City of Chicago Employee Reviews

Red Signs
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Crossing gurd has its benefits and its downfalls. It isnt a job for young people with a family to support unless you have a second job that fits into a swing shift. There is no supervision unless your being watched by a pedestrian or a supervisor in a car. I enjoyed getting to know the families i crossed daily but i didnt enjoy being out in all weather conditions even for only an hour or two.
Pros
kids, short work period
Cons
little pay
Overall a good place to work
Police Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2019
Working or the City of Chicago has been a good experience for me. The benefits are good and affordable. The salary they pay for my job is good, as well. There are many departments and types of jobs for the City of Chicago. Once you are hired, you can bid on jobs whenever they become available, which is a good thing. I recommend working for the City to anyone.
Great learning environment
MOTOR TRUCK DRIBER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2019
Became proficient in the operation of a wide variety of vehicles and specialty equipment. Worked in multiple departments with a wide variety of equipment and duties
Typical Day
Committee on Finance, Legislative Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2019
My typical day consists of checking my email, returning calls, answering immediate questions and getting organized for the day. I typically do morning briefings for my COS and write an overview of tasks to be completed for the day.
Crosing Guard (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
Good company to work for non-stressful they send you through a training process they are informative. You get to meet some nice people along the way working for the city.
City Worker
City Monitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2019
I enjoyed this job. Went all over the city with this program. The pay was great and lots of freedom. Appreciated the city offering free meals to needy children.
Pros
Freedom, good pay, helping needy children
Cons
Some neighborhoods were a little scary
Productive and nice place to work
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2019
It is a good place to work. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow on the job. A typical day begins with completing an assignment (or assignments) from previous working day and or obtaining a new assignment (or assignments) from a supervisor.
Co-workers are generally friendly.
City of chicago
Police Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2018
our online candidate profile has information, and can be used to apply for multiple City positions without re-entering your information. When submitti
Summary
chicago (Current Employee) –  chicagoDecember 15, 2018
A job review is always challenging to write. In varies constantly. I feel that this company allowed me grow and challenged me in so many ways.

Although my job knowledge was limited in this area. By working and learning I became very proficient in my duties.
Its a job
TMA (Current Employee) –  CHICAGODecember 14, 2018
my department doesn't offer benefits for a job that involves employees to be in possibly dangerous situations.
The management is almost non existent and they talk down to you.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
everything else
Stationary Engineer
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2018
I work as a City of Chicago Local Union 399 Stationary Engineer on the night shift. Operate and maintain mechanical equipment, motors, 110psi high pressure boilers including but not limited to 3 phase fire tube generators, chemical test boilers and softener water, clean, oil repair pumps, read meters and gauges at specified intervals to verify operating conditions, record keeping and daily logs
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Night shift is rough
Interesting
Aviation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  O'hare International Airport, ILDecember 7, 2018
Very good job for young job seekers
The position could be an important opportunity for a young person seeking a career. There is room for advancement here.
great working environment
6th District Desk Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2018
reviewing paperwork insuring completeness of reports. I've learned that politics plays a great when working with the city. Management is not necessarily there for their ability to perform their job but rather who you know. Everyone looks out for themselves and the groups they may belong to. What's in it for me mentality co-exist with looking out for me first. Its not a hard job working for the city.
Most enjoyable aspect was the pay and benefits.
Pros
pay, benefits security of the job
Cons
difficulty in promotion
Great pay for position because no one will pay you this to do secretary work or give you great benefits like they do .
Chicago IL Sanitation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2018
Don't get me wrong the job is a great one but you have some management that are not professional and apparently don't believe that you have to give respect in order to receive it , But i would recommend this job to people it is a great way to take of your family , the work is not rocket science and you have some great people here that truly want to see you succeed and allow you to learn new things.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
unfairness
Good paying profession
Motor Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Great benefits paid vacation pension plan medical dental and life insurance benefits holidays off no weekend work overtime if the city has a emergency
It was a fun work place great enviroment and learnig experience.
Event Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2018
It was a great and new experience I met people from other countries that had amazing stories to tell I like working with my co-workers i got the chance to meet the mayor but overall it was great learning experience for me.
Landscape Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2018
Unless you know the right people,you won’t get far. You have to stay to yourself because everybody isn’t your friend ! Everyone is trying to make it to the top so just stay to yourself
Lazy weather
OFFICE OF THE CITY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2018
Had a great experience to work there but not potiential to wotk there forever. Therefore had to move on to search for a new work adventure. However got an excellent experience.
Challenging
District Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
Overwhelming, poorly ran, not organized well enough, insufficient managers, poorly trained, can sometimes be a playground for managers, who pick sides
Patronage Laden
Auditor III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Mission is to facilitate the replacement of working class people with the entitled elite. The City is an unfair workplace that breeds sexism, racism, classism and apathy.