City of Irving Employee Reviews

Not my place
PLANNING & SUPPORT MANAGER, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 23, 2018
I know a lot of people work for the government is easy but the culture in this city is awful. I have worked in others and it's not as pent up as this.
all you are is another body until you get injured and that is only a matter of time
Waste Management Driver (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 29, 2018
There are no regulations for the citizens of Irving, whatever they want to set at the curb is required to be picked up. The solid waste director sais there are limitations but any time you call in to enforce those regulations you are told to pick it up no matter the weight or amount. An average house should consist of three to five bags of trash twice a week not fifteen to thirty that are over weight and busting apart when you have to get the bag up at least three feet in order to get it in the back of the trash truck. any time you are injured it is always your fault not the fact that our bodies are not meant for that much over working. This is why other cities have gone to automated due to the injuries of their employees but at Irving the health and well being of an employee is nothing compared to a dollar.
Pros
Cons
the job itself
Good employment
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Competitive with most metropolitan cities regarding pay, and benefits. I have no regrets regarding my career here. I would recommend this city to anyone who likes challenges. I even referred my son.
Terrible Management + No overtime pay
Aquatic Center Staff (Former Employee) –  IrvingJune 18, 2018
The management was extremely immature and did not know how to properly manage a group of people. The pay is not enough for the ridiculous amount of hours and labor lifeguards have to do. This place is the worst job you could have in the city.
Cons
Poor management
Was productive and a good work enviorment
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 12, 2018
this job was not that stressful it was relaxing and a great place to work for. sure the pay was not that great, but it was just a summer job. I would highly recommend taking a look at the city of Irving
Pros
Great work enviorment
fun and relaxed
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 25, 2018
the work day was busy at times due to the large amounts of programs we had at the pool, I learned that you need to have a good mental focus for the job. the most enjoyable part of the job was working outside all day
Productive and enthusiastic atmosphere
Aquatic Facility Supervisor & Operator (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 22, 2018
Great experience! Good management and company culture. Most enjoyable part are the coworkers and managers. Overall a good place to work. Highly recommend!
City of Irving
TRAFFIC SIGNAL TECHNICIAN I (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 19, 2018
The City of Irving is a good place to work. They have good benefits and great retirement plan. They are flexible with your schedule and depending on your department you can work overtime.
Laid back family type atmosphere
Irving (Former Employee) –  IrvingJanuary 18, 2018
Review emails I usually had tailgate meetings to review priority work for day who needed what safety classes or required H R classes to attend just get job done if something is needed Just Ask and don't assume someone knows
City of Irving Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 21, 2017
Working in the City of Irving as an intern was interesting, you get to work with professional Civil Engineers and Architects. You get assigned projects and get a due date to finish them. They get evaluated after.
nice peoples great place to work
Maintenance Coordinator/Custodial (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 18, 2017
come into the center floors would need cleaning picking up paper cleaning restrooms assisting customers with helping to prepare for certain events prepare for special events at night stay late sometimes to take down event very nice staff to work around
Urban Planner at City government
Planner (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 8, 2017
Planning can be an interesting profession to get into. It has routine elements and can be fast paced but the work is also varied and challenging. As a whole, the work can be as interesting as you choose to make it.
Pros
Work on interesting projects and feeling of making a positive difference in the community you serve.
Cons
Personality conflicts, Budget difficulties.
Good company to work for
Driver - Sanitation Truck (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 27, 2017
Good company and good management. I would choose to still be employed there had I not of had to move to McKinney due to family situations and unforeseen circumstances. I would already have been retired by now.
Duties
Equipment Operator (Solid Waste) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 6, 2017
Drive our designated route and pick up all trash/recycle. We work in teams of two. One person will throw trash/recycle for about an hour while the other drives, then we rotate until the route is complete. We then go and assist the other crews until the day is done. Once all trash is collected, we deliver it to the Irving landfill or recycle center in Fort Worth. At the end of the day we perform pre/post trip on all vehicles, refuel, and clean inside of cab. On Thursdays, all trucks are to be washed.
Very little training for job.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 20, 2017
Brought in to work with the city on the contract. Upper management did not provide much training. I felt like I was left to figure things out on my own.
intake person
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 10, 2017
answer the phones do intakes of clients that may need rental assistant and also light help let the clent know if they are approved or not for the services
Part Time Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 7, 2017
Obtained water meter readings for customers utilizing company vehicle for billing purposes. Reporting damages and maintainance request using handheld computer device.
Great Place to Explore
Self Employed Contractor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 4, 2017
Awesome city to work with. They provide alot of the tools you need to able able to display and showcase your work. They encourage you to continue with your talent and to participate in more events. Irving also reaches out to you periodically to see if they can help in anyway. They make it easy to be sucessful.
Pros
Meeting people and networking.
Cons
None.
Ok for a retiree
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 25, 2017
This is excellent for a retiree who does not need to make too much to affect their pension.

Working with children and mothers is enjoyable. So it is a friendly environment. Unfortunately there is no room for advancement or increased hours.
Pros
Friendly environment, easy hours
Cons
No benefits, no advancement, little compensation.
long hours but fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 13, 2017
A typical day is spent talking to customers and taking care of the pool.
I have learned self control at the pool, and managment.
The work place is fun enviorment especially for the customers that come often.
The hardest part about the job is the summer heat.
the enjoyable part is that it is a pool and we have fun while working.
The managment at the pool owned by the city is great.
Pros
get to swim for free
Cons
heat