City of Austin Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Bosses were wasteful and thieves.
Airport Building Maintenance Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2018
I was excited about this job, but the waste and thievery, even by managers. I was happy to retire when I did. This was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I felt like I was going to be a public servant. It turned out to be watching management wasting money, (hundreds of thousands of dollars), and outright thievery by my bosses. I hate talking negatively about a former job, but since most of us live in cities, I think people should know this.
Pros
Able to help our community as a public servant and welcome visitors to Austin.
Cons
Being supervised by wasters of City of Austin resources and thieves
Lifeguard
San Gabriel St. - Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2018
Lifeguarding is 99% just sitting and waiting. Most of the time you are responsible for enforcing pool rules, cleaning and maintenance. Primary duty is to ensure patron safety and protect lives.
Great pay and hard wokring employees
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
Management is very strict about your certification which is a very good thing so you always review your skills in CPR, water rescue and first aid. the scheduling is very very flexible and the pay is awesome. helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle because you must be fit and healthy in order to do your job.
Pros
pay, safe environment
Cons
organization, communication
Stable and Secure
Budget Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Austin City HallJune 26, 2018
I've been at this job for almost seven years now. It is a job with high level of security and the benefits are great. Since the budget cycle is highly cyclical my workload fluctuates quite a bit from time to time. Certain tasks can be very repetitive.
Aquatics department was ran pretty well.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2018
good place to work great wages and flexibility . Easy to switch shifts. Good hours if you get lucky. good pay and competitive. Easy to contact managers and supervisors
Enjoy my work
Maintenace mechanic B (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2018
I really enjoy my job period in the Austin City of Austin, I met interesting people and exchange knowledge and expereance.
It was an excellent work enviroment.
Unproductive environment with opportunity for improvement
Accounting Associate II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 24, 2018
There are several systems used by each department. Most of the systems used are not integrated; therefore, multiplicative work is required. Many of the processes are manual. The work itself is not hard. There is a lot to learn and many opportunities for innovation. The organization needs individuals who can think outside the box and aren't afraid to speak up. The management team has a closed door policy. The Directors speak highly of collaboration, communication, and innovation; however, there is inconsistency with the Department Managers. They don't appear to be very organized and they have a hard time getting on the same page. Individuals are not held accountable for their work or attitude.

I came from the private sector and it has been a hard transition. As I noted earlier, the work itself is not hard. I enjoy learning and I look for ways to work more efficiently. The City of Austin offers a variety of classes at a high level that each employee must take. These classes include safety, work ethics, basic system training, and etc. However, I quickly found that the specific division did not have a formal training program nor procedures. I was expected to learn as I go with less than minimal direction. I quickly found that the employees are not held accountable for their work or attitude, mainly because management does not really know what is going on, what objectives should be in place let alone if they are being met.

In my opinion, there is a great deal of opportunity for improvement and with the right direction from the top this organization could
  more... run much more efficiently and could offer a challenging and rewarding career; however, they are not there yet.  less
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
manual and inefficient processes
Satisfying
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2018
Usually left alone to do job functions, so very trusting supervisors and coworkers. Very professional and mostly stress-free. A bit too bureaucratic, but to be expected when working at a government or public company.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible schedule
very productive working environmmet
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 10, 2018
very competitive working environment .Alot to learn to learn working for the city .the ability to learn diverse and complex situations and come out with a solution.
Pros
non
Cons
1 hr break
Flexable hours
City Staff (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2018
Great for being a student and wanting to work. I could choose my hours a week in advance. some weeks I just didn't work at all but could make up for in another week if I wanted to.
Great Student Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2018
Although the hours are fixed, this job is ideal for students. Lots of free time and good weekend hours. The other employees are typically very friendly.
Great Place to work
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2018
It was a very enjoyable job that paid pretty decent and they train you and help you on the job. Loved the workplace and everyone was really friendly and understanding.
review
Operation & Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2018
In order to lead one must know how to follow, so in the past when placed in a lead role I would show others what I have learned thus further solidifying my own knowledge on the matter while teaching them.
Okay place to work
IT (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2018
The City of Austin is a huge organization, so my experience won't remotely be close to someone else's. My department hasn't been around for very long, so we're still going through some growing pains. Most people that are my coworkers are highly resistant to change, but for the most part, my management is trying to thing more modernized and efficient.
busy busy
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2018
came in as a Temp and they had me on a difficult schedule which made me very tired so the rest of my time in my life was spent sleeping and that was an adjustment
Good Job, Great Coworkers, Benefits Galore
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2018
The saying goes people don't quit jobs, they quit managers. Mine does everything she can to remind me that the saying it SO true. If I could do my exact job for a different boss, I would not be looking right now. Unfortunately, even after trying to resolve the issue through HR and the union, things do not look like they will change.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers, location
Public Service Experience
Environmental Reviewer Specialist / City (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 17, 2018
This position was lacking in variable responsibilities. The City of Austin made available opportunities to gain training and better understanding of environmental issues at hand, particularly water quality issued.
productive jump start
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2018
i good place to work starting out when u just beginning in life the job is acceptable but as you progress you want more money and responsibility, advancement is not quick enough
Pros
great beginner job
Cons
low pay
My review is written below.
Contract Compliance Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2018
This job is rated one of the best I've ever had. The location was great in respect to my home; My coworkers and management were awesome in my department; I loved my scope of work; I appreciated the overall culture.
scenery is always a plus
Bulk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2018
pretrip my truck. learn how to drive certain vehicles in all conditions. management was okay. work place was hostile every morning. hardest part was getting the job done with a three man crew and only 2 men working. enjoyable part was when we helped in weather crisis and came to the aid of total strangers. that in itself is always comforting.
Pros
interacting with all types of people in the field
Cons
if the job requires 3 man crew the job needs all 3 men to come together and get it done