City of Arlington

City of Arlington Employee Reviews

This is a great entity to work for. Only con is that there is little room for upward growth because people tend to stay in their roles for a long time
Cons
Little room for advancement
Residential/Commercial construction inspection. Understaffed, tons of inspections those with seniority are given at least half the inspections. The new person is giving a ton of inspections and asked to not get overtime. A lot of challenging personalities. Never told good job only told what you did wrong. The chief inspector is great, but he is overworked.
Pros
Work/ life balance
Cons
Insurance is horrible. Pay is better than most cities but there is a reason why. Micromanaged
City of Arlington is a great place to work. They give you great benefits. Work is constant, regardless of weather. You’re at the call of the citizens of the city
Fun place to work, very friendly, wonderful staff. Great place to work, really miss working there. Very supportive management staff, good training opportunities.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
work life balance
Fun place to work in. The departments in Public Works are relatively small so you get to know everyone very fast. Work culture is sometimes independent with a little bit of team effort.
Excelente cultura laboral, preocupación dedicada para cada trabajador con excelentes beneficios laborales, un buen lugar para mantener un empleo estable y desarrollo de una carrera perdurable.
I worked animal services for 20 years and love my job soo much. I started as kennel assistance for 4 half years and I got promoted as code compliance officer and did that for 15 years
Great place to work, I recommend the City of Arlington as a desirable place to work. A very professional environment with very service oriented staff.
A typical day at work is pretty relaxed and not so stress full. If we get into work a bit early e are allowed to get into the water and go off the diving board.
Good environment to work in. Learned to engage the public. Good experience in learning how to deliver public projects and processes for working with contractors.
I liked working there then the manager was trying to micromanage me. Also, my hours were cut back. I was basically wasting time coming for the morning shft.
kennel manager is unprofessional, rude, doesn't care about staff or animals. just a paycheck for her. she plays favoritism, so if you arent on her good side, you do not get days off as asked for, nor promoted. she promoted someone who got there after current part time employees, which was unfair to the ones who put the time in. you get blamed for things others do ( or don't do) she talks down on employees in front of others, is constantly talking about other employees behind their backs, and bullies employees as well as allowing it from other staff.
Pros
get to try and save animals
Cons
everything else!
Worked in two different departments within the city, parks and rec and handitran. Both jobs were 100% secure but both lacked in pay. You did have decent benefits, and flexible hours, but the pay was always on the low side.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay scale
Working for the City was different The city did not work as a team Each city department worked against each other to make their money Office workers were treated better then - field workers
Beginning of Day Come to work, clock in Discuss (in office) what the plan is for that day Stock our trucks up for that day Get the computer in the truck started up Fill the truck up with gas Head out into the field End of day (if necessary) fill truck up with gas Wash truck off with "high pressure" water spray tools if any time is left drive to the dump, (remove metal water meter lids and throw them in metal lids pile),(remove trash from inside of truck and bed of truck into the dumpster).
Pros
Purpose
Cons
poor flexible schedule
Working for a City crew just means that you get to help take care of the city you live in. Making the city a better place and helping with the upkeep of everything going on.
I have been with they City for a total of 6 years. Being a City employee you do received great benefits and dependent upon your position, your pay is usually decent. I have received three promotions during my tenure with the City and have advanced quickly. The main and major issue I have is with the horrible supervisor I have. This person is has been verbally abusive, non-supportive, lack of care in work relationship, and a poor leader. This is the main reason I am considering another position or career change. This person has made my work environment and day to day an extremely unwelcoming place to be. I would work anywhere else in the City, but no longer will I work in the Golf Division for the City.
Very Tense Workplace, The culture does not allow for advancement. Questionable business practices. If you can make it work its a sweet gig but it is unsustainable.
Benefits
Cons
I found the city of Arlington much lower than other cities like when I went to work for Keller. Although I took on many additional responsibilities in the water Department I enjoyed , the compensation for doing so was very limited
Pros
Diversified work
Cons
Poor raises and benefits
It was a good job, with good people and benefits. It was a job that required physical work, so it kept me in shape. The management was kind and understanding.
Pros
Part-time
Cons
Not full-time
Great place to work. The management is amazing. The most important thing that i learned from this experience was how to make anything work. the objective was to get something done and you had to figure out a way for it to happen.
Pros
Amazing work enviornment
Cons
Not enough hours
  1. Employee Reviews