City of Durham, NC Employee Reviews

Fun group of people to work with
Internal Audit Assistant NCCU (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 18, 2019
Typically I would just follow all instructions given and audit the local building on campus for NCCU. We went to just about every building on campus and depending on the area we would audit the tools or items and gather the numbers to report back to the office.
Cons
Only a summer time job
Productive and exciting place to workl
Plant Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 1, 2019
Management and coworkers worked well together. Great company to work for with great benefits. Very family oriented. I strongly recommend the City Of Durham
benefits
Cons
great friendly environment
Lacking the values in what they stand for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 4, 2019
Theres no integrity for these departments.
They buy faulty equipment and let the people deal with it.
You bring it to their attention and they turn a blind eye.
Customer service sucks everyone is usually in a bad mood and they lose documents easily. Phones queues last forever.
Teamwork- everyone is not into this they either work well together or try to step on others persons toes.
Leadership- is terrible, they have no leadership skills they dont motivate team members nor do they take actions for their roles. Such developing people.
Open communication- communication is at all time low noone communicates with other departments, you either find things out because someone was nosy and overheard or it slips out during a conversation.
Fairness- is long overdue management blames employees for everything that goes wrong and this goes back to the leadership part they dont care.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Fun Workplace
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 25, 2019
Great chance to bond and create stable environments for the youth of Durham to express themselves productively and safely. It was a fun environment and very relaxed.
Good Employer
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 2, 2019
The City has it's pros and cons like any other employer; however pay and benefits separate it from many other employers. Strong benefits package. xx
Helpful and productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 9, 2018
NCWorks was a excellent place to work for. Helped guide a lot of people and was resourceful. Wasn’t just a building for job searching, they also helped built resumes, set up on the spot interviews, and etc
Great Benefits and Job Security
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 8, 2018
Great place to work. Guaranteed over 40+ hours a week. Multiple different departments to work in. Excavations / Meters / Hydrants and Valves / Sewer / Outfall. Very large Work force of 180+ people.
Management needs updating
Benefits
Cons
Mandatory On Call Rotation
N/a
Senior Utilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 1, 2018
Drove all day long by myself, I learned nothing except how to drive routes with using a tablet and GPS. Management was not very helpful or even interested in helping employees with personal issues. Everyone is all about themselves it's not a team effort. The hardest part of the job was not giving employees opportunities for advancement or complete mandatory training. Best part about the job is that I was alone by myself all day long.
very good place to work
Attendant, Cashier, Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 31, 2018
i learned CPR First Aid And how to use a AED machine. i also learned skills to save a life in case of a swimming pool accident. you will have benefits and life long skills
I recommend working at the city of Durham
Utility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 4, 2018
The city of Durham tends to be a very slow environment to work in, then all of a sudden you get plenty of work and you might work a 65 hour week. Great benefits and decent pay.
faced paced customer service
Front Desk Attendant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 3, 2018
I am the first point of contact as you enter the facility. I check customers into the facility by entering their information into the system. Answer questions regarding he facility programs over the phone and in person. Handle cash drawer making sure all paperwork is equal to drawer. I am also responsible for closing and locking up facility at the end of the day.
Poor
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 24, 2018
Policies and procedures could be much better// systems and technology are mediocre

Management and employee relations are horrible
The cons of working for the city of durham : money// work life balance
The pros of working for the city of durham :: hire internally// benefits
great learming experience
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 21, 2018
Great job to learn a particular trade. Howeverit takes year for career advancement. one needs to work multiple jobs to make ends meet after taxes, however , great place for young operators
Very productive
Water Treatment Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 19, 2018
It was really nice working for the city of Durham I really was very motivated to come to work everyday and it really was nice ....the workers there were very kind and the work was done as a team
Amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 15, 2018
It was a great experience to work in the city's budget dept. I learned about city government. I met so many wonderful people in other departments also
Positive work enviorment
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 9, 2018
What can I say, it is like any other job. you get want you out into it. the most positive is the Great environment - great balance of work and life. The pay might be lower but it about the long haul. Its not short a term job.
productive and informative
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 4, 2018
Morning actives included but not limited to entering inspection reports into the computer system and generating notices of violations.Performing daily field inspections for code violations. Communicating with supervisor about any concerns. I have gained experience in learning how the inspection process is implemented in NC. Management and workplace culture are the same as inspection departments in that most individuals are looking to do quality work. There really is no hardest part to work with in this position for me. The most enjoyable part is the results of the process being fair to homeowners and compliance.
Heavy Equipment Operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 20, 2018
I enjoyed work with Public Works. I was allowed to learn many new jobs. on any given day I might find myself cleaning out local streams and rivers, or working inside of a storm drain. It was exciting
Pros
many opportunities to advance
Productive Work Environment
Facility Engineer / Senior Construction s Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 17, 2018
Management Meetings
Inspections
Plans Review
Design
Construction Operations
Facility Engineering Review
GSI Location
Multiple Inspections and changing from a variety of general construction projects
Pros
Good Health Care
Cons
Changing Managemnt
productive and informative, and innovative daily
Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 7, 2018
Typical day starts with a 7AM meeting with all employees. This is were we would plan the days activities in the field. We would prioritize jobs everyday. I have learned a tremendous amount about how city government works and some of the endless amounts of bureaucracy that can accompany this type of job. As with any large company management seemed top heavy and sometimes appeared not to be very approachable. Workplace culture was at times full of camaraderie and at other times could be difficult and stressful. The hardest part of the job was the variable hours especially on the weekends. The most enjoyable part o f the job was the daily variety.
Pros
Good benefits