City of Houston, TX Employee Reviews

Driver
Sr. Side Loader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day at the city pf houston: I clocked in for 6:30 daily, morning meeting, pre-trip the truck, get route instructions and begin route. Drive to route locations and communicate with my team/supervisor. When it was time for lunch meet up with other drivers and then proceeded back to route. Once truck was filled drove to landfield to dispose of recycle. Once emptied return to route and stay on it until complete. Once finished call supervisor and if anyone needed assistance we had to proceed to that route to assist. At the end of day return truck. I've learned that if you don't take care of self no one else will.The hardest part was letting go. I worked very hard on my job received many recognition awards and once I was hurt no one nor the company took the time out to check and make sure I was alright. The most enjoyable part was having a job to wake up to and being able to provide for my family.
Very tense place
Solid Waste Collector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2019
Negative environment, limited amount of women . A lot of the men there wanted to sleep with the women . Stereo type, negative , not fair , i don’t feel like it was ran right
Pros
Cons
Health care, can afford to live
Sr. Sideload operator
Sr Sideload Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
They need to first clean house of all of the managers and supervisors, several supervisors have never driven a truck and don't even have a CDL. They will make you work on your off days and any other day that they can. The fleet is very old and not maintained very well, even with the fleet service on site. They don't want to fix the vehicles and 95% of the fleet will not pass state inspection much less a DOT inspection. The supervisors drive around all day in city cars not doing their job and when it gets close to the end of the day it's just panic time. Half of the time when you have something fixed in fleet maintenance it is not done right, every service center has at least 7 to 9 trucks down per day.
Pros
O/t
Cons
Supervisors, vehicles maintenance, threats of being fired
ok for job security
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2019
Hard to get raises and supervisors play favoritism. Not good for single parents. Needs to pay more. I went ahead and retired because I got tired of dealing with certain things.
Typical Day
Level III Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2019
I typically start my work day about 30-45 min. early. I would start by checking the schedule to see who is on duty for the day. I would check my productivity reports for what was needed for that day then I would proceed with my day.
good place to work just low pay
Crew Forman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2019
the city is a great place to work and has awesome benefits but unfortunately the pay is low for the type of labor done but there are a few positions that pay decent just harder to get and the process of getting hired on takes forever
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay rates
Great place to learn city government
Legal Department, Deputy City Attorney's office (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Work for 30 years and the issues that the City faced every day was new and different. The City is a place that deals with the public each and every day. Great place to work. Depending on which department you worked for made it new and different, cause each department handles different aspect of the City of Houston.
Benefits
Cons
Raises/promotions are limited in when they are given
One of my favorite careers so far.
Semi-skilled laborer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2019
Enjoyed the all around experience of the job. great co-workers, on point supervisors. Still able to work full-time if needed and still have a sociable life. Would love to go back.
Pros
Great operation hours
Cons
The outside climate.
Over all experience.
Parks and Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2019
I learned a lot about the outdoors and basic maintenance, while earning extra money for college. It was also very eye opening to travel to different parts of the city on a daily basis. The managerial staff was very understanding when I had to give my resignation, due to my school being on the other side of town which started to cause scheduling issues.
Senior Assistant City Attorney - IT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Wonderful environment with a team oriented concept.
Each day brings a different task.
Communication is key component of success within this organization.
Pros
Paid parking
Cons
Bureaucracy
Lack of Advancement Potential
Office (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Management did not provide direction. There was no advancement potential in the position I was in so I left to pursue another job opportunity. Lots of room for creativity.
Pros
Lots of room for creativity
Cons
Poor Management
good place to work
Parks and Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2019
the people that work there are awesome--- many good employees to make the days go quick-- good boss who cares about her employees--the ability to work with the public and provide them with good service
Cons
communication from the very higher ups in almost non-existent
great work enviorinment
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2019
Great supervisor and staff were helpful and great to work with.
Lonely Place to Work
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2018
Working along in your department, all night, no one to talk to ,but your hotshot driver out on the road. Sometimes other dispatchers may come and talk to you from other departments.
Pros
Time to get thins done, any work you have not finished
Cons
No one over your shouder
What I've learned
Water Service Inspector I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2018
If you are a great worker your supervisors will hold you back from advancing your career within the City. Simply because great employees are hard to come by. I applied for another job which I'm more than qualified for. There is box that asked are you a current city employee. I selected yes. Now I've applied for jobs in the city before so I definitely know. When your application reach departmental review you would at least have had one interview sometimes two. Since I've been working for my supervisor I've applied twice to the same position and I've made it to departmental review twice without one phone call for a possible interview. Both times I later found the position was filled.
Pros
Job security
n/a
HR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2018
government job; tenured employees; public service top priority in all departments. Helping the citizens of Houston is the most important responsibility for all jobs.
A nice place to intern
Information Technology (IT) Intern- Interned (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2018
The people at the office are accommodating, and they are ready to teach you what you do not know to ensure maximum productivity. The work environment is also calm.
Fun place to work
Systems Analyst ll (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
The city is a great place to work. They really cared about their employees you had a home work life. Every day was something different it was a job to know what you were doing was helping others
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
productive
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2018
a typical work day would be loading trailer and heading to a job site and move from job site to job site trimming grass at different library blowing trash of the streets
Pros
fun crew
Cons
short breaks manager not lean selfish
Great Coworkers that focus on the customers
Captain/ Paramedic/ ARFF (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2018
The City Of Houston has unfortunately not kept up with the times to maintain a competitive environment for its fire and EMS personnel. Over 28 years, the department has fallen further behind the other larger cities in the state, and even the smaller ones within its own backyard.
In addition, the lack of planning and forecasting capital expenditures and maintenance has resulted in stations far behind current recommended standards for safety and health of the employees. This failure has also recreated the emergency fleet replacement needs from the late 1990's. History will continue to repeat itself in the COH unless forward thinking leaders are elected someday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Houston, TX. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss