City of Detroit Employee Reviews

friendly
Pmh/La (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 3, 2018
a typical day working for the City of Detroit you meet a lot of new people and learn a lot far as cutting and maintenance parks. The management is very poor
Job was a typical day at work
Motor Vehicle I Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 31, 2018
The job was enjoyable but was only seasonal. Would have liked to work more hours but the requirements were only during the summer months. The most enjoyable part was working with my coworkers.
Pros
Ability to work
Cons
Not enough hours
Extremely unprofessional and unfair work environment
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2018
The City of Detroit lacks oversight and accountability for management and employees. Supervisor are free to bully, isolate and harass employees. They are allowed to promote and give raises to family and friends. Supervisor are allowed to purposely stifle and hinder quality employees based on personal feelings. Upper management does nothing to discipline incompetent Supervisors and allow them to violate employee rights at will.
Great Job
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2018
Working here was an amazing experience I enjoyed all the things I learned it was the best job I ever had. Hope to get a job as exciting again one day.
The job enviroment was different but my co workers were amazing
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  1301 East WarrenOctober 25, 2018
This place needs to be managed better and need to informed the citizens more effectively when it comes to information and they need to value their employees more and should also come up with a grace period so ppl wont be late for their shifts
Pros
You meet different people everyday, I have the ability to get as many overtime hours as possible once hired in.
Cons
The lack of moral of the company, and respect that you received from some of the managers is ridiculous.
Hard to advance unless you are a private associate of management
Executive Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2018
Managers love to micro-manage even when it is not needed. Very had to advance unless you know management personally. It is very hard to get appropriate raises even when they are only step increases, you have to remember to ask about it to get it. The hardest part of the job is knowing that you are a great employee that does exceptional work, have not had any problems in 21 years, and although you are asked to do "special projects", that does not include a raise, just overtime.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Lack good managers
Workplace Culture
Election Clerica Assistant (ECA) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 9, 2018
The workplace most times was way too relaxed once I completed my work assignment way ahead of time, and of which there was way too many days that I got bored because not enough work to do for rest of the day when I had completed my work assignment way too early.
Pros
Great Team Work environment
Cons
no holdiay pay for seasonal employee nor health benefits for seasonal employees, and sbreaks too short for seasonal employee
Can be stressful...
Emergency Services Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 1, 2018
Dealing with stresses can be difficult when you have to handle them both internal and externally. A better system needs to be established to assist operators and dispatchers, and to boost morale within the department.
Its an okay place to start a career
Transportation Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 29, 2018
Great job with good benefits. When you elevate in seniority you can basically pick how long of a day you work and your off days. Stay to yourself to avoid drama as with any job.
Provides opportunities of developing professional skills
Telecommunications Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 25, 2018
Good place to work with man benefits. Not too many opportunuties for advancement in certain departments. Must be flexible in work schedule in case of unexpected cal offs.

Want to know more about City of Detroit?

Ask a question
Meh
Elections Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 12, 2018
Supervisors were good. Nice people to work with. Pay and chance for advancement in this department, poor. Some borderline nepotism occurring. Archaic organizational system. Needs updates badly.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
pay, chance for advancement
You have to be a servant leader to get the most from this position
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 23, 2018
I loved serving the City of Detroit as a member of the Detroit Police Department. I dedicated my entire adult life to the mission, service and enrichment of others. It is important to be or quickly become a great listener, have common sense and fast decision maker. Be energetic, and diverse in your people skills.
Pros
You will never have a dull day, and you can make a difference in other's lives with your service to the community.
Cons
The loss of benefits upon retiring
We need help with illegal dumpings
Detroit (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 21, 2018
Role call, wait to get called for an assignment. Get assignment and go do the route given to you.
You may get called off the site to do an emergency, Do a pre/ Post trip to Vehicle. Wash vehicle, Fuel vehicle.
The hardest part was waiting for your assignment.
I truly love working with heavy Equipment.
The people where the spirit of the job most where cool
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 18, 2018
I enjoyed working because I represented my city which I was born in so it really made me feel like I was active in my community and most people where cool but knowing you was responsible for the cleaning of a city made the days long because you always new work was basically unlimited
Pros
I worked in my city and people where funny
Cons
Not enough pay for such a job nor title
Horrible Place to Work, Especially in OFCO Contracting and Procurement
Procurement (Former Employee) –  DetroitAugust 13, 2018
This was the WORSE career decision I've ever made, the department is totally unprofessional. The leadership doesn't know how to lead properly and has no respect of their employees.

ALL MONEY AINT GOOD MONEY!!!
Depending on the department, it can be very stressful and time consuming.
Office Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2018
The City of Detroit is a great place to work for those seeking experience and advancement. However, the advancement can sometimes depend on who you know.
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Pay
Productive place to work
Executive Manager - Fiscal (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2018
I have enjoyed my time with the City of Detroit. The people I work with and have met are really friendly. As long as you perform your duties, there have been no hard liners.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Police cadet
Police Cadet (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2018
It was cool i was working with the seniors in learning how to cook we played board games watched movies made desserts we always had a grate time we played card games
There is extremely marginal room for advancement.
GENERAL SERICE DEPARTMENT (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 29, 2018
My Dept. Is comprised of skilled trades e.g., carpentry, electrical, HVAC, &Plumbing. However, it seems that if you desire to learn a trade, or you come in semi-skilled, there ia little to no room for advancement/Apprenticeship.
Pros
You do get consideration for in house transfer, and a few perks
Cons
Its a very isolated work environment. Personality determines hiw one advances.
Never again in my career life! Toxic place to work. Poor leadership.
(short-term contract) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 29, 2018
Toxic place to work and poor leadership. Favoritism of employee's, antiquated technology and software. The older employees are rude. Well, anyone that has worked there for a long very long time in certain departments have nasty attitudes.