City of Charlotte Employee Reviews

Contract Employee. Nice people to work with.
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2018
This was a two month contract position. The people were great to work for and very helpful if you had questions. I would work there full time if given the opportunity.
My supervisor made it great
Property Control Technician - CMPD (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 11, 2018
CMPD was a pretty great place to work overall. We met as strangers but, most of us became like family. We looked out for each other and most didn't mind lending a helping hand.
Pros
Less workers in the building
Cons
heavier workload
Nice place to work hard to move up
Conveyor/Loading Bridge Tech (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 30, 2018
It was a good place to work with great benefits. hard to move up. the culture and atmosphere were great. always had a team to work on the equipment with, so finding help was never an issue.
Great place to start
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 25, 2018
Great place to get started. Hard place to gain valid experience for growth and actually move up within the division. If you are ok with being content and not developing self growth it will be a great fit.
Great Place to Work
Tree Maintenance Operations Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 24, 2018
Great government entity to work for and overall care about their employees. With one of the fastest city within the country, great job security. Highly recommended.
Government Positions
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 16, 2018
City Government consisting of diverse employees. Not a lot of growth potential. Job descriptions are all identical but all employees not graded equal when time for promotion. .
Pros
People easy to work with
Cons
salaries
Always learning
Zoning Officer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 11, 2018
Working with the City of Charlotte is a every learning experience. The city is growing and things are always changing such as laws, buildings and communities. I love meeting new people and talking to people in the community about Charlotte growth and potential. Hardest part when i have to tell a customer that something can not be done. I work with a very knowledgeable group of people who help get things done.
Pros
excellent training opportunities
Cons
no real cons.
Productive environment and business of work
Residential sanitation collection dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 5, 2018
A job where you see what you contribute to your city and residents. a team oriented base of work and a career where there are plenty of advancement. Weather is a factor!
benefits
Cons
weather
City of Charlotte
Administrative Assistant V, City of Charlotte, NC (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 4, 2018
Upper management are great. Middle to lower management leaves a lot to be desired. Middle to lower management ALL seem to have a chip on their shoulders. I have seen a huge difference in the way people are treated with the same offense. If you are a favorite, you are golden. If not, you will be reprimanded. Not a difficult job.
Pros
vacation and personal/sick time. Christmas gifts from department
Cons
Middle to lower management. Favortism.
Fast paced
Paratransit Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 21, 2018
Very fast paced.
100% customer engagement at all times.
Customer service resolution to concerns.
Training and customer service us a most have skill.

Want to know more about City of Charlotte?

Ask a question
Police Officer
CMPD (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2018
Being a Police Officer is a hard and stressful job in any large city. I have been through 4 Chief's through my career and the culture has changed with each one. I will say that the brotherhood is no longer at this department and the heart and soul of its beat cops have been ripped away with Rodney Monroe. The new command is not any better and the Internal affairs unit have no problem firing good officers over citizen complaints. However, the money is good and the average officer can make a decent living as long as they are careful and document every interaction with their supervisors as well as the public. It is hard for white males as they are no longer a fit in the diversity program and are the last to get promoted. Which is a benefit for minorities such as myself that can get promoted much quicker than another department this size. They have also taken a very relaxed stance on crime and have tried to compensate with fighting crime with technology rather than using patrol officers or detectives to solve complex cases. The gear you are issued is fantastic and the top of the line. New hires do not get any retirement benefits and are no longer receiving a 401K or retirement medical. I would not recommend this job as a career to anyone just starting out but a great stepping stone to go into a federal branch.
Pros
Free Starbucks coffee and chick flea
Cons
Job security
Great place to work.
Equipment Operator II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 13, 2018
Great place to work. Excellent benefits. Opportunity for advancement. Enjoyable people to work with. Guarantee 40 hours a week even when it is raining. Unlike my last 2 jobs when it rain we didn't work.
Great Place to Work
Charlotte Water / Administrative Officer I (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2018
City of Charlotte in a whole is a great place to work. They care about their employees and you're able to learn along the way to advance. The employees are great as well as our external customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping my customers; internal and external.
Its the city
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 25, 2017
Its a good place to work. Benefits are great. Real hard work during the winter and fall. Tons of residential yard waste collections. Management wasn't the best thing.
City of Charlotte
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 15, 2017
People are passionate about serving the community. As with any large city there are challenges and opportunities to improve, but nothing is allowed to get in the way of serving the customer.
Pressure...
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2017
Working day to day that you are being micro manage is uncomfortable. Pay just raise to hiring rate, and the new system causes a lot of redundancy of work.
Management good to work with
Aviation Invoice Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2017
I learned a lot since I work here in aviation. The atmosphere is just like one big family. A good place to work, supervisors offers the opportunity for you to learn and grow.
great work experience
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  601 E Trade STreetDecember 3, 2017
the job is not very hard, but very stressful.. you learn a lot of about the citizens.. you do get some self gratification from helping others in time of need
Decent place to work
Retirement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 28, 2017
Extremely competitive with the City of Charlotte. It's all about who you know...you can always tell who the "favorites" are. Day to day work keeps you busy for most of the day, which is a great thing.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Too much politics/favoritism
Job Security
Police Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 17, 2017
I never feared being laid off or losing my job. The organization accommodated me where they could with life outside of the job. I enjoyed working there.