City of Dearborn Employee Reviews

good place to work
Highway Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 21, 2018
if you like doing defferent things great place to work.its a job with so many different job paths. everything from police,fire to dpw, or city hall. the dpw was a great career choice for me.
Great People
Police Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 9, 2018
The Dearborn Police Department has a great group of people working for them. The day to day workers are fantastic and very caring. The genuinely care about the community and want to make it better.
Pros
People
Cons
Administration
Friendly co-workers.
Elections Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 29, 2017
Busy days, a lot of public contact. Worked with many elected officials that appreciated your help. It was hard to always find the right mix of people to get the job done on Election days.
Pros
Longevity, pension
Cons
Long drive, not always fair place to work
Learned additional skills in dealing with people.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 22, 2017
Trying to create an improved culture in the library in order to serve the needs of all of the patrons. There are many challenges especially from middle school and high school students who view the library as a social gathering place and some create disturbances for patrons who need a quiet environment to conduct their work.
Pros
Opportunity to serve people who appreciate what you are trying to do for them.
Cons
Patrons who cause problems for other patrons and staff.
Fun Summer Job
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 1, 2017
Great job for young adults, you meet a lot of fun people. Also out in the sun all day. Great summer job, not overly stressful but it could get a bit too busy on some days.
Very fun workplace for high school and college students.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 19, 2017
Typically the longest shifts were 4-5 hours. However, there was a lack of Lifeguards so more than likely management asked employees to work worked doubles often. I Learned a lot from this job! I was certified in CPR/First aid and CPR/AED. Also, i was trained on how to teach swim class Lessons and was taught about management. the workplace is great, typically everyone I worked with was my age or 4 years older. most enjoyable part was the events that the city hosted for employees, like the staff and patron swim competitions between pools in the city.
Pros
working with great co-workers and management.
Cons
Work place drama and under staffed.
It is a productive and fun workplace with free membership
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJuly 19, 2017
It is a productive and fun workplace with free membership to all employees, and it is also very diverse and that what I enjoyed the most. I enjoyed working there!
Dearborn
City Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJune 2, 2017
Amazing place to work. Great employees and employers. Hard workers, determined, the bosses are helpful, straight to the point and motivating. The day flies and it feels like you just got there sometimes. Easily one of the best places I have worked at.
not productive
Life Guard- indoor/outdoor (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMay 10, 2017
it was very strict and uptight about rules. the pay was very low, despite the expense of getting the lifeguard certification. i learned nothing. the management in the pool department is run by teenagers who have no experience with management. the workplace culture was fair. the hardest part of the job was missing school for mandatory meetings, and the most enjoyable part were the coworkers.
Great people to work with.
Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 30, 2016
A very fun and loving, tight-knit group of people to work with. It feels like everyone is one big family. Great learning experiences.
Good Summer employment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Milford, MIMarch 26, 2016
Nice place to start but I need a real job.
Work a forty hour week
Only work May through November
Seven day campground operation
Pros
Work outside in the fresh air
Cons
Immature coworkers
great place to work
Technical Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 29, 2016
Working in the theater was a great experience, being able to meet people from different walks of life. Everyone worked as a team.
Pros
the people you meet
Cons
no benefits
A challenging and productive place to work
Department Technician/General Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 15, 2016
One of the best places to work because of the employees, business owners and residents. A great place to learn the in's and out's of local government policies, such as zoning ordinances and building codes. The only difficulty was having to deal with the political red tape, so to speak. But I looked forward to greeting the residents and business owners and becoming acquainted with them over the years.
Hostile Environment
finance (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 25, 2015
I can't speak for every department at the City, but I can tell you that working for Finance is not a pleasant experience. The atmosphere is tense, the expectations are high and the bosses are - to be kind - not easy to work for. As an outsider, I always wondered why this department had such extremely high turnover. Now, I know why. If you're considering applying for a job in this department, understand the compensation is going to be poor (even by government standards), management does not have your back and will treat you like a child while shoving a ridiculous workload on your desk. Also, do not plan on deviating from an 8 - 5 schedule or a noon - 1 lunch period because, most likely, the world as we know it would collapse if you did. In short, stay away, far, far away.
Pros
Nice office, a few decent people
Cons
Low pay, lack of flexibility, hostile work environment
Multi- cultural place of employment
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  City HallSeptember 15, 2015
Always enjoyed the people that I worked along the side with. There was always ample amounts of assignments to take heed, to keep us productive.
Pros
Understanding of issues in the office.
Cons
Misconstrued issues in the work place.
Good work enviromnent
Crime Lab / Property Room Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 28, 2015
Great place to work, excellent city, excellent benefits. The Dearborn Police Department is one of the premier police agencies in Michigan.
Pros
Great benefits
Terrible micromanagement
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 7, 2015
When you first start, it is a little fun learning about the pool and your duties. But generally most of the employees didn't want to work, and if you had an emergency without someone to cover you, you would get written up or punished otherwise. This is an easy job, with a great start pay. However, you were not compensated for doing a good job, even though your pay could or should be increased (by the year, if I'm not mistaken). A typical day at work would be standing or sitting for 80% of your shift, using your outside voice to get people's attention if they weren't following pool rules. Generally you prevent drownings or accidents. But if you had to get in the water for someone, it wasn't really that big of a deal. It was usually a child who had lost their footing in the water and their parent was not around to help. That's where you come in. The management, because it was run by the city, was terrible. You would get in trouble for little things and have to suffer the consequences. The fan to regulate the indoor pool's temperature and breathable air was BROKEN for YEARS and not fixed. This caused a lot of lifeguards to get "lifeguard lung" and you could walk away from the job or suffer through it. There was no good way out. You never actually see your boss, and when you do, it's not because he's happy to see you. It's usually because someone is in trouble. I learned leadership skills, obviously first aid and CPR, and lots of creative ways to entertain children and keep them safe. As a lifeguard, there was a chance to make more money per hour teaching swim lessons to children  more... and adults. The hardest part of the job was the micromanagement and the lack of compensation or even recognition for a job well done, no initiative, etc. Best part was the above minimum wage pay and ease of the job.  less
Pros
Easy job, good pay.
Cons
lack of compensation, micromanagement, terrible co-workers.
Unpleasant job and unpleasant bosses
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Recreation CenterMarch 23, 2015
The boss was unreasonable, disrespectful, and had poor communication skills. When I was first hired employees from other departments were encouraging me to find another job asap. Cleaning is never a pleasant job but it's doable when the environment isn't as hostile as this. I only stayed here for a short while before I got sick of being screamed at by my boss.
Pros
Predictable Hours
Cons
Hostile Environment
Building Supervisor (former employee)
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 31, 2015
I would recommend this position to anyone looking for a solid part-time position... unless Chester is still managing. The facility itself was great and there was always something to do. The combined fitness center, gym, pool, and theater make this position extremely dynamic and you learn a little about everything.

Again, my forewarning is regarding the over-bearing enforcement officer of a boss. Best of luck!
Stagehand/Box Office Part-time (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 28, 2014
Working for the City of Dearborn was an enjoyable place to work, I worked with a lot of great people. Worked varied from day to day, could have been working at the ticket window to loading in a show. I learned several things about working in a theater.