City of Garland Employee Reviews

Management v. Employee
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXFebruary 6, 2019
The majority of people at Garland are great - the management is just terrible. Micromanaging and untrusting of employees - at least within the Internal Audit department. Management refuses to accept any wrong-doing and will throw the average employees under the bus to retain their standing within the City.

The benefits of a normal 8-5 were great. Compensation and health insurance were also good.

Other benefits, such as workout classes, free coffee, etc have been taken away. Literally, don't expect any extra perks.

Lots of talk in the past few years about trying to make the City a more attractive place to work, but no action. Someone should probably tell upper management this. Honestly, they just ruin the place.
Creative place to work with children, indoor and outdoor environment
STARS Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXDecember 19, 2018
Great place to work with children. Hardest part was the limited amount of resources that were given. Ex- games for the children, equipment, snacks and such.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
building and limited resource
poor choices
Signal & Street Technician (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXDecember 3, 2018
good place to work good benefits just made some bad decisions on my part and was terminated after 13yrs of service with the city i would recommend this place for employment
Learned
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXNovember 6, 2018
Work place was great and worked with great co-workers. Learned alot working in a Library. City offers very good benefits and I loved the classes we as employees attended.
great place
Diesel Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 27, 2018
great place to work when i was there. Its been a long time many years. I'm sure it still a great city to work for it is to live there.

Worked as a diesel mechanic in fleet.
exciting and fun
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 3, 2018
management always helped the workers. fun environment to be around. individuals were very polite worked together to get things done. Team oriented for every department.
Pros
luncheons, awards
Cons
long days
Great Place to work but sub par IT management.
PC Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 16, 2018
The City of Garland overall is a great place to work but what made me ultimately leave was the IT management. Rather than fixing and preventing the problem there was more finger pointing.
Pros
Great benefits good customers
Cons
Bad IT work environment, Even though you follow bi lines you can still be written up for taking sick leave.
Great Place to Work!
Code Inspector 1 (Former Employee) –  210 Carver St.July 8, 2018
Love working for the city! Great work/life balance, great management in my department, great benefits especially retirement. The city matches your retirement 2:1.
Good place to work, but poor management
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 6, 2018
Garland is a great city to work for, the only issue that I've come across is that management works as a "buddy buddy" or "good ol' boys" system. This system makes it hard to advance in your department or transfer out to a different department. Apart from that, I would recommend this place.
Fantastic Organization
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 5, 2018
The City of Garland is an exceptional organization, they truly care about their employees and show in many ways. The culture here is one of inclusion, acceptance and encouragement. I am constantly encouraged by my manager to seek professional development opportunities and have been promoted a couple times now. They review city positions each year and compare them to the market and provide compensation adjustments to positions that aren't competitively compensated. We have a City care clinic that is 100% free to employees and dependents. 2-1 match on TMRS retirement. Legal services and life insurance options provided on top of dental and vision.
Pros
management, hard work doesn't go unnoticed, approachable executives
Cons
health insurance seems to be getting less competitive over years.
Productive and great place to work
General Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 4, 2018
This office was always busy with daily interactions from city employees. I learned several details required for candidates to be considered for employment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Healthcare
Great city to work for!
Box Office Attendant (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 2, 2018
Appropriate procedures in place.
Simple and clear expectations for position.
Wonderful management.
Calm and pleasant atmosphere.
Wonderful benefits.
the overall job
Assistant Building Official (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 4, 2018
the city provide my family and I an opportunity to act and grow as a reasonable citizen and coworker with others as I spent the last 28 years of my life with one organization before retirement
Pros
construction
Great company.
FSS Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 22, 2018
Loved working for the City of Garland. Great company for advancement opportunities. Enjoyed employee appreciation and training. City of Garland put customers first.
Pros
Employee Appreciation & Christmas bonus.
Cons
Cut throat.
City of Garland
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 26, 2018
Typical day was busy but not stressful. I learned a lot about GIS. Upper management is really great. culture is very nurturing. I wish I had never left
Pros
not enough room to grow
Cons
i don't know
Ok
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 26, 2018
For me its ok at times. Just part time work for one that been trying to figure out next move. Does get cold,wet and hot since work outdoors . Walking people ok,but when one has changed ones views change. Only thing great is getting off when school not in session during teacher meetings, summer not so good. Need to find other work.
Pros
Off when kids off.
Cons
Not paid in summer.
City of Garland Environmental waste
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 21, 2018
Inbound calls learned new systems doing contracts
Did not like the management they are racist. Culture very stressful, management isn't professional.
Pros
Cons
Hostile environment
Productive but fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 23, 2018
All of my coworkers were great. Everyone worked as a team and the supervisors were always on top of things. Working there made me fee like i had a second family.
Pros
Long Lunches, festivities
Better Together
Business Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 10, 2018
A great group of people doing everything they can to keep the citizens of Garland happy, healthy, and connected to their community. So many opportunities to be an agent for change.
It is a fun and competetive place to work.
Customer Service - Call Center (Former Employee) –  N. Fifth St Garland TX 75040March 7, 2018
This is the right place to work since the municipality is more secure than the private company. I worked in a private company and banking institutions and been laid off they don't have attractive benefits to be able to grow and retired.
Pros
We always celebrate the employee month we're we have gifts and free lunches before the main event.
Cons
You have to learn to multi task since you are operating two screens.