City of Hutchinson Employee Reviews

Fast-paced and stressful, but can be meaningful work
Zookeeper (Former Employee) –  ZooJuly 2, 2018
I can only speak for the zoo, but it is a good team to work with and if you enjoy being a zookeeper, it is a good fit. There is a lot of work to fit into the day and it can be stressful, but it would be worth it for the right person.
City of Hutchinson
Parks Worker (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJune 25, 2018
Great place to work. I loved the flexibility, freedom and fast paced days. The management was wonderful and the hourly pay was perfect for what I needed to be able to take care of my family comfortably.
Look somewhere else if you're an urban planner
Planner (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJune 2, 2018
This review is for the planning department. It does not apply to any other department within the city.

Look elsewhere if you are thinking about applying for a planning job. The planning department has a very high turnover rate for a reason.
There is very poor management in the department: favoritism, opportunities to real or perceived mistakes all to say "gotcha!" and penalize you. Total micromanagement by management of every facet of the job.

The pay is very low compared to other cities in Kansas. The planning department is understaffed and overworked. Planners have countless interruptions throughout the day with little time to get work done. There is not a department secretary so expect to stop what you're doing to help customer walk ins, phone calls, and emails. All of that eats valuable time to do projects....then you're penalized for not meeting deadlines but management does not take into consideration the huge customer volume or hire a department secretary and more planners to help out.

You will be setup to fail in the department.
Pros
Cons
Read above
Awesome position for the right person.
Dispatcher Trainee (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSMay 23, 2018
Amazing managers, supervisors, and co-workers. Excellent training program. However, the anxiety and stress I have personally endured is effecting my health. This is an awesome position for the right person.
Pros
People, pay, benefits, learning
Cons
Anxiety and Stress
Typical government job. Average salary and benefits. Union memberships supported
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSFebruary 3, 2018
It wasnt bad depending on the position. As a police officer there is little room for lateral movement. Once you are assigned a shift on patrol it is difficult to get away from it. The rotating 12-hour shifts allow for plenty of time off but interfere if your weekends are busy as you work every other weekend. The administration is pretty stagnant with most of them being out of touch with Patrol work. While they do support Patrol they tend to give in to the city's demands easily. The Departments benefits are not competitive with similar sized departments. They do not offer bilingual pay, education pay, and they just took away our longevity pay. The starting pay is pretty good but after that it's a performance-based scale.
Find Your Niche
Janitorial Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJanuary 24, 2018
A lot has changed since I left but my position was "seasonal" with 40 hour weeks M-F and some nights. The people in my department were great with each other and looked out for each other, including temps. If it had been full-time as it is now, with pay and benefits, I might've stayed, however, my growing family at the time could not get by on my $8.00 an hour, so I enlisted in the military and left shortly after my return from training.
Pros
Great team, relaxed environment, management kept distance and let people get their work done.
Cons
Uncertain now, a lot has changed.
Fun work environment
Park Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNOctober 9, 2017
I enjoyed working for the City of Hutchinson as a seasonal worker. I had a good relationship with the Supervisor and my co-workers. My job had a variety of responsibilities, which I enjoyed performing.
Stressful but clean and polite place to work.
Rental Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSAugust 18, 2017
I felt I had to do things that were not in the job description and they kept adding tasks to the position, It was more of a social work job then it was a home inspector.
City Center
Human Resources Technician (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJune 25, 2017
I had the best experience working for the City of Hutchinson. My position reported to the Director of Human Resources and this manager was one of the best mentors, fair, and level headed people I have had the privilege working for. It was difficult to leave this job when we had to move.
Pros
Great management
Cons
tight budget for getting special events planned
Decent job, but too political
Operator (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJuly 21, 2016
Comparatively good pay, and friendly co-workers, but weak union and inefficient use of resources. Little upward mobility.
Pros
Steady and reliable job
Cons
Yearly increases in deductions outweigh pay raises

Want to know more about City of Hutchinson?

Ask a question
Always something new going on
Animal Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSDecember 16, 2014
I would write up reports on the computer system and respond to all kinds of animal calls through out the day. Anything from roadkill that needs picked up to animals running loose or chasing people. I would document all animal bites that occurred inside the city limits. I would also maintain my truck keeping it clean and functional. I would also write citations and appear in municipal court.
Pros
always something new
Cons
long days
Intesting Place to Work
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSAugust 27, 2014
Check email and plan day accordingly
How to monitor grants and pledges
Management helped me to understand government accounting and helped me improve on my skills
Co-workers were easy to get along with
Hardest part - trying to learn a new task without help
I enjoyed working with grants and the people
Good Workplace
Lift Station Maint (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSMarch 21, 2014
A very friendly workplace. As long as your doing your job, it's a great place to work. Very steady, very honest, & very friendly.
Grerat benefits Superintendent easy to work for
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  City of HutchinsonMarch 2, 2014
Making sure water quality for the environment and residents great responsibility.