City of Jacksonville Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
A good place to gain work experience.
Jacksonville (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 13, 2018
The City of Jacksonville provides a Diverse Working Environment with advancement opportunities,
Good Benefits, Everyday was different when it comes to servicing the public, which I enjoyed. Some days was more challenging that others because clients needs and situations were all different.
Pros
Variety of Career Opportunties
Cons
Social Work is very rewarding but it can be stressful too
fun place to work
inspector motor vehicle (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 12, 2018
I enjoyed working here, it was fun and great. The environment is very friendly and positive. Everyone motivates to do to better each day. Flexible schedules and easy going.
Active community with loving smiles.
Recreational Worker (Former Employee) –  Dupree ParkMay 8, 2018
While working for the City of Jacksonville, I worked with a lot of friendly, mature women. They welcomed me, taught me, and even fed me from time to time. The management was okay at the time, but it could have been a lot worse. The hardest part of my job was grilling hamburgers and chicken breast for customers. The job was fairly easy and relaxing, but the temperature was high so I would become hot. Overall, the City of Jacksonville is a lovely environment with productive workers and smiling guests.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Always hot outside
Good Company an government agency
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  117 W duval stDecember 9, 2017
It was a good job with awesome benefits but the pay didn't match. But the benefits and the accrued paid leave is amazing.A typical day of work consisted of construction type work.
Pros
Good benefits and paid time off .
Cons
low pay scale
Poor Management
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 30, 2017
Management within the City of Jacksonville does not recognize employees day to day. They spend time and money trying to save money from insurance, but don't spend anytime with the employees.
Leaves Much to be Desired
Wastewater Plant Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 26, 2017
Depending on which department your in, this can be a great job, or absolutely terrible. People have a tendency of stabbing each other in the back or leaving one person to carry the weight of the entire team. The leadership is also very terrible. The head of the city as well as the supervisors of departments care more about themselves and their image over the well being of their employees. This often leads to stress and unnecessary unemployment.
Pros
Paid time off, health and dental benefits
Cons
On call, poor leadership, bad worker image, high turnover rate
Great Place to Work in Jacksonville
Public Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  City HallJuly 20, 2017
The staff with the City of Jacksonville are excellent and are of high moral integrity. Government jobs, however, are typically lower-paying and have less advancement opportunities. However, with that said, this was one of the best jobs available in an area that does not have a lot of opportunity.
Pros
People, every day something new, stability
Cons
Pay
Real productive workplace great equipment
Street Department (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXJanuary 30, 2017
Good job. There was always something to do! Somedays were about troublesome due to the weather but we always managed to figured out a way.
Watching kids
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Grand Park, FLSeptember 14, 2016
I learned how to be patience and how to work with people as a team and to be the best you can be.The hardest part of the job was siting in the sun. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work.
Pros
Had fun
Cons
Short breaks
Good steady work
CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 15, 2016
Full days,always busy, always a special event or special project. Many Civic events to prepare for. Enjoyed learning how to set up ballfields. Enjoyed my time there
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
training was lacking
Difficult manual labor with fun atmosphere
Maintenance Worker II (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 23, 2016
Outdoor, manual labor job with a lot of variety. I've learned a lot about landscaping and how to operate machinery. Management can be a bit disorganized but my co-workers really make the job fun.
Great work place, had good working equipment,
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ORJune 7, 2016
It was a great place to work employees got along with one another work orders were always in order paper work was easy to understand
Pros
Work vehicle was provided along with all the equipment needed
Cons
Energetic and learned experiences.
Seasonal Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Beach, FL 32233April 7, 2016
A typical workday would include learning more on first aid, reviewing first responder skills, and utilizing CPR certifications. Gained knowledge on working with diverse populations and handling stressful and chaotic situations in a professional manner. Management and co-workers made the job have the energetic atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would be a 10 hour day in the heat. The most enjoyable part of the day was the satisfaction in helping others.
Administrative Asst./ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 9, 2016
l enjoyed giving a smile to each and every customer. l was able to give information & be a Notary Public. Each day working there was never a dull moment. l was given many tasks & was a trusted employee. My coworkers were like family & we all got along well. l will miss my coworkers but the experience there was worth it all.
Pros
Great benefits
steady work, little advancement opportunity, great benefits
Air Conditioning/Heating Technician (Former Employee) –  City of Jacksonville*February 17, 2015
Perform service to a wide variety of equipment. Could be difficult acquiring necessary funding for repairs. Camaraderie among employees was excellent. Benefits were excellent.
Pros
Reliable salary, health coverage was a plus
Cons
very little advancement
Brotherhood
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXAugust 14, 2014
There is not one bad thing I can say about the City of Jacksonville Police Department. The Department is more like a family. When a person was hurting we all hurt. When a person did outstanding, we all did outstanding. We all came together to make sure the citizens of Jacksonville were safe and could rely on the Jacksonville Police Department.
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Special EventsJuly 25, 2014
• Writing press releases, news releases, bios for the Jacksonville Jazz Festival
• Organized and prepared spreadsheets
Busy
Lifeguard/Cashier (Former Employee) –  201 Martin StreetJuly 21, 2014
Lifeguards are respected and management needs workers who have common sense and patience
Pros
outside, kids leadership
Cons
outside heat, uncomfortable bathing suits, rule breakers
co workers very friendly
Financial Accountant and Grant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXMay 1, 2014
this was a job I took after "retiring" from Houston and moving to East Texas. I promised them 5 years and left exactly 5 years to the day.
Pros
low pressure atmosphere most days
Cons
cut off of of water day was stessful
great place
Director of Public Services (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXMarch 14, 2014
Satisfying work for the community. Enjoyed serving the citizens