City of Detroit Employee Reviews

Productive place to work.
Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 31, 2019
A learning lesson great starter job. I learned a lot rom my first manager in 2000. I loved working downtown great environment. They have lunchtime concerts.
Hard work unnoticed
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 21, 2019
Expected to do 3 jobs with employee cutbacks. Long working hours on mandatory overtime unfairly treated by female supervisors. Never rewarded for hard work as it was expected. Victim of racism.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long working hours with poor supervisor management; unbearable heat
City of Detroit great place but no room for growth
Detroit (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 17, 2019
City of Detroit is a good place to work, just no room for advancement. Salary wages is the lowest paid entity in the region. I'm a paver operator with a CDL A license making $14.42 an hour the pay scale is not where it should be
Productive place to work, working on behalf of residents in Detroit is gratifying work.
Councilman James Tate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 10, 2019
I learned about city government and the important role of our city leadership and the impact laws and ordinances have on city residents.
I enjoyed working for city council and gained work experience that was invaluable. I worked with the mayor's office on a daily basis scheduling appointments and followed up on concerns with the various city departments.

The hardest part of my job was not always being able to fix a residents issue or complaint. I most enjoyed the team I worked for they are a hard working group of people who truly care about helping city residents.
N/a
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 6, 2019
I am not sure if this is anew update but I don't think that you should be required to provide a review for a job hat you have or currently are employed.
Excellent Experience
Environmental Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 26, 2018
Most workplaces you get what you put in. This is no different. Plenty of opportunities to obtain work/life balance, pretty good environment overall. I would recommend.
Horrible experience
Student police officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 27, 2018
I was employed for the city for less than a year. Many of my coworkers were in a similar situation. We left a stable job for a career. With no waning we were laid off!
Inexperienced Formans and Supervisors
Vehicle Operator III (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 15, 2018
There are better cities to work for that has better pay and management. Don't waste your time working at a place that doesn't value your time and skill set. There is constant miscommunication. Even though we're all under the City of Detroit, the different departments compete and go against one another. Even to the point of making it impossible to complete your work during your shift.

They promote people based off of how long someone worked for the city. So you'll often have inexperienced formans and supervisors that you basically have to train so that they can manage you(?). Great workers, like myself, don't get rewarded with raises, praise, and opportunity. Great workers get the most work and the harder assignments while everyone else just sits around and do nothing majority of the shift.

The pay is by far one of, if not, the lowest throughout the state doing thee EXACT same work. I'm talking $4-5 /hr difference.

I hope in the near future they get their act together. I just won't be there to witness/benefit from it. And this is all coming from a Detroit resident. I was excited to start working for my city, but that excitement quickly turned into annoyance and regret.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Read Review
All work no play
Transportation equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 14, 2018
its a fast paced job not good if you have family at home cause its all about driving for DDOT you won't have a home life. There's no set schedule you have to check the work log everyday to see what your working the next day which is not a good thing if you have small children at home.
friendly
Pmh/La (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 3, 2018
a typical day working for the City of Detroit you meet a lot of new people and learn a lot far as cutting and maintenance parks. The management is very poor
Job was a typical day at work
Motor Vehicle I Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 31, 2018
The job was enjoyable but was only seasonal. Would have liked to work more hours but the requirements were only during the summer months. The most enjoyable part was working with my coworkers.
Pros
Ability to work
Cons
Not enough hours
Extremely unprofessional and unfair work environment
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2018
The City of Detroit lacks oversight and accountability for management and employees. Supervisor are free to bully, isolate and harass employees. They are allowed to promote and give raises to family and friends. Supervisor are allowed to purposely stifle and hinder quality employees based on personal feelings. Upper management does nothing to discipline incompetent Supervisors and allow them to violate employee rights at will.
Great Job
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2018
Working here was an amazing experience I enjoyed all the things I learned it was the best job I ever had. Hope to get a job as exciting again one day.
The job enviroment was different but my co workers were amazing
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  1301 East WarrenOctober 25, 2018
This place needs to be managed better and need to informed the citizens more effectively when it comes to information and they need to value their employees more and should also come up with a grace period so ppl wont be late for their shifts
Pros
You meet different people everyday, I have the ability to get as many overtime hours as possible once hired in.
Cons
The lack of moral of the company, and respect that you received from some of the managers is ridiculous.
Hard to advance unless you are a private associate of management
Executive Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2018
Managers love to micro-manage even when it is not needed. Very had to advance unless you know management personally. It is very hard to get appropriate raises even when they are only step increases, you have to remember to ask about it to get it. The hardest part of the job is knowing that you are a great employee that does exceptional work, have not had any problems in 21 years, and although you are asked to do "special projects", that does not include a raise, just overtime.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Lack good managers
Workplace Culture
Election Clerica Assistant (ECA) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 9, 2018
The workplace most times was way too relaxed once I completed my work assignment way ahead of time, and of which there was way too many days that I got bored because not enough work to do for rest of the day when I had completed my work assignment way too early.
Pros
Great Team Work environment
Cons
no holdiay pay for seasonal employee nor health benefits for seasonal employees, and sbreaks too short for seasonal employee
Can be stressful...
Emergency Services Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 1, 2018
Dealing with stresses can be difficult when you have to handle them both internal and externally. A better system needs to be established to assist operators and dispatchers, and to boost morale within the department.
Its an okay place to start a career
Transportation Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 29, 2018
Great job with good benefits. When you elevate in seniority you can basically pick how long of a day you work and your off days. Stay to yourself to avoid drama as with any job.
Provides opportunities of developing professional skills
Telecommunications Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 25, 2018
Good place to work with man benefits. Not too many opportunuties for advancement in certain departments. Must be flexible in work schedule in case of unexpected cal offs.
Meh
Elections Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 12, 2018
Supervisors were good. Nice people to work with. Pay and chance for advancement in this department, poor. Some borderline nepotism occurring. Archaic organizational system. Needs updates badly.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
pay, chance for advancement