City of Boston Employee Reviews

Ok place to work not that much culture.
Full Stack Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 11, 2019
This isn't a spot for engineers to start off, you do get exposure to a lot of languages but working as an intern the mentor-ship and guidance was not there. People aren't really approachable in terms of asking for help, or for getting another perspective on a problem but It did teach me how to think like a Software Engineer and critical think to troubleshoot the errors I was running into.
There aren't many Software engineers there, I was one of two engineers that were Full Stack and three other Drupal developers.
Pros
Using the latest agile tools like React.js, Next.js, GraphQL, and many more.
Cons
Lack in culture and diversity, no proper eating areas and lack of other team members willing to help.
A Typical Day At Work
Sanitation Inspector (Current Employee) –  City of Boston, MADecember 6, 2018
Everyday I look forward to going to work. The people I work for and with are some of the most amazing people. I enjoy being out in the Boston proper with the people who make this city what it is. Management always looks out for us and the culture is so diverse and welcoming. The hardest part of my job is leaving at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the constituents.
Excellent place to work-Boston Election Department
Poll Worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
Rewarding day at work. Learning ever evolving. Supportive management. Work culture magnificent. Long hours. Working with different people at all times
Pros
Great organization and people to work alongside to achieve our goals.
Cons
Hours long, but full of fun.
Safe, secure, friends and family plan...
Manager (Current Employee) –  Downtown BostonNovember 5, 2018
A typical day at work involves finding your own direction as management consists mostly of incompetent sycophants whose primary focus is to make the mayor (or one of his friends or family, ie dept. head) look good. Their direction is a closely held secret,as is their intent. Your direction, therefore, is not likely to garner any appreciation (much less praise), unless of course you are amongst the aforementioned friends and/or family. Executive and Middle management consist largely of apple-polishers, some of whom lack even the most basic curriculum vitae for the position they hold. Therefore any serious learning/training, career advancement, job fulfillment for staff is non-existent. They offer in-house certification courses that lack CEUs and DO NOT OFFER any serious tuition reimbursement program. Though they do provide $1,000 towards a degree program, once approved, there is a limited (unknown) number of "scholarship" recipients. Job security is provided via collective bargaining agreements, a boon to all, friends, family and rube alike. The result is a workplace that is political twice over; Mayoral AND typical office politic. (Hold signs or kiss up or both)
An though the atmosphere is generally congenital, if you're considering a position here, understand, it is the dead-EST of dead end jobs.
Pros
7hr work days, pension, 4 weeks vac to start
seasonal
Election poll worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2018
seasonal job only worked during the election. nice people you have to go to training every year it is a nice way to five back to the community and meet new people
Cons
wonderful field to work in
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 24, 2018
working with children is a blessing been doing it for 16 years meeting new kids and parents each year and watch how they grow and how they come back to see u after so many years as well meeting different people different cultures it a great job to work
It’s a beautiful experience working during elections season
Poll Inspector (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 22, 2018
This job is a perfect opportunity to learn about the voting process, understanding your right to vote. Learning what a difference each voter makes. I would recommend this job for all ages
Pros
Making sure people receive fair opportunity voting
Cons
Long day
Productive and Fun
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2018
Very good benefits, A lot of room to grow your career. Great experience to get you prepared for what field you want to pursue as a career. Great people.
Great Invironment
Boston (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 19, 2018
Great work Environment. No chance for advancement. I enjoy protecting my tax dollars. I save myself and fellow City of Boston taxpayers tax dollars on the daily basis
Fun and relax workplace
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 23, 2018
Relax workplace, slow paced... Not very challenging with strong reverence for hierarchy. Friendly work environment and possibility to have flexible hours.
Good 1st job
Manager of Planning & Analysis (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
This was my first management position. During my time here I worked on a variety of projects and learned many things about how to manage a team and projects. The management team was supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers.
Great job security and benefits awful advancement opportunities
Deputy Tax Collector (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2018
The collection department is unionized so you cannot advance based on skill or performance. You must be patient and wait for others to retire or leave to advance. This is very frustrating for individuals trying to grow as professionals but would be perfect if you are happy with the pay and looking for a job you can be at for 5-10+ years with no worry of being fired or laid off.
Pros
Benefits/Job Stability
Cons
Limited advancement, managers who are complacent and feel they cannot improce processes
Productive and Friendly Public Service Experience and Opportunity
Election Department Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2018
Interning at the City of Boston Elections Department was an excellent summer opportunity for me to engage in the Public Service with a local government. The work requires that you travel door-to-door by foot to list citizens for the city's census, however, the Elections Department provides transportation to each of the neighborhoods. Most residents will cooperate with respect and patience.

Through the internship, I developed better communication skills out of the necessity to interact with numerous people. I also got a deeper understanding of the voting process in the city of Boston. I also learned from my peers that after you work with them for your first summer, you can receive a promotion and be a supervisor the next summer. After your second summer, you can work in the Elections Department's office at city hall.
Pros
Good Wage, Internship Experience, Vertical Progression
Love Working for City of Boston.
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA2January 12, 2018
I would love to go back. Hiring right. One of the best job.I have had.
I would recommend any one to work for the City of Boston!!! Love that job due mother passed away very difficult to keep.
contract worker
Insured third party contractor compliance (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MADecember 12, 2017
overall great job, except for part of the year you were laid off due to weather.great team and great way to gain knowledge of city infastrucure. pays alright and otherwise a great place to work
Pros
working outside in summer
Cons
no steady work all year long
Fun place to work most times
Sr. Custodian (Former Employee) –  700 Boylston Street 02121January 7, 2018
Any job that I do I give 100% show up on time pay attention to fine detail loved working with people a very diverse place to work met people from around the world.
Pros
Meet people from all over the world
Good Place To Work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2017
This is a great place to work. Good people, great benefits, and lots of room to move around. The City is constantly changing and with that comes lots of room to be creative and to fulfill personal goals. There are so many opportunities to find your place and to potentially be involved in the creative processes that leads to the solutions that affect everyone
Nice place to work
Office Manager - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 14, 2017
I enjoy my current position, unfortunately; there is no room for growth within my department and it is extremely difficult to get an interview much less a new position.
Pros
Hours, benefits
Cons
No room for growth
Rewarding job, gives you the chance to make a difference.
Volunteer EMT and Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2017
It was a very stressful job being an EMT, sometimes you did 16 hour shifts, sometimes you did 24's sometimes you did 48's. A lot of guys I know just worked a 48 hour shift a week and took the rest of the week off. But most weeks were 70+ hours regularly. I loved the job but the pay was not worth the stresses that come with the job.
Pros
Benefits, Good empolyees, Plenty of work.
Cons
Very long hours, lack of sleep, Very stressfull position.
Registry division
Principal Clerk (Vitals/Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 20, 2017
It is a place where you can start a job that will help you grow. The only thing is to get into city hall or to get a job here you would have to know someone higher up.
Pros
Breaks, Hours, Holidays
Cons
Getting time off depending on manager