City of Fort Walton Beach Employee Reviews

It could be better
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 22, 2019
There are certains areas within my current section that I feel could be managed much better. Lately, I feel as if I am just another body that my employer can say "oh he's here." I dont feel appreciated for anything and there have been several times I have woke up for work ready to quit.

My particular area of employment is in such disarray, that I couldnt tell you what is in store for the future. Nobody wants to take responsibility for making a decision. It feels like they just want to wait and dump it on someone else.

If you're not a fan of politics, stay away from working apart of a political entity.
Pros
We can flex time, but only if it benefits the agency
Cons
Stress, monotony, repetitive, stagnant, "good ol boys" club, looked over, inadequacy
Not good to work there any longer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLDecember 5, 2018
The police department is in distress. Nothing is being done to improve the moral. Employees are leaving because there is no where to go to complain about the corruptness goings on with upper management. If you are a brown nose, have no integrity, good ole boy, cheater, all around corrupt, we have a job for you!
Parks and Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 12, 2018
Enjoyable. Hard work but relaxed environment. Most of my co-workers were retirees. Early mornings, but work ended around 2:30. Great place to work if you need the extra income. That's why most of the people that I worked with were retirees.
Very Good place to work
Sewer Collection and Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 17, 2017
I LOVED it there, but we just had to relocate. It was a GOOD place to work for. Not too many issues. There was ALWAYS work to do. The supervisor was an amazing person.
Enjoyable work environment!
Acquisitions/Contracting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 25, 2017
The Contracting Office used to be located outside of the main facility for the City for easy access to the vendors. It was a much more relaxed atmosphere although we worked very hard and our Director was spot on! City Hall was a bit tense because this is where the City Manager was located. Dress code was relaxed especially because we live in the South and with the heat. I truly enjoyed my position and working for the City of Fort Walton Beach.
Pros
The environment.
Cons
Dealing with hurricanes and inclement weather.
Human Resources for City/Municipal Government
Employee Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 3, 2014
I would highly recommend working for the City of Fort Walton Beach. There is a relatively new City Manager in place who has made great, great strides, moving the City in a more positive direction. It's small in comparison to other municipal governments, only about 325 total employees, but it is filled with groups not afraid to work together, never afraid to help each other out. That is the one thing I will miss by moving to Colorado ... the people; my co-workers.
Pros
EXCELLENT people to work with; great, great teamwork!
Cons
Due to budget cuts, we are all doing a LOT more with a LOT less, especially staff.