City of Hickory, NC Employee Reviews

Easy-going, relaxed environment
Parks and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 5, 2018
This job was very enjoyable, I learned a lot and felt very comfortable with my coworkers and boss as it was a good work environment. It is fast-paced at times but is also very relaxed. It was not a stressful job and I enjoyed my work at my first job. Unfortunately, it was a temporary job as the department only needed me seasonally.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No breaks, fast paced
Supervisory nightmare
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uptown HickoryJuly 10, 2017
My supervisor rarely made a move without putting a lot of thought into how he would look to the city council, city manager, and ultimately the towns 'mover and shaker' population. This was an undercurrent with most of the departmental supervisors and created a lot of unnecessary tension. One minute you're told to work on your own, make your own decisions....but when you do you're reprimanded for not asking before you went forth with a decision. Coworkers were either in the happy to help category or the gossip monger category. Benefits however were decent and raises were fairly steady. They were frozen a few times when I was there, during economic downturns. There were some employee appreciation days and activities. Insurance premiums were a bit high. If you can manage to do your work and stay out of the line of fire, it's a good place to work.
Pros
7.5 hour work day
Cons
Gossip monger, brown noser atmosphere.
Relaxed work environment
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 12, 2017
Enjoyed workplace culture. Relaxed management, the most enjoyable part of the job is harmonious interaction with co-workers. Learned how to manage the requests of a large client base and promote company mission with efficiency.
Not a fair place to work
Crew leader (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 7, 2017
They make up their rules as they go along more management than actual workers, was a great place to work but last few years was horrible and they kept taking benefits to the point of it's not worth the small pay life is not all that well crafted when you can't afford to make it
Pros
Great group of guys to work with
Cons
Management has ran it in the ground
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 17, 2017
The staff is friendly and the job space offers opportunities for advancement as well as amazing benefits. As an intern, I did not experience many of these, but I did get the chance to speak to others about their job satisfaction.
Dont waste your time...
Seo (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 25, 2016
Trouble trouble trouble if you are kin they will bend over backwards otherwise look elsewhere.No lunch breaks poor management
Pros
Cons
Stress stress no lunch breaks no room to move up
Nice place to live
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 11, 2016
Hickory is a very interesting city. It is a great place to raise a family and to live. I love dining out and shopping in this great city. There are quite a few places to go for entertainment and also for relaxation. I volunteer alot of my time in Hickory working with youth, the Homeless and those less fortunate.
Pros
Alot of places to visit
Cons
Not enough help for the Homeless
Possitive Work Environment
Maintenance Worker City (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 13, 2015
I have worked with the men at the City and they are a good group of men to work with . I highly recomend working for the City of Hickory.