City of Dallas Employee Reviews

Stability
Utility Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2018
Theres room for growth at the cod, you learn how to bill accounts and what makes the city of dallas function as far as code compliance. The most enjoyable part about my job is there is opportunity to grow with the city of dallas
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
N/a
Competitive
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2018
You get to manage your work day and work at your own pace. Management has been good to me but I haven't been there long enough to really say much more. You will have the opportunity to wear many hats and learn about many jobs within the city. The hardest part for me is that I live in FW. The commute and pay just don't add up for me. I enjoy helping the citizens and all the new faces I regularly get to meet.
Pros
Uniforms
Cons
Healthcare
Not a good employer
Manager II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2018
City of Dallas is a typical municipality. They encourage mediocrity and quality employees often give up or move to the private sector. Consider other jobs first.
Pros
Near impossible to get fired
Cons
Frustrating for those that like to excel
Review not provided - Subjective Opinion
Facilities Manager II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2018
Employer reviews are not beneficial to others as they are subjective. Each individual needs to formulate their own opinion, based on their own experiences rather than the experience and opinions of others.
City Marshal
Dallas City Marshal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2018
They only assist the ones they like. They make working for the DMO difficult because they allow favoritism. Worst place I have ever worked. I would not recommend anyone with any real police experience to apply with them.
Pros
Cons
Unqualified supervisors, favorism, unrealistic policy’s that changes per employee.
Good
Sr. Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 27, 2018
Great place to work. Strongly recommended. This place of business is the pulse of the city, and taught me a lot about the way the public sector works.
It was okay
Heavy Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 27, 2018
It is very hard to work for places that change management and they are so young and do not care. Also not knowing what is going on in your own department makes it very difficult to gain your employee's respect.
Its easy but they play all day
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 25, 2018
311 they work with you but they will play with your intelligence Gary place to be if you want to advance 311 wants you to stay but you will want to go to a different department
Pros
Advance quickly
Cons
10 minute breaks
The most enjoyable part of the job
Accounting Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Dallas, ORJune 12, 2018
PERS
Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits after probationary time
Union
AFLAC
Pros
Free Employee Parking
Cons
Heavy Workload & Challenging/Irate People
Work Environment
Water Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 1, 2018
I like that work independently on a daily basis. I like being able to interact with the public and I have a good working relationship with the community I serve.
City Work
PARKS & RECREATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 30, 2018
I work the evening shift and come in to work with the afterschool children. Working with the children - is both fun/hectic. Keeping the children engaged in activities or what your saying takes skill and patience so you have to be fun loving/playful at times.
The hardest part about the job is seeing the kids leave (age out) of the program-we spend a lot of time getting to know the children/families and it's hard to see them leave. Working at the community center isn't always fun- we occasionally have those individuals that come in with bad attitudes/moods and give us a hard time but - I have a strong supportive manger that makes those times light.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
Compensation
Rewarding place to work
Library Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 29, 2018
Working with different communities can be exciting, rewarding, and challenging. Each branch has its own unique community so each has a unique work environment. This also means that job culture varies from branch to branch. Also, this position pays less then other public library systems, as do most City of Dallas positions.
Pros
Rewarding working with the community
Cons
Low pay, working weekends, minimal benefits
Balance family life but not professionalism
Senior Contract Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 22, 2018
The City of Dallas does not promote healthy management teams. They do not focus on individual skills and employees learning style applied on the job. Some Management teams do not promote professional growth among their employees due to the manager not being educated themselves. It's not healthy to work with managers that can't take you where your skills and education can be elevated.
Fun and Friendly
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 21, 2018
Good place to work, with good benefits. People here are great. Team player type atmosphere.Co- workers get along well and we have developed a brother hood which is great.
City of Dallas
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 16, 2018
Every other department is wonderful except the 311 Call Center (its not terrible but not great either). The management is inconsistent and so is the schedule. If you have a sick child, or you almost die you will be penalized for not coming to work, even if you can prove it!. Every other floor in City Hall is nice and easy going. Management wants to hold employees back and prevent employees from leaving their department to grow. They have a high turn over rate. The insurance isn't that great either. The people are caring and will take time to think of you. The department does potlucks and everyone gets a plate which is good. They are flexible with schedule at times if you let them know months in advance (I mean months literally).
Pros
potluck, people, flexible
Cons
24/hr call center, strict attendence policy, no career growth
Great job for college students
Camp Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2018
If you like working with children or are majoring in recreation management this is the PERFECT job for you. As a camp leader for the City of Dallas, you are responsible for taking 50 children on field trips, creating activities, taking them swimming, making arts and crafts and more. You are basically being paid to have fun. Management is very flexible with your work schedule and have a great attitude in all aspects of their job. The hardest part of the job is juggling responsibilities between the leader and other counselors to make sure each of the 50 kids having a positive, educational, fun, summer.
Pros
free lunch
Interesting Place to Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Dallas City HallMay 10, 2018
The typical work day varied by shift. It depended on how many people you had to book in that day.
For the most part it was fun and moved rather quickly.
The most enjoyable for me was seeing the team come in and start their shifts, leaving in the mornings as the new shift was coming in to start their day.
I miss that the most.
Pros
Being a part of the "Brotherhood" of Officers
Cons
no specified lunch time or breaks
Wonderful Employer
Compliance Manager Housing and Community Services (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2018
Overall The City of Dallas is a good company to work for. A typical day consist of daily operations in the Compliance Divisions releasing liens for the citizens who received federal funds for down payment assistance and home rehabilitation programs. I learn to be very flexible
Cons
Health care is too expensive
Hectic pace but rewarding
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2018
Things can get hectic but over time you learn how to slow things down while maintaining efficiency. The reward is the expression of gratitude that people bestow upon you for assisting them.
Great place to start
Legislative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2018
The city is great to get your feet wet, learn about city processes. It would do well, however there isn't much room for advancement and city processes and bureaucracy keep it from retaining talent. Benefits are horrible
Pros
helping citizens, learning new items, making a difference
Cons
bad pay, horrible benefits, poor leadership