City of Charleston Employee Reviews

easy job, managment and pay suck
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 21, 2018
jobs not bad, trash is very labor intensive and your always making up slack for other people because no one comes to work. high turnover rate but the management and pay make it almost not worth working
Pros
down time
Cons
management, pay, no one comes to work always short staffed
Some very good people but cons outweigh the pros
HELP DESK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 3, 2018
Poor communications within the various IT Departments, somewhat cliquish. Promises of additional training and advancement are made but are seldom offered.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Recreation leader (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 29, 2018
Working for the City of Charleston was the best decision I ever made. I enjoyed everyday and I got to work with children which was a plus. My managers were amazing people and I would recommend the job to anyone who loves children and likes having fun.
It was working as a lifeguard at a pool. Not mucht to say.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 9, 2018
It was fine for a summer job. There were no serious disturbances or issues. Some immature lifeguards would act silly but our manager was good so it was fine.
Fun place to work.
Charleston (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 20, 2018
A typical day of work for me was to arrive at the office at 6:53, and head on the route. It was easy work, and a fun environment to work in. I loved the crew, and the Bosses.
Pros
The people who worked there.
Cons
Noting.
Maintence
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 11, 2018
Good place to work . Good friendly people. Based off of the speed you are comfortable with. Pay period was every 2 weeks. Over all very good experiences with the city of Charleston
greatlearning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 26, 2018
This was my first job out of college. Everyone was helpful and I learned a lot about the city government. I also learned how to plan and organize daily employees schedules, work with the community and valuable lesson of Responsibly .
Challenging and competitive
Mayor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, MSFebruary 19, 2018
The City of Charleston has given me an opportunity to advance my skills and education . My 14 years experience in local government has allowed me to face challenges and growth in my Interpersonal ability.
Working the historical district of Charleston was inspirational, educational, and a wonderful opportunity.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 12, 2018
Learning the History of such an awesome and beautiful city provided an education that was not expected. Interacting with residents and tourists from around the world was a positive and productive experience. Walking 9-11 miles per day enforcing parking regulations was another story, rarely negative.
Pros
Great exercise program.
Cons
Humidity!
Great Place to work
Human Resource Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 9, 2018
The city of Charles is like a big family, everyday is not happy but the team truly cares about your success. That place puts the TEAM in team. I wish I could have taken the job with me.
Pros
Great lunch breaks, Caring Supervisor
Cons

Want to know more about City of Charleston?

Ask a question
Overall
Parking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time with the City of Charleston but HR had to place me else where for reasons not divulged to me. I had excellent work relationships with those around me and I had mostly good days duing my time with the city. The job would be stressful when customer would be irate but they were always handled with professionalism and understanding and was usually resolved.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Angry Customers
Alright
Parking Attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 14, 2018
A typical work day consists of collecting money from people who stayed in the garage that day and adding totals on paperwork and submitting them to the boss
Pros
Free drinks at movie theater
Cons
Working anywhere other than movie theater
great place to work
Dir of Planning (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 17, 2017
Mayor Riley is wonderful! The City of Charleston provides a number of fabulous benefits including health insurance, paid time off, and 401k program as well.
Great Place Too work...
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  milford street charleston,scOctober 17, 2017
this is agreat place to work,you interact with the public and clean our streets of the down town Charleston.We are as if family,of course all jobs has there did like but with the group I worked with we all got along
Pros
we had dinners and activities for the family offered
Law Enforcement In General
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 16, 2017
CPD has it faults, but overall the career as a whole is failing. Its high stress, low pay and every organization including CPD is eager to appease public opinion by throwing its own officers under the proverbial bus.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
lack of advancement opportunity
Loved it
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 16, 2017
Worked for PD issuing tickets. It was that simple, but people these days are crazy, so proceed with caution! Good way to get your foot in the door to the police force.
Not any Stress
Building Inspector, Multi-Discipline (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2017
Not any Stress
Friendly Working Conditions
Fair Pay
Good Benefits
Los of Holiday
State Retirement
As the City is expanding the work load in increasing
good stable
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 5, 2017
Working for the city is solid and stable. pay doesn't always represent work, however pay and other benefits are worth it. able to move to other departments as well
The greatest
Temporary Worker (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 7, 2017
I'll work for the city of charleston anytime of day manager good to get along with the staff is good people the show me things that I did not know we go to different area to pick up trash
Pros
good people
Cons
n/a
ok work place
Senior Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 3, 2017
The pay for this job is way too low for the amount of revenue our department brings into the city. Parking enforcement is the leading revenue earning department and is paid less than simple tourism officer.
Cons
verbal abuse from the citizens, lack of advancement and pay.