City of Fort Lauderdale, FL Employee Reviews

If it’s part time, don’t bother
Event Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 17, 2019
Honestly, working part time at the City of Fort Lauderdale is a complete waste of time. There’s a little to no chance to get a full time position and the working conditions are subpar, dealing broken equipment and rats.
Pros
Cool coworkers
Challenging & fulfilling place of employment
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 6, 2019
10 hour workday, facing unknown and trying, potentially dangerous situations on a daily basis. Conflict resolution, domestic disturbances, burglaries, thefts, crash investigations.
Jeffrey Clement
McDonald's (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 24, 2018
Working at McDonald's is driving me crazy and I only work there one day and when I'm finished this know any stuff I can do sorry and I get less money that's what I'm trying to find a better job in the better things to do and I know I can do cool prep mechanics talk in maintenance or fix computers and do taxes
Pros
2 meals by day
Cons
Just 4 days of break that's it
Great City
Assistant Electrician -Miami (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
Want a beautiful Florida beach without a crazy party scene? Fort Lauderdale Beach may be just what you're looking for. Here you'll find a calmer and less chaotic version of Miami Beach – but with the same sugary sands and crystal clear water. There are still parties, but you're more likely to find families relaxing or leisurely walking the waterline than raucous groups of college kids. Backing the shoreline, the palm tree-lined promenade bustles with visitors looking to shop and dine in the many establishments along it. There are also beach chair and water sports equipment rentals near the shore.

Recent visitors loved Fort Lauderdale Beach for its wide, expansive shoreline, with some noting that even when there were a lot of people, it didn't feel crowded. Many were also impressed with how clean the beach is, adding that its calm waters make it a great place to bring kids.
good working environment
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLSeptember 11, 2018
There were several things I learned working with the city of Ft. Lauderdale. I learned how to drive a dump truck. a garbage truck, I was able to obtain a CDL license
Pros
lots of leadership chances
Cons
old trucks
Productive fun work environment With good pay
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLAugust 28, 2018
A good work life balance. Compensation/Benefits is only a 2 because they only offer it to full time employees. Job security is great, just show that you can work hard and do what your asked. Don't be lazy and you'll be fine.
Pros
Down time cleaning
Cons
Hot
Alta
Supervisor de almacen (Former Employee) –  USAugust 17, 2018
Venta de ropa interior. Buena empresa, proyeccion de ascenso.
Professional and Supportive
Construction Worker II (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 31, 2018
Great organization, loved all my years in the City of Fort Lauderdale. Great Leadership within City Managers and lower level employees. I was within the Maintenance Department and have devoted more than 17 years and enjoyed every single one.
Pros
Great Managers and benefits
Cons
far away from my current residence
Very Productive
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 13, 2018
Working with the kids was fun and the days went bye pretty fast
the people there were good to work with there was no hard parts to the job that I saw the culture was ok.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
none that i saw
Great for work, life balance
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 21, 2018
I like working at the City. The Department of Sustainability has a great work culture. They hire 80% from within, but there are not many admin positions available so its like a rat race. The managers are very flexible and the work is not difficult or stressful.
Pros
work life balance, flexibility, training
Cons
not enough admin positions for staff to advance, bad internal communication, stagnant progression
City has a thorn
Chief Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 9, 2018
I was in charge of planting of all trees in the city. I had 5 people under me, I would get the locates for utilities and buy the trees. We would put them on the water trucks route. I planted an average of 7 trees a day.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Adminstration
ok
Custodian 1 (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 5, 2018
it was ok job ok job alright job if your ok with parttime good place if your a part time school student ok place pay was not good if you have your own place
Shifting Culture
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  City HallMay 3, 2018
The city of Fort Lauderdale, like many other government agencies, is now fully immersed in the concept of government 2.0. The reality of Gov 2.0 is that “getting more done with less”, is q clear path to burn out, unless a clear change in process has been initiated. The city is made up of a collection of its employees, and citizens. The city of Fort Lauderdale has done a good job of making sure that those two never get the opportunity to collaborate. .
Pros
People
Cons
Mismanagement
Daily Activity
Sr. Network Engineer/Architect (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301April 27, 2018
A typical workday would include working on active projects, performing system maintenance and extended efforts. I would also work to complete tickets as submitted by other stakeholders. I also provide technical guidance for my junior engineering as is required.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 4, 2018
I manage myself. I teach classes to 55+ year old retirees. There isn't anything difficult about my job. I actually enjoy what I do but I only work 8 hours a week.
Pros
I do what I love
Cons
Part time employment
Excellent place to work
Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 28, 2018
Great place to work, enjoy every thing about it. Supervisors are great, and always helpful. Can do well if you are a project manager or a CEO. I enjoy working here and plan on retiring from here.
Pros
Room for growth
reconsider
Occupancy Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 8, 2018
please re consider, a good place to start with no experience but after that move on.
over worked & underpaid
not appreciated by management
run for the hills if possible
Well organized
Aviation Regulatory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLMarch 2, 2018
I enjoy the aviation challenge and the growth in the work process. Communication with the staff, management and the owners at times was challenging, but the results proved to be successful. I look at challenge as an opportunity to grow.
Pros
Good atmosphier
Cons
Health plan could of been improved
Not a bad city to work for.
Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 9, 2018
I wish there was better advancement for employees with better pay and benefits. Some of the staff is lazy while the ones who work their butt off don't get recognized.
Excellent job
Public Works Utilities & Engineering Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 29, 2018
Great opportunity for advancement. Great atmosphere, working relations with the City Management, Engineers and Architects as well as the Public Works Director.
Pros
Positive job opportunity.