City of Durham, NC Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
great learming experience
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 21, 2018
Great job to learn a particular trade. Howeverit takes year for career advancement. one needs to work multiple jobs to make ends meet after taxes, however , great place for young operators
Very productive
Water Treatment Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 19, 2018
It was really nice working for the city of Durham I really was very motivated to come to work everyday and it really was nice ....the workers there were very kind and the work was done as a team
Amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 15, 2018
It was a great experience to work in the city's budget dept. I learned about city government. I met so many wonderful people in other departments also
Positive work enviorment
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 9, 2018
What can I say, it is like any other job. you get want you out into it. the most positive is the Great environment - great balance of work and life. The pay might be lower but it about the long haul. Its not short a term job.
productive and informative
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 4, 2018
Morning actives included but not limited to entering inspection reports into the computer system and generating notices of violations.Performing daily field inspections for code violations. Communicating with supervisor about any concerns. I have gained experience in learning how the inspection process is implemented in NC. Management and workplace culture are the same as inspection departments in that most individuals are looking to do quality work. There really is no hardest part to work with in this position for me. The most enjoyable part is the results of the process being fair to homeowners and compliance.
Heavy Equipment Operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 20, 2018
I enjoyed work with Public Works. I was allowed to learn many new jobs. on any given day I might find myself cleaning out local streams and rivers, or working inside of a storm drain. It was exciting
Pros
many opportunities to advance
Productive Work Environment
Facility Engineer / Senior Construction s Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 17, 2018
Management Meetings
Inspections
Plans Review
Design
Construction Operations
Facility Engineering Review
GSI Location
Multiple Inspections and changing from a variety of general construction projects
Pros
Good Health Care
Cons
Changing Managemnt
productive and informative, and innovative daily
Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 7, 2018
Typical day starts with a 7AM meeting with all employees. This is were we would plan the days activities in the field. We would prioritize jobs everyday. I have learned a tremendous amount about how city government works and some of the endless amounts of bureaucracy that can accompany this type of job. As with any large company management seemed top heavy and sometimes appeared not to be very approachable. Workplace culture was at times full of camaraderie and at other times could be difficult and stressful. The hardest part of the job was the variable hours especially on the weekends. The most enjoyable part o f the job was the daily variety.
Pros
Good benefits
proactive at the city of durham
Storm water Inspector (Former Employee) –  City of duehamMarch 2, 2018
When you are proactive you work to create your own opportunities, and you work to anticipate the changes that may come in your career so that you can make them work to your advantage. Becoming proactive in the workplace requires developing disciplined habits
Pros
proactive
Typical Government environment
Sr. Contracts & Fiscal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 1, 2018
Busy fast paced environment with every changing policies and procedures. Good educated leadership and opportunity to grow within your position. Flexible work schedules.
great place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 16, 2018
nice place to work and curtious people work there easy to get there not long at all got to know a lot of people there I loved doiny my job and a great oppuntunity to advance
Productive and fun
Recreation Service Aid (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 21, 2017
Everyday was typically laid back. The management is great and they are very helpful when it comes to making your shifts flexible. I am a part time employee so we did not receive benefits.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Hard to obtain individual promotion
Average
Housing Task Force Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 9, 2017
Interning at Durham City Hall was not as exciting as expected. I often felt like I was intruding rather than appreciated. I wanted to learn more about government.
HORRIBLE management/training for the 911 Center
Communications Officer/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 7, 2017
Until a complete overhaul is completed at this agency, there is no way in heck anyone should go to work there. I have done 911 communications for over 18 years and this place actually killed any passion I had for the job. Do yourself a favor and go work ANYWHERE else than here.
Great Place to Work
Senior Laborer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 14, 2017
Typical day at work is helping the city make improvements. You learn to be patient and learn many trades. The managment and workplace culture is great
Pros
work, benefits, team work, management
excellent
Sr. Laborer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 3, 2017
it was an amazing experience, met a lot of amazing people within my hometown and enjoyed providing them with services no matter the work conditions. stress free to be exact.
City of Durham is a good place to work.
Comunity Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 1, 2017
I enjoyed working for the city of Durham, great employees to reach out to when you need assistance with an issue. Supportive leadership. Provided opportunity for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Managers, co-workers
Engaged and active work environment
Coordinator IT Governance (Current Employee) –  City HallAugust 29, 2017
I feel very fortunate to be in a department that directly serves every department within the City. The subject matter is constantly changing so it stays interesting. Management is committed to providing the staff the resources needed to perform while on the job and very respectful of time away from the job.

I love Durham and I feel that working for the City is the best way to be engaged with the community.
Pros
Incredible benefits
Cons
Limited resources
Stressful place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  1833 Camden AvenueAugust 29, 2017
Stressful, didn't learn much, management didn't care about the employees, workplace was okay, the hardest part of the job was the heat, rain, and fast pace work
Pros
Na
Cons
Healthcare
Solid Place to Work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 28, 2017
The City of Durham is a pretty good place to work. There are some negatives that come with it, but most of them have to do with the fact that you are working in local government and not Durham itself. If you can move past the slowness at which things get done, then you will probably enjoy your time here. Leadership looks to be innovative here most of the time, and employees are treated well. Work hard, ask the right questions, and be respectful and you'll accomplish a lot here.
Pros
good work-life balance, good pay and benefits
Cons
internal politics, departments keep to themselves, cynical at times