City of Huntsville, AL Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 14, 2018
great people and a great work place every day I was greeted so nicely by the front desk guy will what a nice guy everyone was so nice so very nice the work wasn't boring I sat in a chair and did nothing so great place
Would Not Recommend
Human Educator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 11, 2018
It is an over-worked, highly emotional job working with homeless animals. A very gossipy environment with lots of immature and ignorant people. Supervisors were inadequate and unskilled.
Would Not Recommend
I.D. Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 11, 2018
Supervisors are inadequate, ignorant and untrained. They just promote whomever they think will be the best "yes man" for the job. A very gossipy environment full of immature individuals.
Pros
8 hr shifts, insurance & benefits
Cons
everything else
Great Place
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 9, 2018
Working for the city of Huntsville is a great honor. The city is beautiful and the city employers are relatable. If you work hard your hard work is rewarded. If I didn't have to move I would remain in Huntsville until retirement.
Work Elsewhere
Police Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 8, 2018
There is almost no chance for advancement. It all depends on who you're related to or sleeping with. Stupidity and bullying are way too common and hard work and job knowledge is not appreciated
benefits
Cons
stressful, low pay, no chance of advancement, poor management
Great job and environment
Zoning and Plans Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 29, 2018
I was honored to work for and with such a great team. It was a pleasure to be involved in numerous, exciting commercial/residential developments in Huntsville.
Fulfilling job allowing one to make a difference in his/her community
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 29, 2018
I was very happy to serve and Zoning and Plans Support Officer for Zoning Administration. I worked with a great team and was involved in many exciting commercial and residential developments in Huntsville.
Productive place to work at
Landscape Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 1, 2018
Learned how to manage crew members and operate in stressful heat conditions while cutting grass for the baseball fields and soccer fields that were managed by the City of Huntsville
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Lazy employees
Nice colleagues and warm culture
GIS Analyst (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 5, 2018
I volunteered in GIS Department of the City of Huntsville for almost 5 months and I have to say that I didn't want to leave there. Firstly, I learned a lot about using ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. Whenever I had any questions, my mentor was always ready to help. Secondly, everyone was super nice in the office, we joked a lot and laughed a lot. My manager is the most humorous guy that I've ever met, he made us laugh all day. Thirdly, the culture in the office was really warm. We shared our snacks and even lunch with each other. Some elder colleagues were so caring that they try to help me not only on my work but also on my life. This was the best team that I've worked with.
Pros
Super nice people
Cons
Cold temperature
Bleh, Don't Apply
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 2, 2018
This could be a great place to work, but the "big boy" system played a much larger role than it should have. The management is more focused on feeling important than actually being managers, and there is a huge sense of entitlement.
Pros
Pay, Workload
Cons
Office Drama, Management, Probationary Period
Great work enviroment
Public transit system, clerk 1 (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 2, 2018
This is a great place to work, but progression is unsure. I would recommend anyone work for the city. Have a plan entrance and exit of this Agency. Good People.
Pros
Great Work Enviroment
Cons
unsure advancement
Enjoyed going to work everyday! This is so true.
Accountant 1 (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 18, 2017
City of Huntsville is a great place to work, great retirement benefits, sick leave, vacation pay. I had great department heads, all you had to do is come to work and do a good job.
Pros
I felt safe working there, people were great.
Cons
excellent benefits
Steady work
Paratransit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 28, 2017
Steady work, Employees take advantage. Good leaders in most departments. Great Healthcare, Outstanding clinic. Hard to move from your department if you are a good worker.
Awesome place to work.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 10, 2017
The City of Huntsville is an awesome place to work and reside in coupled with raise a family. Being a law enforcement officer, this job taught me many things daily and is constantly changing daily.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very stressful atmosphere
Fun workplace
Landscape Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 28, 2017
Cutting grass, cleaning streets, planting, and working city events. I learned how to drive tractor riding mowers,management was very great. workplace was fun everyday. hardest part was making the time pass. best thing was working city events.
Flexible Hours!
Referee (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 9, 2017
My booking agent was really helpful. She put me in training with great trainers that even officiated a few games with me, because experience is the BEST teacher. It also works around my college schedule, very grateful!
Pros
Good money.
Helping others in need
Public Safety Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 19, 2017
Worked as a dispatcher for Huntsville Fire and Rescue. Take 911 calls and dispatch proper fire apparatus to assist with medical calls, car accidents and fires.
Pros
friendly workplace, fast paced during calls, work/life balance
Cons
sitting for long periods of time
Wonderful management and great experience
Zoning and Plans Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 7, 2017
Working with the City of Huntsville was a wonderful, growing experience. Much of my leadership and confidence can be attributed to my previous management at the City. It was a wonderful environment and I was employed during a period of tremendous growth in the City. As an urban planner, my job was extremely exciting and diverse as I was in constant contact with developers, builders, contractors, business owners, and home owners. Serving the public was highly enjoyable and all aspects of my responsibilities made for a productive, fast-paced, and fulfilling work day.
Good Place to work
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 26, 2017
I have worked for the city of Huntsville for over 25 years. Great place to work! The benefits are great and the R.S.A. retirement is second to none. Overall the pay is ok, but the benefits make up for it.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Hard to get rid of the dead weight
Valuable Public Tool
Public Transportation Driver (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 15, 2017
Working for the public has never been so much fun as it was working for the City of Huntsville. The management was very friendly, open, and well experienced. The training I received was the best of all the jobs I have held so far. The employees and their friendly, welcoming, and supportive personalities made coming to work enjoyable.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere.
Cons
The occassional unhappy customer.