City of Dallas
Happiness rating is 62 out of 100

City of Dallas Employee Reviews

United States527 reviews

Politics

Most of the time they already who they want in a job position. It is way too much to discuss on this website. Plenty of people have gotten their hopes up just to be let down because they were playing a numbers game. They have to have a certain number of people do interviews.

Pros

Stability

Cons

Politics

911 call taker

Decent benefits. High turnover rate. Bad management, rude and unprofessional. Shifts based on seniority. At least two months in advance Required for time off. A lot of time away from family. It took 3 months to start from date of application. Double shifts often mandatory. You will be hung out to dry when you make a mistake.

City of Dallas insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Okay

Was a cashier for 2 years with the city of Dallas. Not the best job but a job is job with bills to pay. The city employees are okay some feel entitled but overall it’s a decent job.

The family environment

They treat everyone like family. Trying everyone who works there.Providing water and popsicles on the hot days outside for the readers. Making sure everyone is trained on the jobs fully.

Think twice

Too many things they don’t tell you about until you hit the floor! Avoid at all costs! They give you great training but the managers don’t want to be bothered, they barely answer questions and they only look out for themselves. The procedures constantly change or don’t work. If I didn’t have responsibility, I would quit immediately.

This Job is a good Job but has Terrible pay rate

The only problem I have with this Job is it dosent pay enough very poor pay Rate for CDL divers this job is basically for someone who’s retired and want a job they can pittle around with that’s all it not for a person trying to make a living

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Terrible pay for CDL drivers

Racist and Dictatorship at management positions, most employees are unhappy. Can’t request off and expect approval.

City of Dallas is at it’s worst, leadership isn’t properly trained. Management isn’t understanding how employees need to be treated right. Pay is horrible,especially compared to other citys in the state.

Ehh…the JOB is cool. It’s just what goes around it.

All im gonna say is 13 hrs a day, mostly 6 days a week wit the most unkempt equipment. The JOB is ok tho, just workin our butts off. Sometimes you can burn out from this!

Best city to work for.

Overall, good work environment. Good ethics program. Great management. Nice work schedule. Appreciative and encouraging community. Hiring process kind of slow but, overall, great place to work.

If you like being walked all over

Not a good place to work at. Lots of favoritism, you will only advance if you’re related to or are friends with management. A lot of the stuff that is said and done should be reported to HR but fear of retaliation stops most people so they quit or wait to be fired instead.

Meaningful employment, high stress

Difficult to maintain family time with work schedule. Work can be enjoyable when you make a difference but can be very high stress. Balancing family time is very difficult with work schedule.

Pros

Pay

Cons

High stress, work/ family balance non-existent

Good environment

The City of Dallas is a productive, rewarding environment in which to work. I have learned much about the intricacies of running a city. No complaints.

Great place to move to different departments if you are not satisfied with your current job.

If you need a variety of job opportunities, this is the place, although the money can be small compared to other places. The benefits helps curve the lack of pay , plus every pay period you generate pto.

Pros

Down time, do your job, don't complain about the things you can't change and you will be fine.

Cons

Little pay when you compare to other cities.

Wonderful place to work.

An absolute wonderful place to work and improve your customer service skills. Very fair and wonderful supervision. Always a pleasure to get to work on time.

Benefits are descent

A large a municipality as the City of Dallas is, there should be better management of resources. Promotion is based on who one knowns, rather that what one knows.Jobs are posted regularly. However, these jobs are posted to satisfy the requirement of posting the job. But, the powers that be are already aware of who they want to fulfill the position.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Management sucks

Job requirements are attainable - you just have to hang in there

Working for the city looks great on your resume.Retiring from the city is a goal to strive for.There are times when calls become difficult- but if you stop and think- this caller is not upset with me- but the actual situation that's when de-escalating a call becomes a perfect time to use your customer service skills.

Team members are good people

The people are good to work with. It is a collaborative environment. If it weren’t for the fact that I like my co-workers and what I do, I’d be long gone. The management is abusive and it’s a really toxic environment. Being told on a regular basis to work late and over the weekend is tiresome. High expectations and low human resources means most employees are relentlessly over burdened.

Pros

Pension plan, Full hour lunch, and two 15 minute breaks

Cons

Healthcare plan is affordable but out of pocket costs are astronomical

Fun work place, always on your toes

Loved working as a cam counselor!! You get to have so much fun while taking care of the kids, and get to be around other recreational workers who also care about the kids as well. Weekly or bi weekly field trips that you do not have to pay for.

Pros

free lunch, field trips

Cons

short breaks

Stressful

At the beginning it was all good, once out of training that’s when real life hits. Most of what we were told were not true for example that we would be permanent after passing training. Second the amount of calls received especially for a bilingual call taker was a lot. To not even get paid for taking the extra calls as told we would in the beginning. We were told we would get back pay for the calls taken in Spanish. But I did not receive that pay plus at the time it was all verbal, I do not know why I believed it. After working around 4months in they finally offered me the Spanish test to get my bilingual pay. And to even get the pay you must score above a certain level, if not you will take calls in Spanish and English but not get the pay because that is what was happening to my other coworkers. There was lots of gossip in the office. We were never told that per every call we would be timed in how long you are off the phone, going against your record leading to many write ups the turn over rate was crazy. You could go to lunch and check out from your phone that you are going to lunch or break or bathroom and if you went right after a call and the timer counted any minutes or seconds it would add it to your time that you are off the phone and the supervisors would keep track of and would write us up after each month. It was hard to move up or get any raises yet they want you to work on multiple calls dealing with water, 311, courts and auto pound. I was very unhappy with the job and I started with over 7 coworkers who were trained with me and all of us were let go by the end -

Pros

Pay was at 12.00 and we worked Mon-Friday no holidays

Cons

No overtime allowed for temporary employees

It was a laid back place to work for(Dallas Public Library).

Most of the days at my job I spend interacting with patrons. We check out items and issue library cards. It is a pretty laid back job that doesn't stress one out much. Work hours are pretty set with 40 Hrs a week minimum. Best part of the job is getting to know my coworkers and working with the public.

Good work environment

It's a comfortable place to work. Really good people but pay is not so good. Great opportunities for promoting up the ladder regardless of which department you are in.

Pros

Relaxed work environment

Cons

Pay is below standard

Common questions about City of Dallas

Answered by current and former employees at City of Dallas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Dallas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.4
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight