City of Detroit Employee Reviews

You have to be a servant leader to get the most from this position
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 23, 2018
I loved serving the City of Detroit as a member of the Detroit Police Department. I dedicated my entire adult life to the mission, service and enrichment of others. It is important to be or quickly become a great listener, have common sense and fast decision maker. Be energetic, and diverse in your people skills.
Pros
You will never have a dull day, and you can make a difference in other's lives with your service to the community.
Cons
The loss of benefits upon retiring
The people where the spirit of the job most where cool
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 18, 2018
I enjoyed working because I represented my city which I was born in so it really made me feel like I was active in my community and most people where cool but knowing you was responsible for the cleaning of a city made the days long because you always new work was basically unlimited
Pros
I worked in my city and people where funny
Cons
Not enough pay for such a job nor title
Horrible Place to Work, Especially in OFCO Contracting and Procurement
Procurement (Former Employee) –  DetroitAugust 13, 2018
This was the WORSE career decision I've ever made, the department is totally unprofessional. The leadership doesn't know how to lead properly and has no respect of their employees.

ALL MONEY AINT GOOD MONEY!!!
Depending on the department, it can be very stressful and time consuming.
Office Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 9, 2018
The City of Detroit is a great place to work for those seeking experience and advancement. However, the advancement can sometimes depend on who you know.
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Pay
Productive place to work
Executive Manager - Fiscal (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2018
I have enjoyed my time with the City of Detroit. The people I work with and have met are really friendly. As long as you perform your duties, there have been no hard liners.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Police cadet
Police Cadet (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2018
It was cool i was working with the seniors in learning how to cook we played board games watched movies made desserts we always had a grate time we played card games
There is extremely marginal room for advancement.
GENERAL SERICE DEPARTMENT (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 29, 2018
My Dept. Is comprised of skilled trades e.g., carpentry, electrical, HVAC, &Plumbing. However, it seems that if you desire to learn a trade, or you come in semi-skilled, there ia little to no room for advancement/Apprenticeship.
Pros
You do get consideration for in house transfer, and a few perks
Cons
Its a very isolated work environment. Personality determines hiw one advances.
Never again in my career life! Toxic place to work. Poor leadership.
(short-term contract) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 29, 2018
Toxic place to work and poor leadership. Favoritism of employee's, antiquated technology and software. The older employees are rude. Well, anyone that has worked there for a long very long time in certain departments have nasty attitudes.
Laid back work place freedom
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 25, 2018
I jus need more money it aint enough in city of detroit it got nice benifits but after taxes its no money and it be to much drama i jus need more for my family
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Not enough money
Election Poll Working is very important. The process of Election Day is one of those rights to serve.
Polling Site Assessor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2018
To work as an elections inspector, chairperson or polling site assessor is gratifying to know that You have worked within a process that ensures each voter that their vote is processed professionally.
Pros
One day of work for decent pay.
Cons
Long day when voting turn out is low.

Want to know more about City of Detroit?

Ask a question
Productive but yet a cool place to work
Park Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 23, 2018
Been here for years and I love the work but the management is just a little unorganized. I can deal with it because the hours are nice and it pays the bills but barely.
City of Detroit is a good place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 11, 2018
Detroit offer great jobs that have benefits. Most jobs have pay risers and a change to be promoted. You get to learn how the city work and get involved with interested people.
Pros
Paid lunch hours
Cons
Short breaks
productive and fun place
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 30, 2018
management was great. employees were great. learned a lot. worked in a lot of different divisions. was able to celebrate and eat food. committed. productive
Potential
Information Technician II (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 26, 2018
Just coming out of a bankruptcy so it seems to be headed in right direction even at a snails pace and the pay needs to be more competitive with industry standards
Great People and Outlook for the OCFO
(former) Sr. Business Process Analyst - contract (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 19, 2018
Briefly, I worked a contract for the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. While it didn't work out for me, I can honestly state that (IMHO) they are really working to clean up and optimize the City's financial business processes. This is a huge endeavor, and a very, very difficult one. The deputies and other new management are progressive-minded people who are collaborative and hands-on. The "old guard" are also very accessible and want to provide what guidance they can. The analysts hired are an excellent team with specific skills very suited to unravel this type of ambiguity. I wish this group and the CoD best of luck as they wade through the riddles left behind by previous administrations.
Pros
A positive and determined vibe
Cons
N/a
It's a productive workplace - we answer a lot of police runs
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 17, 2018
I enjoy my job. A typical day would include the items I mentioned in my resume. I like helping the citizens with their problems. I've learned how to handle stressful situations and not become overwhelmed. The hardest part of the job is working with newly hired police officers who don't like to listen.The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that when someone needed the police, I was able to assist them with their matter.
Police Life in the City of Detroit
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  City of Detroit, MIApril 12, 2018
Life as a Police Officer is challenging, stressful, sad, fulfilling and rewarding day to day. A Police Officer is introduced to many types of people, personalities, and situations and this provides several opportunities to learn social skills in communicating and working with citizens.
It doesn't pay to be a loyal employee anymore.
BUSINESS SYSTEMS SUPPORT SPECIALIST I (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 12, 2018
I work in Human Resources Payroll Division, it is always and I mean always hectic!! There is no consistent management styles. With the newer employees being put into positions of authority without the knowledge or the experience of the division they are overseeing.
Pros
I have a job.
Cons
It's with the City of Detroit after the Bankrupcy.
Extremely stressful work environment
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 30, 2018
City in termoil, hours 13-15 a day. Equipment not quality. Poorly trained management constantly breaking down. Losing Benifits hostile environment I gained a tremendous amount of experience
Working for the Elections Department was rewarding.
Election Commission Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 28, 2018
This job gave me the insights on how government works. I was able to see how voters cast their ballots. The most enjoyable job was to assist voters on voting including elected officials.