City of Austin Employee Reviews

Prductive and fast pace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Lots of resources but I am a temp so the benefits are not included with my job. I have taken many classes that are offered which is great to have and learn. I enjoy getting as much experience as possible and the city offers all of that.
Pretty fun meeting up at the trailers preparing for work
Lawn Care (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2019
We would meet at this location so we could hook uo the trailers with all the tools we need and go out to specific locations to cut the lawn between the hours of 7-2 and take 1hr brake
Pros
Free lunches Friday
Cons
Little work
Fine
Sergeant-DWI Enforcement, Team 1, Night Shift (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 11, 2019
Sometimes the city politics were not in line with rational thinking. The police department in under funded and needs a new police HQ and new sub stations. The city has grown by about 20% but the number of police and police facilities have not grown with the city due to the lack of police support by the city council in general.
Great place
Code Officer Inspector B (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2019
City of Austin was a great place to work but it is also a who you know kind of place. People get hired with no experience getting paid more than people with experience just because they're friends with the manager it's who you know. if they don't want you to move up you won't get to move up again it's a who you know and Friends with benefits situation.
The city has a lot of money to spend on training items needed for the job vehicles etc that was an excellent part of working here. Some people don't do any work at all even sleep and get away with it that was very annoying when you're really there to do a job.
the managers in my department didn't seem to care about people not doing their job their lack of work was then put on the harder workers let's just made it a confusing situation.
The one good thing it was that family came first they were very understanding about family needs. Also having medical paid for was extremely important.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Good ol boy system
Fast paced
Austin Animal Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 28, 2018
My job is fast paced and constantly changing. Each day is different from the previous. Working outdoors and driving around the City of Austin is awesome.
Benefits
Cons
Some management
long hours and poor management
treatment operator/mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2018
Supervisors are not trained well and are not real nice.I learned how to make drinkable water (class C surface water license from TCEQ)Coworkers are great h but once they are supervisors they get power crazy..
Pros
good training and good benefits
Cons
bad management
Typical city employent
Traveling within the City of Austin
Holidays
Retirement
Sick Leave transfer
Pros
Annual raises
Cons
Office politics
Easy work that's also rewarding.
City of Austin Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 24, 2018
The most difficult thing is definitely dealing with upset participants. Luckily, the good always outweighs the bad and the fun parts of the job are highly rewarding.
Pros
Easy, good pay, stable
Cons
Can be stressful, hard to advance, sometimes difficult to deal with participants
I enjoy working for the City of Austin
Administrative Senior (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2018
I left my position to go back to school full time. I had great time working for the City of Austin and will not mind going back to there.
My manager was great and all the whole team.
Pros
downtown- traffic horrible
Cons
flexible hours
Mostly yes, a little uuuuugh
Community Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
I love working for the current department, however others are suffering from organizational trauma. But if you can find a manager who will give you a long leash and the autonomy to do what you know how to do, and trust you to do so, it's magical.

Overall the benefits are outstanding, however corporate HR is definitely not your friend. Individual departments have the ability to create different policies as it relates to short term disability, FMLA and donated hours, but the fail to communicate and the inability for Corporate HR to know what a department HR is doing is mind boggling.
benefits
Cons
Corporate HR; interview process; politics in advancement
Environmental Specialist
Environmental Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2018
Worked for the City of Austin Solid Waste Services and helped with setting up hazardous waste disposal options for businesses who generated small amounts of hazardous waste.
Efficient office
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2018
Responsible for auditing regulatory legal documents submitted by companies applying for Operating Authority for Ground Transportation Service with the City of Austin, and applicants applying for Chauffeur Licenses and Special Events Permits.

Reviewed applicant criminal histories, insurance records, documents of incorporation, affidavits, and driving records for completeness and compliance with the City Code.

Responded to Open Records Requests and public inquiries. Handled cash payments from customers, issued receipts, and recorded payments electronically.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
High volume of applicants. Cash/Check only office, no debit machine to process payments.
Productive and educational
Lead Treatment plant mechanic&operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2018
Productive and educational. Lots of training and learning new traits. Workplace safety was of dire importance. You had to work and learn to coordinate with others
Loved working here
Senior Admin (Former Employee) –  Austin txOctober 8, 2018
I did enjoy working for the city however and depending on what department you are in you are either micromanaged or not at all. There seems to me a who you know to get jobs there.
workinf for
Department Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2018
There is room for growth after working for several years but the culture is not well for young out of college graduates. Great benefits and retirement plan.
great place to work
Outreach Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 30, 2018
GREAT place to work. Despite being a large City, staff is friendly and management likes to promote within. Overall great benefits and retirement plan.
Balance and Mission
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Great people, purpose filled but lower pay. Flexible hours - was able to start my day at 7am and leave by 4pm. Critical with Mopac traffic.

Some bureaucracy but to be expected. Most employees were glad to be there.
Pros
Downtown location, great people, good mission
Cons
Low pay, older assets, Downtown location
Big turn around
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 14, 2018
CMC had a great group of people, who understood each other, and who showed respect to each other then you see where the upper management didn't like that so they would move people and put the trouble makers with the good people and make working there hard.
benefits
Cons
people
I enjoy working for the City of Austin and plan on retiring in the next 10 years.
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I plan on retiring with the City of Austin.The City of Austin is a great entity to work for. I worked my way up from a temporary employee to a full time Human Resource Generalist.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No gyms
Great place to work, fun, productive
Customer Service Supervisors I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to work, outstanding management, great benefits.
The company always provided all tools necessary to do your job
and do it well. Strong management support.
Pros
Flexible schedule