CITY OF FRESNO Employee Reviews

City of Fresno
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  2223 G Street Fresno Ca 93706June 21, 2019
Working for our local municipality has been a great experience where we strive for excellence daily. We work in a team environment where we use our strengths to reach our organization’s goals.
Pros
Great team and career opportunities.
Very Toxic Environment
Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 3, 2019
Supervisor was hot headed and bi polar as far as mood swings go. It was a good old boy type system. There wasn't an incentive to go above and beyond your daily duty, because the next person to get promoted would be someone that was in the inner circle and not someone that really deserved it.
You reap what you sow
Former CFPEA and FCEA employee (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 24, 2019
It's really quite simple...elementary in fact: If you do what you are paid to do, demonstrate the willingness to go above & beyond the call of duty, complete your tasks as assigned, adhere to "team player" framework, maintain a fantastic attitude and demeano, and are dependable (responsible)...AND doing all this from a sincere and genuine set of work ethics and beliefs...MANY-A-DOORS will open for your future. And I am about as unbiased as anyone can be! I just hope that the many "naysayers" I encountered in my tenure with the COF can recall when/where the moment disappeared when they too shared my personal summary of what's needed in order to succeed within the COF.
Pros
Benefits and Unparalleled Management (Sup's, Mgrs., AD's, Directors)
Cons
FCEA (Unit 03)...always seem to be a decade behind compared to the other MOU's (Units)
Nice job on paper and ok job for very young, mid life not so good
light equipment mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 20, 2019
Managment is the biggest issue. Unqualified people get ahead...regardless of ability, not just one boss but all that I had contact with. Half of the employees do as little as possible, but management doesn't say a word, other half get pushed to carry slackers. And about time off....you accue it ....but use it...they get angry off. To put it simply to much favoritism. I was harrassed
While on workers comp both times. Management does not adhere to union agreement . And remember, they take out for retirement and it takes 3 1/2 years to reach max wages. Personally you can make more in private sector if your better than avg.
Pros
Lots of work
Political Environment with Long Term Employees
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 19, 2019
The City of Fresno is a political environment with a great group of employees that stay long term. Unfortunately, due to downsizing 7 years ago, the morale is very bad and the employees are miserable. The work is not evenly distributed, so a lot of the employees are having to do the work of 3-5 people. This is a consequence of the downsizing. This organization is top heavy.
Pros
Health benefits, paid leaves and holidays
Cons
The work is not evenly distributed
Recreation
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Day would consist of monitoring facillity and children, teach life skills,teach how to work computer, coach sports activties and sport leagues. Teach indoor games like pool, table tennis,dominos and other table games
The not so good, the bad, and the very ugly
Water Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  N.E. Surface water treatment facilityOctober 23, 2018
Very sad the way the cities water division has let some of their facilities get run down and then blame employees when problems occur. This not only effects morale but also endangers public safety. Some employees are forced to work overtime under threat of losing their job if they remove their name form the overtime list, The work environment is hostile to employees who question anything from safety to maintenance. Management seems to enjoy putting out rumors to keep employees at odds with each other.
Over all this is not a good place to work,
Pros
Cost of housing in area.
Cons
Everyting else
Local Gorvernment
Computer Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 22, 2018
It's a local government. Not much to say other that things move at their own pace. Conformity and being someone who doesn't rock the boat are highly prized in government employees.
not a great place to work
Customer Service rep (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 17, 2018
very stressful, lack of training, fellow employees were nice to work with but the lack of necessary items needed to do the job made the work environment very hostile.
High School
ACCOUNTANT AUDITOR II (Former Employee) –  City HallJune 11, 2018
Management at City Hall gives COF a bad name. They conduct themselves like a high school for the elders. Gossip is rampant and they spend many days not working, but instead checking on co-workers looking for their next target to get fired. Write-ups are bogus and investigations are a hoax.
Pros
Cons
95% of the Vested Employees
Encouraging atmosphere and team work
Parks and Recreation, Graphic Artist, and artist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 18, 2018
Meeting were all about team building and answering question employee may have had about their work. I learned how to be a team player. Management was very helpful.
Pros
Jobs fit an employee's skill set
Cons
There was very little job security in my field
Stable job without many opportunities for advancement
Community Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 11, 2018
People stay in their jobs until they retire so the opportunity to advance does not happen very often. Management does not always do a good job of providing opportunities to expand in your career.
Everyday routine
Staff Assistant/ (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 9, 2018
This job works well for someone that can sit at a desk all day, the hardest part is sitting in a office with no windows. I enjoyed the many people I met over the phone and from different companies.
Pros
no varied hours
Cons
you pay for your parking
Opportunity to serve the community
Council Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 25, 2018
I enjoyed helping solve problems our constituents face, as well as analyzing public policy options. I believe in a philosophy that as a government employee I work for the people.
Pros
1 hour lunches, low/medium stress levels, challenging case work
Cons
low pay, too much gossip, co-workers lack drive
friendly and supported
Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 18, 2018
I should be more specific when i say city of fresno. I worked at city hall, for DARM(development and resource department). And withing DARM, i worked with code enforcement. they make sure that all building are up to code.

Working here changed my whole perspective of looking at things. The people working at city hall are the most nicest people I've ever worked with. they tried their hardest to help everyone, even though sometimes it doesn't look like it. what people don't realize is that, there's not a lot that city worker can do.

this was the first job that i had that i actually enjoying and look forward to going to everyday. because i was a temp, i wasn't assign to only one task. everyday i went into work, i had something new to do. which means that everyday i learn a new skills. i think that most enjoyable thing about this job was that everyday was different. i wasn't stuck in a loop where i do the same thing every single day, over and over and over again.

i love my boss. the way he treats everyone. how supported he is. I've never had a boss that tells me would back me up and when i needed the backup, really backs me up. this one did. if he tells me to do something and i get in trouble, he would admit and say, she's not doing anything wrong, she's only doing what i ask her too. Amazing Guy.

so yeah, 100% i would recommend everyone working here.
Pros
9-5 job, mon-friday
Cons
temp only
Great place to work. Co workers and bosses are friendly and willing to work together as a team.
Landscape Worker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 3, 2018
A typical work day is enjoyable most of the time, yet can be challenging. You learn new locations within the City Limits. You learn new methods on how to tackle the job assigned and finish the job in ample time. Management is fare and accommodating to the needs of the employees on both work and personal levels. Mixed cultures that get along great & help one another on & off the job. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the elements of the weather when you are working outside. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling a sense of accomplishment for a job well done & knowing how grateful the public is when you have cleaned up the parks, street corners, center dividers & residential areas of the City.
Pros
Working to make a living & providing a great service for the public.
Cons
Weather conditions.
Fun and friendly place to work
Parks and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 14, 2018
I would definitely recommend working at the city of Fresno, it was a very positive working experience and everyone at the company was very helpful and very friendly.
Challenging work envirenment
Civil Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Review design plans, oversee consultants work, working with assessment district planning and issues, inspecting roadways for construction or resurfacing.
Pros
Combined office and field work
Cons
Bureaucratic Issues
City of Fresno
Supervising Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 12, 2018
Good place to work. High tempo projects. My co-workers are great to work with. City Management decisions can be exasperating and affect how one approaches their job.
Good place to work, hard work
Landscape Technician (Former Employee) –  FresnoJanuary 29, 2018
This job was fun. I was a landscaping service aid. Its hard work but rewarding. The job was temporary i was only supposed to work there 6 months but they kept for 1 year. Unfortunately me along with a few other employees were terminated because the job was only temporary.
Pros
Different job functions. Using tools
Cons
Working outside you have to adapt to year round weather conditions