City of Galveston Employee Reviews

outside work
WATER METER TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJune 13, 2018
Went to work and started the day with work orders, met people on the job with the city and residents around the island. Learned how to service meters and repair them. Alternated on call schedules with other employees.
Good place to work,
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJune 3, 2018
The City of Galveston was a fun place to work. The employees were helpful and attentive to the public's needs. They worked hard to make sure the citizens were treated right.
Pros
Helpful management.
Cons
Retirement benefits lacking.
Working in that position was a great career step for me
Public Information and Grants Officer (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXMay 24, 2018
I had a lot of autonomy to create the role and work closely with the mayor and city manager, who I reported to. I juggled events, media relations, writing copy for the municipal television stations and monthly utility bills. I helped recreate the website and made accessing information from the city easier.

I knew there would be politics in that role. I always saw myself s working for the citizens who pay taxes and would try to say out of political discussions. It was difficult at times when I wanted to report the whole truth about an issue when I was told to only distribute part of the truth I admitted that lies of commission were sometimes tough to confront, and I found ways to find solutions so the citizens got the whole story.

I've always performed best in positions that either did not exist before, or when I had the freedom to use my best talents to grow the role. I felt great about organizing a history of the city grants for the first time, and was honored at times during city council meetings.

My roles in communications, especially around disasters and tropical storms, were challenging and fun.
Pros
access
Cons
I need to think about that one to protect the innocent. I'll plead the 5th.
Good people to work for
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXMay 13, 2018
Job security if you like to drive city buses. The routes have now expanded outside the city, some buses go as far as League City, Tx. There has been a 3 dollar pay raise since hurricane Ike.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Bad weather tornadoes, hurricanes
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXMay 1, 2018
fast paced with a large volume of handling cash. Lots of interaction with customers. Handled permits and water payments. Handled customer inquiries and complaints on a daily bases.
Job satisifacion is based on departments and managers
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 11, 2018
There is no normal day in the Finance Department. Most of my days consisted of trying to figure out work giving to me without any directions. Managers are a joke and don't care about their employees or retention rates. Instead of rehiring, they'll add more to your workload which makes your duties unmanageable. Can't ask managers for help, they don't know how to do the work either. Also, in this department there's no room for promotion/overtime/raises. Supervisor was always distasteful and rude. I wouldn't recommend anyone to this certain department! I regret accepting this job.
Pros
Benefits, holidays off
Cons
Poor management, lack of training and communication, stressful
Stability
Refuse Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 18, 2018
Great job if you are looking for something long term. I worked in sanitation for a little under a year. Everyone is pretty cool and get along for the most part . Learning the job is pretty easy, and if you get fired you did not want the job.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Pay
Productive Educational Workplace
Recycling Center Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 11, 2018
The City of Galveston is a great place to work. In my area, I was in control of the hiring, firing, and the day to day operations. They have a liberal education program. The most enjoyable part of my job with the city are my employees.
Not a very good place to work unless you know someone that has been with the company for a while.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 6, 2018
They are very hard on their laborers, on a regular basis you do not get a lunchbreak. There are alot of labor laws broken on a regular basis here. I could say more butI think you get my point.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Rarely get a lunch break
An Ok place to work
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXMarch 4, 2017
A lot of the same things, just different day, I come in and see what work order for which buses I have and then i start on them. Checking the oil levels and making sure the fleet will be functioning for the next day. This is a night shift.
Pros
The people are good, and the work is easy.
Cons
the work is to easy, and the night shift hours
Very productful
Parks and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 13, 2017
maintained all of Galveston. Worked 40 hours a week. Also did overtime. Stayed busy all day. Loved my job. The co workers were awesome. Management was great.
Pros
Everything was great there
Cons
Not many
Laid back work place
Parts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 4, 2017
You make the day. Do what you have to do there's not any baby sitters sitting around everyone's has a job to do. At the Wastewater Plant there's always something to do from filing papers to moping the floor/
okay experience
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJuly 13, 2016
This type of work is very stressful but doable. I enjoy helping out my community in this way but become very scared for the community at the same time because you know everything bad that is going on within.
it was a lovely career
Waste Management Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 12, 2016
while the job of the city of galveston, i became a better driver of a class b.As a driver of the city truck i be came a good crew leader for my truck
Fun Work
Project Coordinator / Water Contract Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 16, 2015
I started as a payroll specialist and ended up as a project coordinator. I loved what I did for the City. I got along well with my co-workers.
Pros
Great environment to work in
Excellent
Urban Planner I & II (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 24, 2015
Great place to develop skills in an entry-level position. Highly recommend keeping an eye on this city if you're seeking your first job.
met a few nice people along the way
operator 3 (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 20, 2015
good job to work for grow and retire had some problems at first with supervision but was easily worked out three stars salary alittle low for comparable size cities
Hard work non stop in under extreme conditions
Water and Sewer Dept. (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 26, 2015
Hard work everyday outside in the heat, rain or cold. All types of water and sewer to work in and tiresome work, most days are overtime approximately 8-15 hours a day.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Lots of overtime in the heat
City of Galveston Water Department
Billing Specialist & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJune 29, 2015
The leadership was not accommodating and not understanding and racist. There was not working ahead. No advancement to be had
that is during the time I work there.
great benefits and good people
OPERATOR IV (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXMarch 20, 2015
a great place to work if you are wanting long term job security. also a great place to expand ones ability to operate equipment and to develop the ability to interact with the private sector.