City of Chesapeake Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good place to work at but no advancement
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  1001 Riverwalk pwayJuly 16, 2018
Good place to work but no advancement. Been working for City of Chesapeake for 8 years.Have applied for full time 18 times and never got an interview.
Pros
Working with the community
Cons
no advancement
Hard work
Storm Water Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 26, 2018
You have to be willing to work if you pursue this job. therer are no machines because you are the machine. if you arent willing to work, storm water is not for you
Poor Management
Chesapeake (Former Employee) –  ChesapeakeMay 30, 2018
City of Chesapeake has numerous complacent managers working within that are not willing to innovate to create a better work environment.
Wages are far below local living standards and the City does not execute wages.
bus driver
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 19, 2018
It is an ideal job for people who are looking for extra time for family. If you have children you are able to take them with you. Fantastic benefits. Most employees work appx 25 hours per week. 2 & 1/2 in the morning and 2 & 1/2 in the afternoon. There are extra runs, like kindergarten runs that give you extra hours, so it is very easy to get 35 to 40 hours per week.
Pros
No daycare expenses
Cons
Can be a little chaotic.
great atomsphere great job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 20, 2018
great mornings meetings good management staff
breaks on time no hassle
fast pace work environment great learning expereince
met people n interacted
travel to different areas
Pros
oppurtunity moving up
Cons
lay offs
No Human Resources or EEO
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 4, 2018
Complaint process is lacking and human resources is only there to reinforce city management.

City management targets employees and merit increases are awarded not on talent and skills but on a policy of favoritism.

Don't work here unless you like documenting every interaction with management and when you complain to Human Resources its a waste of time.
n/a
Benefit Programs Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 2, 2018
Interviews customer and conducts assessment of eligibility for services; explains available programs and services; assists with completion of application process
Provides direct services for emergency/short term needs; locates and coordinates community resources and makes referrals to community agencies.Dictates narrative of case; completes computer forms to establish case on various computer systems; analyzes available information and determines and recommends client eligibility.
Interacts and coordinates with employers and outside professional agencies, such as medical facilities, court services, lawyers, schools, and funeral homes, to provide services for client.
Overall a good place to work.
Office Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 26, 2018
Overall a good place to work. Advancement opportunities, cheaper insurance, better hours and schedule flexibility were my main concerns when I switched from my previous jobs.The City of Chesapeake promotes wellness and is always looking for ways to make things better for its employees.
Busy place.
Maintenance Production Worker, (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 26, 2018
Work daily on maintaining pumps in all spaces, and updating safety equipment. Cleaning equipment, servicing chemical rooms and assisting other employees on group projects. Check all chemical tanks for leaks and keep all spaces clean.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Lack of empoyees.
Driver to school
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 4, 2018
City of Chesapeake is not a bad place to work with not the rapper education it lead to a very low paying job as driving a school bus .. and with everything we are responsible for I believe any driver Deserves a high pay salary
Pros
The hours aren’t bad able to have your personal children with you at work
Cons
Wouldnt be so bad if you got paid a lot more
A Great Job, Run by Less than Great People
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 13, 2018
The job, the work, the involvement, and the fulfillment to the city were all the absolute best aspects of my job. I however did not feel that at any time my supervisors had the community or their employees interest in their mindset. There was more focus on protecting themselves in all situations possible. I felt this resulted in poor management, and poor goal achievement.
Pros
Work, the co-workers, sense of accomplishment
Cons
Poor management, lack of good disability coverage, long hours, understaffed.
Police Officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 5, 2018
City of Chesapeake is a great place to work for. Good pay, great benefits a lot of time off. If your looking for a job in law enforcement I highly recommend this company.
Productive and safety in the workplace
Construction Inspector II (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 15, 2018
friendly employees get along well, co-workers are willing to help others no matter what the job consist of, have on the job training workplace is safe number 1 concern is safety of the employees
benefits
Cons
pay
Stable employment
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 8, 2018
Stable employment with benefits. Some room for advancement within the certain departments. Relaxed work environment most of the time. Management has some room for improvement.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Wages
work review
Rec Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 26, 2017
I am very pleased with my job at the city of Chesapeake . Its a flexible schedule. Working with the kids is a great and very enjoyable. Love each sports.
Team
Benefits Program Worker I (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 8, 2017
Everyone is working on or in a team to get the job done . Some people in the team work harder than others . Some people on the team who are at a III level , don't know all of the ends and outs of their job or the team job .
Benefits
Cons
Not paid as well as Virginia Beach City Workers
Poor management at Parks and Rec
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Parks RecreationSeptember 22, 2017
What was good? The work, public and coworkers. The bad? Upper management was degrading to employees, unsupportive, and I suspect worse. No potential for advancement.
Pros
Coworkers and public service
Cons
Management, no advancement potential, etc.
This is a good, steady job
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 21, 2017
This is a really good job, but the pay is low compared to other cities. There is room for advancement and I am happy, but if another offer of better pay came along, I would consider it.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
Low pay
Supervisor is Fair
Office Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Cheapside, VASeptember 20, 2017
I started out with the City as an Office Specialist 1 with Public Works Traffic Engineering processing hauling permits, grid search, grid filing, reading maps etc. Became overwhelming due to supervision. I since moved to another part of Public Works with Municipal Facilities Maintenance/Construction, still as an OS 1 but with my skills have found they are needed but not as much as I would like to use my skills especially in Microsoft Office. I tend to help our (Public Works) accounting department often as needed. Also have assisted the City Attorney office, Purchasing and Development and Permits. There is no room for advancement in my position here with the City which is why I am diligently searching for employment again with NOB as a Clerk Typist or somewhere as an Administrative Assistant. My skill set is more than what my current position I hold here is worth which is the hardest part of my job, not having enough to do and failed promises. The good thing about this job is they take family very serious. If any problem arise with my family, my supervisor has absolutely NO problem with giving me the time off to take care of it.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
reprimanded for somethings that are out of my control
Work
FAPT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 17, 2017
Most of my work day consisted of paperwork. Workplace culture was great for the most part. Hardest part of the job was not being able to provide ideas and opinions that were valued to make things more efficient. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help families.