City of Grand Rapids, MI

City of Grand Rapids, MI Employee Reviews

United States9 reviews
This was a good job to develop my skill set while going to school. The hours were flexible and everyone I worked with was nothing but helpful. I also enjoyed the rotation between departments.
My day-to-day work consist of getting my equipment prepped for my daily workload and preparing myself to interact with the public which consist Of changing water meters and determining whether a leak in the road is a residential concern or the city of grand Rapids
Pros
My ability to learn the job and do it well
Cons
Dealing with all type of weather
I worked there for over 8 years and enjoyed my time. The City offers competitive wages and benefits. The hiring process is pretty slow so be patient. Good luck!
Liked working with the city Grand Rapids slow paced and a outside Environment they pay was great and the people I worked with was awesome willing to help
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Dirty smelling houses
I worked as a supplemental for the city of Grand Rapids for 8 years. They have room for advancement if you work for it, and sometimes test for it. The groundskeepers are a great bunch of people.
Pros
working outside
Cons
working outside
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Overall a good way to earn decent, especially if you don't have a lot of responsibilities you have to worry about. A solid starting gig with good pay and excellent hours.
Would highly recommend working here. Paid time off, free meals and relaxed working environment. My manager here was one of the best I have ever had. .
This was a typical job where the Union was always at odds with management. I personally had no problem with management. I loved my job and did not care for the politics.

Every day on duty was different, every alarm was different, you never knew what to expect. This made the job exciting. Sometimes you had very busy days and other times not so much. The only drawback to the job is the potential for injury and the bodily effects caused by the exposures to hazardous materials.

If i would have known about the Fire Department sooner, I would have joined earlier. Starting my career with the Fire Department at 52 did not allow me enough time to enjoy it.
Pros
Work schedule was outstanding
Cons
Working in all kinds of weather and lack of sleep
Atypical day at work consisted of me starting with some stair checks, then proceeding to assist with the safe room guys having to check the Pay in Lane Station (PILS) machines from the previous night. Then it was pretty much just patrolling until getting a call to assist a customer with a parking issue, because that was the division that I was part of, the Parking Services Division. I would assist parking lot and ramp customers with issues such as ticket issues, money issues for their fees, flat tires, tire changes, pretty much anything the customer needed to make them happy to be able to bring them back to park in our lot or ramp again. My co-workers were all great to work with, all easy going, just like the management, very easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was able to make someone happy everyday by helping them out of an issue.
Pros
Great personel
Cons
Hardly any break
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Grand Rapids, MI. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4