City of Jacksonville, FL Employee Reviews

Custodian
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 2, 2019
Been working with the city of jacksonville for 2 years. There is no room for advancing. The supervisors are backstabbers and constantly causing drama.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short breaks, no advancement
Fun , Fashion
Publix (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 26, 2019
The Body Shop Is a Fun & Fashion
Store I Loved Helping All my customers
With outfits as they shop , Even Had a couple of customers come back to the store just to receive my daily fashion tip .
Stay Away
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 18, 2018
I worked for JPL for 3 years. Some of the coworkers you meet are great, others are so terrible you literally dread going to work everyday but you can’t escape them. And good luck asking for a transfer, they will just say no until it is convenient for them to transfer you. Managers don’t always know what they’re doing, and you definitely don’t get the support you need regarding outreach, programming, planning. Also - I was paid $40k to supervise, do 60% desk time, and just generally do a ton of work that I never had time to fully complete. It was madness and I’m so, so glad i’m gone.
Pros
Benefits, paid leave
Cons
Hostile working environment, work load, pay
District 4 Medical Examiner Office
Autopsy Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 19, 2018
I absolutely loved my job but I encountered two major problems while working for the City of Jacksonville. The work load can be a tad bit heavy and higher management lacks the knowledge to aid in anyway possible. Typical work day depends on the caseload starting at 8am and ending at 4:30 Monday-Saturday. Paid time off is cumulative every 2 weeks and can add up fairly quickly. Try to use as much as vacation time as possible by the end of the year, only 40 hours will roll over. Everyone was so nice, doctors included, and will assist when needed. The pay is decent and every year a pay increase in applied. This place has a huge turn over rate and it will continue to with the incompetent individual that is in charge.
Pros
Insurance, Pay, and Paid Time Off.
Fast pace physically demanding
Worker1 (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 15, 2018
Early start late getting off hot cold weather road on back of garbage truck work is all physical very fast paced often times you have to help others with their routes lots of overtime
It was an ok summer job
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 22, 2018
fun with flexible hours and unlimited possibilities I communicate with the kids teach swimming lessons and make sure everyone is having fun and being safe
Think twice
Code Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 1, 2018
Though working for the city may sound great, think twice before you apply. Make sure you are well versed in office politics and dont get caught up in the office games. Never trust who you work with and it is best to keep to yourself.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
politics
is was fun place to work.
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 26, 2018
City of Jacksonville gives a great opportunity for advancement. Also, learning opportunities. They can be flexible with your work schedule and school schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is working five days a week , and don't have too work in weekend,
Good Public Servant Experience
Social Services Specialist Senior (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaApril 25, 2018
I enjoyed the type of work and services I provided to the public as a social worker. I enjoyed working my former coworkers, we worked together to help make the workplace more pleasant and less stressful. The experience and knowledge of city government rules and regulations is priceless and it will benefit me in my future career.
Pros
Good Public Social Work/Social Services Experience and Knowledge
Cons
The job was stressful at times.
Great Assignment
Supervisor of Elections (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 24, 2018
This job was seasonal I was just hoping that I would have been selected to be permanent employee. I received a great letter of recommendation from my manager whom became a city council person
people
Administration/Library/Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 19, 2018
I have met a lot of people in the years that I worked for the city. I have many years of experience with the library and have met wonderful people there.
Pros
library staf
Cons
public works staff
No benefits-No Pay
Automotive and Truck Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 24, 2018
Working for the City of Jacksonville is like walking on to another world. Horrible management, Unsafe-Dirty working conditions, Low pay, and only average benefits. Examples: Promotions are based solely on single written tests and tenure (not actual job performance, or experience). Health insurance is average BCBS and is NO cheaper than your average company. There is NO MORE PENSION plan, so now you are paying for your own retirement (like most everybody else). The shop and equipment is substandard. Have you a full set of tools (including specialty tools), and expect to work in a extremely dirty shop with equipment that is falling apart. Nothing gets repaired or replaced quickly here as it is put up for vendor bidding, then review. The only REAL benefit to working for the city, is paid time off (holidays). If you are only a parts changer (not a mechanic) and like working in a factory setting with management barking orders and cursing at you, then this job may be for you. Do your homework PRIOR to accepting employment with the City of Jacksonville. Good Luck.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Poor Management, Pay, Benefits, Working Conditions
Great opportunity
Revenue Collector Senior (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2018
Being employed by the City of Jacksonville has been a great opportunity for the past 6 years. I am greatful for all the information I have learned working for the city, but I feel that it is time to branch out and grow.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of increased pay.
In transition
Dietitian Coordinator (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 18, 2018
The City of Jacksonville was in transition at the time of my employment. The best part of the position was that it was flexible and the fulfilling. The culture was somewhat negative.
My review is mainly in regards to the Jacksonville Public Library
Library Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 5, 2018
Admin is extremely rude and condescending to "lower level" workers aka library clerks, when we are actually the reason the libraries are able to be up and running. Without library clerks there would be no JPL.
Pros
amazing coworkers, great benefits, easy access to library materials
Cons
micro managing, terrible customers, lack of respect from admin, low pay
The City of Jacksonville is an excellent public employer
Asst. Management Improvement Officer for HR (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 30, 2018
I worked in the HR Department and Training Department during my time at this job. I found it to be very enjoyable because of the excellent staff. The opportunities were limitless at the City.
Pros
Great opportunity to advance and build a professional career.
Rigid work environment
Executive Council Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32202January 27, 2018
Work closely with the community which can be challenging at times. Sometimes the hardest thing is to want to help someone but unable to satisfy them due to policy and procedures
Pros
Networking opportunities, perks
Work environment
PM, ITD PMO (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 16, 2018
Average work environment, lack of opportunity to advance, not the most open environment in terms of information sharing and very territory protective in terms of departments.
Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 27, 2017
Very relaxing, routine work. Busiest time will be end of the month. It's easy because I've bee doing this for over 15 years. Free parking, close to home and school.

The only thing I dislike is poor management, no communication within the division. Division seems to be so disconnected and the bad part is management does seem to care.
Pros
location
Cons
management
Very low key even though it can be very physical work.
MAINTAINANCE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 26, 2017
Getting your job tickets in the morning was usually accompanied by a few snacks and a coffee to get you going which was very fun and . beneficial, especially towards the overall moral.
Pros
Cookout on Monday after payday
Cons
Sometimes over worked