City of Boston Employee Reviews

Fun and relax workplace
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 23, 2018
Relax workplace, slow paced... Not very challenging with strong reverence for hierarchy. Friendly work environment and possibility to have flexible hours.
Good 1st job
Manager of Planning & Analysis (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
This was my first management position. During my time here I worked on a variety of projects and learned many things about how to manage a team and projects. The management team was supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers.
Great job security and benefits awful advancement opportunities
Deputy Tax Collector (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2018
The collection department is unionized so you cannot advance based on skill or performance. You must be patient and wait for others to retire or leave to advance. This is very frustrating for individuals trying to grow as professionals but would be perfect if you are happy with the pay and looking for a job you can be at for 5-10+ years with no worry of being fired or laid off.
Pros
Benefits/Job Stability
Cons
Limited advancement, managers who are complacent and feel they cannot improce processes
Productive and Friendly Public Service Experience and Opportunity
Election Department Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2018
Interning at the City of Boston Elections Department was an excellent summer opportunity for me to engage in the Public Service with a local government. The work requires that you travel door-to-door by foot to list citizens for the city's census, however, the Elections Department provides transportation to each of the neighborhoods. Most residents will cooperate with respect and patience.

Through the internship, I developed better communication skills out of the necessity to interact with numerous people. I also got a deeper understanding of the voting process in the city of Boston. I also learned from my peers that after you work with them for your first summer, you can receive a promotion and be a supervisor the next summer. After your second summer, you can work in the Elections Department's office at city hall.
Pros
Good Wage, Internship Experience, Vertical Progression
Love Working for City of Boston.
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA2January 12, 2018
I would love to go back. Hiring right. One of the best job.I have had.
I would recommend any one to work for the City of Boston!!! Love that job due mother passed away very difficult to keep.
Fun place to work most times
Sr. Custodian (Former Employee) –  700 Boylston Street 02121January 7, 2018
Any job that I do I give 100% show up on time pay attention to fine detail loved working with people a very diverse place to work met people from around the world.
Pros
Meet people from all over the world
contract worker
Insured third party contractor compliance (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MADecember 12, 2017
overall great job, except for part of the year you were laid off due to weather.great team and great way to gain knowledge of city infastrucure. pays alright and otherwise a great place to work
Pros
working outside in summer
Cons
no steady work all year long
Good Place To Work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2017
This is a great place to work. Good people, great benefits, and lots of room to move around. The City is constantly changing and with that comes lots of room to be creative and to fulfill personal goals. There are so many opportunities to find your place and to potentially be involved in the creative processes that leads to the solutions that affect everyone
Nice place to work
Office Manager - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 14, 2017
I enjoy my current position, unfortunately; there is no room for growth within my department and it is extremely difficult to get an interview much less a new position.
Pros
Hours, benefits
Cons
No room for growth
Rewarding job, gives you the chance to make a difference.
Volunteer EMT and Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2017
It was a very stressful job being an EMT, sometimes you did 16 hour shifts, sometimes you did 24's sometimes you did 48's. A lot of guys I know just worked a 48 hour shift a week and took the rest of the week off. But most weeks were 70+ hours regularly. I loved the job but the pay was not worth the stresses that come with the job.
Pros
Benefits, Good empolyees, Plenty of work.
Cons
Very long hours, lack of sleep, Very stressfull position.
Registry division
Principal Clerk (Vitals/Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 20, 2017
It is a place where you can start a job that will help you grow. The only thing is to get into city hall or to get a job here you would have to know someone higher up.
Pros
Breaks, Hours, Holidays
Cons
Getting time off depending on manager
working in the elections department was annoying
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2017
to much favoritism going on with the managers and supervisors.
lots of non-heatlthy relationships between workers.
not enough space in vans when on route
Pros
breaks
Cons
walking all over the city in every neighborhood
Good Work Place Excellent Teaching facilities
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Latin SchoolAugust 10, 2017
Enjoyed working with students. Very rewarding when students grasped what you were teaching.Even the day was shorter than 8 hours, the job was very exhausting if you did you job well..
Pros
Short day
Cons
Short breaks
Great
Seasonal Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2017
Great environment to work. Helped many children stay off the street during summer vacation by giving them somewhere to cool off. City workers get compensated well.
experices at work
Principal Store Keeper (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, MAJuly 15, 2017
Very laid back but at the same time can be very stressful. good benifits , Job security everybody helps each other out. just a good places to work but it time for a change.
Pros
flexiable
Cons
same thing everyday
Okay
PT Café Attendant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 13, 2017
this job is okay for those who do not speak english and do not mid a lot of work for little money good mfor second job need second job for summer do not get paid for the summer only school year
Pros
good for second job
Cons
no support no help little pay
so-so employment
Paris Street Gym. Building Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2017
While a great staff to work with, and pay is fair, there is no room at all for advancement. Whether you perform your job with utmost excellence, or mail it in, the results are the same.
Pros
relaxed atmoshere
Cons
no advancement
BS & Politics will catch up to You Eventually
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2017
A great place to get good benefits and learn your trade wile you attempt to transition into something that actually allows you to be progressive with implimentations.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible Management... Politics
PeopleSoft Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2017
In our inclusive culture, everyone has opportunities for growth and development. We know that leveraging the diverse cultures, backgrounds, and experiences of our colleagues improves work quality, fosters innovation, and enhances results.
Pros
Great palce to work
Cons
No cons
Opportunity was a great experience
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 15, 2017
I used to walk the streets of Boston tagging cars that are in volition of the registration, and meters. My time on the job was very interesting and I enjoyed it.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Health Care