City of Chicago Employee Reviews

Patronage Laden
Auditor III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Mission is to facilitate the replacement of working class people with the entitled elite. The City is an unfair workplace that breeds sexism, racism, classism and apathy.
Public Sector Employment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2018
The particular employer is similar to other government agencies. There isn't really any difference. I've learned an immeasurable amount of work related items while being employed with a city agency.
Smooth job
Air Traffic Control Helper (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2018
Wonderful i got the job an was on my way easy to do an uniforms was up yo par we ride the public transportation for free to and from work only nice brakes ..
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2018
Productive and good opportunity. "You are in be prepared to work all days of the week to meet the quota, work life balance is difficult if you land in the wrong dept"
Rigid and not fun.
Senior Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
I did not enjoy my time at City of Chicago. Nepotism runs rampant. Many of the managers, all of whom had previous family members who retired from the City of Chicago, were not helpful.
Pros
Training
Cons
Nepotism
This was a up and down industry.
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
I will never forget this experience working at the Board of Trade in Chicago. The history of the Board alone is epic and worth reflecting, not to mention the Federal Reserve next door burning old currency Wednesdays of the month, you can smell the ink as it pours out the chimney. My responsibilities changes daily but answering the 150 line Rholm Meridian switchboard was what I excelled at. You had to know who was in the house (employees) everyday and when they would leave to dispatch the calls coming in from clients so trades would not be missed. Later as the company expanded, I had a more security sensitive involved position. Processing end of day currency and bonds plus receipts, coming from the trading floor that had to be brought back to the officers for next morning activity.
Pros
Great if market was up.
Cons
Bad if the market went down.
Excelente
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
No more words to says is awesome good environment of worker and also nice place quiet, need to respect you’re working place that’s one of the most important things
Pros
No pro
Cons
Only are sesonal
Chicago Police Officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2018
Police work has changed immensely. I would think deeply if you are passionate for the field. If not, a career in law enforcement might not be the best option for you.
Secure with Unions
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 6, 2018
Great wonderful amazing fantastic sometimes food lots of people working, spreads out work makes it easy to do and get done great amazing wonderful fantastic
City of Chicago
Constituent Svcs.Mgr., 15th Ward Aldermanic Office (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2018
A multitude of City Departments, a good experience if you get hired.
Great job if you can get it. Be on time and do what is expected of you and you won't have any problems.
Productive work place
Booter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
Enjoyed my employment time there. I've uncounted numerous people in numerous situations over my career that most people would've quit within the first year. I built a excellent working relationship with the Chicago Police Department and learned alot of things that i will never forget.
Very productive
Administrative Asst.III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
A great place to work and retired from.You can learn more about how the government really works in the work industries.Working there was great and the work was very pacefull.
Must work rain, sleet, snow, hot or cold.
Construction Laborer-Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2018
Loading and unloading material to install light poles and lights. cut and pouring concrete. Supervisor were excellent managers. hardest part, jack hammer.
I recommend them
Community Living Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
Working for the City is not for everyone. There's some good and bad managers... like everywhere else. Personally, I've had all good ones. My colleagues are great at my location.
Pros
job security
Cons
Sometimes the City can make you change locations without much notice
Great management experience
Special Assistant to the Mayor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 13, 2018
Good training as a young professional from others who cared about government and public service. Wide survey of issues when promoted to focus on 40 different departments and 300,000 employees.
Pros
Once in a lifetime exposure to senior management in government
Cons
Low pay
There are ways to move around
Police Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2018
The job that I was hired for is okay, but the salary is not what they initially told us. I mostly blame the union for this. The good thing about working for the city of Chicago is, you can move around.
Your time here is based on your ability to forge good relationships with your supervisor.
Sanitation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2018
The best thing to do to get ahead here is to show up, and do your job. If you try and make things better you will shine. Just do your best and if you can work well with others you will do well.
Pros
Good pay for education level. Great health insurance.
Cons
Hard to change job locations. Long commute on average.
productive and a good word puzzle
Intake Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2018
Stressful with citizens, politics will get you fired,mgmt is cut throat culture varies, trusting the faculty is the most hardest to trust, being paid.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
working over
summer programs
city of chicago summer programs (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2018
I learned a lot working for the city of chicago's summer program I met a lot of new and different people as well as had a chance to learn new things and ways of life of people that are from different backgrounds.
It was nice to be able to work
Street sanitation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
I work street opp and I was on the express cleaning crew and street of sanitation the trucks love to go to work the west ward and the ravens wood ward did the baskets on sunday
Pros
Only break when we got thirsty and maybe a snack some time