City of Fort Lauderdale, FL Employee Reviews

Productive fun work environment With good pay
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLAugust 28, 2018
A good work life balance. Compensation/Benefits is only a 2 because they only offer it to full time employees. Job security is great, just show that you can work hard and do what your asked. Don't be lazy and you'll be fine.
Pros
Down time cleaning
Cons
Hot
Great for work, life balance
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 21, 2018
I like working at the City. The Department of Sustainability has a great work culture. They hire 80% from within, but there are not many admin positions available so its like a rat race. The managers are very flexible and the work is not difficult or stressful.
Pros
work life balance, flexibility, training
Cons
not enough admin positions for staff to advance, bad internal communication, stagnant progression
Great City
Assistant Electrician -Miami (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
Want a beautiful Florida beach without a crazy party scene? Fort Lauderdale Beach may be just what you're looking for. Here you'll find a calmer and less chaotic version of Miami Beach – but with the same sugary sands and crystal clear water. There are still parties, but you're more likely to find families relaxing or leisurely walking the waterline than raucous groups of college kids. Backing the shoreline, the palm tree-lined promenade bustles with visitors looking to shop and dine in the many establishments along it. There are also beach chair and water sports equipment rentals near the shore.

Recent visitors loved Fort Lauderdale Beach for its wide, expansive shoreline, with some noting that even when there were a lot of people, it didn't feel crowded. Many were also impressed with how clean the beach is, adding that its calm waters make it a great place to bring kids.
Professional and Supportive
Construction Worker II (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 31, 2018
Great organization, loved all my years in the City of Fort Lauderdale. Great Leadership within City Managers and lower level employees. I was within the Maintenance Department and have devoted more than 17 years and enjoyed every single one.
Pros
Great Managers and benefits
Cons
far away from my current residence
Jeffrey Clement
McDonald's (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 24, 2018
Working at McDonald's is driving me crazy and I only work there one day and when I'm finished this know any stuff I can do sorry and I get less money that's what I'm trying to find a better job in the better things to do and I know I can do cool prep mechanics talk in maintenance or fix computers and do taxes
Pros
2 meals by day
Cons
Just 4 days of break that's it
Stressful and discriminating environment
CSR - T.A.M (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 19, 2018
Department is riddled with selfish managers and little to no respect for most employees. You are judged off of your looks, dress code or who likes you rather than work ethic or production. Favored employees can do no wrong and often can get their friends or significant other employed without going through the correct process of testing. Managers will also often ask you to complete tasks that they're assigned "to train you for the future" but will never acknowledge you active involvement in said tasks. Co-workers that have been there for years create a toxic environment. They will lie about you to everyone they can and won't won't know about it until people you've never even spoke to have a negative impression of you and show it. Overall, this is a top heavy department which continues to hire management positions while eliminating worker positions so staff will always be overworked.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Stressful environment, lack of communication, no room for earned advancement, micromanaging supervision, incompetent supervision
Very Productive
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 13, 2018
Working with the kids was fun and the days went bye pretty fast
the people there were good to work with there was no hard parts to the job that I saw the culture was ok.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
none that i saw
Challenging & fulfilling place of employment
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 6, 2019
10 hour workday, facing unknown and trying, potentially dangerous situations on a daily basis. Conflict resolution, domestic disturbances, burglaries, thefts, crash investigations.
Shifting Culture
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  City HallMay 3, 2018
The city of Fort Lauderdale, like many other government agencies, is now fully immersed in the concept of government 2.0. The reality of Gov 2.0 is that “getting more done with less”, is q clear path to burn out, unless a clear change in process has been initiated. The city is made up of a collection of its employees, and citizens. The city of Fort Lauderdale has done a good job of making sure that those two never get the opportunity to collaborate. .
Pros
People
Cons
Mismanagement
good working environment
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLSeptember 11, 2018
There were several things I learned working with the city of Ft. Lauderdale. I learned how to drive a dump truck. a garbage truck, I was able to obtain a CDL license
Pros
lots of leadership chances
Cons
old trucks
Not a bad city to work for.
Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 9, 2018
I wish there was better advancement for employees with better pay and benefits. Some of the staff is lazy while the ones who work their butt off don't get recognized.
City has a thorn
Chief Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 9, 2018
I was in charge of planting of all trees in the city. I had 5 people under me, I would get the locates for utilities and buy the trees. We would put them on the water trucks route. I planted an average of 7 trees a day.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Adminstration
Excellent job
Public Works Utilities & Engineering Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 29, 2018
Great opportunity for advancement. Great atmosphere, working relations with the City Management, Engineers and Architects as well as the Public Works Director.
Pros
Positive job opportunity.
Great family picnics
Greenspoon Marder (Former Employee) –  100 West Cypress Creek RoadOctober 2, 2015
Wonderful place to work, I loved working there. Sorry I had to leave. One day they just called me and told me that I was not working there anymore. I didn't get previous warning. I always got a great review. I honestly loved my job. I thought I was going to retired there. I loved my co-workers, we got along very well, except for the politics.
Pros
Great benefits, great management, great family picnics
Cons
they fired people without warning
Well organized
Aviation Regulatory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLMarch 2, 2018
I enjoy the aviation challenge and the growth in the work process. Communication with the staff, management and the owners at times was challenging, but the results proved to be successful. I look at challenge as an opportunity to grow.
Pros
Good atmosphier
Cons
Health plan could of been improved
Alta
Supervisor de almacen (Former Employee) –  USAugust 17, 2018
Venta de ropa interior. Buena empresa, proyeccion de ascenso.
Visual Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 7, 2017
The retail jobs offer good opportunities to make some money in general companies pay salary normally hourly, salary and commission or just commission with make this work environment very competitive, Florida receive a tremendous amount of tourist every year also the local that enjoy shopping, The experience to work in customer service and sales has been fantastic.
Pros
Discount in products, opportunity to grow professionally, benefits
Cons
Long work hours some times, No weekends
reconsider
Occupancy Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 8, 2018
please re consider, a good place to start with no experience but after that move on.
over worked & underpaid
not appreciated by management
run for the hills if possible
was a nice place to work in
Planning Internship (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 26, 2017
I lerned a lot fronm this internship. My typical day was to go and kearn different skills. My manager was ok. The workplace culture was quite competitive. The hardest part of the job was learning the new skills on the job. The most enjoyable part was learning new skills.
Daily Activity
Sr. Network Engineer/Architect (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301April 27, 2018
A typical workday would include working on active projects, performing system maintenance and extended efforts. I would also work to complete tickets as submitted by other stakeholders. I also provide technical guidance for my junior engineering as is required.