City of Eugene, OR Employee Reviews

Relaxed and positive organization to work for
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 10, 2018
The City of Eugene has a great culture, many opportunities for career advancement, and incredible benefits. Most of the people who worked for the City were passionate about their positions and were dedicated to the community. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Flexibility and Communication
Youth Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 10, 2018
A typical work day is very chaotic with about 100 students in one space. Often conflicts come up, where a staff may be sick and we have to figure out who is going to teach that staffs 15-20 kids along with their own class of 15-20 kids. To do this, we must be very flexible, things are always changing and we have to accommodate to those changes in the best way possible. In order to do this, we must have efficient communication. We have walkie-talkies and daily meetings to discuss what was difficult and what can be done better. I have learned how to publicly speak and give directions as well as lead a group of children. The culture is again, chaotic, but supportive, so we are able to get things done. The hardest part of the job would be maintaining the students' attention. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of knowing that I am making a difference in these kids' lives.
Great Coworkers
Responsible Event Intern (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 14, 2018
The people are great to work with and supportive of each other no matter if you are a senior director or a part-time employee. Laid-back culture reduces stress and makes working there a pleasure,
Passionate staff
RAE (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 27, 2018
Wide array of options to pursue within Recreation--staff are able to be creative and work toward individual desires. This makes for an environment where people are usually working in areas that are very important to them. It's really unique in that way.
Good For Students
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 6, 2018
Fairly laid-back pace as long as you stay attentive on the pool and polite to patrons. Don't need to be constantly interacting with customers as many of them do not interact with you, especially when lifeguarding.. Can do homework when on breaks

Pool patrons at Sheldon are easygoing, much more so than any customers you might interact with in foodservice.

Being a swim instructor can be pretty fun if you know how to play with children and like being with them. Classes are fairly small so it's less overwhelming than other places. Class caps range from 4 for the early levels, to 8 for the best swimmers under the age of 14, to 15 for parent-child classes. Most classes have less than 6 students overall
Good people, good work, good pay, great benefits
Wastewater Facilities Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 2, 2018
There are a lot of great people who work here. It is a diverse atmosphere and that works well in most cases. There are cultural gaps between some work groups but that is expected in a large organization. There are a lot of great jobs in this organization and the benefits are excellent even compared to other public agencies.
Pros
growth opportunity
Fun for part time,
Educator / Park Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 22, 2018
This got me going as an adult. It moved me into a shared living situation which got me going. I quickly outgrew it, but co-workers of mine have found it rewarding and stayed with it.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Cheap
Innovative Employer
Court Operations Specialist A (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 15, 2018
COE is an innovative employer, who promotes diversity and a healthy work/life balance. They encourage continued training, offer Acting In Capacity and career development opportunities.
Many opportunities of learning new skills
Seasonal Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 10, 2018
Great people to work with. Besides, working in the city doing a lot of different tasks helps enrich skills for future advancement. Working outdoors and getting to contribute with the maintenance age development of the beautiful natural areas of great Eugene.
Good Place to work.
Planning Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORDecember 29, 2017
A good place to work but difficult to get in. Sign up for employment opportunity notifications on their website. Room for advancement. Job growth available.
Awesome!
Outdoor Leader/Environmental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 13, 2017
Gotta love everyone at the Riverhouse Outdoor Program. Great offerings to the public to get out and enjoy the environment. Rafting, tree climbing, Challenge course, Sailing, snowshoeing, and the list goes on and on.
Good Job, horrible atmosphere
N/A (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 11, 2017
This is one of the best jobs I have had with regards to my personal growth. The down side is it is a poor place to find job satisfaction and purpose. With constant input from management that you are not performing enough, your work isn't good enough and that customers are never happy with you, makes for a very stressful environment.

There are some great co-workers and good managers, but they are in tight spots as well as the system is more set against anyone who wants to make things better. Mostly run by controlling individuals that like to manipulate, insult you and push you to the breaking point daily.

There needs to be a change in how people are treated, how things are managed and let new voices be heard and appreciated. Not going to change any time soon though.
Pros
Good pay, beneifits
Cons
Horrible atmospere with lack of support or decision making abilities.
It's easier to get elected.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2017
The city of Eugene does not generally offer full time positions to new employees. The managers I have had were wonderful. Their superiors however; did not work in our field, and would interrupt us with their presence. If you are able to get a full-time position, hold onto it.
Pros
6% retirement matching
Cons
Little vertical advancement available
Decent job
Maintenance Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 7, 2017
Satisfying but hard work. Team work was an essential part of the job. Safety culture was another essential part of the job. In all a rewarding and educational experience.
Pros
Lots of learning oppurtunities
Cons
Political.
Hard working crews with respectable leadership
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 17, 2017
A typical day of work was from 7am-3:30pm. The day would start with a meeting which would review the roles for the day and which areas that staff would be working. During this time, I learned how to work effectively as a team in order to complete jobs that would be difficult otherwise. The management was understanding and respectful even toward temporary employees such as myself. The overall workplace culture was upbeat which made even the hardest days more enjoyable.
Fun laid back job
Head Lifegaurd/ Recreation Activity Employee (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 30, 2017
Like going to work to hang out with friends. Very laid back environment with awesome support from supervisors. Extremely flexible schedules. Perfect job for students.
Positive
Facilities Maintenance Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 22, 2017
The city of Eugene was an excellent place to work. I learned a lot and have gained many skills. I will take those skills with me into the future.
Productive and fun workplace
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 13, 2016
I love working as a lifeguard and the City of Eugene is a fun place to work with a diverse group of coworkers to grow and learn with during the time I have been there.
An enjoyable atmosphere.
Aquatic Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 12, 2015
Developing programs to fit the needs of a very diverse community and teaching life-skills to the employees was very rewarding. Unfortunately, there was a large disconnect between the upper management of the City of Eugene and Aquatics and often their direction was in direct conflict with the best interest of the patrons.
A day in the park
Advisor and Coordinator of ACT-SO (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 23, 2015
It was wonderful to wake up and arrive at a park full of exciting and happy children ready for an awesome day. I learned how to be patient, react to positive and negative situations, and most of all love my job. Programs were gathered weeks prior for each week in the park and the co-workers helped this experience be even more entriguing. Their interaction and relationships with the children in the park kept the children coming back for more and more fun. The children would even continue to bring more children with them for fun rather than stay in the house and play indoors.The hardest part of the job was the minimal hours provided but playing and creating relationships with the children was worth more than the pay. Just to see them happy was all that mattered to me.
Pros
happiness, relationships, programming experience, and dedication
Cons
minimal pay and hours