City of Austin Employee Reviews

Great place to work, fun, productive
Customer Service Supervisors I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to work, outstanding management, great benefits.
The company always provided all tools necessary to do your job
and do it well. Strong management support.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Relaxed and fun
Researcher Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
The work at City of Austin was relaxing and fun. They hire diverse populations with different backgrounds. The manager was great and understandable. Working environment was very flexible and not stressful.
Great benefits, Permanent positions scarce
Pet Resource Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2018
As an employer, City of Austin has great benefits if you are a permanent employee. Problem is, they keep people as temps for YEARS is some departments. Which means everyone that is a temp applies for ALL perm positions, and seniority is the final determining factor of who gets hired if there is a tie in points earned during interview.
Pros
Benefits for Perm Employees and long term temps
Cons
No dental coverage available for temp employees that qualify for health insurance, too many chiefs, not enough workers (top heavy in management)
Excellent career oppurtunities
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2018
One of the best jobs i've ever had. Austin convention center. Downtown atmosphere. Set up for shows and conventions inluding SXSW. Great benefits. Advancement. Feels like your part of a city wide family.
Pros
Benefits, location
Outdated. It's like working in an office during the 90's
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  AustinAugust 18, 2018
The city has decided that a police state is fine with them. So all the money in the city goes to police Department and Fire Department. Hard to see where this is going. Those are hardly the most important things to invest in if you claim to be a progressive city.
Pros
easy going management
Cons
you will never grow.
Best Job Ever
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
I love working for the City of Austin. I'll travel to other states and proudly proclaim that I work for the City of Austin. However, I am now 29 years old and am still in the same position I was in when I first started 6 years ago. In order to advance, one needs a bachelor's degree and I am still working on mine. If it weren't for that small hitch in my giddy-up I would never leave until I'm completely done with all my schooling, including getting my Doctorate.
Pros
Adventurous, Everyday is a new experience.
Cons
Can't get on permanently without have a degree
workplace
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2018
enjoy working with nice and friendly staff and upper manager, work at your on paste, no manage control at all, wish for a bigger work space and more selective choices on vending machine
Pros
co-workers
Cons
not enough offices
Great Benefits
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 7, 2018
The benefits are great. I have a very important job and feel like i am a 'voice' for the citizens of Austin. My circumstances are a little different than most City Employees in that I am currently performing dual roles. I do not feel as though I am being fairly compensated, but I am hopeful that Management will eventually do the right thing and compensate me for my worth. The culture in my office is great. Very diverse. The hardest part of my job is working with the public who are in tough situations in that they are allegedly being discriminated against and their livelihoods are being compromised. It takes a great deal of patience and compassion to work withe distressed people, but I love it.
Pros
Flexible schedule, \great benefits
Cons
The Equal Employment/Fair Housing office should not be under the Human Resources umbrella.
Great, if you can handle the stress
Call Taker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 5, 2018
This is a great job, if you are skilled in crisis management and can handle the stress of saving lives on a day-to-day basis. Benefits are excellent too.
The City of Austin gave me great opportunities to learn and promote
Communications Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 31, 2018
There is no such thing as a typical day at work at Austin Police Department. The gave me a leadership opportunity as a newcomer to the department. I was selected to attend the Leadership Academy, which was based on the Westpoint Military College Leadership Program.
Pros
Great learning and promotion Opportunities
Cons
Shift Work - no set days off
Building Inspector (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2018
Productive, fast paced, friendly, good place to work for. Very good treatment by other employees, very responsive managers and supervisors. Would recommend to friends.
Fun work place with interoffice fun competetions.
Customer Service Representative Senior (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2018
I have just one comment it is political and can be very stressful. Typical government agency and very "clique-ish". Other than management and political issues I loved the atmosphere and enjoyed my job until I retired. Working at the City of Austin really afforded me the opportunity to give back to the community and to help the community understand the City of Austin Austin Energy services.
Big on Safety with the Kids
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 21, 2018
For me the job is pretty laid back you just need to watch your surrounding. I learned how to safety cross kids across in a safe manner. I didn't like having to work outside when it was bad weather days like when it would rain really bad or on hot sunny days.
Pros
Had fun Company Meeting.
Cons
Had to work outside
Thsi organization is very professional and hands on about each worker
Accountant AP Associate (Former Employee) –  Communications Technology Management DiepartmentJuly 21, 2018
The City of Austin gave each individual as much responsibility as
you could handle. Always felt they had my interests at heart. It
was wonder working for them.
Good not Great
COURT CLERK ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2018
The City of Austin was my best job so far. The job security is there, but moving up the ladder was difficult for me despite the fact that I was qualified.
Pros
Good Career Building Tools
Cons
But not many true opportunities for advancement
Bosses were wasteful and thieves.
Airport Building Maintenance Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2018
I was excited about this job, but the waste and thievery, even by managers. I was happy to retire when I did. This was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I felt like I was going to be a public servant. It turned out to be watching management wasting money, (hundreds of thousands of dollars), and outright thievery by my bosses. I hate talking negatively about a former job, but since most of us live in cities, I think people should know this.
Pros
Able to help our community as a public servant and welcome visitors to Austin.
Cons
Being supervised by wasters of City of Austin resources and thieves
Lifeguard
San Gabriel St. - Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2018
Lifeguarding is 99% just sitting and waiting. Most of the time you are responsible for enforcing pool rules, cleaning and maintenance. Primary duty is to ensure patron safety and protect lives.
Great pay and hard wokring employees
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
Management is very strict about your certification which is a very good thing so you always review your skills in CPR, water rescue and first aid. the scheduling is very very flexible and the pay is awesome. helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle because you must be fit and healthy in order to do your job.
Pros
pay, safe environment
Cons
organization, communication
Stable and Secure
Budget Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Austin City HallJune 26, 2018
I've been at this job for almost seven years now. It is a job with high level of security and the benefits are great. Since the budget cycle is highly cyclical my workload fluctuates quite a bit from time to time. Certain tasks can be very repetitive.
Aquatics department was ran pretty well.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2018
good place to work great wages and flexibility . Easy to switch shifts. Good hours if you get lucky. good pay and competitive. Easy to contact managers and supervisors