City of Dallas Employee Reviews

Fun and Friendly
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 21, 2018
Good place to work, with good benefits. People here are great. Team player type atmosphere.Co- workers get along well and we have developed a brother hood which is great.
City of Dallas
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 16, 2018
Every other department is wonderful except the 311 Call Center (its not terrible but not great either). The management is inconsistent and so is the schedule. If you have a sick child, or you almost die you will be penalized for not coming to work, even if you can prove it!. Every other floor in City Hall is nice and easy going. Management wants to hold employees back and prevent employees from leaving their department to grow. They have a high turn over rate. The insurance isn't that great either. The people are caring and will take time to think of you. The department does potlucks and everyone gets a plate which is good. They are flexible with schedule at times if you let them know months in advance (I mean months literally).
Pros
potluck, people, flexible
Cons
24/hr call center, strict attendence policy, no career growth
Great job for college students
Camp Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2018
If you like working with children or are majoring in recreation management this is the PERFECT job for you. As a camp leader for the City of Dallas, you are responsible for taking 50 children on field trips, creating activities, taking them swimming, making arts and crafts and more. You are basically being paid to have fun. Management is very flexible with your work schedule and have a great attitude in all aspects of their job. The hardest part of the job is juggling responsibilities between the leader and other counselors to make sure each of the 50 kids having a positive, educational, fun, summer.
Pros
free lunch
Interesting Place to Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Dallas City HallMay 10, 2018
The typical work day varied by shift. It depended on how many people you had to book in that day.
For the most part it was fun and moved rather quickly.
The most enjoyable for me was seeing the team come in and start their shifts, leaving in the mornings as the new shift was coming in to start their day.
I miss that the most.
Pros
Being a part of the "Brotherhood" of Officers
Cons
no specified lunch time or breaks
Wonderful Employer
Compliance Manager Housing and Community Services (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2018
Overall The City of Dallas is a good company to work for. A typical day consist of daily operations in the Compliance Divisions releasing liens for the citizens who received federal funds for down payment assistance and home rehabilitation programs. I learn to be very flexible
Cons
Health care is too expensive
Hectic pace but rewarding
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2018
Things can get hectic but over time you learn how to slow things down while maintaining efficiency. The reward is the expression of gratitude that people bestow upon you for assisting them.
Great place to start
Legislative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2018
The city is great to get your feet wet, learn about city processes. It would do well, however there isn't much room for advancement and city processes and bureaucracy keep it from retaining talent. Benefits are horrible
Pros
helping citizens, learning new items, making a difference
Cons
bad pay, horrible benefits, poor leadership
Great Management Opportunities
Supervisor-Code Compliance (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 22, 2018
My employment with the City Of Dallas was very competive and allowed me the opportunity for training and growth. Management gave me many moments to work with community members including council persons and activists.

The most demanding issues were the time requirements for investigating complaints from the activists groups and political units.

I worked diligently to revitalize a neighborhood. Over 60 homes were condemned and a new subdivision blossomed and increased the tax base.
Pros
Great training opportunities
Cons
Fast time deadlines
Human Resources Analyst
Senior Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 21, 2018
City of Dallas allows human resources analyst to make decisions and use creativity in addressing misconduct issues. Work is fast pace, include continuous learning.
Pros
Location and Autonomy
Cons
No promotion potential
okay workplace
Service Center Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2018
I have extensive experience in the automotive and trucking industries in management, parts and service. I also can multi task and learn at an accelerated rate. I have very good organizational skills.
Technology somewhat behind and did not have ability to continue to practice kraft, other than that good place to work
Sr. IT Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2018
Meetings, meetings and meetings, Design order and install network equipment
More of a project management type position
Learn how to lead projects from start to completion
Not able to configure equipment
Pros
work environment/salary
Cons
Not able to configure equipment, not able to practice kraft
Work day
Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75215April 4, 2018
My current position with the City of Dallas is a Coordinator in the Transportation Department. I like the job but it is not a career position for me. My heart and passion belongs with helping others. With this position I typical am responsible for paying invoices for the Transportation Department and keeping up with spreadsheets concerning MCC request. MCC request are special request that come down from the Mayoral and Council office concerning Traffic Signals and Pavement markings that need to be address in an urgent manor. My duty is to make sure that the projected are completed in a timely fashion and if they are not completed in a timely fashion I need to inform them way not
Pros
Work hours are 7:00 to 4:00 pm daily
Cons
Not a community Base Job
Easily the best job that I've ever had
Water Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, TXMarch 23, 2018
I have worked here for dive years and I have never had a complaint about having to work here. Some times politics is a factor when you are working but you learn to deal with it and make it work for you,
Nice place to work
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2018
If you are looking for a place to work 8-5 Monday to Friday this will be the place to be. there is always something going on with the City of Dallas. Management is always looking for new ways to save the citizens of Dallas money and make Dallas better then other cites.
Fast paced, fun and most be able to adapt
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2018
Great opportunities working for the City of Dallas. .I don't have much more to type due to the fact that I have been up all night. I got up yesterday at 4:30 a.m.
Pros
Benefits outside of the job are great, Businesses like Police, Co-workers throughout the city are willing to help. Just ask.
Cons
Face paced can get caught up in a mess quick.
great
Volunteer at coombs creek recreation center (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 20, 2018
Great experience. The environment was good, people are nice. I did voting polls in may I had a chance to learn something new. I will do it again if I had the chance.
Fun Place
Parks and Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 15, 2018
Park and Rec department was awesome it was fun going around and visiting all the parks of the city of Dallas fun place good co workers and better management
Pros
everything
I like working there
Truck Driver II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75202March 13, 2018
I like work there. The people are fun to work with. The managemnet was nice. The people that work with me on the truck was good. This is a good company yo work for.
Pros
friendly people
To many politics
Community Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 21, 2018
Good company if you are able I deal with the politics I had fun while I was there but just looking for more money and the city is very tight with raises and bonuses
Like the work
Water Meter Inspector (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75201February 21, 2018
I must say that I really like the job that I do but I do not like the weather. I use to work here once before and I loved it then, I am just looking for an inside job.