City of Hope
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

City of Hope Employee Reviews

United States411 reviews

hopecitycancerpatienthospitalcampusorganizationmission

good company with bad management

All around bad experience. There were some good experiences early on, but punished for showing initiative, given marching orders that weren't possible to perform under the constraints given, gender discrimination, undermined by management.

Don’t believe the facade

I worked at City of Hope for 9 years as a contracted physician. I tried to do my best with the resources available to me, but there are services and equipment that sadly are not available at COH, and transfer out of COH is discouraged. It is a very slow and frustrating process to try to do anything out of the ordinary at COH and there was no support. That never was a deterrent for me and I still tried. But with a change in management someone else with a special connection was preferred for my job and there was a fake “recruitment” and a new job description written specifically for that person. It was very easy to terminate me even with a year left in my latest contract because my contract stated that I could be let go “for any reason or for no reason” with 30 days notice. We all like to believe in medicine that people are altruistic and want the best care for patients but the sad truth is that not everyone at COH feels this way.

City of Hope insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Toxic culture

They have Horrible management and a toxic, unhealthy work culture. The HR department is not helpful at all. Employees are not allowed to ask questions and are afraid to speak out in fear of retaliation.

Horrible managment

horrible managment the call center in irwindale is the worst place to work in. they expect for you to be log in to the phone till the last minute, micro-managing to the extreme.

I don’t recommend it for people who want to grow

Only staff with bad mouth, bad/wired attitude, and lazy are to be promoted. “ the less you do, the less you make mistakes” this verse applies at the City Of Hope.Pay is not the best, always have to negotiate. Communication is very bad, supervisor as well as the management team are not aware of anything inside the lab, which means that if you are a hard worker your work will not be recognised. Staff are double faced and have bad mouth while they act like angels when managers are on board. No appreciation, no motivation. This place is a trouble maker, stressful and toxic to work. Might be good if you plan to learn and leave

Pros

Learning place for non blood bankers

Cons

Everything else is bad

Not challenging enough

I didnt feel challenged in my work, but this was a position that was newly created and where was no clear understanding of what was expected. Organization felt siloed

New management horrible

New management came in not caring or respecting the union contract, not appreciating good employees ,retaliation,coworker got a paperweight for 20years if service if that ain't a slap in the face. Saw some hard working coworkers treated as a easily replaceable body not caring for their quality of work and all the years invested, in all the numbers dont lie but the quality for the dept fell way below standards nobodygave any interest on patient complaints i left when I started to see all this behavior

Great work environment

over all was a great work environment.. people at city of hope treat you like a family. Everyone Is super nice .. management in food area (cafeteria, Starbucks) needs a lot of work. Great pay, very flexible

Productive and Healthy working environment

My boss is nice and knows how to manage. Trainers know what they are doing and training what you supposed to know for succeed at work. The team is strong and treats each other like family

Good pay, poor management, hard to transfer positions

Manager is useless, pay is pretty good, usual benefits, earned PTO hours for donating blood, hospital itself is very caring but management is not, hard to transfer internally, union kind of sucks, can never get a hold of anyone, parking is a NIGHTMARE

Providing a great patient experience at employee’s expense

Management at this hospital is a joke. Nickel and diming employees at every chance. Management promotes discord and engages in fear mongering to keep the union divided. Each contract bargaining year we have to fight to simply hold on to what we have.I attended a contract bargaining meeting once. I saw firsthand how flippant and disrespectful that management and their lawyers were to my fellow hard-working employees. Heartless. This place is a total For Profit “non profit”. The minute I find a job with a comparable salary elsewhere I’m GONE.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Inept management, fear mongering, difficult to take PTO

Registered Nurse

Being an oncology RN is hard! However, City of Hope offers a lot of support. Great work/life balance. Training/orientation is great and coworkers are supportive in a busy unit.

Some pros/some cons, but overall good work experience

Just as any place, it's not the dream job but the patients are very appreciative of the care they receive. Some managers are good, others not so much. I don't care for my current manager right now. However, my coworkers on my unit are what keep me going. Great team environment. This was my first job as a new grad and overall it's been a great learning experience.

Enjoy job

Enjoy job but pay is not fair. Great mission and ability to help patients but not the best employer. Management needs improvement. They are not organized and not the best work culture.

One of the Worst Companies You Would Ever Want To Work For

One of the Worst Companies You Would Ever Want To Work For. Terrible staff, lousy benefits, ego driven and shady staff members. Do not pay well and are simply not nice individuals. The worst bunch is HR. Would not recommend.

Great hospital, staff, management and lots of opportunities to advance. Overall great place to work!

This hospital offers so many great incentives. It has a union and the managers on my floor are very supportive. Staffing hasn’t been too much of an issue thus far. The hospital will hire travel nurses if were short or get some floaters from other floors. The hospital has multiple programs to help nurses advance in their career and provide funds as well.

Pros

Great environment to work in!

Cons

The usual compromise of tasks split up between days and nights are constantly up for debate

Great place to learn more about cancer research

Great stepping stone if you want to learn more about research . They take care of their employees very well. Great benefits and supportive if you want to do higher education.

Great place to work and grow as a healthcare professional

Just started with the company but overall I like the company culture and their values. The staff had been very supportive and provide helpful resources that will help me succeed in my role. I do hope to stay for the long run.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Parking

Poor management

Some of the worst managers I ever worked for. There is a very cliquey culture and if you're not "in" then your job is miserable. I think this is more a CTO problem, than a COH problem. I am so happy I left.

Pros

good compensation

Cons

overworked, understaffed, no work-life balance

Run away from City of Hope

Toxic work culture. Over the years, the main focus has shifted on how to make more and more money as COH expands. Parking is a joke. Employees have to park offsite at the Irwindale Speedway and take a bus to campus which adds at least an hour to the workday. Employees are often overworked and not fairly compensated. High turnover. Limit career growth and internal candidates are ofter passed up for new positions within the company. Promotions are unfair and management is heavily bias towards their inner circle. Your body is not your choice at COH. Mandatory annual flu vaccines and Tb testing even if you work remote or do not have contact with patients (unvaccinated are put on admin leave and then fired). There is free food and small gifts, which are usually given out around the time of employee satisfaction surveys. COH has made an effort towards diversity which is appreciated. COH has lost sight of the big picture as they push to expand into OC. The expansion of the Duarte campus has turned the beautiful grass areas into parking lots, a hotel and other structures. The Duarte campus has lost its charm.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Toxic culture, limited career growth, parking, management, poor job training

Awesome staff- Providers are 5 star

I tried to return to COH- but the pay was ridiculously low for someone with over 20 years in the health field.I was offered $16.00 hr- I wouldn’t have been able to survive on that pay.Besides the pay- it’s a Five star operation.

Pros

Lots of free lunches- before Covid.

Cons

Pay is very low now.

Common questions about City of Hope

Answered by current and former employees at City of Hope

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight