City of Fort Lauderdale, FL Employee Reviews

good working environment
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLSeptember 11, 2018
There were several things I learned working with the city of Ft. Lauderdale. I learned how to drive a dump truck. a garbage truck, I was able to obtain a CDL license
Pros
lots of leadership chances
Cons
old trucks
Productive fun work environment With good pay
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLAugust 28, 2018
A good work life balance. Compensation/Benefits is only a 2 because they only offer it to full time employees. Job security is great, just show that you can work hard and do what your asked. Don't be lazy and you'll be fine.
Pros
Down time cleaning
Cons
Hot
Alta
Supervisor de almacen (Former Employee) –  USAugust 17, 2018
Venta de ropa interior. Buena empresa, proyeccion de ascenso.
Professional and Supportive
Construction Worker II (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 31, 2018
Great organization, loved all my years in the City of Fort Lauderdale. Great Leadership within City Managers and lower level employees. I was within the Maintenance Department and have devoted more than 17 years and enjoyed every single one.
Pros
Great Managers and benefits
Cons
far away from my current residence
Very Productive
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 13, 2018
Working with the kids was fun and the days went bye pretty fast
the people there were good to work with there was no hard parts to the job that I saw the culture was ok.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
none that i saw
Great for work, life balance
ADMINISTRATIVE AIDE (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 21, 2018
I like working at the City. The Department of Sustainability has a great work culture. They hire 80% from within, but there are not many admin positions available so its like a rat race. The managers are very flexible and the work is not difficult or stressful.
Pros
work life balance, flexibility, training
Cons
not enough admin positions for staff to advance, bad internal communication, stagnant progression
City has a thorn
Chief Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 9, 2018
I was in charge of planting of all trees in the city. I had 5 people under me, I would get the locates for utilities and buy the trees. We would put them on the water trucks route. I planted an average of 7 trees a day.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Adminstration
ok
Custodian 1 (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 5, 2018
it was ok job ok job alright job if your ok with parttime good place if your a part time school student ok place pay was not good if you have your own place
Shifting Culture
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  City HallMay 3, 2018
The city of Fort Lauderdale, like many other government agencies, is now fully immersed in the concept of government 2.0. The reality of Gov 2.0 is that “getting more done with less”, is q clear path to burn out, unless a clear change in process has been initiated. The city is made up of a collection of its employees, and citizens. The city of Fort Lauderdale has done a good job of making sure that those two never get the opportunity to collaborate. .
Pros
People
Cons
Mismanagement
Daily Activity
Sr. Network Engineer/Architect (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301April 27, 2018
A typical workday would include working on active projects, performing system maintenance and extended efforts. I would also work to complete tickets as submitted by other stakeholders. I also provide technical guidance for my junior engineering as is required.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 4, 2018
I manage myself. I teach classes to 55+ year old retirees. There isn't anything difficult about my job. I actually enjoy what I do but I only work 8 hours a week.
Pros
I do what I love
Cons
Part time employment
Excellent place to work
Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 28, 2018
Great place to work, enjoy every thing about it. Supervisors are great, and always helpful. Can do well if you are a project manager or a CEO. I enjoy working here and plan on retiring from here.
Pros
Room for growth
reconsider
Occupancy Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 8, 2018
please re consider, a good place to start with no experience but after that move on.
over worked & underpaid
not appreciated by management
run for the hills if possible
Well organized
Aviation Regulatory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLMarch 2, 2018
I enjoy the aviation challenge and the growth in the work process. Communication with the staff, management and the owners at times was challenging, but the results proved to be successful. I look at challenge as an opportunity to grow.
Pros
Good atmosphier
Cons
Health plan could of been improved
Not a bad city to work for.
Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 9, 2018
I wish there was better advancement for employees with better pay and benefits. Some of the staff is lazy while the ones who work their butt off don't get recognized.
Excellent job
Public Works Utilities & Engineering Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 29, 2018
Great opportunity for advancement. Great atmosphere, working relations with the City Management, Engineers and Architects as well as the Public Works Director.
Pros
Positive job opportunity.
Stressful and discriminating environment
CSR - T.A.M (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 19, 2018
Department is riddled with selfish managers and little to no respect for most employees. You are judged off of your looks, dress code or who likes you rather than work ethic or production. Favored employees can do no wrong and often can get their friends or significant other employed without going through the correct process of testing. Managers will also often ask you to complete tasks that they're assigned "to train you for the future" but will never acknowledge you active involvement in said tasks. Co-workers that have been there for years create a toxic environment. They will lie about you to everyone they can and won't won't know about it until people you've never even spoke to have a negative impression of you and show it. Overall, this is a top heavy department which continues to hire management positions while eliminating worker positions so staff will always be overworked.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Stressful environment, lack of communication, no room for earned advancement, micromanaging supervision, incompetent supervision
Servicio tecnico especilizado
Mechanic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 10, 2018
Se visitaban las plantas y se hacian trabajos de reparacion o mantenimiento preventivo a los equipos de CNC.
was a nice place to work in
Planning Internship (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 26, 2017
I lerned a lot fronm this internship. My typical day was to go and kearn different skills. My manager was ok. The workplace culture was quite competitive. The hardest part of the job was learning the new skills on the job. The most enjoyable part was learning new skills.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 31, 2017
If you get with the right team this is an awesome place to work. If you enjoy helping people then this is the place for you. If you are self directed and motivated then you have the ability to succeed
Pros
Flexibility