City of Arvada

City of Arvada Employee Reviews

United States32 reviews
The Parks Maintenance department was a fairly well-organized group with several divisions for different areas of the city. I learned a lot of varied jobs that were needed to be done. Everyone was helpful and able to have fun with each other while we worked.
Pros
The work day ended at 3:30pm, and on Fridays it ended at 12:30. Do not work weekends unless scheduled to do so.
Cons
The work day starts at 6:30 am everyday.
Employees are leaving left and right. Arvada used to be a great place to work. This is not true anymore. Unqualified people are being promoted that have no clue how to manage. And the top sticks up for their poor management choices at the expense of excellent employees with 10-30 plus years of experience. Very sad how horrible this once great employer has become.
Benefits
Cons
Managment
I would advise not working for the City of Arvada. Depending on what area you are in be prepared for politics and poor management. Typical of most Government jobs. But for Arvada it was very prominent and terrible. This was the worse job experience I have had. Dont let the benefits or salary smoke screen a decision in to working here.
Pros
Benefits, Some Fellow Employees
Cons
Poor Management, Communication, Training, Politics
Typical (great) IT culture, with great small team feel. Department supports all local government departments. IT Department well structured with great leadership.
Pros
Social events, Team meetings.
Command staff is hit or miss if they support you. Lots of money for new toys, but they're losing people like crazy, and probably for a reason.

They'll pay for your POST though, so that's something!
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
The City of Arvada has a good culture. The atmosphere is laid back but for the most part, all employees are motivated and as an organization they strive to do the best they can for the residents and tax payers within the city.
The most enjoyable part of the job is collaborating with others. There is a great deal of cooperation between employees. Most employees are passionate about their jobs and willingness to assist others.
Pros
Health care is good
Cons
Sometimes management does not follow the Mission Statement
Wasteful spending. No sense of accomplishment. Slashed health/medical benefits while still buying 7 foot television sets at city hall. No emphasis on processes or IT security.
The organization as a whole is good. However there is some poor management in place. Some of the managers are lazy and do not understand when they have good talent in place.
Pros
life work balance
Cons
poor management
it was great working here. the politics are weird and people are sleeping with each other and no one seems to care. I have never been bullied like i was at the Arvada Center in my life.
The City of Arvada is a professional organization that values its employees. They have a collaborative work force, advancement opportunities and I would highly recommend this employer.
the workers there are pretty cool and fun people to be around. the workers there are very helpful when you ask questions and they are very supportive.
Pros
learn new things
Cons
joking around a lot
Overall a great place to work! Great people, plenty of opportunity for advancement, plenty of time off and cheap health insurance. Would highly recommend.
Support multiple platforms of technology. Constantly involved in new projects. High stress environment and little or no recognition for work performed.
Pros
40 hour work weeks. Great benefits
Cons
Very structured management.
Arvada management has gone back twenty years insofar as favoritism is most important and quality of work is not. Neither is good service delivery emphasized or practiced. Service delivery is secondary to feeding individual egos from the top down.
Pros
Good people, excellent benefits
Cons
Quality work discouraged, ethically challenged, poor citizen service delivery
Overall it could be a great place to work, but there is some difficult supervisors in the agency. Your overall experience could be completely dependent on who you're working for.
I was a police officer for Arvada, and the folks there are wonderful. Great team environment, great training, and just overall I really nice work environment.
I enjoyed working here; however, I prefer to work at a quicker pace. The culture is friendly and the employees are helpful to one another. I think this organization is very stable.
Work at the city for seven years. Good people. Variety of people. The only problem is when there is a big change over due to elections or directors. Best hope they like you or your world can get pretty gritty.
Pros
Good people and good pay.
Cons
Changes in Directors or elections.
I was an intern for the City of Arvada Water Revenue so I don't think my review is very valid. The employees I worked for were incredibly nice and I loved going into work every day. It's a shame they eliminated all the part-time jobs while I was working, which caused me to lose my long internship, but I wish I could have worked there longer!
Pros
Fun, Friendly
This is just another government job. Management is not held accountable for their actions. Employees are held accountable at random. Leadership in absent or retroactive.