City Of Lawrence Employee Reviews

Poor management
Administrative Support II (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 30, 2018
Management favored certain employees over others displaying special treatment. The employees less liked by the manager were limited on bathroom visits and breaks as only one person was allowed to be away at a time. Family had to be cut off during working hours as making it extremely difficult for doctors to follow up after appointment or be contacted from schools if child is sick or injured. Lack of training and coaching support to insure a successful team for the corporation. Managers focus is not for the best or fairness of the consumer as it should be.
Pros
Benefits and hours
Cons
stress, treatment
Temp job
Rental Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 31, 2017
The position was temporary, but staff was friendly. The town began a Rental Program that was more involved than they anticipated. Not all citizens were on board with the changes being made. City Administration buckled to the pressure. Supervisors should have had training on supervising others. We ended up cleaning up that person's mess prior to their promotion in addition to our current case load. Overall, I believe the City Admin meant well.
Productive and Supportive
Rock Chalk Park Maintenance/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 13, 2017
Supportive team environment to work in. I enjoyed opening Rock Chalk Sports Park and feel that this is a great addition to the community it serves. I enjoy seeing the expansion continue.
Switch shifts every month.
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 29, 2017
It is a good place to work. The upper management sometimes does to much micro managing. Night shifts are good your L we ft to run the plant and make your own decisions.
Pros
Pay. Compensation
Cons
Micro management
Public service and also dangerous
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 19, 2017
Enjoyed protecting and serving my community. Very dangerous at times but rewarding when you can be of service to someone. The opportunities to public relations and conflict management have served me well.
Highly trained and very skilled police department
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 8, 2016
With all police work, there was no telling what everyday would bring. However, the Lawrence Police Department is, I believe, the best police department in the state of Kansas. They pride themselves on being highly trained and skilled in working with the different populations in the city.
Horticultural Knowledge
Horticultural Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 6, 2016
Working as a horticulturist was a job that requires much patience and dedication. Pulling weeds, planting flowers and trees, and watering require attention to detail.

I learned how to properly take care of plants, how to prune correctly and how to adequately water a variety of plants.

Management is available, however not very approachable.

Coworkers work together however, the job is very task orientated that does not foster a tremendous amount of teamwork. Can often feel isolated in a task.

Hardest part of the job was braving the heat on a daily basis.

The most enjoyable part of the job was watching a flower bed progress throughout the summer and seeing the finished product.
Pros
Working outside, some teamwork, fun co-workers
Cons
Management can be demanding
Productive workplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 25, 2016
It was a manual labor job in occasional intense heat. I worked with a productive co-worker and was able to accomplish a lot during a summer.
Basic Goverment Job
Recreation Facility Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSOctober 2, 2014
Basic secure city government job, needs better management.
Fun Part Time Job
Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 6, 2013
As a lifeguard this is an excellent opportunity for part time work (or even full time as a student) however it is not somewhere you stay if you want to advance. A typical day includes cleaning, guarding the pool, responding to emergencies and patron issues, and planning and teaching swimming lessons. The schedule is fairly flexible due to the large number of guards available and they will work with you. It is a very fun loving environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with patron issues but your co-workers make it enjoyable. In this job I learned about keeping a delicate balance between instructing patrons and being respectful to keep them happy. I also learned about time management and planning and gained hands on experience teaching several age levels on my own, from toddler to elementary school.
Pros
fun work environment, flexible schedule
Cons
low pay, little room for advancement
I enjoy the environment and my co-workers, but there is little room for growth.
Administrative Support II (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 4, 2012
It's never a typical day at work and always different on a daily basis.

I've learned I need to be extremely flexible and to know all aspects of everyone's job to fill in when needed.

I absolutely love my co-worker and they have been a joy work with for the last 4 1/2 years. They all have a great sense of humor.

The hardest part of my job is nothing stays the same and you have to always learn new things on a daily basis and be willing to fill in where ever needed at a minutes notice.

The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the customers in the office on a walk-in basis and/or incoming calls for customer service and the city switchboard.
I enjoy working with special needs children
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Lawrence maNovember 14, 2012
I deal with parents, home visit, teach in small group. I work with 7-8 graders. my job is full time.
Pros
vacations, bonus
Cons
not enough money
Is a good place to work the people are nice.
Utilities Operator (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 5, 2012
Is a good place to work. The people who you work with make the job interesting.
Pros
good retirement.
Cons
to many politics.