City of Detroit Employee Reviews

City of Detroit is a good place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 11, 2018
Detroit offer great jobs that have benefits. Most jobs have pay risers and a change to be promoted. You get to learn how the city work and get involved with interested people.
Pros
Paid lunch hours
Cons
Short breaks
productive and fun place
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 30, 2018
management was great. employees were great. learned a lot. worked in a lot of different divisions. was able to celebrate and eat food. committed. productive
Potential
Information Technician II (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 26, 2018
Just coming out of a bankruptcy so it seems to be headed in right direction even at a snails pace and the pay needs to be more competitive with industry standards
Great People and Outlook for the OCFO
(former) Sr. Business Process Analyst - contract (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 19, 2018
Briefly, I worked a contract for the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. While it didn't work out for me, I can honestly state that (IMHO) they are really working to clean up and optimize the City's financial business processes. This is a huge endeavor, and a very, very difficult one. The deputies and other new management are progressive-minded people who are collaborative and hands-on. The "old guard" are also very accessible and want to provide what guidance they can. The analysts hired are an excellent team with specific skills very suited to unravel this type of ambiguity. I wish this group and the CoD best of luck as they wade through the riddles left behind by previous administrations.
Pros
A positive and determined vibe
Cons
N/a
It's a productive workplace - we answer a lot of police runs
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 17, 2018
I enjoy my job. A typical day would include the items I mentioned in my resume. I like helping the citizens with their problems. I've learned how to handle stressful situations and not become overwhelmed. The hardest part of the job is working with newly hired police officers who don't like to listen.The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that when someone needed the police, I was able to assist them with their matter.
Police Life in the City of Detroit
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  City of Detroit, MIApril 12, 2018
Life as a Police Officer is challenging, stressful, sad, fulfilling and rewarding day to day. A Police Officer is introduced to many types of people, personalities, and situations and this provides several opportunities to learn social skills in communicating and working with citizens.
It doesn't pay to be a loyal employee anymore.
BUSINESS SYSTEMS SUPPORT SPECIALIST I (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 12, 2018
I work in Human Resources Payroll Division, it is always and I mean always hectic!! There is no consistent management styles. With the newer employees being put into positions of authority without the knowledge or the experience of the division they are overseeing.
Pros
I have a job.
Cons
It's with the City of Detroit after the Bankrupcy.
Extremely stressful work environment
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 30, 2018
City in termoil, hours 13-15 a day. Equipment not quality. Poorly trained management constantly breaking down. Losing Benifits hostile environment I gained a tremendous amount of experience
Working for the Elections Department was rewarding.
Election Commission Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 28, 2018
This job gave me the insights on how government works. I was able to see how voters cast their ballots. The most enjoyable job was to assist voters on voting including elected officials.
great place to work for job security.
Building Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 26, 2018
flexibility were good.it was fast past at times
staffing was ok,working with unions ans contractors made to job much more challenging,but much experience was gained by doing so.. the hardest day on the job was when we had 20 inches of snow to remove.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Health care not enough
Very Good work environment
Housing Underwriter II/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 16, 2018
Enjoy my environment and job. Community setting and everyone works together towards a common goal. The department is very diverse and we learn many things about each other that has enhanced our knowledge and dispelled untruths about many cultures.
Pros
relaxability
Fun and productive
Firefighter/EMT (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 9, 2018
Great working environment. Learned several social skills working with a diverse of race, ages and cultures. Mostly enjoy servicing the public. Most enjoyable moments included working holidays
Excellent place for growth.
DETROIT (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 4, 2018
Enjoyed working with people with daily growth from one department to the next. There's exciting customer's in which you meet daily, and having great customer service then it's always exciting.
Great work environment
Grant administration professional (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 27, 2018
Easy going tasks and part of big picture, great story telling environment, cool coworkers. Will get to input and showcase your ideas. Flexibility in start hour and no pressure work.
It's not bad for something short term
Employee (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 19, 2018
Things at the City are badly organized and the work culture is lacking. Progress isn't necessarily based on performance but in many cases is related to who you know. HR is all over the place and it can be difficult to get anything done on time (documents are often lost and some personnel are rude and unaccommodating). It's not bad for something short term, perhaps 1-3 years, but you might find yourself stuck professionally if you stick around too long.
Pros
Benefits offered
Cons
Supervisors are either great or horrible, no room for advancement
Work day
Superintendent of OperationsSuperintendent (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 10, 2018
Long at times , very hard work at times learn a lot working for the city of Detroit.oversee 30 to 40 people in charge of facility maintenance for nine departments and 149 buildings carpentry electrical boiler operation you have good days and bad more good than bad
Pros
Job security
Cons
Pension concerns
Good Job
Parking meter repairman (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 3, 2018
IAppreciated the opportunities, training, education. Promotions and experience i gained from that employment with the city of Detroit. Employment with the city of Detroit has prepared me for vertrially any job from entry-level to middle management from laborer to computer skilled. Mechanical skills to vehicle operator skills including high lo's to pulling trailers. Advancements and educational opportunities were regularly posted with mandatory refresher courses with advancement and replinisment of vacant positios in the system thru retirements,terminations,promotions and newly created titles etc. The dissection of tbe city of Detroit from the water and sewage departments to become the Detroit Authority is now under control of board members instead of city owned operators which has changed the dynamics of employment with the city of Detroit.
Pros
Great teaching, learning, training and educational period in my life
Cons
Bankruptcy
N/a
Labor Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 30, 2018
I work for the city of Detroit an it is very stressful. Long hot days an cold winter blizzards. Lack of hours an poorly rate of pay. It take a hole year to recover a raise in your benefits.
Pros
Health care
Cons
Poorly pay
Good job if you want to be paid to do nothing all day
Human Resource Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 29, 2018
I would not recommend working for this department unless you want to see it around all day and get paid to do nothing. I guess that's the citizen tax dollars at work. Management has no standard of doing things and when workers were out of the office they never checked to see if that was where they were. Management worried more about what those lowest on the payroll were doing instead of the employees they were paying the high paying salary. If the city goes bankrupt again it will not surprise. I was tired of hearing we are a reactive organization and not proactive. I guess that what they consider good business practice.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Poorly managed organization
Human Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 26, 2018
Many management staff had poor management skills. The culture wasn't positive, and people did what they wanted to do. I wouldn't recommend working here, unless it's for a short period of time.
Cons
Staff knew more than managers