City of Houston, TX Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good job.
Sr sideloader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
Career for someone with a family. Slow paced work but steady work. Great for people who want to retire from a place and grow within the company you work for.
Fantastic people
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2018
Gave me a chance to meet wonderful group of people inside and outside the office. I learned about different cultures around the Houston area and how the celebrate their cultures.
Working daily to improve customer satisfaction
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2018
The accurately reviewing billing of customer accounts was a high priority in the billing department. You ensure you prioritize the daily workload based on level of importance. Management made sure the department that each employee had all the tools they need to do their job. Everyone worked as a team to ensure the workload was completely daily. the hardest part of the job was to ensure we received all the necessary request from other departments in a timely manner. At the end of the day when the daily workload is completed in a timely manner.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Limited workspace
Great place to start a Career
Human Resources Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
Worked as an Intern and got to get my hands on a lot of special projects. People who work here are quite knowledgeable and willing to take time out of the day to mentor and grow new hires. Many opportunities to grow and develop from within the organization.
HPD Jail Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2018
I enjoy working for the city of houston and really wish we could work longer here or get a better pay raise and wish the city could have our back. It can be stressful and busy
City of Houston
Director (Former Employee) –  City HallMay 7, 2018
The City of Houston is a great place to work if your goal is making a difference in the lives of everyday citizens. However, as with many places, politics (personal and partisan) can make an impact on job performance.
Pros
job security, the ability to write your own job description and develop professionally
Cons
infighting and lack of long-range planning outside of core areas
Case Manager / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2018
This is great job to stay and keep as permanent job. The management is great as well. I have learned how our Mayor works so hard to be able to make things better for the City of Houston, I see it everyday, and it is hard the fact the sometimes the constituents don't understand how much money is needed to get back in our feet as Houstonians. I enjoy working to help people when they call our office.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Giving back to the community
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2018
Any position gives you the ability to work with the community/citizens on a daily basis on any needs or concerns they may have. Management change is a constant, so one who works here needs to be flexible.
great place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2018
Great place to work but as any other job in LE it comes with its Highs and Lows. Not a job for everyone.
Enjoyed my time there but it was time to move on. Too much stress for me and my family.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
low pay
day at the Mayors office
Administrative Specialist to Mayor Turner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2018
the work place here is very fast paced and busy due to the Mayors busy schedule. All the people I work with are amazing and kind but im looking for growth or promotion
Enjoyed working for the city.
Engineer Tech III / GIS Tech. (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2018
I found the City of Houston to be a fulfilled
place to work. I feel very proud to have
been able to assist in the development of
the COH GIMS web site that many uses on
on a daily basics.
contract position
Account management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2018
It was a pilot program and wasn't able to compete with mulit-million dollar companies but very good on education of the subject

Not really supported as far as training, you just had to jump in and go
Pros
city car to drive
Cons
distance to travel, coldness of downtown concrete - no nature, no trees
Very Unorganized
Family Services/Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2018
Supervision/Management is extremely poor.
The supervisors, and Assistant Director have worked in the departmental for 35+ years. They are set in their ways and do not choose to accept any type of suggestions that could make things better. They abuse their privileges, harass their employees, and make the working environment stressful.
Benefits
Cons
This is a secure place to work during downturns in the economy.
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
Typical day is 8 hours with a one hour lunch.

It is a large bureaucracy and decisions and changes are made slowly.

There is not much change for advancement within your job. Employees must apply for other city positions to get a promotion.
Pros
Protected Civil Servants
Cons
Low pay and benefits.
loveable
Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2018
the work day at city of houston storm sewer consist of a variety of things from cleaning gutters to building a whole new storm sewer system.I learned how to be efficient as a worker,the importance of getting projects done on time,how to work in any weather condition,and the importance of the storm sewer system to a community. The workplace was great because they provided ample opportunites to move up including offering to pay for schooling dealing with advancement in your position.The people who worked along side me were great and provided mentorship through my life as a young man being that i was the youngest on the crew. I would say this job taught me how to become a working man and i greatly appreiate that.
OK if you don't want to advance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2018
There is no hope for advancement if you aren't management's favorite. Co-workers are good people. Call center is not a place to grow with the company.
City government with a few enlightened leaders
Assistant City Attorney (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2018
Large bureaucratic city government. You are serving the public and helping the community. Your department and job title salary can get held hostage to politics and things well beyond your control.
Pros
Structured career paths, many locations, good people to work with, resource provided
Cons
Projects or directives can "turn on a dime, " Large projects go on, off then on again. dng
Its ok but repetitive
Accountant Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2018
Very simple job where you do the same thing every day. There isn't much more to say since management exercises a hands-off approach to managing and just expects you to get your work done.
Pros
Calm atmosphere
Cons
Getting a job here is borderline impossible
Productive fun workplace
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2018
There's a great work life balance. There's a variety of opportunities available in many different departments, but the pay just meet the expectations.
Cons
The pay doesn't meet the expectations.
productive
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2018
Well basically it had its good times at work. I learned a few different things there such as working water main lines, water meters and fire hydrants. We ensured the customer to be in service with drinking water. We also preformed a small amount of light construction if the needed to make repairs on the job sight. Sometimes we would oversee and assist other employees on different jobs.
Pros
ok place to work
Cons
benefits wasnt that great