City of Austin Employee Reviews

long hours and poor management
treatment operator/mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2018
Supervisors are not trained well and are not real nice.I learned how to make drinkable water (class C surface water license from TCEQ)Coworkers are great h but once they are supervisors they get power crazy..
Pros
good training and good benefits
Cons
bad management
Typical city employent
Traveling within the City of Austin
Holidays
Retirement
Sick Leave transfer
Pros
Annual raises
Cons
Office politics
I enjoy working for the City of Austin
Administrative Senior (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2018
I left my position to go back to school full time. I had great time working for the City of Austin and will not mind going back to there.
My manager was great and all the whole team.
Pros
downtown- traffic horrible
Cons
flexible hours
Mostly yes, a little uuuuugh
Community Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
I love working for the current department, however others are suffering from organizational trauma. But if you can find a manager who will give you a long leash and the autonomy to do what you know how to do, and trust you to do so, it's magical.

Overall the benefits are outstanding, however corporate HR is definitely not your friend. Individual departments have the ability to create different policies as it relates to short term disability, FMLA and donated hours, but the fail to communicate and the inability for Corporate HR to know what a department HR is doing is mind boggling.
benefits
Cons
Corporate HR; interview process; politics in advancement
Environmental Specialist
Environmental Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2018
Worked for the City of Austin Solid Waste Services and helped with setting up hazardous waste disposal options for businesses who generated small amounts of hazardous waste.
Efficient office
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2018
Responsible for auditing regulatory legal documents submitted by companies applying for Operating Authority for Ground Transportation Service with the City of Austin, and applicants applying for Chauffeur Licenses and Special Events Permits.

Reviewed applicant criminal histories, insurance records, documents of incorporation, affidavits, and driving records for completeness and compliance with the City Code.

Responded to Open Records Requests and public inquiries. Handled cash payments from customers, issued receipts, and recorded payments electronically.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
High volume of applicants. Cash/Check only office, no debit machine to process payments.
Productive and educational
Lead Treatment plant mechanic&operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2018
Productive and educational. Lots of training and learning new traits. Workplace safety was of dire importance. You had to work and learn to coordinate with others
Loved working here
Senior Admin (Former Employee) –  Austin txOctober 8, 2018
I did enjoy working for the city however and depending on what department you are in you are either micromanaged or not at all. There seems to me a who you know to get jobs there.
workinf for
Department Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2018
There is room for growth after working for several years but the culture is not well for young out of college graduates. Great benefits and retirement plan.
great place to work
Outreach Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 30, 2018
GREAT place to work. Despite being a large City, staff is friendly and management likes to promote within. Overall great benefits and retirement plan.
Balance and Mission
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Great people, purpose filled but lower pay. Flexible hours - was able to start my day at 7am and leave by 4pm. Critical with Mopac traffic.

Some bureaucracy but to be expected. Most employees were glad to be there.
Pros
Downtown location, great people, good mission
Cons
Low pay, older assets, Downtown location
Big turn around
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 14, 2018
CMC had a great group of people, who understood each other, and who showed respect to each other then you see where the upper management didn't like that so they would move people and put the trouble makers with the good people and make working there hard.
benefits
Cons
people
I enjoy working for the City of Austin and plan on retiring in the next 10 years.
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I plan on retiring with the City of Austin.The City of Austin is a great entity to work for. I worked my way up from a temporary employee to a full time Human Resource Generalist.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No gyms
Great place to work, fun, productive
Customer Service Supervisors I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to work, outstanding management, great benefits.
The company always provided all tools necessary to do your job
and do it well. Strong management support.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Relaxed and fun
Researcher Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
The work at City of Austin was relaxing and fun. They hire diverse populations with different backgrounds. The manager was great and understandable. Working environment was very flexible and not stressful.
Great benefits, Permanent positions scarce
Pet Resource Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2018
As an employer, City of Austin has great benefits if you are a permanent employee. Problem is, they keep people as temps for YEARS is some departments. Which means everyone that is a temp applies for ALL perm positions, and seniority is the final determining factor of who gets hired if there is a tie in points earned during interview.
Pros
Benefits for Perm Employees and long term temps
Cons
No dental coverage available for temp employees that qualify for health insurance, too many chiefs, not enough workers (top heavy in management)
Excellent career oppurtunities
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2018
One of the best jobs i've ever had. Austin convention center. Downtown atmosphere. Set up for shows and conventions inluding SXSW. Great benefits. Advancement. Feels like your part of a city wide family.
Pros
Benefits, location
Outdated. It's like working in an office during the 90's
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  AustinAugust 18, 2018
The city has decided that a police state is fine with them. So all the money in the city goes to police Department and Fire Department. Hard to see where this is going. Those are hardly the most important things to invest in if you claim to be a progressive city.
Pros
easy going management
Cons
you will never grow.
Best Job Ever
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
I love working for the City of Austin. I'll travel to other states and proudly proclaim that I work for the City of Austin. However, I am now 29 years old and am still in the same position I was in when I first started 6 years ago. In order to advance, one needs a bachelor's degree and I am still working on mine. If it weren't for that small hitch in my giddy-up I would never leave until I'm completely done with all my schooling, including getting my Doctorate.
Pros
Adventurous, Everyday is a new experience.
Cons
Can't get on permanently without have a degree
workplace
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2018
enjoy working with nice and friendly staff and upper manager, work at your on paste, no manage control at all, wish for a bigger work space and more selective choices on vending machine
Pros
co-workers
Cons
not enough offices