City of Chesapeake

City of Chesapeake Employee Reviews

United States113 reviews
Great city with above average benefits. Pay is lower than others but the benefits compensate. As you would expect in any local government there can be lots of bureaucracy and red tape. Lower management is progressive and personal while upper management can be somewhat disconnected and stagnate.
Employees were micromanaged to the extent they had to leave a note on their computer telling the world they had gone to the restroom. Not allowed to be seen talking to each other. Not allowed to answer any emails unless your supervisor was copied on it. Not allowed to voice your opinion if it wasn't what management thought.
Pro
s: Hours

Cons: they really don't care and only think of themselves and what they can get out of the situation and not their workers and they don't listen 2 the employees ideas one person said you going to do as we say and not what your description say the city that cares that's a joke
Horrible working conditions, unbelievably terrible management. The treasurer is difficult to work for to say the least. That attitude resonates through management. By far the worst place I have ever worked.
You are being watched at all times. Very stressful environment. I enjoy working with the field employees. The office Shows a lot of favortism. I really enjoy interacting with my co-workers and the public.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
My experiences with city of chesapeake was amazing. The city it self was very help with finding job and a place to live. The citizens chesapeake was pleasant and very help in find you job.
NoTHING TO SAY, Organization is minimal, they dont spend money on neccesary equipment OR ITS WORKERS IN THE FIELD, and If you wanna be on a plantation, go ahead.
Pros
Na
Cons
Don't
No immediate supervisors. You can work independently. Make your own hours. Staff always willing to help if you need it. Room for advancement is a plus
My job as a police officer was very rewarding. I started out as a patrol officer and then later achieved my career goal of becoming a detective. I was a detective for 12 years and made the decision to become a supervisor so that I could impart my experience on other, junior officers.
Workplace culture great; Typical day was short but fulfilling. Those who were part of my service were very amiable and thankful! All necessary uniforms provide from head to toe, for all weather conditions. Communications by supervisor was excellent.
This position posted was formerly my position at the facility associated with the main building, so I'm able to speak from experience. The job requirements, the individuals, and even the schedule aren't major issues. The obstacle that makes this job stress, unpleasant, and continuing to have a high turnover rate with nurses is poor management. Management talking over one another, belittling staff, forgetting to report important facts involving individuals, rudeness, and the list can go on and on negatively. This post is not to deter, but to prepare anyone thinking about accepting this position.
Provided front desk operations, using the register at an advanced level for problems that needed emergency assistance as well as any assistance.
Writing incident, comment, and complaint reports along with evaluating information for intake allowed me to create a very safe and professional environment.

Constantly collaborated with superior management by reporting gathered information.

Improved the guest service department by suggesting a problem solving anaylsis which later increased the scores of the department.

Respected the confidential nature of privacy and information.It was a very fast paced job. Very professional and yo
This is a place to work if only you need a job and/or health insurance. The departments are very biased in terms of gender and ethnic background. Management make up their own rules that do not match actual city policy. Human Resources is absolutely useless and incompetent. There are multiple lawsuits against the City of Chesapeake because of this. Also, the pay does not match the cost of living for the area.
Pros
Health insurance, paid time off
Cons
Management is incompetent, equal opportunity does not exist
This was a fairly unique place to work. The people were pleasant and so were the customers. There was so much I learned and they give a lot of on the job training.
Alright job could pay more..co workers are cool. I enjoy the paid holidays off and what littles overtime becomes available. Management has its favorites and least favorites. Working with city of Chesapeake you will quickly find out what side of the line you are on with the supervisor
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay
this job was a very demanding one. labor intense but we made out and had fun with the crew i was on. the machines were limited so in that being said. you were the machine
A typical day at work we get calls and go to them to clear the sewer stoppage! We also open up manholes in the road to make sure they are flowing well!
What I can appreciate about working with the city is the state holidays and compensation. Otherwise, it's not what you know but who you know that gets you advanced there.
Its a pretty laid back job, I talk to customers all day when they are calling about their benefits. The management is okay but they don't make you feel appreciated. A lot of the social workers do not like to answer their phones or call the customers back and it makes my job a little harder when I cannot reach them for the customer. Some of the workers are mean and rude for no reason at all.The most I like about the job is, the paid holidays we get off. It would be nice if they paid more money.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
Low pay, lazy employees
Highly political environment. Many times engineering judgement is over-ridden by politics. Average less than 3% increases in past 10 years. Insurance costs have risen approximately 10% annually over past 10 years. Gives unfair advantage to outside candidates who are able and encouraged to negotiate salaries while promotion from within must follow strict protocol.
8hr Day with zero stress.
Extremely low pay.

Management is great to work for from what I have seen. Hard to learn to slow down from working in the field.