City of Chicago, IL Employee Reviews

Worked with great people
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2019
While I was working for the City of Chicago I had the opportunity to meet and work with some great people. My time there, although it was short, was enjoyable.
Pros
Worked with great people
Cons
Ended too soon
Fast paced but great experience.
Project Assistant - Worker's Compensation (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2019
A typical day at work is fast paced, a little hectic and stressful, but the coworkers are phenomenal, the experience you get in working with Microsoft office and various other programs.
This place has gone downhill, city of Chicago department of health
Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2019
This place used t be structured and reputable, this is not true today. You have tons of lazy staff protected by AFSCME local 505. Its corrupt and they embrace poor performance. Many individuals working as PHA-2 and PHA 3 are doing a whole lot of nothing!!! Walking around and socializing. Management is pathetic! Theres a new breed of staff, they are prejudiced and very cliquey. You may succeed if you are LGBTQ or brown nose. Steer away!!!Lori Lightfoot needs to crack her whip!!
Benefits
Cons
You may die working here! Seriously
It was a job
Information Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2019
A typical day involves attempting to do your job despite many obstacles being placed in your way. I have learned much from this employer, and believe it is the kind of place to get started as a professional.
Get to drive lot of different types of equipment
Motor Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2019
Very busy snow work very unique job to be able to drive on onto the airfield. Tow different cars. Drive street sweepers. Drive tractors to cut grass out on the airfield.
A fun environment, we helped many of the underprivileged in Chicago
Clerk IV/Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60624May 9, 2019
Working with the City of Chicago was a fun job; I truly enjoyed my work responsibilities, my fellow co-workers and the management staff within the department I worked. If I had not been laid off (twice) I would have hoped to end my working days with the City of Chicago. Unfortunately it did not work out that way. I have since moved on to Texas and a new full time job.
Pros
a very easy supervisor to work for, good equipment to work with, outstanding benefits
Nice
Call Center - Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2019
Great place to work. Lots of work and rotating days off.
phone operator, hardest part of job, screaming callers most enjoyable part of job the nice callers
Not applicable
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2019
The City of Chicago....well, just google it. I'm quite sure that one can imagine what it is like to work for the city. It has it's challenges and it's rewards.
Pros
pay was generous
Cons
your soul will be gone foreve
Intern for Planning and Development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2019
You will get along with most of your co-workers, most people are really helpful, a few egos, but most people are really collaborative. In City Hall there is a lot of room for advancment.
Decent workplace with open workplace
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2019
Typical day at work looks like easy paced. I was working with a team member and we had enough private work space to work and plan out our projects. So i would say the work space is open and very friendly.
Career Longevity
Resident Service Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2019
The work environment could be hire pressure and stressful depending on the department, but offered longevity, career skills and employment opportunities.
Pros
Benefits, career opportunities experience and unions
Cons
Advancement difficult and political involvement
City of Chicago
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
A typical day at work is usually busy, yet stress free. As long as we take care of work the rest will take care of itself. I learned as a supervisor and through some upper management, that if you let your workers work and not micro-management you will receive better results and growth from their work ethic.

The work culture, is not too stressful. Some branches of the City of Chicago are more family oriented than the others, some are just to the letter, didn't come to work to make friends or associates, they just came to work and left it at that. Working the job in a not so stressful environment makes the job a little more easier. If I had to pick the hardest part of a job, I would say that it would be fixing other peoples mistakes. Other than that, the job is not super hard at all.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers/employees walk away happy, because their issue was resolved.
Pros
Great compensation for cost of living, and under right management sections flow smoothly
Cons
Health care/benefit packages could be better, retirement packages should be better, Health care after retirement
Productive and fun work place.
Street Opetations Booter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2019
I had more good times than bad times. Over the most recent years the crime and activity surrounded booting has definitely increased, but it's a good job to do.
Pros
Assistance by CPD when needed.
Cons
Crime
Poor management
Traffic Control Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2019
My supervisor assaulted me. The environment is uncomfortable made that way management. Some people do no work st all while others do everything and nothing is done. The work culture is non existent. People gossip and spread rumors. You're also made to send a letter to the office for missed day's complaints etc, nothing is done about any complaints.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Favoritism and lack of respect
was a good place to workfor
Payroll Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  O'hare International Airport, ILMarch 27, 2019
I was a payroll clerk. I was responsible for the bimonthly payroll for approximately 400 employees. I tallied all times and submitted it for payment.
Pros
good work environment
very stressful
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2019
Lots of heavy lifting extreme weather conditions long hours always out in harsh environments working in darkness sometimes animals attacking you un for seen situations
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Very Productive Day.
General Services Sanitation Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2019
I enjoyed working with City of Chicago because it was always a very productive day. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I loved helping the customers the most.
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2019
A fast pace work environment. Salary is adequate and generally a good place to work. Great people to work with and opportunity to learn and grow. certainly recommend job
Everything Depends on Your Supervisors/Department Heads
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2019
Some departments are well-managed and workers treated fairly and justly. Others have tyrants who care only about numbers/money and treat their employees as nothing more than cogs in a machine.
Good place to grow
Assistant Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2019
The City can provide a good environment to learn various skills and grow in varying areas, depending on the title and nature of your assignment. The City has flexibility in job assignments, if they are not union positions.
Pros
Benefits, variety in work
Cons
Administrations vary