City of Corpus Christi, TX Employee Reviews

Horrible Unethical Management
Customer Service Representative UBO (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 2, 2019
If you are hired as a temporary to hire employee, be aware that you are only temporary and the management( LB). Will ensure that you are aware of your temporary standing. You will be harassed and belittled by her as well as her assistant puppet (d)and other staff to gain her likeness. And god forbid you have a spunky personality or seem to be happy all the time they will find a way to bring your spirits down. They are very catty and gossipy about one another, and will use what they know against each other to impress management. The management (LB) has a mental breakdown at least once a week and I warn please steer clear of her path and the power trip she lives by. I would never recommend that department for employment ever in a lifetime.
Pros
Free lunch, 1hour lunches
Cons
Hours, management, humiliation, no training
Animal Control for City of Corpus Christi
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 30, 2019
The Corpus Christi Animal Control is a very hard and unrewarding place to work. You have to deal with all of the sadness that is involved with the job without any support from your "team". The other Officers are very nice and helpful however they are tired and over worked which leads to overlooking issues and neglect in doing their jobs. Overtime is always available because there is a lack of staff due to the poor management. Many of the employees feel emotionally and physically drained and are not happy working there. The job in and of itself is not the problem. The problem is the supervisors. They are rude and full of drama, they attempt to take over each others responsibilities and then fight amongst themselves. They speak to their employees in a very condescending and unprofessional manner. It is a very difficult job to keep your head up in with all of the sadness you encounter on a daily basis so it doesn't help when your supervisors add to that stress and frustration. The facility has a very hard time keeping employees as the atmosphere is not a nice one. Many times new employees start and quit right away usually by a few days. This is because the work environment is unrewarding for the amount of work put in. The animals are the only part of this position that is rewarding or fulfilling in any way. The shelter is a kill shelter and so sometimes even relying on the animals to provide that fulfillment in the workplace will lead to more sadness and frustration. Overall this is a good short time pass through position to get your foot in the door with the city. That is all.
Unprofessional environment with atrocious benefit program
Professional Position (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 11, 2019
Having worked in a professional capacity in my field for years now, I was initially excited to take on a position with the city in my field. Shortly after my start, however, small people with big titles began to make the work environment miserable to the point of it being hostile. Managerial incompetence in both managerial and position related tasks made the job unbearable to the point where eventually turning in a notice was the only option. If you enjoy working for bosses with a mediocre grasp of the subject matter, no managerial skills, and big egos who intend to really do nothing this is the place for you. The one saving grace is the workers in the "trenches" so to speak are usually knowledgeable and nice. Avoid like the plague though unless you enjoy experiments in narcissistic mediocrity.
Pros
Good coworkers at your level
Cons
No management, benefit programs are expensive
Management sucked but the job was fun
Lifeguard/WSI (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 31, 2018
I absolutely loved my work as a lifeguard and WSI for the city but the management is just poorly ran. The people in charge are really nice people, they're just unorganized in many different ways =.
Pros
Get in free at pool, pays well
Cons
long days, no job security
Working for the city
Leak Crew (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 19, 2018
Working with the city employees when they all work together is fun. painting fire hydrants was the best job I ever had. I like the schedule of 4 days on 3 days off.
Pros
Great insurance and work schedule
Cons
Working late nights fixing a leak
Not what I expected, long term.
Custodian/Maintenance/Driver (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 12, 2018
We went in with high hopes, but management only cares about a budget that seems to get smaller every year. Not to mention doing other people's jobs and only getting an apology from someone Secretary and later a verbal thank you. Under staffed, ill-equipped, and ill-advised. No communication to management. Supervisors only, who barely know their job besides day to day.
Pros
It's a living with benefits.
Cons
You'll have to buy every tool you need, before you submit a request that never gets read.
Poorly Managed 911 Call Center
Calltaker/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 17, 2018
MetroCom was a poorly managed 911 call center for police and firefighters. The training program was poorly put together and represented no real thought on how to train people for this very important job.
Fun experience
Gulf Beach Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 13, 2018
A typical workday is usually easy going, patrolling the beaches and attending to patrons questions and first aid needs. The most enjoyable part about being a beach lifeguard is the learning experiences; not only first aid and CPR but how to perform open water rescues in various ways (boards, tube and fins, and jetski), and working with first responders. The hardest part of the job, which rarely happens, is losing a patron when you and your rescue team tried everything in their power to save them. That is why preventative actions are very important as a beach lifeguard.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 13, 2018
My typical day at work involves multiple tasks that require concentration and alertness. By working in this field I have learned how too communicate with customers and satisfy their needs. The workplace culture consist of many obstacles and challenges. The hardest part of the job is trying to adjust to weather conditions in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team effort with co-workers.
ALearning Experience
Junior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 20, 2018
I was fortunate to be hired with no experience. I am always willing and eager to learn and I absorb quickly. Therefore this was an exciting challenge I accepted and, I feel, have excelled. My accounting background has played a part in this position but there was so much more to learn. I am appreciative of all I have learned as a Buyer.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Pay
It was a fun relaxed place to work
MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 13, 2018
The department I worked at was pretty laid back, but it was very mismanaged. Not a very productive place to work. They had good luncheons and lots of unnecessary training.
Not a very good place to work
Sr Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 7, 2018
Pay is very low and no chances of advancement unless you know someone. They have ok benefits but would not recommend as a good place to work. They need to offer more competitive pay.
A transtional place
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 5, 2018
The city is a good place to work while you search for a better place. I had the bad experience of working for a foreman who was always afraid someone was out to take his job. So I was shown the most basic things to do my job if I even got that. I had to go to previous people in my position to find out how to do a rather large amount of the duties I was supposed to preform.
Pros
1 hour lunch I guess
Cons
I basically never got the full hour, and often times only got 20 minutes if that.
not productive
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 10, 2018
The managers and other bosses were very ill prepared and didn't provide the best work environment. They liked to play favorites which made work for others less than enjoyable.
Fun environment
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 9, 2018
This was such a fun job and great people to work with! Everyone was nice and professional! No complaints whatsoever on staff or locations. Great benefits offered as well.
Fast Pace workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2018
and you how to open and close the store do the lotto money orders drop My Money Compare Food for a food court area very friendly person always greeting customers
Good & fun job!
Latchkey Coach (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 5, 2018
I loved the after school program. Helped kids with their homework. Helped them with activities. Had good communication skills with the children & the parents. Great program for the kids.
OK place to work and retire
Waste Water Collection Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX 78401June 1, 2018
Got along well with co-workers and supervisor. Received job assignments and performed with crew. Completed all task in a timely manner. Expected to take care of all equipment and tools.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
Work in all type f climates through the year Pay!
Employees are good people and hard workind people i liked going to work
Water Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 24, 2018
Fun place to work job was sometimes easy but sometimes was some what hard most other employees were good to work with and the foremans are good ones to work with we we on call every other 5 weeks
Pros
2 t0 1 retirement pmane
Cons
Heathcare wasnt that good
Good place to work for
Park Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 23, 2018
Good place to work for and had really good work environment. Had good coworkers, and great management. Had pretty good work benefits. Started as a temp which was good work and a solid of 40 hours a week.