City of Glendale (CA)

City of Glendale (CA) Employee Reviews

United States46 reviews
I could see in the office they need someone to organize all the file and have back up on the computer files.
It was the best position to get me back in workforce
For some reason, Glendale; with 2 malls, restaurants on top of restaurants, thinks it is better than not only LA county and all the unincorporated areas of the county who's minimum wage is $15 dollars an hour but because Glendale is incorporated in LA county it is allowed to pay only $13 dollars an hour. If unincorporated areas have to pay the same as LA county why on earth are the actual incorporated areas exempt?.
Anything to not pay a proper wage
Very good ciy to work for with good management. They have good benefits and the people are easy to work with. I like the way they treat the employees and make staff feel comfortable.
You must be patient when dealing with passengers and traffic, especially the drivers out there. Keep in mind Glendale has a high rate of accidents that is why it can be stressful in this type of environment.
I worked at GYA when I was 14 years old, 2017-2019 I worked there on summer brush clearance.Instead of sitting at home and not doing anything I want to go work and collect money for my college
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I started out in the parks department, then was hired as a street maintenance worker. Working in concrete, then transferred to the asphalt street department. I spent five years on an asphalt patch truck alone honing my skills in street repairs, and assisting crews using a radio to communicate daily.I thrived in this position crafting myself as a worker in the field.
No industry related training and not allowed to join any business forum or discussion. Was asked to not sharing information with senior manager and work is always boss oriented. Employees are not experts of their work, but servants of the boss. Was threatened to “not come to work tomorrow “ at a business strategy meeting. Data was manipulated and revised for better showing. Groups are not working well together. Credits are given by exposure, not by credit base. Employees are not allowed to talk at business meetings even if they are experts of the aspects. HR process is a mess too. Employees are asked to not take sick leaves. Family leaves are declined for taking care of adoption parents just because they do not live in the same household. Position is terminated while employee is at sick leave.
Unqualified individuals in management roles. A lot of family and friends working there (hence unqualified individuals in important roles) that start as hourly and then later are "promoted" to salaried. Lack of diversity and inclusion.
Pros
Salary and work schedule.
Cons
Nepotism, poor management, lack of diversity and inclusion.
we were constantly busy and always on the move. I worked on a team of 4-5 people. we arranged for events such as rugby, movie nights, and other events.
The job wasn't difficult what so ever it was pretty self explanatory and with a team everything was much easier.
Pros
laid back, stress free
Cons
seasonal opportunity
Great place to work. Highly recommended for youngsters looking to build a resume. Very diverse atmosphere with plenty of room for growth. Management was always very professional.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere.
Cons
No full time slots available.
City of Glendale is a great company- great benefits, great insurance, great mgmt where I am. The only drawback is there is a lack of advancement opportunity and salary is not up to market rate.
Pros
Mgmt very personable and genuinely cares a lot about their people.
Cons
Little room for advancement and salary below market rate.
Working with the DPW was a fun yet fulfilling time as we all worked together in maintaining the parks and environment in the area. The hardest part of the job was being able to rest from the summer heat, but we were given frequent breaks that helped with the issue.
working at city of glendale was really a plesure for me. it was nice and productive also competitive work place. if hired as a full time employees the benefits are really good for your entire life.
Working for the city of Glendale was my first job and I am so grateful for being given the oppturnity and experiences that come along working for my city. We work very closely with the public and our community, and working as a lifeguard and swim instructor with the city has given me skills that will be useful for other jobs/career in the future.
Pros
Open door policy, always there for eachother when needed
Cons
Short breaks
Good place to work/minimal advancement opportunities. Decent pay. Supervisor and employees are not always on the same page. Great place to work while attending school.
Pros
Cons
Minimal Advancement opportunities
Great place to work at and to gain leadership skills, my day consisted of checking in equipment and making sure all personal was taken to the job site in the best possible way
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
People
City of Glendale provides lots of opportunities for its employees to grow and improve. I personally, love the work environment and the care I have received for all the years I’ve been working there.
Overall, working at the City of Glendale is a great opportunity to work in a professional setting. Great experience for individuals seeking to work for the greater good of the community.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Not enough job advancement available
Loved working there the people were very nice loved doing filing and answering phones. Also helping whoever needed help also doing lite typing and getting the files.
Summer job that paid well, it was only for 5 weeks. I was paid $12 an hour and I worked 20-30 hours a week. Was provided food, and had a paid day off
I highly enjoyed the work. The balance between management and staff was not equally distributed. The company never took time to ask employees how their management is treating them.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Glendale (CA). Our community is ready to answer.
4.2