City of Carlsbad, CA Employee Reviews

Lifeguard Job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 30, 2018
Honestly I got exactly what I expected as a Lifeguard. The management was amazing, but you had to be 18 to even be eligible for a promotion, and its still not likely to happen. It was very slow paced, almost no rescues. Also I wasn't a huge fan of the new management staff that took over when I left.
My boss, great, upper management are micromanagers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMJuly 24, 2018
Lots of lazy workers, union and upper management protects them, makes it harder on those who do work. Great pay, insurance is very high. Great retirement. Lazy workers always calling in sick or vacation every friday
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Lazy workers
Fun place to work. Great environment and they love to promote from within
Front Desk Aide (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 7, 2018
Great place to work. Love my coworkers and supervisors. Very caring environment and well run. Would definitely recommend. Free benefits for full time positions.
Not a bad job.
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMJune 21, 2018
Watch out for clans in department’s going up to very high levels such as foreman’s. Very political place to work. Some personal spend more time playing politics than doing the assigned work.
I work by myself while teaching gymnastics
Owner operator/head coach First Step Gymnastics (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 10, 2018
I am an independent contractor so this does not apply to me. I run there gymnastics program for the city of Carlsbad. I have ran this program for the last 10 years.
Average Government Agency
Public Works Employee (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad. CAMarch 10, 2018
My experience was negative but some employees are happy depending on the department. I noticed that pay is low in relation to expectations, politics are primary, employees have low morale, and there are absurdly high employee turn over rates. There's a beach though!
Fun place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 6, 2018
I absolutely enjoyed every part of this job. I learned so much at this job. Management was very relaxed and calm. I loved the workplace culture. I had so much fun working there. The hardest part of the job was the end of my assignment there. The most enjoyable part of the job was the data entry and the work environment. I loved the staff and had a great time on the field.
Pros
Excellent work environment. very positive
Cons
Having to leave the assignment
Great
IT Audio Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Best job I ever had. I would recumbent it to any one who want's to work at the city of Carlsbad. I can-not say enough good things about the people the culture.
Outstanding
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 26, 2017
The city of Carlsbad is a great place to work. I worked as a police officer for 9 years and enjoyed my time with the department. The management staff is supportive and the work environment is challenging but in a positive way.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Risks of being a police officer
Laborer
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMNovember 8, 2017
Long Hours not very good pay
need to take better care of employees
not very good training
need more people to work, short handed all times
better trainining
Great
Environmental Management Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 20, 2017
A good culture to be a part of. Like any other position within any governmental agency, there is competition which makes it difficult to advance even with the essential skills. A great environment of staff.
Not much to tell.
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMAugust 28, 2017
The seasonal job I worked didn't involve much of the rest of the city management, though the job was average in most respects. The job lasted only 6 months and I interacted with only one manager.
Work hard
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAAugust 10, 2017
You can expect to work extremely hard. It's a grind. Don't expect to get extra help from anyone because everyone is so overworked. Management is strict about adding additional staff.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
inadequate management
Department manager too demanding
Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMJuly 24, 2017
Nothing good to say. I should not be forced to comment on a previous employer. The department manager was to demanding and a control fanatic. She had to be in total control.
Great benifits, room for advancement, professional atmosphere
Police Officer/Detective (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 7, 2017
Worked twelve hour shifts, learned great communications skills, professionalism. Management changed often with knew ideas. The hardest part of the job was dealing with violent offenders and the most enjoyable part of the job was the overall job satisfaction knowing your making a difference in the community.
Pros
Concept of teamwork.
Cons
Occassional violence.
Good Job
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 22, 2017
I found my time at the city of Carlsbad to be a good use my time and experience. I would recommend this job to anyone looking to learn new skills and advance.
Different Departments operate Differently
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 19, 2017
IT is a small group of people (<20) with a great team to be a part of. They do monthly outings and are great people to work with. Sometimes tasks are not clear and building trust relationships is extremely difficult. Everything is a competition while also a learning experience.
Pros
Great People, Monthly Outings, and Great Work Environment
Fun Place to work
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 1, 2017
Typical city position with the benefits and drawbacks associated with city employees and the opportunities for advancement or development. Carlsbad is a great scity
Only left for better pay
Patrol Corporal (Shift Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMMay 29, 2017
Good department with decent pay and benefits. As with any department, politics get tiresome and management changes frequently. Only left for better pay in a different industry.
Dedicated employee, friendly, team player, helpful
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 3, 2017
setting up rooms for classes/events, moving tables, chairs and other materials from assembly rooms to storage,office assistance, troubleshooting computers, troubleshooting equipment for repairs, helping other city related buildings with events when needed, and keeping a watch on the grounds for anyone suspicious and to report them when needed.
Pros
getting to help seniors
Cons
no health care