City of Chicago Employee Reviews

great working environment
6th District Desk Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2018
reviewing paperwork insuring completeness of reports. I've learned that politics plays a great when working with the city. Management is not necessarily there for their ability to perform their job but rather who you know. Everyone looks out for themselves and the groups they may belong to. What's in it for me mentality co-exist with looking out for me first. Its not a hard job working for the city.
Most enjoyable aspect was the pay and benefits.
Pros
pay, benefits security of the job
Cons
difficulty in promotion
Great pay for position because no one will pay you this to do secretary work or give you great benefits like they do .
Chicago IL Sanitation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2018
Don't get me wrong the job is a great one but you have some management that are not professional and apparently don't believe that you have to give respect in order to receive it , But i would recommend this job to people it is a great way to take of your family , the work is not rocket science and you have some great people here that truly want to see you succeed and allow you to learn new things.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
unfairness
Good paying profession
Motor Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Great benefits paid vacation pension plan medical dental and life insurance benefits holidays off no weekend work overtime if the city has a emergency
It was a fun work place great enviroment and learnig experience.
Event Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2018
It was a great and new experience I met people from other countries that had amazing stories to tell I like working with my co-workers i got the chance to meet the mayor but overall it was great learning experience for me.
Landscape Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2018
Unless you know the right people,you won’t get far. You have to stay to yourself because everybody isn’t your friend ! Everyone is trying to make it to the top so just stay to yourself
Lazy weather
OFFICE OF THE CITY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2018
Had a great experience to work there but not potiential to wotk there forever. Therefore had to move on to search for a new work adventure. However got an excellent experience.
Challenging
District Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
Overwhelming, poorly ran, not organized well enough, insufficient managers, poorly trained, can sometimes be a playground for managers, who pick sides
Patronage Laden
Auditor III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Mission is to facilitate the replacement of working class people with the entitled elite. The City is an unfair workplace that breeds sexism, racism, classism and apathy.
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2018
City jobs are hard to come by and i am very grateful i was able to obtain one and keep one for so many years. It is stressful yet rewarding and satisfying at the same time.
Public Sector Employment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
The particular employer is similar to other government agencies. There isn't really any difference. I've learned an immeasurable amount of work related items while being employed with a city agency.

Want to know more about City of Chicago?

Ask a question
Smooth job
Air Traffic Control Helper (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2018
Wonderful i got the job an was on my way easy to do an uniforms was up yo par we ride the public transportation for free to and from work only nice brakes ..
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2018
Productive and good opportunity. "You are in be prepared to work all days of the week to meet the quota, work life balance is difficult if you land in the wrong dept"
Rigid and not fun.
Senior Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
I did not enjoy my time at City of Chicago. Nepotism runs rampant. Many of the managers, all of whom had previous family members who retired from the City of Chicago, were not helpful.
Pros
Training
Cons
Nepotism
This was a up and down industry.
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
I will never forget this experience working at the Board of Trade in Chicago. The history of the Board alone is epic and worth reflecting, not to mention the Federal Reserve next door burning old currency Wednesdays of the month, you can smell the ink as it pours out the chimney. My responsibilities changes daily but answering the 150 line Rholm Meridian switchboard was what I excelled at. You had to know who was in the house (employees) everyday and when they would leave to dispatch the calls coming in from clients so trades would not be missed. Later as the company expanded, I had a more security sensitive involved position. Processing end of day currency and bonds plus receipts, coming from the trading floor that had to be brought back to the officers for next morning activity.
Pros
Great if market was up.
Cons
Bad if the market went down.
Excelente
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
No more words to says is awesome good environment of worker and also nice place quiet, need to respect you’re working place that’s one of the most important things
Pros
No pro
Cons
Only are sesonal
Chicago Police Officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2018
Police work has changed immensely. I would think deeply if you are passionate for the field. If not, a career in law enforcement might not be the best option for you.
Secure with Unions
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 6, 2018
Great wonderful amazing fantastic sometimes food lots of people working, spreads out work makes it easy to do and get done great amazing wonderful fantastic
City of Chicago
Constituent Svcs.Mgr., 15th Ward Aldermanic Office (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2018
A multitude of City Departments, a good experience if you get hired.
Great job if you can get it. Be on time and do what is expected of you and you won't have any problems.
Productive work place
Booter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
Enjoyed my employment time there. I've uncounted numerous people in numerous situations over my career that most people would've quit within the first year. I built a excellent working relationship with the Chicago Police Department and learned alot of things that i will never forget.
Very productive
Administrative Asst.III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
A great place to work and retired from.You can learn more about how the government really works in the work industries.Working there was great and the work was very pacefull.