CITY OF HAYWARD

Working at CITY OF HAYWARD: 15 Reviews

United States15 reviews

Excellent work/life balance and benefits, but slowly getting into the 21st century

Most positions are secured with a union, so there is job security and generally good pay and benefits. Salary increases don’t keep up with inflation, so the pay will not be very competitive in the Bay Area. However, they make up for it in good benefits and flexible work environment. Hybrid remote work schedule is available.Technology is very archaic and workflow suffers because of it. For example, most people keep records through emails and processing physical paperwork is very much still a thing. And a lot of people who have worked here for 20+ years struggle with using basic computer functions. They are trying to improve by implementing new software but it’s a slow process.

Pros

Union, healthcare, pension, remote work

Cons

Understaffed, low pay, high workloads

Selective Advancement Opportunities

Management rewards favorites as opposed to those who work hard and continuously exceed expectations. Will make eligibility lists for recruitments and not adhere to them.

CITY OF HAYWARD insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility

The top level management

The City Manager and down are willing to listen to the workers and listen to their needs. Implementation of programs throughout the City have been helpful during the COVID-19

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits

Cons

Not enough cohesiveness

productive enviroment

I learned a lot about the sewer system. I learned how to read a sewer map, use the computers that control the cameras, connect and attach the cameras, and hoses.

Great officers. Fun to work with.

This was a good place to work. Great pay, medical, dental and vision plans. Good retirement. During the end of my career, supervision became poor. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with good officers.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Poor leadership

I loved it

It was kind of stressful because I was fundraising money for an event but being in the office with the other workers was a lot of fun. I loved the work environment there.

fun, relaxing and great working with kids

I worked with kids the whole time and it was amazing. helping out the kids from our community. It was fun to meet new people and the work was fun and easy.

Job Security

Great City to work for. Great starting place for a career minded individual. Workplace culture is significant given the size of the city. Hardest part of any job here will always be making sure everyone else is doing there job but that usually is anywhere.

Fun work place

I learned to enter data in to the computer as well as telephone skills I've also had communication with a lot of people whom were calling to file reports

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Short breaks

Excellent employer

Married the chemist Moved to work for city of san mateo Performed chemist duties Analysis of water and wastewater Followed elap certification every year

Pros

Excellent employer

Cons

No complaints

As an intern at the City Clerk's Office I learned a lot. It's a very busy Office but that's what I enjoyed because time went by faster. My duties as an intern was to assist any guest at the front desk, answer and direct phone calls, scan and file documents including contracts & agreements, schedule passport appointments, print the public binder. The hardest part of the job was to create and post presentations or documents received after City Council Meetings. My co-workers were the best and very supportive.

Pros

Great knowledge I learned

Cons

It was a paid internship that came to an end

Supportive Work Environment / Professional Growth Opportunities Offered

I have had a great experience working for this City. In both past and current roles, I have been able to have a significant impact not only on the organization, but on and with the community we serve. Co -workers are for the most part professional and capable, ethical, and hard working.

Municipal Government

As with any organization, corporate culture changes with change in management at any level. During my most of my tenure in the City Attorney's Office, morale was good. Employees and Managers were encouraged to perform to the best of their abilities, with support and guidance from the Departmental Manager.

Supporting the Community

Worked in the Community Services Department that supported the community at large. My direct position was supporting the Handicap and Elderly to make sure they had available transportation to their appointments. I also worked with Elderly Facilities to make sure that they were covered for their field trips with clientele. The most challenging part of the job was working with many facilities and seeing that each need was met and that we had accurate coverage. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to support the Handicap and Elderly with what was needed.

Pros

Wonderful Group of People

Cons

Hard workers

Frustrating

management can always be improved. great pay and benefits. the city as a whole is great to work for. Limited opportunities for advancement due to such a small agency of 200.

Pros

benefits and co-workers were outstanding

Cons

management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF HAYWARD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits