City of Huntsville, AL Employee Reviews

Usmc
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 26, 2015
Had fun in the job however, I told myself when it quit being fun it was time to get out. I left after 12 years 7 months and 2 days service. I was done
Fun place with amenities such as swimming pool, basketball courts, and ping pongs
Recreation /Office coordinator (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work is motivating and enriching. Patrons who frequent the facility takes advantage of use of the public library, indoor basketball court, Friday night volleyball games, indoor swimming pool with water aerobics. This facility has a variety of amenities open to the public as well as a great staff to work with.
Great Experience
Animal Care Technician/ Sheter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 5, 2015
Loved taking care of the homeless pets. It was wonderful to see them get adopted or to be taken back home.
Nice position with great benefits
Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 7, 2014
A typical day working with the City of Huntsville involved answering a multi-line phone system and directing all calls to the appropriate person, composing correspondence, creating and maintaining files and greeting customers.
Most of my co-workers were nice. My supervisor was bi-polar and very angry most of the time. Though I filed harassment charges against him with Personnel, nothing was done on my behalf. This supervisor was a personal friend of the Department Head. Not only was his behavior overlooked; it was allowed to continue.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with this Supervisor on a daily basis. I found that, while working with the City; how well you did your job didn't matter. It was more about who you knew in the Departments. I later transferred to another Department.
I enjoyed my new position and liked everyone with whom I worked. I married a few months later and moved to another city in the same state, thus leaving the City of Huntsville.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very political
stable employment
WPC Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 21, 2014
we made rounds at the plant every 2 hours, learned how to operate a wastewater plant, direct supervisors were good,coworkers were great,hardest part of job was you worked in all elements of weather, the most enjoyable part was the work itself
benefits
Cons
no real cons
Positive work force with great team work.
State Crew (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 7, 2014
We would work consistently up until lunch then we would finish the day off on a consistent basis as well. I learned that when Your boss see the level of quality work in you, they will do they best to reward you. The management was great they were firm, but at they same time very fair. they would make sure in every aspect that you understood all rules, and they made sure that everyone benefited from them.Me and my co-workers were very good to one another. We formed a working bond that made our group stand out. There wasn't really a hard part, but nobody or no situation is perfect. What I enjoyed was getting acknowledged by my work ethic.
Pros
Positive work force
Cons
there was none
City of Huntsville
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 21, 2014
The City of Huntsville has many job opportunities. The pay is very good along with the benefits.
Pros
Helping the residents of Huntsville
Cons
Certain life and death situations within the job.
Something to do for the summer
Irrigation Systems Management (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 3, 2014
On a typical day i would dig holes outside and try to discover where a leak or break in a pipeline might be. Also we would make plans to make new pipes in small areas of a piece of land like greenhouses
i enjoy what i do.
Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 23, 2013
a typical day at work is mainly taking phone calls from resident's, and relaying the calls to the supervisor of that route. also relaying information about our services, filing, payroll, doing work orders.

we are a team, my co-workers and I, we help each other out at all times if it is needed, the hardest part about this job is some of the resident can be very rude, but that's part of the job, you handle it the very best way you can, the most enjoyable part of the job is you know you are actually helping people, and you know what you are doing, and just being here, in this position.
city worker
Casual Laborer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 5, 2013
i worked there for 25 plus years thu several mayors benfits are good there is time there is too much going on then there is times when very little
at times it makes you feel like too many cheifs & not enough indians
theres always something going on,might be new or day-to-day stuff
hard part trying to do maintance when the place is open during bussiness hours
and dealing with the public, cant please everybody
Pros
not hard job to do
Cons
out in the weather & dealing with the public
A very good job
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 26, 2013
The work environment was enjoyable. The management was very good. I learned a lot about the Esri ArcMap software. My co-workers were equally good.
okay company
City of Huntsville Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 8, 2013
poorly managed but overall they have great benifits excellent work hours so I cant complain
Pros
great hours
Best job ever
Traffic Safety Aide (Crossing Guard) (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2013
As a Crossing Guard for the City of Huntsville, I had the opportunity to serve the city, enjoy fair compensation, provide a safe environment for our kids and drivers as well as be a part of a very positive and professional group of people.

Typical morning starts at 7:10 and ends at 8:05. You return to your post whatever time school lets out and leave half hour or one hour later, depending on the school. You always get paid for 4 hours, but usually work about 2 hours.

Post vary as far as traffic, pedestrians, etc

The hardest part of the job is when someone is unnecessarily rude or tries to slip by you when you are trying to control traffic/cross children. I literally almost got ran over a couple of times at a very busy post. (Please be nice to your crossing guard...she really is just trying to do her job)

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the many smiling faces and waving hands of children and drivers.

Extra hours are available as traffic patrol for races, parades, etc
Pros
Positive, meaningful work
Cons
Only part time work available and the occassional rude driver
Great Co-Workers
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 10, 2013
Great company to work for but difficult to move up in the company.
not bad for seasonal work
Landscape Management -TEMP (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 26, 2012
nice people to be working around only downside is no fulltime employment only part time or seasonal work
Summer Internship
GPS Crew (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 26, 2012
Exciting time during college to try and focus my studies to work experience. Allowed me to meet people who later hired me to my current position.
Great Environment and Opportunity
Zoning Administrator and Plans Review Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 26, 2012
I have been in a fantastic position for both learning and growing in the workplace. I cannot find any complaints or issues within my department, or the city for that matter. I work in an office with 7 individuals that all get along and respect each others positions. I enjoy working with engineers, surveyors, and attorneys to help solve issues regarding building and site development on properties.