City of Jacksonville, FL Culture reviews

In transition
Dietitian Coordinator (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 18, 2018
The City of Jacksonville was in transition at the time of my employment. The best part of the position was that it was flexible and the fulfilling. The culture was somewhat negative.
Very competitive
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 16, 2017
Very face paced but very competitive, nice and friendly workers. Good work days etc. must remain alerts at all times on the job though. Very cool seasonal job.
Pros
Break time
Cons
Weather
Very challenging
Supervisor Marilyn Prophet (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 18, 2017
It was a challenge for me but I managed . I loved the people I worked with . And the work I was able to learn & experience. The workers around me were very helpful.
Pros
Communication
Cons
The Job offered me an opportunity to make great money and have the best paid benefits.
Correctional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 15, 2017
A typical workday started early but also ended early. I was able to gain great work experience and management skills. The culture was para/military has very structured .
Some days fun some not but always got the job done
Ditch Crew (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 30, 2017
I learned how to work as a team. Get ditches to flow better. An also to become a better person. Working for the city was great it taught me how to overcome obstacles.
Nice environment
Medical Records Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 12, 2017
Working at Vistakon was a wonderful experience. I was able to meet nice people and had really great opportunities there. The management was wonderful and I loved everyone that I worked for.
Knowledge of the city street and location
Driver/Operator of both garbage (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 4, 2017
The typical work day is driving on your designated routes picking up recycling bins and trash. I got to learn different parts of the city and the workplace culture enhanced my team member spirit.
Benefits
Cons
Outdoor weather
love it
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 15, 2017
I loved working for the city nice wonderful co-workers as well as managers. great chill job also it deals with kids so you have to like children.
Very competitive atmosphere, great opportunity to move up in the company.
Electronic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 28, 2017
A great place to work for very laid back. Given monthly goals and opportunities to do extra work and implement growth. Higher ups care about the balance of work and family
Pros
little supervision
Cons
seasonal.
Comfortable working atmosphere
Part-time Clerical (Former Employee) –  Public Library, City of JacksonvilleFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at the Public Library is an enjoyable exchange between employees committed to serving the public and patrons who appreciated the available resource.
Library services must keep up with technology so its employees are constantly learning to use new software and equipment.
Management keeps focus on the work mission but also considers family commitments by offering sufficient time off in the benefits package.
Working in the public library system exposes employees to people who may have no other comfortable place to spend the day which can be emotionally draining to witness.
A diverse learning environment is the best way to describe the workplace culture.
As an adult educator the greatest reward is helping a student to achieve what they thought was an unattainable goal.
Pros
Vibrant location
Cons
Must pay for parking
Forward Movement Culture
Manager - Housing Services (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 17, 2017
The job gives you what you put into it. Provides a support and professional development culture for all. Full accountability is expected. Opportunities to do more for the community is abundant.
Internship with a lot of field experience
ADA Surveyor (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 3, 2016
a typical day would include a morning briefing with light chatter. We would come up with a plan of action for the day. We would break into teams to conquer our task for the day.

Team management was well executed.
Supervisor was very reliable.
The hardest part of the job was data entry.
Fun work environment.
Pros
Free Lunch.
Cons
short break
Exciting place to work
Certified Police Bailiff (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 18, 2016
Typical day at work was getting prepared for the inmates to come before the judge. I've learned to work with lawyers and judges. Management was understanding. Coworkers we stuck together like family. Hardest part of the job was listening to the family of victims during trial. Enjoyable part was hanging out with the judges
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Listening to victim stories during trial
Great environment and people to be around.
Scorekeeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMay 22, 2016
I learned patience and how to deal with confrontations with people properly. Working here for the most part was a great environment, there were occasional downs but we fixed any problems we had and everything was moving smooth again.
great mission
PAYROLL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Great mission - i believe the hearts of the employees are in a good place. Hardest part of the job, was listening to the stories of the warriors. the enjoyable part of my job was to see how the warriors get together with their brothers and sisters and events.
awesome
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 16, 2015
This is an awesome place to work, a lot of room for advancement, flexible work hours, great management. You would love it
Excellent core value system
Certified Police Judicial Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 15, 2013
I loved working for the City of Jacksonville and what I've learned in the years working there was team spirit among my fellow co-workers. It was more like being around your family. We all celebrated birthdays, supported each other in times of need, death, etc. This included the Judges and attorneys. The Judges treated us not as employees or subordinates, but as friends. They were supportive and listened to our ideas, suggestions on how to run the courtroom efficiently. The hardest part of my job was not arresting the defendants, but the listening to death cases during a trial. We would hear personal, graphic details on what the victim had gone through at the hands of the accused.
Pros
socializing with co-workers during breaks
Cons
no opportunity for advancement from judicial officer
Secure Place to work
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FlNovember 14, 2012
Working for the City of Jax/Library was a nice place to work. I learned how to manage and deal with the public as well as my co-workers. Hardest part of the job was sometime dealing with the public when things didn't go there way.
Set your own hours
Supervisor of Elections (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 9, 2012
Working here was great fun. The supervisors were great and I learned so much working with this company
Pros
set your own hours
Cons
temporary position
A place of no return can be very stressful at times
Tax Collector, Revenue Collector (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2012
Every day you learn something new, from customer or your co-worker, the hardest part of job is keeping up with all the new changes. Best part of the job is knowing when a customer is happy with the end results
Pros
you have a job
Cons
under paid