City of Dallas Employee Reviews

very stressful and not a great place for advancement
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 6, 2018
horrible benefits, and horrible salary compared to other cities around the city of Dallas. We did the most work out of any city and got paid the least salary of any city in Texas.
Productive and a quiet environment
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2018
Love this job! The people and management are friendly and knowledgeable. Very customer service oriented and have good problem solving skills. Can learn what you want and need to know about building and inspections. Very enjoyable.
Pros
learn a lot about building and inspections
Cons
none.
Enjoyable and allowed to be an independent thinker
Senior Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 9, 2018
Enjoyable and allowed to be an independent thinker. My supervisors trusted my work and relied on my skill and ability. The contractors where great to work with.
COMMUNITY SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2018
Would enjoy working for the City of Dallas again. The City of Dallas does not thrive off firing their employees but will give them a chance to make things right, that was not the case for me. I had to resign because I had to deal with a major health issue but I am well now and am still striving to go back.
Enjoyed working, and meeting people
COURT SPECIALIST CLERK, EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2018
Very much enjoyed working with the City of Dallas, Worked and enjoyed working in difference departments. Especially working up in the Mayor's office. The people there were very professional.
I will never work here again
GIS Analyst III, Trinity Watershed Management (Former Employee) –  Downtown DallasOctober 11, 2018
Constant micromanagement with constant review of progress(daily)
Management easily angered by small errors. seems friendly at first but soon turns into overseer type of management. Work constantly over viewed and changed after being told to do it your way. Training that would improve work ignored in favor of do it my way or the highway
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Constant micromanagment
Courts
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  2014 Main st dallas txSeptember 25, 2018
Working at the City of Dallas in the records Department was an introduction to the court system.It was the catalyst to further a career in law and comprehension on how it is ran.Anyone interested in going into law prior to being a paralegal I would recommend working for a court system to familiarize your self with the environment.
Pros
Introduction into Law
Cons
No pay raises
Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 19, 2018
It is an awesome place to work. Positive work environment. Days are very productive in here. The workplace is fun, challenging, friendly, and rewarding.
Fun but also face-paced, like a rollercoaster
Office Assistant Il (Current Employee) –  dallas, texasSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at the City of Dallas. You meet a lot of interesting people. It might be a face-paced environment but if you enjoy that, like I do then its a great company to work for. There is, of course, some managers and co-workers that do not always appreciate a good, hard working person when they have them on their team. But if I had a chance to get hired for the City of Dallas full time, then I would take it.
Pros
some places were fun. Just depends what dept you are located at
Cons
sometimes feel unappreciated
N/a
Code Inspector II - Single Family Rental Program (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Great place to work, great environment, co-workers, and management. I would recommend this place to anybody qualified to try it out. Real hands on job.
this is a great job room for growth
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2018
i enjoy working with the public helping people . I also love the research part of the job .i enjoy the team work if need everyone comes together and help
workflow
Truck Driver II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 20, 2018
i learned how to be patience, take my time and work as many hour I can for the little pay. the easy part was loving t ocome to work and do my job. I think the hardest part was driving down them thin alley at first
Park and recreation (PART TIME)
RECREATION CENTER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 19, 2018
If you start as a Part time it is REALLY HARD I mean REALLY HARD to move up. Rec center close late! Part timers need to close the building EVERY NIGHT. Work EVERY Saturday. You are never out by the time your schedule says because of reservations or events going on.
If your part time no paid vacations,no benefits, no nothing! You can ONLY get 20 hours and NO OVER TIME. When you get paid they take retirement money out and taxes. You pay check comes out really small. Full time staff spend all day at work working 9 hrs a day. There is no life balance..
Pros
All holidays off but no pay. Sundays off.
Cons
No over time, closing every night, hard to get days off, no benefits, no paid days off, super hard to move up.
Enjoyed working with most staff members and customers
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 11, 2018
During my time with this organization, I enjoyed serving customers, but I did not care for the disrespect and disregard on the part of Upper Management as a whole towards staff members.

For the most part, staff members were great and so were the mid-managers, but the executive staff did not value staff members.

I cannot prove it, but I believe that some staff members were blackballed based on their opposing ideologies and that their favorite employees were allowed to thrive.
Pros
Bad Weather Days off, Caring Staff
Cons
Low-grade Health Insurance
Job Dities
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2018
I work 5 days a week for Dallas Fire Department. I'm over the Special Events Section. I schedule part-time work for medics on their day off. Events include: Parades, races, concerts, festival etc; My job requires me to work on weekends also. I have learned how to work with computers, schedules, relationships with clients, action plans and payroll. The fire department is a real good place to work for as for as workplace structure. The hardest part of my job is having to open up 400 emails a day. The most enjoyable part of my job is putting in over 50 hours of work for a big event and event the event ran smoothly.
Pros
Making medics happy by getting them part time work.
Cons
Long hours and alot of time being away from my family.
Long Term
(Laborer II B) Streets Department-Asphalt (Former Employee) –  Dallas TXJuly 26, 2018
Great for long term. The pay was very low and the benefits were very expensive. If you did not work overtime, it was difficult to make ends meet. My supervisor was not good to work with.
Fast paced
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 24, 2018
Excellent place to work at ... but with major needs to improve management from the Director, to the Managers on duty. But a great place to work. Specially for the Great Influence that Our City has over most of the smaller towns/cities in the area.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Health insurance. lack of a good retirement plan.
Enjoyable
Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 21, 2018
At the City of Dallas, I mostly enjoyed the work: requisitions and coordinating with vendors. Helping others pay their bills filled me with a sense of purpose.
Very fun and a workout, you must have patience. Love the kids.
Camp Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2018
You must have patience and understand your kids. Every kid isn’t the same so you have to understand that. You have to love your job. Have fun and be open to new things.
Stability
Utility Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2018
Theres room for growth at the cod, you learn how to bill accounts and what makes the city of dallas function as far as code compliance. The most enjoyable part about my job is there is opportunity to grow with the city of dallas
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
N/a