City of Boca Raton, FL Employee Reviews

Nice city
Public Safety Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 16, 2018
Beautiful city with great employees in my division. My last boss was very fair and demanded only the best from her subordinates. Everyone knows their jobs and do them at the best of their ability.
Fast Paced, Stressful
Planning and Zoning (Current Employee) –  Development ServicesMarch 11, 2018
No Training is offered at all, there is a lack of management and very difficult to advance within.

Pay is not competitive and terrible in comparison to other municipalities. Majority of the people you work with at the city are very nice. The environment is a bit strange there is a severe lack of team work, communication and management influence.

Have not been evaluated the entire time I have been there and its been years. No annual merit increases as well. Cost of living increase is all you get, that also has no guarantee. Overworked/underpaid.

Hardest part of the job is being assigned things that have nothing to do with your position, no training and tight deadlines along with the pressure and expectation that you just must know how to do these things no assistance and no instructions, no one to ask for help to either. Left on your own devices a lot.
Pros
Co-workers are really nice, creative freedom
Cons
Pay, No Training, No advancement, ton of responsibility, fast paced its always too busy, not enough staff
Positive enviornment
Ocean Lifeguard/EMT (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 24, 2018
Would recommend to people looking for a career in a job managed by the city. Overall safe environment, with good people in general working there. I have been there for a while.
Pros
Safe environment
Cons
I don't know
Productive workplace
LIFEGUARD (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 22, 2018
Typically slow paced during the off season, but can pick up during summer hours. Chemical checks are preformed hourly with a constant rotation of sit time.
n/a
Guest Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 30, 2017
Work with a small group of friendly people. The work was consistent and productive. Hardest part about the job was ensuring the residents were coded correctly in the system.
ocean rescue
Ocean Rescue Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 20, 2017
this was the best job ive ever had in my life
my bosses and coworkers were extremely helpful and supportive
the beaches were clean and taken care of as were the animals involved like the sea turtle hatchlings or lost or hurt birds
Pros
very much time to myself
Cons
long ten hour day in extreme heat
Horrible workplace
Plant Electrician (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 16, 2017
Horrible workplace, excessive discrimination and there is a lot of favoritism among the managers and less capable employees. I would not recommend this place to anybody.
Welcome to he!!
Development Services Director (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 28, 2017
Top down management style with weak city council. Low employee morale and the city can't figure out how to hold on to its good people in management. Stay away. Also health insurance package is not up to snuff compared to other cities but retirement benefits are good if you can make it to vested status.
Pros
Retierment package is good.
Cons
Terrable work environment.
Administrative Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 2, 2017
The City is a great place to work but if you have aspirations to move up in an organization, I'm not so sure you would like it here, depending on the position. Unfortunately there is the mentality, "it's always been done this way".

Work life balance truly does not exist because it's pretty much 8-5 in many positions. That is a long day no matter how you slice it. They build in an hour lunch which I don't understand. There is no consistency as some folks have .30 lunch breaks built in. There is not a lot of flexibility. Again, that depends on your position. I do not see this as an organization that helps with life/work balances. From my perspective, it's run like the 70's and 80's and should revamp when it comes to the employees. There is a lot of sitting and it's just not healthy in my eyes. Everyone has a choice to make and we all need jobs. I just think that the city workers who sit for 8+ hours a day need an advanced ergonomic program and more choices.

The people are great! You will love your co-workers, I'm sure. You get great benefits as well.

If you are a take charge person who likes to move around a lot, this may not be your cup of tea. If you are looking for a career with benefits and just going with the flow, then it's okay.
Pros
Benefits and nice co-workers
Cons
Not a lot of opportunity for growth
I work independently but promotions are not given generally to most qualified but to preferred candidate
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FL 33432May 4, 2017
A typical work day pace is set by me and I am not pressured as I generally produce and provide reports on schedule in a high paced office. You are allowed to be innovative and suggestions for improvement are welcome.
good job great people
Geoff Handley, Parking Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 10, 2015
Daily teamwork along with doing duties on your own. servicing citizens. monitoring parking and writing tickets. great co-workers
Great Job for retired citizens
Maintenance/Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FloridaJanuary 27, 2015
Quite easy work environment but to much a successful environment if an employee wants to succeed and progress above their peers. To many people in charge. No employee wants to take advantage of the opporrotunites because its a long wait in line.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
Minimal supervision and a very broad job description.
Venue Coordinator-Mizner Park Amphitheater (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 25, 2014
Once you get used to the bureaucracy and painfully sluggish processes that come along with working for any municipality, it's an overall enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Exceptional benefits
Cons
Erratic hours
I love working
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 4, 2014
I really enjoy working with different people in my work place. It make my job more easier why everybody work together as a team. Knowing what we do make a difference in everyday life.
Pros
The Customer and Employee are nice to work with
Cons
Short Break only (15 mins) No benefit at all
Good Job
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 7, 2013
Patrolled parks, always deal with the public.

Get along well with co-worker

Hardest part is working in the hot or cold weather
Cons
outside
GLNC great place to work; City of Boca not so much
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton ,FlJanuary 30, 2013