City of Houston Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Professionalism
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2018
I love working for the City of Houston. The benefits are great and the culture is very family oriented. I met several friends whom I plan to maintain friends with them. I learned a lot and found my job to be very fulfilling. I was in a position to help citizens who were victims of crime by seeking justice. In addition I was able to provide information regarding resources they may qualify for depending on their situation.
Pros
Job security and a good income
Cons
the job was dangerous
Team work place
Customer Service Rep. I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
a typical work day would fly by because we worked with the public and we stayed busy with is a great thing. I learned a lot about permits and helping other. It takes a lot of patients. Our management team was awesome and very helpful. The hardest part of the job would be when your customer didn't meet all the standards and you have to be the one to tell him what he / she are missing. But with a right attitude and positive tone it usually ends with a huge thanks for directing me and sitting with me.
Pros
group meetings
Cons
angry customers at times not always
Fun and productive place to work
Career Coach (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2018
A typical work day was easy going and I could work at my own pace.
I learned many things while working with the Interns. They have very different personalities as well as abilities to perform the various skills that were asked of them.
Management and supervisors worked well with me in providing comprehensive information so that it would be a win win for me and the intern.
The workplace culture was very relaxed with No unnecessary pressure to achieve my work performance.
The hardest part of my job was keeping up with my visitation of Aquatics interns because of their schedules.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know each intern internsinternindividual
Pros
Free lunches and flexible time with family emergencies
Cons
Often the interns time sheets were not ready/completed for pick-up
City of Houston
Field Supervisor (NEQ) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2018
The City of Houston is a place you probably won't move up in, unless you are in the clique.
Hardest part of the job, putting up with all of the politics.
Most enjoyable, going home.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no future
productive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
If you are looking for job stability this is most definitely the place. I enjoyed the networking opportunity that I had while I was there. It was an awesome experience
Productive and fun job
Senior Plan Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 30, 2018
A typical work day is reviewing plans for sign administration. Scaling blueprints, verifying occupancy, and selling out permits. The hardest part of the job is sitting and looking at computer 80-90% of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customers happy!
It is an excellent place that I enjoyed working with them.
Sr. Information / Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Downtown, Houston, TXJuly 17, 2018
Yes, it is a great place to work. Good team, very functual, helping each other. Very good environment to work with. I really enjoyed working with them.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
Short brreaks
work
INVENTORY MANAGEMENT CLERK (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
work is good, I learned SAP program to manage inventory, management is great, and the most enjoyable part of the job is working around a good group of people.
Great place to start a career
Sales Lead/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2018
A typical day at work is consists of basic weekly maintenance of lift stations
I have learned a lot about Waste Water & the water system of the City
the management is very strict.
workplace culture is some what family oriented
Competitive and fullfilling
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2018
The best part of my job with the City of Houston was serving staff,
employees, customers and vendors. I learned how to represent the City and became a liaison or go to person. Management appreciates
an employee when they are organized and prepared for their daily
tasks. The workplace was very diverse in culture and I loved it. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was being recognized as an asset to the numerous managers and directors.
Pros
Annual employee award ceremonies
Cons
Discontinuance of merit raises.
Daily
Project Manager/ Consultant (Current Employee) –  West HoustonJune 30, 2018
Contact team members daily to review project status from the prior week, problems encountered over the last week, open items that need resolution, and tasks that need to be completed over the next week
My review
Sr. Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
I really enjoyed my job with the City of Houston, my co-workers were really awesome to work with. The hours was really good for me, and the location was good as well.
Relaxed
Sr. 311 Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
Working for the city of Houston has been both fun and challenging. Working in a call center can be stressful, because of the many departments that we provide information for.
Stressful Work Environment
Real Estate Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2018
I was promised one salary and it was never provided after a year and half. I also exceeded the expectations I also implemented new policies as well as created two new policies that provided additional income for the company besides the sales. After bringing in new business as well as building lasting relationships with a number of companies to provide services to, my effort and accomplishments were not recognized nor did I ever receive the bonuses that were promised after sealing the deals.
Pros
I love working out in the field and seeking and providing the need of the community
Cons
There was no compensation, and we were not provided with benefits as promised.
Decline
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
I have worked for the COH for nearly 10 years in a Elected Officials office. They need more structure and training. The overall environment is not what it should be for such an important piece of the City of Houston.
Pros
Leading more about the process and daily operations of the City of Houston.
Cons
No work life balance.
Great Enviroment
Driver/Material Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
I loved the job at the City of Houston, Great management, great benefits, easy assignments but the only discrepancy was the pay had to move on for career advancement
Pros
great benefits, job stability
Cons
low pay
very beneficial
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2018
It was a very beneficial experience working for the city of Houston. I learned a lot about the city as well as about the building I worked in. I also improved a lot of skills I had as well as gained skills I never had.
Pros
Beneficial
Cons
N/a
Temporary Job
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2018
Enjoyed working, hours and location, Good working environment,
Supervisors and Management was supportive. Would go back and work again. The location was very close to home and hours was very good
Pros
4 day work week
Short handed Long hours
Water Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJune 13, 2018
Averaged 60+ hours per week. No time for family or any activities other than work. Paycheck looked good, family life not so much. Couldn't keep quality people in key positions due to poor management.
Pros
lots of OT
Cons
Poor management
Productive fun place to work
SR REFUSE TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasJune 13, 2018
I like working for the city of Houston it's a good place to work benefits pretty good and supervisors and upper management are very nice I never had any problems with either. The only problem I have with the city of Houston is the pay I have a family to support and it's hard that's the only reason why I'm seeking other employment opportunities with better pay so I want have to struggle so hard from check to check.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Houston. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight