City of Aurora, CO Employee Reviews

Well run municipality
Personnel Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 31, 2018
The City of Aurora is third largest city in Colorado and provides wealth of services to its citizens. Offer opportunities for career advancement and provides a competitive salary and benefits package.
Pros
Progressive organization
Cons
Political desires of council members
good
Senior Mail Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 26, 2018
I like working in aurora there is no room for advancement and I would like to find some where closer to home that I can utilize my skills and have room for growth.
Working for the City of Aurora was a great learning experience
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 14, 2018
Working for them was a great way to get my foot in the door. I was able to lear a lot and get help when I needed it. They had flexible hours that worked well with my schedule.
Pros
Flexible Hours
It is Meh
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 26, 2018
There were plenty of fun times but also some bad times. A lot of the new people are grabby which is why I am leaving. The management is very hectic and do not communicate very well.
Wish it wasn't a seasonal position
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 25, 2018
I enjoyed working outdoors and being outside was refreshing. The position was seasonal though, and I was never told who contact if I were interested in working for the city again.
Good steady employment
Traffic Signal Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 23, 2018
This is a Wonderful position and a reliably strong employer.
I hold an important position which makes my day have purpose. The Safety of the public, my co-workers, the Police/ Fire and myself are what really matters.
Keeping the City and its occupants Mobile, safe and able to take full advantage of Aurora's many Transportation options reliably is what my job is about
Pros
Steady job, Important role, Never a dull moment
Cons
Room for growth in smaller departments
Management lacked basic ethics
Grants Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CoApril 19, 2018
The upper management lacked basic ethics. Poor management and open hostility to elected officials on behalf of my manager and executive staff.I would not recommend working in the Finance Department.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Horrible or lack of ethics
Great Team Lead Experience
Lead C.N.A/Activity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 12, 2018
I was a team leader and activity assistant and took care of participants that would come into our program, this was a great team-focused work environment.
Productive workplace
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  aurora, coMarch 9, 2018
Gained a lot of knowledge from my supervisor.

Worked with a lot of bright and helpful professionals.

The benefits were great, and the environment was productive.
Fun summer memories
GUEST SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 20, 2018
While working for the city, I gained a lot of experiences. The people you work with are very fun and knowledgeable, the management isn't the best at times.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
City of Aurora
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 6, 2018
On a typical work day I solve problems for various projects. I learn how to work on a team. My manager is amazing. The workplace environment is excellent.
Pros
Great Benefits & Coworkers
Cons
Lower than Market Pay
Stable but very little opportunity
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 3, 2018
Pros

* Stable, no mass layoffs
* Has an old fashioned defined benefit pension

Cons

* Very little opportunity for advancement - the position you are in today is where you'll be in 10 years
* No defined career path - no guidance in policy or from management on what you must do to advance
* Very slow salary growth - in a recent compensation briefing HR admitted that Aurora is lags behind other metro area cities in compensation; lags FAR behind the private sector
* Stingy with training/education - no tuition reimbursement, training/education most often expected to be done on your own time at your own expense
* Good ole boys/girls culture - leadership takes care of themselves and a chosen few; hard work, education, and experience count for little if you don't fit a certain profile
* Lacking in diversity - this is not the place to work if you are a minority; you will be pigeon-holed and frustrated, and at the bottom of the compensation scale
* Lack of opportunity and diversity, and widespread favoritism has bred a "do the bare minimum" attitude
* Low morale, tense "look out for number one" atmosphere
* Vindictive managers with HUGE egos

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for everyone that is willing to excel, and clearly define the path to those opportunities. Provide mentoring and invest in training. Increase diversity and bring compensation up to market level. Break down the good ole boys network, that doesn't mean replace it with a good ole girls network. Give more credence to education, experience and hard work rather than favoring people whose
  more... backgrounds match your own. Get vindictive, power hungry managers under control.

Read the reviews you are getting on various job boards. They all echo the same issues.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Vindictive management, no opportunity for advancement, lack diversity
It's a decent stepping stone
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 30, 2018
This is a great place to receive experience and learn new things. But I don't know that this is a great place for people long term- at least ones who are just starting out. The issue is that everyone stays and it is extremely hard for attrition to happen. Therefore, the wrong people stay in the wrong position for far to long.

Further, management is not cohesive and generally has a routine of throwing people under the bus. One of the managers who quit said it best, "You're not important unless they need something from you"
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Poor compensation, Poor management, Great people who are not in management
Working for the City of Aurora
Receptionist/Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 26, 2017
A typical day at work was, I would always be in early and start work immediately; by scanning documents until I had some Accounts Payable items to process. Answered phone calls as they came in. Afternoons I would work with other admin to go over duties for the Purchasing side as far as sending out Purchase Orders, assigning purchase requisitions in their system, receiving Request For Proposals, time/date stamping in. I would also open and sort mail one in the morning and once in the afternoon; then distribute.

Productive and fun workplace, enjoyed working with coworkers; everyone was so helpful. I loved keeping busy; worked finance roles in the morning and purchasing in the afternoon. Never saw much of Management as they were always very busy; I believe with year-end, they are under a tight deadline to have tasks accomplished. Culture was great there, everyone was so nice.

I don't recall anything that was hard about this job, as the admins trained and sat with me to ensure I understood their steps to get the job accomplished.
Driven work place
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 23, 2017
Working for the city if Aurora was a great experience, while working for the city of aurora I learned a few skills in grounds keeping that will keep me informed for sometime.
Steady paycheck
Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 7, 2017
A typical day involved keeping female coworkers at bay without anyone complaining about me.

Job was boring, repetitive and unrewarding.

Contractors were OK to deal with.
City of Aurora
Senior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 31, 2017
The City of Aurora is a perfect place to work. The job is in Accounts Payable with many other accounting duties to add a lot of challenge and interest to the job.
Good place to work, but management needs some work
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 18, 2017
The City of Aurora is overall a good place to work. The stress level is relatively low and the pace is not too fast or slow. The benefits are decent, but the pay is on the low end. The management is quite old school, but it's getting better as the older managers retire.
Benefits
Fun and good summer job
Head-guard/Life-guard/Swim Coach (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 12, 2017
I love the people and the time paid off. Good place to work, meet a lot of new things and there is potential and moving up and knowledge yourself, always work hard and it will be seen.
Chief Bailiff
Chief Bailiff (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 12, 2017
I had to make sure the courtrooms were opened on time and fully staffed. Make sure to check in attorneys, public defenders and defendants. I had to make scheduling for the bailiff and reporters on a daily basis. I have to detain defendants till the marshals office comes to take the defendant away to jail.
Pros
job security
Cons
sometimes short staffed