City of Dallas Employee Reviews

Great job . Lots of red tape.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 28, 2019
Plenty of overtime if desired. Just like the service, follow you're last order. Smile nod you're head and shut up. Great retirement plan. Fellow employee's great to work with.
Pros
Long term career
Cons
Don't think. Do as you're told.
Productive job to work
Armed Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 17, 2019
Typical day at work consist of patrolling the City Hall building property inner and outer areas. Learning the laws and regulation in Dallas. Directing employees, visitors, and city counsel members to the right location.
Pros
Secure Job
Cons
Short room for advancement
Call Center Services
Customer Service Representative-C (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 6, 2019
A typical day at the call is answering the phone calls. It is very challenging, and interesting. I have learned that their are all kinds of people in this world. There are people that are just not happy and then there are the joyful ones. I have come to the conclusion that if I do not have a happy client the phone may be a little challanging, and my goal is to make them happy when finished with the call. The hardest part of the job talking to those mothers that have all the medical issues and wish there was a cure for all of them. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a happy client of each and every phone that I do receive.
Pros
Overtime, and a very supportive Manager
Cons
short staffed
Poor management
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Poor management driven by politics. Poor working conditions. Lack of support for employees. Benefits are expensive and not adequate for the cost. No match on 401k.
Pros and cons like most places.
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fair Park, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Management team and style was horrible outside of Assistant Director. These individuals cultivated and maintained a toxic work culture with nepotism.
Ok
Reporting Lead (Interim) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Hard to make career transition within the company. Worked in one field of study then received Master's degree and find it challenging to transition within the company due to no experience
Few words
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 20, 2018
The organization could be a great place but it is contingent upon leadership. At this time, leadership leaves a lot to be desired. But the building structure is sound and there are plenty of really nice offices. The end.
Good Opportunity
Sr. Real Estate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 18, 2018
The City of Dallas is a good place to work to gain knowledge of how a municipality functions. It is also a good organization to have some opportunities to advance, because of the diverse functions that the City offers. And the retirement Benefits are good because you can actually have a goal and an opportunity to retire.
Pros
Stable place to work
Cons
Bad management structure
very stressful and not a great place for advancement
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 6, 2018
horrible benefits, and horrible salary compared to other cities around the city of Dallas. We did the most work out of any city and got paid the least salary of any city in Texas.
N/a
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2018
I enjoy the consistent training I receive to better help me to do my job effectively. I enjoy my friendly co workers I have the pleasure working with.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No pay raises
Productive and a quiet environment
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2018
Love this job! The people and management are friendly and knowledgeable. Very customer service oriented and have good problem solving skills. Can learn what you want and need to know about building and inspections. Very enjoyable.
Pros
learn a lot about building and inspections
Cons
none.
Enjoyable and allowed to be an independent thinker
Senior Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 9, 2018
Enjoyable and allowed to be an independent thinker. My supervisors trusted my work and relied on my skill and ability. The contractors where great to work with.
COMMUNITY SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2018
Would enjoy working for the City of Dallas again. The City of Dallas does not thrive off firing their employees but will give them a chance to make things right, that was not the case for me. I had to resign because I had to deal with a major health issue but I am well now and am still striving to go back.
Enjoyed working, and meeting people
COURT SPECIALIST CLERK, EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2018
Very much enjoyed working with the City of Dallas, Worked and enjoyed working in difference departments. Especially working up in the Mayor's office. The people there were very professional.
I will never work here again
GIS Analyst III, Trinity Watershed Management (Former Employee) –  Downtown DallasOctober 11, 2018
Constant micromanagement with constant review of progress(daily)
Management easily angered by small errors. seems friendly at first but soon turns into overseer type of management. Work constantly over viewed and changed after being told to do it your way. Training that would improve work ignored in favor of do it my way or the highway
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Constant micromanagment
Courts
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  2014 Main st dallas txSeptember 25, 2018
Working at the City of Dallas in the records Department was an introduction to the court system.It was the catalyst to further a career in law and comprehension on how it is ran.Anyone interested in going into law prior to being a paralegal I would recommend working for a court system to familiarize your self with the environment.
Pros
Introduction into Law
Cons
No pay raises
Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 19, 2018
It is an awesome place to work. Positive work environment. Days are very productive in here. The workplace is fun, challenging, friendly, and rewarding.
Fun but also face-paced, like a rollercoaster
Office Assistant Il (Current Employee) –  dallas, texasSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at the City of Dallas. You meet a lot of interesting people. It might be a face-paced environment but if you enjoy that, like I do then its a great company to work for. There is, of course, some managers and co-workers that do not always appreciate a good, hard working person when they have them on their team. But if I had a chance to get hired for the City of Dallas full time, then I would take it.
Pros
some places were fun. Just depends what dept you are located at
Cons
sometimes feel unappreciated
N/a
Code Inspector II - Single Family Rental Program (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Great place to work, great environment, co-workers, and management. I would recommend this place to anybody qualified to try it out. Real hands on job.
this is a great job room for growth
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2018
i enjoy working with the public helping people . I also love the research part of the job .i enjoy the team work if need everyone comes together and help