARD/POOL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 13, 2018
It is an easy job for someone looking to get into the city. Best part is being able to interact with different people all day. Summer time is hard to work with the heat and being outdoors.
Alexandria is a beautiful city.
Human Resources Technician I (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 10, 2018
The citizens, council, retirees, and employees are friendly. Employees provide excellent service to the community. Employees will notice their job security and satisfaction depends on their manager - experiences vary.
Benefits
City of Alexandria
Senior Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 9, 2018
Great people to work with, management can be so so at times.I learned that you need to be able to be flexible and move within departments but also know what your role is to the organization and master that.
Great place to work!
Therapist/Clinical Recovery Coach (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 8, 2018
The City of Alexandria is a great place to work. There is room for advancement and growth and it is really encouraged. Many employees retire after they have worked for the City of Alexandria for 30 plus years.

Want to know more about City of Alexandria, VA?

Ask a question
Great place to work!
Recreation Leader I & II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA 22314January 21, 2018
Great place to work! I will miss my colleague and the community the most. Fast-paced, small town environment and plenty of opportunities for career advancement and changes.
Fun face paced workplace
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 31, 2017
The city is a great place to work. I enjoy serving all the citizens of the city of Alexandria. We work together as a team as essential personnel to keep the city up and running!
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Pay
Good Stable Job
Operator) Public Safety Officer I (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 27, 2017
I very much enjoyed my time there. The staff and management were all amazing. The salary was average but the benefits were fantastic. The job it's self can be very stressful at times and very calm other times. If you don't mind 12 hour shifts and a rotating schedule I would defiantly recommend it.
Pros
Coworkers and Staff, Benefits, Job Stability
Cons
Work Hours, Very Stressful
Cheapskates and your typical boring Govt. job
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 18, 2017
Nothing interesting about working for the City of Alex. The only way you'll be able to enjoy the area you work is if your spouse makes more money than you......

Bottom line, you know what you're getting when you sign up to be a Govt. Employee. But for many years now, the benefits/pension have gotten worse w/local and muni govts and the City of Alex. is no different. They nickel and dime you over $500 raises and certain departments haven't kept up with the times (To not allow workers a few days of telecommuting is old fashioned).....
Pros
job security
Cons
boredom, low pay, expensive cost of living.
"Old School" in many ways, but improving.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 16, 2017
Small town government with typical small town issues: long-term employment with some evidence of stagnation in professional growth; resistance to change and moving the organization forward; continued practice of linking one-size-fits-all performance management system to "merit" pay (longevity pay, in actuality); and lingering presence of various "-isms," including nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism, which in a small environment have a more deleterious impact than similar issues in larger organizations. A tightening of HR policy (and uniform enforcement) and managerial accountability, coupled with robust change management practices could move the organization from an average place to work to a good or even a great one.
Fast paced work environment
Account Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 13, 2017
Coming into city hall i enjoyed my overall work experience. I learned alot. I enjoyed the fact that there was not one set job but many. With little breaks my coworkers and I were always busy.
Pros
Family environment
Quality workplace because of the people
Civil Engineer IV (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 28, 2017
The City of Alexandria was in transition during my tenure there but was on the right track for improvement. I was privileged to be a part of the change process to make significant improvement to a number of their practices.
Pros
Great talent
Cons
Missing structure
Relaxed and flexible work environment
IT Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 18, 2017
I enjoyed working at City of Alexandria but the deductions from my pay check were high and the retirement system keeps changing. The work schedule was good.
wonderful multicultural work enviorment
Recreation Leader II - (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 13, 2017
I enjoyed providing multicultural activites for various age groups, supervising children on field trips, front desk monitoring executing excellent customer service for both children and families.
Pros
working with the community
Cons
not a full time position
Fast-paced work environment
Contracts and Grants Coordinator Consultant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 30, 2017
Fast-paced environment with room to implement new practices. Work with agencies across the city so more exposure and ability to make a lasting impact on procedures and communications.