City of Huntsville, AL Employee Reviews

Easy and Honest work if your up for the heat.
TEMPORARY WORKER (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 1, 2019
You get assigned to a truck when you start and go on the same weekly routes so if you do all your work every week nothing overgrows. The only problem for a lot of people is they can't stand being out in the heat all day.
Fun place to work
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 28, 2019
I love my job and the people I come in contact with. I've learned a great deal of patience and skills working with people in the special needs community.
Awful place
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 16, 2019
This place sucks. If you don't agree with management you are the worst individual walking. They lie on you for no reason. They falsify documents. Won't give employees raises.
Pros
Good hrs
Standards administrative work
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 25, 2019
Great place to work, great benefits, great schedule, awesome people. A lot of advancement opportunities. Well paid for all positions. You can advance if your willing to work and train.
Pros
Pro employee
fast
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2019
Demanding but compensated for it, high value on safety, focus on quality products going to the customers, large company with a lot of room for growth, good atmosphere
Productive place to work
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 2, 2019
Productive place to work management is good friendly but it's still hard work. Making sure everything is cut right weedeated cleaning up stuff off the side of the road. The job taught me how to operate tractors took me around areas I have never seen new scenery.
4 day work week great
Truck Driver Class A equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 26, 2019
Took 10 years to top out pay scale $20.+ hr ..last few years they 'skip' your raise 'ever other'' year.. work very fast paced cant get done with your route if you take lunch or break route too big to complete without help because They want buy enough equipment and hire enough drivers to get it done.they never had enough trucks had mostly 30 year old truck fleet so many break downs every day trucks in shop trying to get parts and after 5 more trucks burned to ground some just sitting on yard raged out. Brakes out of ajustment no air ride seats. No ac/ some no heat they would let everyone drive your truck if you were off they tare up and trash yours because they were back up drivers so you would come back damaged or in shop then you wouldn't even have a truck.so they would work overtime Fridays cause we couldn't get done we didn't have to stop at dot scales wave us buy didn't have to have health cards.they had money to buy truck but wouldn't till got behind couldn't pick up garbage until public complaining about excuses then started replacing old worn out equipment finally i seen alot of people get hurt.some minor some serious injuries some hazardous materials working around used neddles human and medical waste.dead animals.working in around dangerous traffic.if you like too stand in the rain and the heat all day I've seen alot of people retire earlier than they wanted to just to get away from management.i couldn't wait to get away from there most of drivers and labors say. Like to leave.they made a handbook just for our department separate from rest of city need doctor excuse.  more... for 1 day sick even if you never call in sick because there allways short handed because thers allways people out.vacation.sick.hurt.etc.would ask you to change doctor appointment ask you medical questions like they never heard of hippa laws.it would have been a different job with different management.hard work or seniority doesn't mean anything.special treatment for special people..have seen alot people come go turn over alot of new employees .  less
Pros
Decent medical plan
Cons
Worn outdated trucks & equipment safety
incredibly fast pace
Public safety dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 14, 2019
very fun and interesting....great workmates and team work atmosphere...high stress and too fast pace....shift work is hard with having kiddos...talking in ten codes and verbage is different
Pros
City of Huntsville benefits
Cons
high stress...shift work
No review.
Police Officer/Detective (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 7, 2019
The City of Huntsville is not a company, and I would think that employment is much the same as any other city. A positive is that I was provided with a city vehicle to drive. A negative is that the cost of living raises are low.
Pros
I was provided with a city vehicle.
Cons
Low pay raises.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 15, 2018
The City is a great place to work. I really think there is a lot of career potential here for 20-30 yr old somethings. They pay is good. The health benefits are outstanding. My manager has a great open door policy and really knows his employees and supports them to the best of his abilities.
They say its easy to move up or around, however it is a little more difficult than they advertise. Also, I believe for Huntsville being a Military town (even though they don't think of themselves that way) there isn't a lot of knowledge or education of Veteran's benefits or programs that are implemented, i.e. Apprenticeship or OJT programs for select occupations.
There are employees that have been employed for 30+ years and have no plans on leaving even though they are topped out on the pay scale. I believe that there should be a max time of employment, because it would help open up advancement opportunities.
The last thing is because there has been a set "culture" or "that's just they way it is cause we don't like change" in certain areas they're not too open minded about doing something different or new that could make something better or more efficient.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, State Retirement, Job Security
Cons
Not subject to change, Lack of Veteran programs
Not a good job
Labor (Former Employee) –  HuntsvilleNovember 6, 2018
It's not a good job the hire who they want too and I wouldn't go back to this job any more been a temp ten years never got hired on full time I don't like how they treat temps at all
Pros
30 minutes
Cons
Short breaks
Nice job, not enough employees
Para-Transit Driver (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 17, 2018
I liked the job but management was severely lacking as far as taking care of its employees. Not enough workers so work was harder, which became stressful.
Pros
some clients were very nice.
Cons
some clients were very mean.
great people great pay great benefits
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 16, 2018
great people to work with. Get to work outside and enjoy the weather. you see a finished project each and everyday. great way to continue your education and training. great benefits
Very good work place
Landscape Laborer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 26, 2018
It was a very good place to work I loved it. The management was great and friendly very relaxed and easy work pay is good staff is great to be around and work with.
Great and rewarding career
Driver Engineer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 17, 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed and loved my job for the last 23-1/2 years. It has been extremely rewarding and fulfilling. Due to the schedule we work, 24 hours on and 48 hours off, I am away from family for a third of my life, but I also have a lot of time off. I am currently in search of something part-time to supplement my income.
Pros
Satisfaction from helping people in their time of need.
Cons
A lot of time away from family due to the type of schedule we work.
Fire Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 23, 2018
The city of Huntsville is great. Everyone I have met has been amazing. All 19 Fire stations have great staff as well. My manager and coworkers are all great. :) Long term benefits are great.
Benefits
money isn't everything
Grade IV Water Pollution Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 15, 2018
city of huntsville water pollution control dept. lacks vision for future growth. the technology and maintenance is the worst that i have ever seen. Management lacks knowledge and willingness to include or get input from the operators running these plants which leads to low moral, wasteful spending of tax payers money and a loss of optimal treatment of the wastewater. Work schedules and hours are the worst in all of Alabama and make it extremely difficult on operators and there families not to mention are very dangerous sometimes working 4 12hour day/nights straight with only 24hr turnaround and swap to the other day/nigh shift and work another 4 days/nights straight before getting a off day. once a month they have mandatory training which makes 2 operators having to work a 18 hour shift and not getting paid overtime. Over all if it wasn't for one of the highest paid grade iv operator jobs in Alabama, good benefits and state retirement this would by far be one of the worst managed and maintained companies i have ever been a part of.
Pros
pay, benefits, retirement
Cons
management, work schedule, operating equipment
Great Job!
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at Traffic Engineering for the years I worked. I learned so much about detailed communication, and the importance of being very precise regarding to the data entries.
Pros
Having the opportunity to advance with the City of Huntsville
Cons
Partime position doesnt requre benefits.
You don't work here for the pay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  City of Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2018
The COH has for the most part been a great place to work. You definitely don't come here for the pay but the benefits. Your experience with the City varies depending on what department you're in so keep that in mind. Overall, its a good place to work
Benefits
Great workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 14, 2018
great people and a great work place every day I was greeted so nicely by the front desk guy will what a nice guy everyone was so nice so very nice the work wasn't boring I sat in a chair and did nothing so great place