City of El Paso Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Employer
EMT-Basic Trainee (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 5, 2018
The City of El Paso is a great employer. There are opportunities to advance in your career. I would definitely accept a position with the City of El Paso if the opportunity presented itself.
Good Place to work
Investment Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 13, 2018
Housing was different from what I was use to but loved what I did. They do a lot of resident functions which was nice to see every one interact. Would like to go back one day.
Manageable
RECREATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 1, 2018
I have been working for the CIty for more than 10 years.I feel like the position advancement is very slow. there are no pay raises that will help you.
Stressful and somewhat hostile work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 20, 2018
Working here let me to see that its all about sucking up to your supervisors, your work performance will not better your chances in advancement/raises. Your worth ethic nor output does not play a factor in your evaluations.
Pros
health benefits/retirement
Cons
favoritism
Stsressful, backstabbing and very poor management
Lead Worker (Former Employee) –  El Paso TexasJanuary 10, 2018
I have nothing to say about ESD, where I worked. Terrible environment, management and coworkers. From the time I started with the City it was ok. But from 2014 to my time of retirement I went through very hard and backstabbing events that I was forced to retire. I would not recommend working for this department.
Pros
Not in ESD, very poor management
Cons
Terrible place to work
not what it used to be
Facilities Worker (Current Employee) –  El PasoJanuary 3, 2018
I have been with the city of 8 years, I have not seen a raise in 8 years that positively affect my take home pay, on the contrary this is the only company I have worked for and lost money on my check every year. Insurance goes up but the city will not compensate the increase. So be prepared to lose money. oh yea, and if you quit, they steal some of your retirement, you don't get it all back.
Pros
Cons
your gonna lose money on your check every year. The city does NOT take care of you.
customer relations and people interaction with all city depts.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 26, 2017
My typical day work was warehousing, data entry, inventory control, asset reporting on all city depts. expenditures, purchases, and losses.
I learned what depts. duties, and resources for performance, and end results.
Management varied depending on changes of management personnel.
workplace culture in my area was very good because the experiences were very positive.
the hardest part of my job was the asset reporting because department's recordkeeping was difficult to reconcile because their figures not always match because they never kept tally of losses or records on their part.
my enjoyable part was that I learned and saw the department's duties and how the resources purchased were used on their jobs.
example fire dept and police depts. assets, and the people how we worked together and how I enjoyed helping them with their needs and their individual mangement appreciation. I then retired from the city.
Pros
Contact interacting with depts
Cons
no pay raises as promised, but more work given not with job duty description, and we dealt with high insurance costs
Decent benefits, reactionary not proactive management
Community Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 8, 2017
Guidelines and trainings come up when something comes up or goes wrong. It can be a fun environment if you are self motivated. You get to be around physical fitness which can be rewarding if that's what you are in to.
Pros
vacation days
Cons
little administrative support
Good job atmosphere
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TX 79925October 2, 2017
I was fortunate in that I worked in the legal department which had only 4 positions: lead attorney, associate attorney, paralegal & legal secretary. I was a paralegal working directly with the associate attorney. While the water department as a whole was a very competitive and stressful place to work, my department was not. The attorney with whom I worked was great; allowed me a lot of autonomy and freedom; gave me assignments with deadlines & let me run with it. Taught me a lot.
Pros
flexibility; small atmosphere
Cons
lots of hoops & red tape
To provide our citizens the best service
Deputy Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso County, TXOctober 1, 2017
Working for the City of El Paso makes you feel known. The city not only takes cares of their citizens but when you work for the city you are well taken care of.
Pros
Retirement
Challenging work environment
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 22, 2017
As a Human Resources Manager and as the Communications Manager I learned a lot. The workplace culture is team centered and for the most part I enjoyed my almost 15 years with the City.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Promotions were slow
ok
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 13, 2017
little pay , laid back. honestly the culture their is not that great. not good coworkers. the vacation and the healthcare are the biggest perks of the jobs.
Great place to work, can be stressful at times but I fell it to be rewarding
911 Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 11, 2017
I enjoyed working with 911. It felt like family there, everyone took care of one another. Atmosphere was calm and we worked as a team. Supervisors were always there to help us when needed.
Pros
They made us feel appreciated
Cons
Had to work double shift at times
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 22, 2017
City Manager, Council, & Mayor dictate all actions of the city and personnel. Ten hour work days are great, and the three day weekends aren't bad either. Co-workers make working here less stressful.
Low morale
Budget (Current Employee) –  EL PASOAugust 13, 2017
Little opportunities to advance unless you are young and a recent college grad. Years of expeience and knowledge count for nothing if no degree. High relacement rate.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Low pay, low chance of promotion
Excellent career opportunity
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 10, 2017
Developed professional skills in public policy. Great city leadership and executive team. Coworkers were great to work with and were open in sharing experiences and skills.
Fair Work envoirment
Research Assistant Police Department (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 12, 2017
Good work place. I learned a lot about myself through my interactions with a Spanish Culture. The job was challenging, but not too stressful. Work with police officers was a new experience for me.
Pros
Work envoirment.
Cons
Computer System
Good start up job.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 29, 2017
Business went out of business, employees got along. Mostly young employees. Lacks training for employees or advancement. Good was it was full time and overtime as well.got along with coworkers and management.
Pros
Full time.
Cons
No advancement, pay was low.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 4, 2017
WOrking and teaching children how to swim was a great experience. It was great to see all their faces and smiles. IT was seasonal so after the summer I had to find a different job.
Horrible Place To Work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 23, 2017
The pension for the city takes so much out of your check it's hard to live. They do not give annual pay raises or performance pay raises and there is just no room for opportunity to grow or flourish.